Tommy Kraemer

I did not see the game. But I know he was in the game. Per the box score it lists Tommy as recovering a fumble.

Thank you.

I hope his performance on the field did not mirror the Lions overall performance.

Regardless, he is amongst a select "few" that have played in a NFL game.

And the answer was undrafted rookie that cut by one of the worst teams in the league?

Of course not, but using a 7th round pick or signing him as an undrafted free agent is very low risk with a lot of upside. Kramer is smart, and you know he will be dedicated to do whatever he can to make the 53 man roster. It's called depth and building for the future.

Also, he was not cut. He played in the game yesterday. I guess you missed that.

Of course not, but using a 7th round pick or signing him as an undrafted free agent is very low risk with a lot of upside. Kramer is smart, and you know he will be dedicated to do whatever he can to make the 53 man roster. It's called depth and building for the future.

And before that he was cut.

Him and pretty much every other practice squad player to ever play. I understand being a homer and wanting our own to do well, but let's not act like he's something special at the NFL level. I hope he develops and becomes something special, but, right now, he's just another guy. No team thought he was worth any draft capital and that's okay. He's already done what billions of people have failed to do and that's play in the NFL; it's a big accomplishment for him.

Also, the Bengals had already drafted 3 linemen (2nd, 4th, 6th rounds) by the 7th round and drafted a DE in the 7th. Unfortunately, both of the DEs they took ended up on season-ending IR.

Last edited:

You do know that the Practice Squad is for some Players who the Team feels maybe part of the future? You do know that almost every Player on a Practice Squad was Cut then Signed to the Practice Squad? He may get cut again today and Sign again with the Lions Practice School tomorrow. That’s how the NFL works and Tommy knows it. He keep grinding like he always has!

You do know that the Practice Squad is for some Players who the Team feels maybe part of the future? You do know that almost every Player on a Practice Squad was Cut then Signed to the Practice Squad? He may get cut again today and Sign again with the Lions Practice School tomorrow. That’s how the NFL works and Tommy knows it. He keep grinding like he always has!
Yes, Tommy is experiencing what it it like to be an undrafted free agent in the NFL. He played 4 snaps in Sundays game. And then because of the shuffling of the Lions roster to bring players back, was waived this week. And then he was resigned to the practice squad again.

He is learning what it takes to be an NFL caliber OL. He is gaining experience and knowledge. Then if he decides he wants to continue and make this a career, he can work on those things in the off season which will increase his odds of staying on a teams 53 player roster.(strength, techinque, etc)

All the best to him wherever his journey takes him.

Lions bring back OL Tommy Kraemer to the practice squad​

Jeff Risdon
Thu, November 4, 2021, 10:18 AM

341c981db774045007104a73ad0c85ab

The players aren’t practicing this week during the bye, but the Detroit Lions still made a tweak to the team’s practice squad on Thursday. In an expected move, the Lions brought back rookie offensive lineman Tommy Kraemer to the practice squad.

Kraemer made his NFL debut in Sunday’s 44-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, playing the final four offensive snaps. The undrafted rookie from Notre Dame signed to the active roster during the week. He was waived on Monday to help make room for the return of LT Taylor Decker and DE Kevin Strong from injured reserve.

To make room for Kraemer, the Lions released veteran cornerback Daryl Worley. They had made the same transactional series with Worley one week earlier, signing him back to the practice squad a week after putting him on the active roster due to injuries at his position.

Yes, Tommy is experiencing what it it like to be an undrafted free agent in the NFL. He played 4 snaps in Sundays game. And then because of the shuffling of the Lions roster to bring players back, was waived this week. And then he was resigned to the practice squad again.

He is learning what it takes to be an NFL caliber OL. He is gaining experience and knowledge. Then if he decides he wants to continue and make this a career, he can work on those things in the off season which will increase his odds of staying on a teams 53 player roster.(strength, techinque, etc)

All the best to him wherever his journey takes him.

Lions bring back OL Tommy Kraemer to the practice squad​

Jeff Risdon
Thu, November 4, 2021, 10:18 AM

341c981db774045007104a73ad0c85ab

The players aren’t practicing this week during the bye, but the Detroit Lions still made a tweak to the team’s practice squad on Thursday. In an expected move, the Lions brought back rookie offensive lineman Tommy Kraemer to the practice squad.

Kraemer made his NFL debut in Sunday’s 44-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, playing the final four offensive snaps. The undrafted rookie from Notre Dame signed to the active roster during the week. He was waived on Monday to help make room for the return of LT Taylor Decker and DE Kevin Strong from injured reserve.

