Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

NWOsportfan

Figured we could start a new thread for this year.

Based upon some previous postings the favorites and top teams in ea. league are as followed:

TRAC - Whitmer, St. John's, Lima SR, Ross, TCC (lots of talent in this conference)

City - Scott, Start, Rogers

NLL - Northview, Perrysburg, Bowling Green, Anthony Wayne

NBC - Rossford, Genoa, Eastwood

NWOAL - Swanton, Patrick Henry, Archbold

TAAC - Emmanuel Christian, Toledo Christian, Stritch

Northview/Rogers this Friday in a scrimmage. Rossford going to Sandusky with Shelby.

Whitmer hosting Massillon Jackson and Pick Central this Saturday.

Bowling Green scrimmaged Bowser Sat morning and heard it was close. BG doesn’t have the Hastings kid yet though. he hurt his knee in the last football game but is supposed to be ready to go by the start of the season.

Rossford scrimmaged Maumee/Evergreen last night. Any word on how that went?

Perrysburg's at Defiance tonight.

Rossford scrimmaged Maumee/Evergreen last night. Any word on how that went?

Perrysburg's at Defiance tonight.
I'll be at the Pburg scrimmage tonight.

I would assume Rossford did well. Maumee should'nt be very good. Not sure about Evergreen.

Perrysburg looked like a team that had only one practice with 4 of their top 7 being on the football team (3 starters). First practice together was yesterday.

1Q: Defiance 17-4
2Q: Pburg 18-15
3Q: Defiance 17-16
4Q: Defiance 19-5
5Q: Pburg 13-12
6Q: Pburg 21-8
7Q: Pburg 10-9

10:00 running clock for each Q

Defiance is pretty good and will contend in their conference with OG. They shot the ball well early. They looked like a team that has been practicing together for a few weeks.

Perrysburg looked like a team that had only one practice with 4 of their top 7 being on the football team (3 starters). First practice together was yesterday.

1Q: Defiance 17-4
2Q: Pburg 18-15
3Q: Defiance 17-16
4Q: Defiance 19-5
5Q: Pburg 13-12
6Q: Pburg 21-8
7Q: Pburg 10-9

10:00 running clock for each Q

Defiance is pretty good and will contend in their conference with OG. They shot the ball well early. They looked like a team that has been practicing together for a few weeks.

Defiance plays at Rossford on 12/3 - should be a good early season barometer for both teams.

Yep.

Perrysburg opens in the Rebounders Classic on 11/25 and 11/26 in Newark, OH. They play Beavercreek and then the winner/loser of Newark and Licking Heights.

That's tough. Only 6-7 practices with everyone all together (I am assuming they have another scrimmage or two) and then you have to go play a game(s).

That's tough. Only 6-7 practices with everyone all together (I am assuming they have another scrimmage or two) and then you have to go play a game(s).
Yep. Midnight Madness this Friday night and then a scrimmage with Elyria on Saturday morning. Then four more practices and it’s game day.

Turn around and the first league game is the following Friday at Bowling Green 12/2, who I personally think might be the second best team in the NLL. One positive for Perrysburg in that BG game is that their best player, Brock Hastings, will not play as he has a Decca event out of town.

I hear the panthers have 10 seniors playing this year, can’t remember the last time that’s happened at Maumee. I’m interested to see how they do, might be able to surprise some people. I’d assume Arndt and Walker will lead the way based on last year.

I hear the panthers have 10 seniors playing this year, can’t remember the last time that’s happened at Maumee. I’m interested to see how they do, might be able to surprise some people. I’d assume Arndt and Walker will lead the way based on last year.

In my opinion, that’s too many. How are you going to develop any younger guys for next year? They’re going to have 1 or 2 guys back with varsity experience. Yikes.

They had 7 Juniors on the roster last year and only 4 Sophomores. Hard to imagine they added 3 Seniors that didn’t play last year but I guess it’s possible.

In my opinion you probably werent criticizing Northview last year.

Anything over 7 seniors is a lot and you're likely going to be hurting the next year unless you have some STUD underclassmen.

How many seniors did NV have last year on the roster?

Anything over 7 seniors is a lot and you're likely going to be hurting the next year unless you have some STUD underclassmen.

How many seniors did NV have last year on the roster?
Northview had 8 Seniors on the roster and only 4 Juniors. Only one of the juniors was even listed on the varsity roster and barely played, mostly, if not entirely in blowouts,. They mainly played seniors and one sophomore got some playing time.

They really only have one kid coming back this year with any real varsity experience. And he was a sophomore last year.

Northview had 8 Seniors on the roster and only 4 Juniors. Only one of the juniors was even listed on the varsity roster and barely played, mostly, if not entirely in blowouts,. They mainly played seniors and one sophomore got some playing time.

