Too Early 2018 Predictions

5 1 3

Well, now that the NBA & NHL officially wrapped up their seasons - and not much club to talk about until nationals, who will be the best players and teams next year?

I would think St. X, Ignatius, and Darby would be the front runners - probably in that order.

I'm sure Alter will 5 peat as D2 will be even worse next year than it was this past year - and they bring back Rose who I'm sure is all but guaranteed the D2 POY next season.

Thoughts??

Unfortuantely for Ignatius, I would expect them to revert back to the mean for them. Maybe 5th or 6th best team in the state. X for me is the front runner with 4 returning starters, including their two best players from this past year Pung and Huber.

I would have Elder and Darby as the 2 and 3, not necessarily in that order. Both return 3 starters I believe.

Moeller has Kiser back, who will absolutely dominate next year, but Moeller only returns one other starter, and has a lot of question marks.

Mikesch will likely carry Beavercreek to the West #1, but Lakota East may challenge for that spot. East is a wildcard. Starting 4 sophomores at times last season all of whom are on the top club teams. They could become the new Westerville South with a "Golden Generation" of players coming through.

My (Poor) Predictions
1. X
2. Elder
3. Darby
4. Moeller
5. Alter
6. Ignatius
7. Beavercreek
8. Lakota East
9. Centerville
10. Northmont

Bigger D1 programs tend to reload, as they have plenty of guys developing behind the starters. I would guess the top tier teams to do just that. D2 a different story, as a lot more difficult with limited number of players.

Of the D1 teams at state this year, I would go with the following:
1. St. X - bring back strong core of starters with a dominant OH (Pung), and great libero (Huber) to control the defense and passing.
2. Darby - Have one of the top setters (Platfoot) in the state, and they develop their players pretty well. They have some returning height which always helps.
3. Elder - graduated some heavy hitters in Klusman, Koenig, Witte and their libero, but still a good core returning.
4. St. Iggy - lost some key players (setter, OH, MB), but their defense will keep them in matches
5. Moeller - def hurt by graduation but i'm sure they have kid waiting their turn
6. Lakota East - started 4 sophomores most of the season should boost their confidence going into next season. Will miss Evan Kuhlman--but they finished half their season without him regardless.
7. Northmont - key players returning including a strong setter (Foy), middle (Blankenship) and OH/MB (Walker). Think they will be one of the top teams in the West.

Beavercreek and Centerville both lose a lot to graduation. Creek has a few starters returning, including Mikesch and Abbitt, which should help. Centerville has a big OH returning (Skerl) and a lot of role players.

East region will be another rising D1 program --could Olentangy make the trip next year? or revert back to Davidson?

North 2nd spot up for grabs with St. Eds, Brunswick, Jackson. Jackson had a fairly young team after graduated a lot of players from their 2016 regional championship team.

D2 is always harder. Of the Final Four teams, all team besides Alter graduated all their big players. Hoban loses most of their starting line-up, although returning setter Leyden. Scioto loses most of their varsity team, including Derek Topp. McNicholas loses all their offense, but might have enough to return. Alter returns 5 junior starters, so they will most likely be the front runner again. I'd expect some surprise teams to pop up (like Scioto, Fenwick over the past few years) Walsh will battle Hoban to take back the north, East between St. Charles and DeSales, South Badin could make some noise, returning a lot of their young team. Might be enough to dethrone McNich. In the West, Fenwick graduated their big lefty, but return their setter, middle, and other role players. Carroll loses their big hitters, but return a setter, libero, OH and CJ loses their big gun, but will bring back a lot. I'd rank like this:

1. Alter - until someone else beats them in the postseason
2. St. Charles - return good core of players
3. Walsh - best team in the north?
4. Carroll - enough returning to crack the top 4

Bigger D1 programs tend to reload, as they have plenty of guys developing behind the starters. I would guess the top tier teams to do just that. D2 a different story, as a lot more difficult with limited number of players.

