Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

My understanding is coach Harris lives near EC, his kids are already going to EC and Stritch was eliminating his Assistant AD position, while offering another position in the school that he chose not to take.

Heard the Boys Scott job is going to go to former girls coach from Central Catholic. Can’t remember her name. Will this be a first in the area a woman head coach, coaching a varsity team

Heard the Boys Scott job is going to go to former girls coach from Central Catholic. Can’t remember her name. Will this be a first in the area a woman head coach, coaching a varsity team
Ericka Haney getting a second chance at Scott will be interesting if it goes through.

I dunno if I agree with that. Having so many voucher kids is why most alumni don’t send their kids there. Also FYI their best remaining kids’ dad is going to be there coach so he doesn’t leave.
Cutting vouchers would be a death knell for Stritch. I do not believe there are a group of alums waiting for vouchers to go away so they can pay full tuition and send their kids to the school. I do not believe this group exists.

Toledo area is bleeding and it is especially true for younger generations and it will be difficult for smaller area private schools to remain open even with vouchers.

Last edited:
Wonder how many from the old staff he’ll keep and how that will influence the talented group of under class players.

I expect him to be able to do a great job on and off the floor with his players. Great personality and temperament for a high school mentor and coach. I have heard and seen nothing, but good things from him. Kids love playing for him.

Plus, he beat EC 50% of the times they played with less talent.

If Whitmer ends up with all these new transfers, the real question is who ended up with the best recruiting class in NWO, BGSU? Toledo? Or Whitmer?
Looks like Whitmer missed out on Bays and Leach, their A+ targets and are settling on Patterson from EC and PG Brown from EC. Miles tbd, but SJJ in the lead.

Looks like Whitmer missed out on Bays and Leach, their A+ targets and are settling on Patterson from EC and PG Brown from EC. Miles tbd, but SJJ in the lead.
CC also got one of those EC kids who was an 8th grader last year (Mack-Russell). They will have a good young core for that first year in a tough CHSL Cardinal.

Patterson is a huge get for Whitmer. Always felt like he tended to get overlooked by Easter, for better or worse. Will also help the Panthers in football as well.

Stritch shoulda made Sedron AD last year instead of Shumaker. Dude just made 3 straight lazy hires. Football coach- guy who was 1-10 at his last stop. Girls coach- old Grandpa who can’t relate to young girls, they went 1-21. And now boys basketball hire the scorekeeper to try and retain his son for one whole year. Close the doors- party’s over.

totally agree with Hooper419. we will see how many 1st time football players will last during hot august Fall practices when they actually have to hit somebody.
And BBK. wow
We are pleased to announce that Mr. John Yost has been named Head Varsity Boys Basketball Coach. Athletic Director Denny Shoemaker explained, “John has been a valued member of the Cardinal Stritch basketball program since his oldest son, Collin, entered the doors in 2014. Since then he has helped with the scoreboards, keeping the book, compiling stats, and assisting with summer workouts, camps, and shootouts. Our players are so accustomed to Coach Yost that transitionally it will feel like no time has passed. He knows our winning tradition and I’m excited to see him propel our program even more.”
“To say I am excited is an understatement,” Coach Yost said. “I know the kids, and I know the families. Basketball will be my platform to serve these young men and to turn them into the servant leaders our world and community needs. Every experience we are a part of we will have one goal: to make someone say ‘wow’. Repeating that mindset through thoughts and actions will create habits that will make these young men difference makers. We WILL continue to build something special. We WILL continue the winning tradition at Stritch. We WILL make Stritch a destination for future student-athletes.”
Coach Yost’s vast coaching experience includes coaching at the University of Michigan Summer Camp Hoops for Coach Steve Fisher (retired), Varsity Girls Basketball at Sandusky St. Mary Central Catholic High School, and various AAU teams over the past decade.
Coach Yost and his wife, Becky, have had three children attend Cardinal Stritch - Collin ‘18, Hope ‘20, and Owen ‘24. All three Yost children played varsity basketball and excelled academically as members of the National Honor Society. When asked about the opportunity to coach the Cardinals, Coach Yost said, “ Sports teach us so much about life and I can’t wait to work with our student-athletes. Strong faith, an insatiable work ethic, hunger for improvement, and fine young men are what I hope to deliver at the end of the season. That’s where the wins turn into real victories and legacies.” #strength #faith

Stritch shoulda made Sedron AD last year instead of Shumaker. Dude just made 3 straight lazy hires. Football coach- guy who was 1-10 at his last stop.
I can't speak to the other two hires but the football hire was not a poor choice. I don't think a lot of people were breaking down the door for that job but choosing an alumnus who was on staff at CS a few years ago before helping Waite's program improve and just came from a similar situation at Woodward. Thompson gained numbers and implemented a lot of positives at Woodward in his short time there. Woodward's non-league was brutal and then injuries with a small squad wearing down kept them from competing much in the second half.