To make room for Kraemer, the Lions released veteran cornerback Daryl Worley. They had made the same transactional series with Worley one week earlier, signing him back to the practice squad a week after putting him on the active roster due to injuries at his position.
Exactly

With the Lions playing Cleveland I decided to give the Lions webpage a quick look to see if Tommy was activated. He is not. "Butt", I did see that they have a picture attached to his name on the Practice Squad Roster. It is of No. 65 of the Colts, "Butt". --- For kicks and giggles I did send the Lions a quick note and complimented their sense of humor as there is nothing else to compliment.

image.jpg

Tommy Kraemer​

G​

#78​

Experience: R
Height: 6-6
Weight: 319 lbs
College: Notre Dame

Last edited:
With the Lions playing Cleveland I decided to give the Lions webpage a quick look to see if Tommy was activated. He is not. "Butt", I did see that they have a picture attached to his name on the Practice Squad Roster. It is of No. 65 of the Colts, "Butt". --- For kicks and giggles I did send the Lions a quick note and complimented their sense of humor as there is nothing else to compliment.

View attachment 23814

Tommy Kraemer​

G​

#78​

Experience: R
Height: 6-6
Weight: 319 lbs
College: Notre Dame
Tommy Kraemer came into the game yesterday in the second quarter at right guard and played the rest of the way. He did a nice job. Could Kraemer and Sewell be the future right side of the OL for the Detroit Lions? Maybe he will get a start on Thanksgiving?

Injury report: Right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai left the game in the second quarter to be evaluated for a concussion. He never returned to the contest. Tommy Kraemer took over the rest of the way.

Tommy took 33 of the 48 offensive snaps (69%). Taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him, even if it is on bad Detroit Lions team.

Injury report: Right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai left the game in the second quarter to be evaluated for a concussion. He never returned to the contest. Tommy Kraemer took over the rest of the way.

Tommy took 33 of the 48 offensive snaps (69%). Taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him, even if it is on bad Detroit Lions team.
Can you help me understand? I checked the Transactions listing on the Detroit Lions Webpage.
It shows
11/23
The Detroit Lions sign G Tommy Kraemer to the active roster from the practice squad and place DE Da'Shawn Hand on Reserve/Injured.

I thought he had to be active in order to play. Clearly, that is not the case. Is the rule something along the lines of a Practice Squad player can enter a game but must be added to the Active List within a certain time following the game?

If a practice squad player is promoted to the active roster for game day due to Covid , then he reverts back to the practice squad immediately after the game. So that probably happened. And then today they activated him again to replace this guy who is going on IR. The positive here is that this might mean he is on the active roster for the foreseeable future and won’t be yo yo up and down on a weekly basis.

Can you help me understand? I checked the Transactions listing on the Detroit Lions Webpage.
It shows
11/23
The Detroit Lions sign G Tommy Kraemer to the active roster from the practice squad and place DE Da'Shawn Hand on Reserve/Injured.

I thought he had to be active in order to play. Clearly, that is not the case. Is the rule something along the lines of a Practice Squad player can enter a game but must be added to the Active List within a certain time following the game?
Here is a good article from the Detroit newspaper on Saturday explaining the rules and the roster moves. Apparently there are new rules this year that apply to the OL.

Warning, you might have to be a Harvard lawyer to understand all the nuances.

Here is a good article from the Detroit newspaper on Saturday explaining the rules and the roster moves. Apparently there are new rules this year that apply to the OL.

Warning, you might have to be a Harvard lawyer to understand all the nuances.

Thanks, it was a good read. --- I guess I will need to look more closely for day before game day transactions. Base on what I read, I would have thought the transaction date on the Lions website would have been 11/20.

Good to hear he had a great deal of playing time.

Tommy is getting playing time today against the Chicago Bears. And some high praise from his coach.

"In a corresponding move, the Lions signed rookie guard Tommy Kraemer from the practice squad. Last week, Kraemer was elevated to the active roster and ended up playing 33 snaps when starting right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai suffered a concussion early in the game. With Vaitai still in concussion protocol, Kraemer is likely to make his first career start on Thursday against the Bears.

Head coach Dan Campbell liked what he saw of Kraemer last week against the Browns.

“I thought he did some good things,” coach Dan Campbell said of Kraemer filling in last game. “He didn’t bat an eye. We liked what we saw. We like Kraemer, he’s kinda a tough, gritty guy, and he’s smart, and he’s growing. We’ve been giving him center reps in practice, so he’s been guard and center, and he’s just a good quality dude. He comes to work, puts it in, and you like him, he’s tough.”

Tommy started and played the entire game today in the Lions upset victory over the Arizona Cardinals. As opportunities present themselves Tommy seems to be taking advantage of them. That will bode well for him for next year if he is signed by the Lions or because of his play this year, will draw enough interest from another team to sign him.

From the Lions Wire article:

"The two rookies on the offensive line had an exceptional game. First-round pick Penei Sewell started at right tackle and once again made sure his starting quarterback wasn’t sacked. Filling in for Jonah Jackson at left guard was undrafted rookie Tommy Kraemer. Kraemer had a rough go of things in his last start, but he more than made up for it against Arizona. The rookie committed no penalties and held his own against the Cardinals’ top-ranked defense."

Meanwhile, Joe Burrow has been sacked 44 times this season the most of any QB in the NFL.

