Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

Is Northview down or Bowsher good?

Is Rossford down (or Vorst not playing) or Kalida good?

Is Findlay down or Springfield good?

I’m beyond confused.
Good questions. Hard to say at this point.

I watched some of the Northview game on YouTube. They looked OK.

Also watched some of the Rossford game on NFHS Network. Rossford did not look very good. Kalida is a small school and they are usually decent in basketball. But they shouldn’t be beating Rossford. And yes Vorst did play. They just have four players and then no one else.

And honestly I think both Findlay and Springfield are down. Pretty sure both teams were picked to finish towards the bottom of the TRAC and NLL.

Maumee played at Waite tonight but I can’t find a score online anywhere. They were on BCSN but I wasn’t paying for that.

Last edited:
Good questions. Hard to say at this point.

I watched some of the Northview game on YouTube. They looked OK.

Also watched some of the Rossford game on NFHS Network. Rossford did not look very good. Kalida is a small school and they are usually decent in basketball. But they shouldn’t be beating Rossford. And yes Vorst did play. They just have four players and then no one else.

And honestly I think both Findlay and Springfield are down. Pretty sure both teams were picked to finish towards the bottom of the TRAC and NLL.

Maumee played at Waite tonight but I can’t find a score online anywhere. They were on BCSN but I wasn’t paying for that.
Findlay is missing a bunch of guys to injury. No Ryan Montgomery, Javonte Hill, and a few starters Jake Bishop and Luke Weihrauch have only practiced a few times due to injuries.

Findlay is missing a bunch of guys to injury. No Ryan Montgomery, Javonte Hill, and a few starters Jake Bishop and Luke Weihrauch have only practiced a few times due to injuries.
Are Hill and Montgomery expected to return?

Kalida was real good when Coach Vorst played there and at times are pretty exceptional. They haven't had many like Vorst and Kortokrax in a while, so I agree that they shouldn't be beating Rossford.

Kalida was real good when Coach Vorst played there and at times are pretty exceptional. They haven't had many like Vorst and Kortokrax in a while, so I agree that they shouldn't be beating Rossford.
And by the way me saying that Kalida shouldn’t be beating Rossford isn’t a knock on Kalida. It was more that this year they shouldn’t be beating this specific Rossford team with the talent they have. With Vorst, Morrison, Revels and Murphree they should be pretty good. Early on from what I’ve seen they seem to be in a funk to start the season. Plus they have absolutely no depth right now.

Just something I found interesting: Northview has 4 kids that are 6’7” and above, with the tallest being 6’10.5” as a sophomore. That is some insane height right there.

Just something I found interesting: Northview has 4 kids that are 6’7” and above, with the tallest being 6’10.5” as a sophomore. That is some insane height right there.
Two of them are brothers. They have some pretty good basketball genes.

And by the way me saying that Kalida shouldn’t be beating Rossford isn’t a knock on Kalida. It was more that this year they shouldn’t be beating this specific Rossford team with the talent they have. With Vorst, Morrison, Revels and Murphree they should be pretty good. Early on from what I’ve seen they seem to be in a funk to start the season. Plus they have absolutely no depth right now.

Depth is an issue without McIlroy playing. The open cuts to the basket that come from doubling Vorst get converted a lot more often by a 6'3" basketball player than a 6' football/baseball kid. I also think Revels broken hand from football has affected his ball-handling and passing ability. I think they'll get better as Revels gets healthier and back in basketball form, but probably slight favorite for the league title better, not "have a shot to win the district" better.

For all of the whining about recruiting, this team would look a lot different with a true PG in the backcourt and Revels/Morrison free to run the floor on the wings instead of out of position.

As for Kalida, they are well-coached and pretty much took apart the Rossford zone. Not sure we'll see much more of it the rest of the year.

Depth is an issue without McIlroy playing. The open cuts to the basket that come from doubling Vorst get converted a lot more often by a 6'3" basketball player than a 6' football/baseball kid. I also think Revels broken hand from football has affected his ball-handling and passing ability. I think they'll get better as Revels gets healthier and back in basketball form, but probably slight favorite for the league title better, not "have a shot to win the district" better.

For all of the whining about recruiting, this team would look a lot different with a true PG in the backcourt and Revels/Morrison free to run the floor on the wings instead of out of position.

As for Kalida, they are well-coached and pretty much took apart the Rossford zone. Not sure we'll see much more of it the rest of the year.

I think Genoa may give them some trouble. The Plantz freshmen seems legit. Has scored 11 and 19 points in his first two varsity games as a freshmen. Could be fun to see him and Vorst go at it. Genoa also has the Brunkhorst (QB from football) to bang inside too.

Elmwood could be interesting too depending on how well Lentz and Wickard play. I think the NBC is pretty top heavy though. Rossford/Genoa likely 1, 2. Eastwood, Elmwood, Fostoria 3, 4, 5 in whatever order. Then Otsego who is a little better this year and Woodmore too.

Lake may only win 3-4 games this year.

I think Genoa may give them some trouble. The Plantz freshmen seems legit. Has scored 11 and 19 points in his first two varsity games as a freshmen. Could be fun to see him and Vorst go at it. Genoa also has the Brunkhorst (QB from football) to bang inside too.