Of the D1 teams at state this year, I would go with the following:
1. St. X - bring back strong core of starters with a dominant OH (Pung), and great libero (Huber) to control the defense and passing.
2. Darby - Have one of the top setters (Platfoot) in the state, and they develop their players pretty well. They have some returning height which always helps.
3. Elder - graduated some heavy hitters in Klusman, Koenig, Witte and their libero, but still a good core returning.
4. St. Iggy - lost some key players (setter, OH, MB), but their defense will keep them in matches
5. Moeller - def hurt by graduation but i'm sure they have kid waiting their turn
6. Lakota East - started 4 sophomores most of the season should boost their confidence going into next season. Will miss Evan Kuhlman--but they finished half their season without him regardless.
7. Northmont - key players returning including a strong setter (Foy), middle (Blankenship) and OH/MB (Walker). Think they will be one of the top teams in the West.

Beavercreek and Centerville both lose a lot to graduation. Creek has a few starters returning, including Mikesch and Abbitt, which should help. Centerville has a big OH returning (Skerl) and a lot of role players.

East region will be another rising D1 program --could Olentangy make the trip next year? or revert back to Davidson?

North 2nd spot up for grabs with St. Eds, Brunswick, Jackson. Jackson had a fairly young team after graduated a lot of players from their 2016 regional championship team.

D2 is always harder. Of the Final Four teams, all team besides Alter graduated all their big players. Hoban loses most of their starting line-up, although returning setter Leyden. Scioto loses most of their varsity team, including Derek Topp. McNicholas loses all their offense, but might have enough to return. Alter returns 5 junior starters, so they will most likely be the front runner again. I'd expect some surprise teams to pop up (like Scioto, Fenwick over the past few years) Walsh will battle Hoban to take back the north, East between St. Charles and DeSales, South Badin could make some noise, returning a lot of their young team. Might be enough to dethrone McNich. In the West, Fenwick graduated their big lefty, but return their setter, middle, and other role players. Carroll loses their big hitters, but return a setter, libero, OH and CJ loses their big gun, but will bring back a lot. I'd rank like this:

1. Alter - until someone else beats them in the postseason
2. St. Charles - return good core of players
3. Walsh - best team in the north?
4. Carroll - enough returning to crack the top 4

I think Badin is going to top McNick this year - like you said, McNick graduated basically all of their hitters. Badin was solid, and I think will take the south spot with a weakened McNick.

CJ was pretty lackluster without their one big hitter, doubt they make much noise.

In D1, X looks to be the favorite behind Pung and Huber, McCarthy also returning (athletic but inconsistent OH). They had a pretty good JV team as well.

Elder should be hot on their heals, though. Daeschner was one of the best players at the state tournament- especially for a junior. He will lead the team with a returning OH (Albers) and middle (Schatzman). Stapleton could end up being a solid OPP as a big lefty.

Darby always develops athletes into ballers well - so I expect them to be around.

Moeller usually reloads as well, although I'm less familiar with their up-and comers.

1. X
2. Darby
3. Moeller
4. St Ignatius
5. Elder

I had St Ignatius as my team to watch heading into last offseason, let's see if we can make it 2 in a row. Beavercreek is the wildcard with Mikesch.

ADS, why is Elder so low? Especially when I compare them to Moeller the Panther talent level seems to be higher. Potential starting lineups for each:

Elder
S - Daeschner
MH - Schatzman
MH - Hicks
OH- Albers
OH - ?
OPP - Stapleton
L - Dirr?

Moeller
S- Peed
MH - Kiser, C
MH - ??
OH - Devolve
OH - Gallagher
OPP - Kiser, B
L - Burnett

The Elder sophomores have a lot of work ahead of them. Not so worried about Albers, Daeschner and Schatzman, but outside of those three there's not much experience behind it. By end of season they'll be right there competing for a State Tournament spot but March and beginning part of April will be tough for them IMO.