Congratulations to Kraemer for making the most of his opportunity. It sounds like he will stick around for awhile.

Meanwhile, Joe Burrow has been sacked 44 times this season the most of any QB in the NFL.

Congratulations to Kraemer for making the most of his opportunity. It sounds like he will stick around for awhile.
Yes he has, and the offensive line is definitely not good, but Joe tends to hold on to the ball too long and tries to make plays happen from time to time.

Also, the Bengals could (some say should) have drafted Tommy's teammate Penei Sewell in the first round.

Here is an article on the Lions interior offensive line battle heading into training camp. Kraemer is projected to make the team, but could be in a battle with Logan Stenberg who is in his 3rd year if the Lions only take 5 interior oline instead of 6. He will certainly be signed back to practice squad if they would cut him from the active roster for some reason.

Kraemer was tendered a 1 year contract by the Lions back in March as an exclusive-rights free agent. He will make $825,000 if he makes the team.

A player is considered an exclusive-rights free agent if they are on an expiring contract and have fewer than three accrued seasons. The tender is a one-year, veteran minimum contract and prohibits those players from negotiating with other teams.

Tommy is looking to lock up the last roster spot on the offensive line for the Detroit Lions as the preseason moves forward. Would be great to see him on the roster and not the practice squad.

From Lionswire

Offensive line (8)​

In: Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson, Frank Ragnow, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Penei Sewell, Evan Brown, Matt Nelson, Tommy Kraemer

Out: Logan Stenberg, Dan Skipper, Obinna Eze, Kevin Jarvis, Ryan McCollum, Kendall Lamm, Darrin Paulo

There is no dispute over who the starting five linemen are for the Lions. Behind them, Evan Brown is the primary backup at center and both guard spots. The Lions will likely keep eight lineman like they did last season, which leaves two open backup roles.

At tackle, Matt Nelson has a leg up despite not having his best game against Atlanta. It’s not that he is the best option for Detroit, but more that the other tackles on the roster bubble struggled even more. Eze and Lamm both looked lost throughout their time on the field and struggled to keep up with the Falcons’ backup defenders.

Tommy Kraemer is getting the nod as the final lineman on the roster partially due to his successes last season. Kraemer started at guard for three games in 2021 and proved serviceable enough to stick around. Stenberg simply hasn’t proven himself over the last two seasons and this offseason hasn’t helped his case much.

This from Tim Twentyman

Working in: I didn't catch if Halapoulivaati Vaitai was at practice early and left or wasn't at practice at all, but Tommy Kraemer got the majority of the work at right guard Monday with Vaitai not taking part. Kraemer played in nine games with three starts last season. He's a solid reserve the Lions are excited about. – Tim Twentyman

And this from Heavy.com

Offensive Line (7)​

• Frank Ragnow, Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson, Penei Sewell, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Tommy Kraemer, Matt Nelson
This line will offer the Lions some solid starters as well as some good depth in Brown and Kraemer, both of whom proved their worth to the team late in the 2021-22 season.

Detroit is expected to have one of the best offensive lines in football this season, and these guys will prove it to be the case in a big way.

There are others to watch here, including Evan Brown, Logan Stenberg and Dan Skipper, any of whom could be stashed for depth’s sake. Also keep an eye on undrafted free agent Obinna Eze. If he doesn’t make the team, he could be an easy bet for inclusion on the practice squad as well as a candidate for a call up if things go well

Tommy looked pretty good. Was tuning in to see how Ridder did at QB for Atl and remembered Tommy was on the OL for Det. Ended up watching a lot more of the game than I intended.

Any information on Tommy making the Lion's roster ?
Here is the final breakdown of the Lions offensive line. Who made the roster and who was left off.

OFFENSIVE LINE (9)
On the roster:
Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson, Frank Ragnow, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Penei Sewell, Evan Brown, Matt Nelson, Tommy Kraemer, Logan Stenberg

Missing cut: Obinna Eze, Kevin Jarvis (waived injured), Darrin Paulo, Kendall Lamm, Dan Skipper

Final Verdict: No real surprises here. Kraemer did a nice job last year when asked to play. The team likes his future, along with the future of Stenberg. Brown is one of the best backup centers in the NFL. The starting five of Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai and Sewell has a chance to be one of the best in football. This is a real strength of this football team heading into the regular season.

Last edited:
When you realize the long odds Tommy has overcome to get to this point (undrafted) it really is awesome. Like each of the Elder NFL players I have had the chance to interact with (Kyle, Jake, Eric, etc) Elder could not ask for better representatives. Altiora!!!

Now let's hope he can stick around making NFL money for a few years and qualify for the pension. That is life changing money!

Congratulations to Tommy.

It's also satisfying to see so many yappi posters eat crow on this. Meanwhile, the Bengals are trying to decide if their prized 2nd round pick Jackson Carman is a bust and need to cut him or not. And their 7th round pick that draft has hung up his cleats due to injuries.