I can't speak to the other two hires but the football hire was not a poor choice. I don't think a lot of people were breaking down the door for that job but choosing an alumnus who was on staff at CS a few years ago before helping Waite's program improve and just came from a similar situation at Woodward. Thompson gained numbers and implemented a lot of positives at Woodward in his short time there. Woodward's non-league was brutal and then injuries with a small squad wearing down kept them from competing much in the second half.
Not to mention Stritch has ZERO money to invest in coaching salaries. Most coaches do not do it for the money and are largely underpaid but I would bet Coach Thompson is losing money on the deal (not that he cares). I do not think any of Stritch's recent hires are poor choices considering the predicament the school is in (low enrollment, short on talent, little money to pay competitive salaries).

The only reason the football hire isn’t a poor choice is because nobody else wanted the job. He was barely on staff at CS and the head coach couldn’t trust him to run his own position group. Woodward might have been the worst team I’ve ever seen play last year. They would’ve went 0-10 again. But at least they found someone.

CC also got one of those EC kids who was an 8th grader last year (Mack-Russell). They will have a good young core for that first year in a tough CHSL Cardinal.
Mack-Russell has not played a minute of high school basketball and has already garnered a D1 offer from Liberty University.

Patterson is a huge get for Whitmer. Always felt like he tended to get overlooked by Easter, for better or worse. Will also help the Panthers in football as well.
It’s honestly a good thing Stacey can recruit the best talent in Toledo because let’s be honest, how good of a coach is he actually? His first year at Whitmer when they had average talent, what did they win, 3 or 4 games? And then the past two seasons he’s brought in his own talent and what’s the best they’ve done in the tournament? District finals and both times getting beat by teams with less talent than his!

IMO it says a lot about a high school coach that has to go out every year and poach local talent so he can maybe finally get out of districts!

It’s honestly a good thing Stacey can recruit the best talent in Toledo because let’s be honest, how good of a coach is he actually? His first year at Whitmer when they had average talent, what did they win, 3 or 4 games? And then the past two seasons he’s brought in his own talent and what’s the best they’ve done in the tournament? District finals and both times getting beat by teams with less talent than his!

IMO it says a lot about a high school coach that has to go out every year and poach local talent so he can maybe finally get out of districts!
Glad you said Stacey & Whitmer because I thought you were describing Central.

The recruiting game is something else, and Stacey is up there with the best of them, but imagine if Whitmer could somehow deny all of the crappy kids that no one wants and then offer public money as scholarships to the fast kids who can jump high? It is amazing Stacey can even compete against that TBH.

I suppose there are different levels of recruiting in the Toledo area - but I am not aware of any program (public or private) that does not recruit according to OHSAA rules.

I saw one of the larger local public schools put 2 7th grade teams on the floor that looked like they came to the game in horse and buggy, then in the 8th grade 80% of their roster got turned over and they looked like the Showtime Lakers.

The old model of school boundaries and coaching up the kids that walk through the door without a carrot dangled in front of them was gone 30 years ago.

Every aspect of life is like free agency - school, career, relationships/family etc. Sometimes for perfectly valid reasons, but often times very short sighted and ego driven.

I suppose there are different levels of recruiting in the Toledo area - but I am not aware of any program (public or private) that does not recruit according to OHSAA rules.

I saw one of the larger local public schools put 2 7th grade teams on the floor that looked like they came to the game in horse and buggy, then in the 8th grade 80% of their roster got turned over and they looked like the Showtime Lakers.

The old model of school boundaries and coaching up the kids that walk through the door without a carrot dangled in front of them was gone 30 years ago.

Every aspect of life is like free agency - school, career, relationships/family etc. Sometimes for perfectly valid reasons, but often times very short sighted and ego driven.
Been happening for some time. Be honest, there was a coach or two that checked you out in your butt huggers at those old Waite fieldhouse open gyms.

Val Glinka and LeRoy Bates would be proud.

I disagree, not every school is recruiting. Even some with “open enrollment” aren’t just letting anyone walk in the door and they aren’t actively trying to poach talent away from other school districts. Using vouchers or open enrollment to try and bring in the best athletes should be at least frowned upon and preferably penalized no matter how long it’s gone on and how many schools are doing it.

I think it's a bad move but we'll see. The girls & boys games are so different, I can't imagine running a program in either sport until at least being an assistant for a year. The guys game is more vertical & offensively driven, whereas due to height/leaping ability girls ball tends to be more physical and defense creates offense. The drills are also considerably different

Glad you said Stacey & Whitmer because I thought you were describing Central.

The recruiting game is something else, and Stacey is up there with the best of them, but imagine if Whitmer could somehow deny all of the crappy kids that no one wants and then offer public money as scholarships to the fast kids who can jump high? It is amazing Stacey can even compete against that TBH.
bEcaUsE I tHouGht yOu wEre dEscRiBinG CeNtRaL

iT iS aMaZiNg sTaCeY cAn EvEn cOmPetE aGaiNsT tHAt tBh

🤡🤡🤡

I think it's a bad move but we'll see. The girls & boys games are so different, I can't imagine running a program in either sport until at least being an assistant for a year. The guys game is more vertical & offensively driven, whereas due to height/leaping ability girls ball tends to be more physical and defense creates offense. The drills are also considerably different
Is any of that even the baby elephant in this room? I think there are bigger issues with this coach's history to consider. As for the coaching, this isn't elite level. Every coach has to learn new ways with new teams. Ignoring for the moment any social/cultural aspects, There is absolutely no issue from a coaching POV, that coach working the boy's side. If a guy can do it, and they do, so can the gals.