Elmwood could be interesting too depending on how well Lentz and Wickard play. I think the NBC is pretty top heavy though. Rossford/Genoa likely 1, 2. Eastwood, Elmwood, Fostoria 3, 4, 5 in whatever order. Then Otsego who is a little better this year and Woodmore too.

Lake may only win 3-4 games this year.
Rossford held Fostoria to 20 points last night. Also, Eastwood beat Lake pretty bad last night. I was expecting Eastwood to be a little down this year since they lost so much and I didn’t think this year’s senior class had much outside of Boos.

Fostoria just does not have a plan in the half court - passively passed it around the Rossford zone until someone got bored and jacked up a 3.

Rossford doesn’t shoot well enough to take as many threes as they do. Like anyone else, they can put a quick run together when they go in and have long droughts when they don’t. Obviously, having a 6’9” post player when you need a bucket is helpful, but they have to be patient enough to allow him to post and repost until he’s in a spot where he can score. We’ll see how they do on Saturday against a good team that has their attention.

I see 3 losses in the league, so if one of Eastwood/Elmwood/Genoa is good enough to sweep the other two they’ve got a shot - or if they all split with each other.

Fostoria just does not have a plan in the half court - passively passed it around the Rossford zone until someone got bored and jacked up a 3.

Rossford doesn’t shoot well enough to take as many threes as they do. Like anyone else, they can put a quick run together when they go in and have long droughts when they don’t. Obviously, having a 6’9” post player when you need a bucket is helpful, but they have to be patient enough to allow him to post and repost until he’s in a spot where he can score. We’ll see how they do on Saturday against a good team that has their attention.

I see 3 losses in the league, so if one of Eastwood/Elmwood/Genoa is good enough to sweep the other two they’ve got a shot - or if they all split with each other.

I don't see Eastwood or Elmwood having enough to beat Rossford. Not if they utilize Vorst against those opponents.

Some interesting games tonight that I will be keeping any eye out on:

Perrysburg at Bowling Green
Swanton at Evergreen
Southview at Northview (NV should win easily, but rivalry)
Calvert at Old Fort

I don't see Eastwood or Elmwood having enough to beat Rossford. Not if they utilize Vorst against those opponents.

Some interesting games tonight that I will be keeping any eye out on:

Perrysburg at Bowling Green
Swanton at Evergreen
Southview at Northview (NV should win easily, but rivalry)
Calvert at Old Fort

If Lentz goes off, I think Elmwood has a shot at home. You know Traxler will have the game circled on the schedule.

Rossford's dilemma is that Morrison is their best defender, best ball handler, best rebounder, and best secondary scorer. He can't do it all, so if he expends all of his energy guarding a guy like Lentz the offense suffers. If they put someone else on Lentz, Rossford will give up points and need to score more, etc. The match-up zone helps in that regard, but teams that move the ball quickly and with purpose get a lot of open shots and if they make enough of them it'll be a close game.

I can see the same problem against Eastwood. They don't have anyone who can stay in front of Boos. If Eastwood triple teams Vorst every time he catches the ball and forces the other guys to make shots they have a solid chance.

If Lentz goes off, I think Elmwood has a shot at home. You know Traxler will have the game circled on the schedule.

Rossford's dilemma is that Morrison is their best defender, best ball handler, best rebounder, and best secondary scorer. He can't do it all, so if he expends all of his energy guarding a guy like Lentz the offense suffers. If they put someone else on Lentz, Rossford will give up points and need to score more, etc. The match-up zone helps in that regard, but teams that move the ball quickly and with purpose get a lot of open shots and if they make enough of them it'll be a close game.

I can see the same problem against Eastwood. They don't have anyone who can stay in front of Boos. If Eastwood triple teams Vorst every time he catches the ball and forces the other guys to make shots they have a solid chance.

Rossford will play that matchup zone a lot this year I think. That'll help cover up some weakness. But you are right, if a team is a hot on a given night; it could be 10 three pointers against that zone.

Well league play starts tonight so I’ll take a swing at predicting the NLL, TRAC and NBC.

NLL
1 Perrysburg - Hunt twins, tall everywhere and good guards.
2 Bowling Green - Conway, Hastings and Brandt could be tough.
3 Anthony Wayne - Should be solid all around. Good length, can shoot.
4 Northview - Not as high on them as some, height is nice, talent is better. Should still be ok.
5 Maumee - 10 Seniors! Arndt and Walker are good players. Hoping they leave the NLL with a winning record but that might be a stretch.
6 Springfield - Might not be consistent but they’ll compete with most. Much improved
7 Napoleon - Tall and physical again I’m sure, not the skill of years past though.
8 Southview - I’ve heard nothing from cougar land and they lost a lot.

TRAC
1 Whitmer
2 SJJ
3 Central (if healthy probably 1)
4 Lima Sr
5 Findlay
6 SFS
7 Ross
8 Clay

NBC
1 Rossford
2 Eastwood
3 Elmwood
4 Genoa
5 Fostoria
6 Otsego
7 Woodmore
8 Lake

Was watching a little of the bg vs perrysburg game on Bcsn and was wondering if bg forgot to pay the lighting bill? That gym is extremely dark! Hopefully that wasn’t done on purpose cause it was a bad look.

Was watching a little of the bg vs perrysburg game on Bcsn and was wondering if bg forgot to pay the lighting bill? That gym is extremely dark! Hopefully that wasn’t done on purpose cause it was a bad look.

that’s their normal look