ADS, why is Elder so low? Especially when I compare them to Moeller the Panther talent level seems to be higher. Potential starting lineups for each:

Elder
S - Daeschner
MH - Schatzman
MH - Hicks
OH- Albers
OH - ?
OPP - Stapleton
L - Dirr?

Moeller
S- Peed
MH - Kiser, C
MH - ??
OH - Devolve
OH - Gallagher
OPP - Kiser, B
L - Burnett
Hicks probably isn't starting for Elder next year. Their JV team had some talent that could step into roles. I believe Eary was on the top Attack team as a MH. Hargett as well as an OH, although he's not on the attack website. And Wauligman may come in to play Stapletons back row to run a 6-2. Plus there's Hoffman as another potential returning piece. And Bernard from their JV team will probably step in at libero.

As for Moeller, their junior class is extremely bare, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pull up the sophomores to varsity. Owens isn't a bad OH as a junior, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Fuller or Haas bypass him.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Tough loss for Darby, not sure how much it will affect them as they seem to have developed a pretty strong program. Though Webb was the one who took them to the next level, no denying his contributions in building that program. Will be interesting to see if there's any drop off.

Any speculation as to who may take over?

Unofficially Evan Bell. He's a young guy, newer OSU grad and starts teaching FT this fall at Darby. He also is the Darby JV coach and Varsity Asst. Coach. Last several years a Van Guard coach. A Hilliard grad. The grooming process has been happening for last couple seasons. Unofficial at this time however Darby players and parents hopeful.

Unofficially Evan Bell. He's a young guy, newer OSU grad and starts teaching FT this fall at Darby. He also is the Darby JV coach and Varsity Asst. Coach. Last several years a Van Guard coach. A Hilliard grad. The grooming process has been happening for last couple seasons. Unofficial at this time however Darby players and parents hopeful.

It's official. Evan Bell new Darby coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the expectations for him? Going to be tough trying to follow in Coach Webb's footsteps, especially with a down year in talent this coming season (By Darby's standards)

What are the expectations for him? Going to be tough trying to follow in Coach Webb's footsteps, especially with a down year in talent this coming season (By Darby's standards)

Expectations have not changed. He's been hand picked and groomed by Webb for a couple of years now. State Tourney and title is expectation. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let's try this again this year to get some posts prior to club starting - (cannot choose your school/teammates)

Best Ohio offensive player:
Best Ohio defensive player:
Player you'd want on your team:
Match you'd like to see this year:
Coach you’d most like to play for:
D1 State Champ:
D2 State Champ:
D1 Sleeper Team:
D2 Sleeper Team:

My choices in bold
let's try this again this year to get some posts prior to club starting - (cannot choose your school/teammates)

Best Ohio offensive player: Pung
Best Ohio defensive player: Mikesch
Player you'd want on your team: Mikesch, unless picking him above rules him out. Second choice, Huber
Match you'd like to see this year: X vs Darby
Coach you’d most like to play for: Erford
D1 State Champ: St Xavier
D2 State Champ: Alter
D1 Sleeper Team: Beavercreek?
D2 Sleeper Team: Unknown

Best Ohio offensive player: Platfoot
Best Ohio defensive player:Mikesch
Player you'd want on your team:Mikesch
Match you'd like to see this year: St X vs Darby
Coach you’d most like to play for: Seislove
D1 State Champ: St X
D2 State Champ: Alter
D1 Sleeper Team: olentangy
D2 Sleeper Team: Badin

Best Ohio offensive player: Pung (no one else that produced like him as a JR)
Best Ohio defensive player: Mikesch
Player you'd want on your team: Mikesch
Match you'd like to see this year: Beavercreek (watching Mikesch is just fun) vs. St. X
Coach you’d most like to play for: would have been Webb...
D1 State Champ: Darby (I'm not sure Pung will have enough support to carry St X through the whole weekend)
D2 State Champ: Alter b/c of course
D1 Sleeper Team: not sure...
D2 Sleeper Team: I think Badin will be the South rep at state