They really only have one kid coming back this year with any real varsity experience. And he was a sophomore last year.

How do you think Northview will do this year? They have a pretty weak non-conference schedule - but lack of experience has to be a cause of concern.

How do you think Northview will do this year? They have a pretty weak non-conference schedule - but lack of experience has to be a cause of concern.
That’s a really good question. They should be pretty good mostly because they have a good head coach and a good program and system. One thing they will definitely have is size. They have a lot of size but all of the kids with size are raw and have zero varsity experience. They were a pretty good JV team last year as they did beat Perrysburg and Perrysburg JV only lost two or three games. The Barnesky kid who was the one sophomore who got some playing time last year will be pretty good and they have another kid who played JV last year that was pretty good… Jackson Clausius I believe. They also have Alex Dupree, who will probably be the only senior that gets much playing time. A lot will depend on if they have anyone who can shoot from the outside.

From what I hear, Maumee did well against Rossford earlier in the week.

Watched some of the Rossford/Napoleon/Bowsher scrimmage on NFHS.

Rossford looks the same as last year. You can either try to guard Vorst one-on-one in the post or give up open looks for the others if you double him on the catch. Teams had success doubling him once he put it on the floor last year. Didn't see much of that in the parts of the scrimmage I watched, so I'm not sure how they'll handle it this year. Bowsher and Napoleon would double with the other post player and he did a good job of post-to-post passing for layups.

If they are shooting well, they can run up points in a hurry. They will continue to chuck it even when they're not shooting well, though - so there will be some dry spells.

Defensively, they played match-up zone and Napoleon was able to get quite a few open looks from three by moving the ball quickly. They aren't very deep, so I think they'll stay in that zone most of the time and teams that shoot well will give them trouble. They should be a good defensive rebounding team and move the ball well on offense. Not sure where the points will come from when Vorst is out of the game, as their ball movement relies a lot on him drawing attention in the post. Also not sure how they'll handle ball pressure.

Watched some of the Rossford/Napoleon/Bowsher scrimmage on NFHS.

Rossford looks the same as last year. You can either try to guard Vorst one-on-one in the post or give up open looks for the others if you double him on the catch. Teams had success doubling him once he put it on the floor last year. Didn't see much of that in the parts of the scrimmage I watched, so I'm not sure how they'll handle it this year. Bowsher and Napoleon would double with the other post player and he did a good job of post-to-post passing for layups.

If they are shooting well, they can run up points in a hurry. They will continue to chuck it even when they're not shooting well, though - so there will be some dry spells.

Defensively, they played match-up zone and Napoleon was able to get quite a few open looks from three by moving the ball quickly. They aren't very deep, so I think they'll stay in that zone most of the time and teams that shoot well will give them trouble. They should be a good defensive rebounding team and move the ball well on offense. Not sure where the points will come from when Vorst is out of the game, as their ball movement relies a lot on him drawing attention in the post. Also not sure how they'll handle ball pressure.
I watched the first four quarters of the Rossford/Maumee scrimmage. I though both teams looked like crap, but hey it's a scrimmage. Rossford beat them 22-13 the 1Q and then Maumee won the next 3 and actually was ahead 48-47 after the 4 Q's. Neither team shot it well from 3, except for Murphree who started off hot then Rossford couldn't make anything. They have 4 good/decent players in Vorst, Morrison, Revels and Murphree. After that they are pretty bad. They certainly aren't the Middle School team that was beating everyone by 50. They should have a good year, but not as good as they've been in the past few years.

I watched the first four quarters of the Rossford/Maumee scrimmage. I though both teams looked like crap, but hey it's a scrimmage. Rossford beat them 22-13 the 1Q and then Maumee won the next 3 and actually was ahead 48-47 after the 4 Q's. Neither team shot it well from 3, except for Murphree who started off hot then Rossford couldn't make anything. They have 4 good/decent players in Vorst, Morrison, Revels and Murphree. After that they are pretty bad. They certainly aren't the Middle School team that was beating everyone by 50. They should have a good year, but not as good as they've been in the past few years.

Yeah. One kid moved to Texas and became a D1 football recruit and four others decided not to play basketball any more at some point in HS. The complaining about Rossford "recruiting" was always much ado about nothing. None of the high-level kids that play AAU for Ohio Buckets open-enrolled at Rossford other than the coaches' sons.

Northview over Bowsher 74-64

Kalida over Rossford 67-59

Findlay over Springfield 54-51
Is Northview down or Bowsher good?

Is Rossford down (or Vorst not playing) or Kalida good?

Is Findlay down or Springfield good?

I’m beyond confused.