Toledo Scott Playoff Watch

Nash

Scott is the only original 1972 playoff team that has never made a return appearance. In fact, outside of a couple defunct schools, it looks like no other team has failed to return to the playoffs until Holgate made its only appearance in 1984, although Holgate did win a playoff game. Currently the Bulldogs are 5-2 and in 9th place in Region 14. They lost a tough overtime game against previously 1-win Rogers last week, and are probably an underdog against 2-5 Start this week, with games remaining against 2-4 Waite and 0-8 Woodward.

Was this program really strong in the early 1970s? Remember that only the regional champion qualified back then. I have been watching the progress of Scott since week 3

Scott should win Woodward easily enough. Linden McKinley and John Hay should get them three wins of L2s. They are already in barring covid or disruption.

By the transitive numbers from Start and Rogers games, Waite is a bit more than a TD better. It won't be a huge upset if Scott wins on their home field. The major problem there is the very small visitor stands and Waite travels well, particularly to an East-west game. Good years and bad years, this is often the most competitive hard hitting game I see, more than Waite-Clay. It will be again. The school crowds will be behaved, the coaches will be way ahead with the teams to keep them civil when the hitting gets hard but security should be tight to avoid outsiders wanting to make noise.

Maybe Scott's cannabis benefactor will give out some free samples to calm the crowd. A visit from Snoop Dog would be great.

Yes, I said over a week ago they were guaranteed. Try to keep up people. :D
No comment, for reasons of civility.

Credit to their AD and first year coach for getting 4 OOC wins onto the schedule. Going through the records of the teams they beat, I see other teams that also beat them comparably and that are also going to playoffs. Some in higher divisions. The Edison-Vermillion and Scott-Vermillions scores almost identical. There are a few teams on Scott conquered Linden-Mckinley's win list as well as Linden-Mckinley that will go to play-offs. Likewise on John Hay's.

They played the games. They won the games. Their record shows it and I'll guarantee they are nowhere near the weakest team that will be in play-offs be it their division or the one above them. So why the focus on Scott? Your answer, for reasons of civility?

Credit to their AD and first year coach for getting 4 OOC wins onto the schedule. Going through the records of the teams they beat, I see other teams that also beat them comparably and that are also going to playoffs. Some in higher divisions. The Edison-Vermillion and Scott-Vermillions scores almost identical. There are a few teams on Scott conquered Linden-Mckinley's win list as well as Linden-Mckinley that will go to play-offs. Likewise on John Hay's.

They played the games. They won the games. Their record shows it and I'll guarantee they are nowhere near the weakest team that will be in play-offs be it their division or the one above them. So why the focus on Scott? Your answer, for reasons of civility?

I said weeks ago that had they gone 9-1 they were not only in, they were in the top 10 in response to to someone claiming because of a weak schedule they'd be lucky to make it period even at 9-1.

People have zero understanding of how Harbin's actually work, not realizing that it doesn't matter whether Linden or Hay are especially GOOD. They're points cows and those wins look great. That it didn't matter if the other 5 in the City League combined for 1 win at the time, because there would be 10 guaranteed wins for anyone going 5-0 in the league.

I agree with your position here, and based on the fact they're comfortably in at 6-4 or 5-5, I'd say I was 100% right with my position of 9-1 or 8-2 puts them top 10 as well.

Will they win a game? Probably not. Will it be close? Depends on the matchup, but chances are no. But they're in.

scott may be in but didnt get help from john hay last week to a smaller team in brooklyn(4-5)brooklyn usually is a bad team then john hay plays at mighty glenville,being a cleveland city league game usually plays at 3:00 on fridays and john hay should get drilled by glenville.

scott may be in but didnt get help from john hay last week to a smaller team in brooklyn(4-5)brooklyn usually is a bad team then john hay plays at mighty glenville,being a cleveland city league game usually plays at 3:00 on fridays and john hay should get drilled by glenville.

At this point, what opponents do isn't going to affect many of the lower 8 in any division/region. They're solidly in. We're pointing out one team of many that are going to have first round struggles.

I think the more interesting story might be those in the lower 8 because they had a tough schedule but really will be competitive in their first round games. Fewer teams to talk about for sure. :D

Scott racked up points against the Cleveland and Columbus inner-city teams, but are those leagues that much worse than the Toledo City League, where Scott has struggled?

Scott racked up points against the Cleveland and Columbus inner-city teams, but are those leagues that much worse than the Toledo City League, where Scott has struggled?

Columbus South is much stronger than the North. It's likely Linden doesn't finish higher than 3rd or 4th in the South with Eastmoor, South, Independence, Marion-Franklin, and Africentric (who Linden did beat at least). The North has Beeccroft and Linden and 50 feet of crap.

Seeing the 4 that Hay beat in the Senate, Scott and most of the TCL would have handled them easily. Well, except Woodward.

Glenville would beat any TCL team easily enough. Rhodes maybe all but Start. That would be a game I suspect. On the Columbus side?

I know nothing about them, but found out through research that my great grandmother went to school there. Found her picture in a 1930 yearbook, the Scottonian I believe it was called. I never knew anything about her as she passed when my dad was young and neither my Grandpa or Great Grandpa would speak about her sudden death from the Hong Kong flu of 68/69. So in this Covid time (which I currently am getting over at home) I see it fitting they make the playoffs.

I didn't even realize until now that Start is also in the playoffs for the second time ever, Rogers has a good chance and even Waite could make its first ever appearance as well.

I didn't even realize until now that Start is also in the playoffs for the second time ever, Rogers has a good chance and even Waite could make its first ever appearance as well.
because start non conference schedule which started 0-5 ,but playing teams like clyde,bellevue,fremont ross and whitmer helped prepared them for playoffs plus if start beats rogers,they win outright the toledo city league if lose to rogers,then rogers and start shares the title at 4-1.

It will be Starts 3rd time making the playoffs. all with in the last 6 years.

The staff over at Scott is doing one heck of a job getting the kids pumped up each week. It's one hell of staff, the best coaches from Woodward from the past few years, and some of Start's old coaches.

I wasn't a fan of the expansion, but because of it I believe this will be the first time ever that TPS will have more than one team in the playoffs let alone the chance to have 4! Hopefully, this is the boost they need to help build the numbers up.

If Roger's wins, there will be 3 teams as 4-1 sharing the title: Start, Rogers and Waite
but i feel since waite beat rogers then lost to start the following week,i dont think start will lose to rogers at home and will finish 5-0 TCL.

Last edited:
but i feel since waite beat rogers then lost to start the following week,i dont think start will lose to rogers at home and will finish 5-0 TCL.
Yeah, very likely. Waite gave Start their only close game but from what I heard Start's depth and some timely mistakes kept Waite off their game all night.

It will be Starts 3rd time making the playoffs. all with in the last 6 years.

The staff over at Scott is doing one heck of a job getting the kids pumped up each week. It's one hell of staff, the best coaches from Woodward from the past few years, and some of Start's old coaches.

I wasn't a fan of the expansion, but because of it I believe this will be the first time ever that TPS will have more than one team in the playoffs let alone the chance to have 4! Hopefully, this is the boost they need to help build the numbers up.
Thanks, it seems like it's been more than once but the OHSAA info was wrong I guess.

I'm personally happy for all of the City League teams! Hopefully somebody can get a win week 11. Who will be the 1st ever TPS school to win a play off game?

well it looks like that john hay is not going to help toledo scott today. about to start the 4th quarter and glenville leads john hay 35-6. this game is on the cleveland senate league channel. just updated glenville 41 john hay 6 final score

Last edited:
I'm certainly rooting for Scott. I always thought it was a little bit curious that they qualified when only 12 teams total qualified but never again.

I happened to see their lone playoff game because it was against a local team, Warren Western Reserve, so a few of us went to see them play. It was part of a double header down at OSU. Massillon vs Cincy Princeton was the other game.

Scott lost 23-15 to the eventual state champ but it was a closer game than that. As I remember it Scott jumped out to a 15-0 lead on two TD passes the first of which I believe was a 50+ yarder. I think both scores were in the first quarter. Ross Browner, known mainly for his defensive play of course, scored Reserve's first TD on a short pass reception in the 2nd quarter. They went for two and made it to trail 15-8 at half. It stayed that way until the 4th quarter when Reserve scored and again went for two. They made that also and led 16-15. Finally the Raiders intercepted a Scott pass around midfield and went on to score the last TD with under a minute to play. The Raiders then beat Princeton 37-6 in the final to win the first ever AAA playoff state championship.

GO BULLDOGS!

I'm certainly rooting for Scott. I always thought it was a little bit curious that they qualified when only 12 teams total qualified but never again.

I happened to see their lone playoff game because it was against a local team, Warren Western Reserve, so a few of us went to see them play. It was part of a double header down at OSU. Massillon vs Cincy Princeton was the other game.

Scott lost 23-15 to the eventual state champ but it was a closer game than that. As I remember it Scott jumped out to a 15-0 lead on two TD passes the first of which I believe was a 50+ yarder. I think both scores were in the first quarter. Ross Browner, known mainly for his defensive play of course, scored Reserve's first TD on a short pass reception in the 2nd quarter. They went for two and made it to trail 15-8 at half. It stayed that way until the 4th quarter when Reserve scored and again went for two. They made that also and led 16-15. Finally the Raiders intercepted a Scott pass around midfield and went on to score the last TD with under a minute to play. The Raiders then beat Princeton 37-6 in the final to win the first ever AAA playoff state championship.

GO BULLDOGS!

Lots has changed in Toledo in the last 45 years. From job loss to increasing crime to population loss, and then in 1965 St. John's opened making the city a 3 Catholic school town instead of 2. I know Scott used to be a national power back in the day, but sadly those days are long gone for almost all inner city publics.

If expanded playoffs helps at all, I hope it shows kids in the city publics they can play for something instead of being the forgotten kids. Maybe some renewed excitement and interest can bring back some athletes that otherwise either don't bother or quickly transfer out. And that goes for ALL of the big cities, not just Toledo.