Toledo Area Basketball 21-22

BCSN has NDA-St. Ursula scheduled to broadcast but not this game it appears ?.
Probably one of the more interesting regular season matchups of the year and of course they don’t have it.

You can listen to it (with Bill Clark’s play by play) on 100.7 FM.
It's utterly ridiculous that this game isn't on BCSN or being streamed/PPV'd anywhere that I can find. Two of the best teams in NWO and it's not on anywhere? Come on man!

BCSN has NDA-St. Ursula scheduled to broadcast but not this game it appears ?.
Probably one of the more interesting regular season matchups of the year and of course they don’t have it.

You can listen to it (with Bill Clark’s play by play) on 100.7 FM.
Always liked Bill Clark calling a game "partner"...."BOOM!"

This week rankings
1. Lima Sr
2. Central Catholic
3. Perrysburg
4. Whitmer
5. Northview
6. Eastwood
7. Rossford
8. SJJ
9. Findlay
10. Emmanuel Christian
Teams making some noise
Ottawa Hills
Swanton
Southview
Some good games this week that could shake up things for next week.

Last edited:

Enjoy.

Eight kids playing in this game went DI. All 5 starters for SF went DI. Best player on the floor was Thames IMO. The entire area was loaded. DI kids everywhere. SJ was the team that got "out" and went to Regionals this year.

If you look REALLY close you can see eastisbest up in the corner eating popcorn and hitting on some moms. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for sharing this! The crowd and tempo of the game are just awesome to see here! IMO until the lack of shot clock has absolutely killed my interest in local HS basketball anymore. The game today is just so damn slow and halfcourt based, doesn’t allow for the amount of athletic plays that used to happen even in 2013

Enjoy.

Eight kids playing in this game went DI. All 5 starters for SF went DI. Best player on the floor was Thames IMO. The entire area was loaded. DI kids everywhere. SJ was the team that got "out" and went to Regionals this year.

If you look REALLY close you can see eastisbest up in the corner eating popcorn and hitting on some moms. :ROFLMAO:
On a side note it's something to see the likes of Jeff Heitz, Orris Tabner, and Michael Reghi in that clip. Those guys are pros. I knew Reghi when he worked in Lima and recently saw him working a bowl game and he looked rough. It appeared as though there were scars on the back of his head, does anyone know his health situation?

Thanks for sharing this! The crowd and tempo of the game are just awesome to see here! IMO until the lack of shot clock has absolutely killed my interest in local HS basketball anymore. The game today is just so damn slow and halfcourt based, doesn’t allow for the amount of athletic plays that used to happen even in 2013
I get what you are saying but I'm unsure a shot clock will solve anything. The AAU game has really hurt the modern game. If you can watch some clips watch the ball movement. I have an old copy of the 1989 Macomber at Lima Senior game. It is a pleasure to watch both teams work for good shots. Kids do not have any old school knacks anymore. Knowing where to stand, how to get open, how to really work off screens, etc. I remember Jon Floyd having this ugly knuckleball shot that would bring rain. He developed that by playing pick-up ball against his older brother's good friend and teamate Jake Holmes (6'11).

Fun fact: Craig Thames was All-City in two sports, basketball and tennis. He was not raised at a Country Club but the Birmingham Terrace had two things: basketball courts and a couple beat up tennis courts. No personal coach can beat playing something everyday.

BTW the old Lima Fieldhouse was PACKED to the gills.

On a side note it's something to see the likes of Jeff Heitz, Orris Tabner, and Michael Reghi in that clip. Those guys are pros. I knew Reghi when he worked in Lima and recently saw him working a bowl game and he looked rough. It appeared as though there were scars on the back of his head, does anyone know his health situation?
Same thing I thought when I saw the clip. Oris Tabner was a family friend. Played at Libbey and UT. Reghi was awesome. He jumped big and then had health issues and then came back to Sportstime Ohio. Unsure his current situation?

I get what you are saying but I'm unsure a shot clock will solve anything. The AAU game has really hurt the modern game. If you can watch some clips watch the ball movement. I have an old copy of the 1989 Macomber at Lima Senior game. It is a pleasure to watch both teams work for good shots. Kids do not have any old school knacks anymore. Knowing where to stand, how to get open, how to really work off screens, etc. I remember Jon Floyd having this ugly knuckleball shot that would bring rain. He developed that by playing pick-up ball against his older brother's good friend and teamate Jake Holmes (6'11).

Fun fact: Craig Thames was All-City in two sports, basketball and tennis. He was not raised at a Country Club but the Birmingham Terrace had two things: basketball courts and a couple beat up tennis courts. No personal coach can beat playing something everyday.

I like that you refer to it as the "old Lima Fieldhouse", actually it was just the gym at the old high school. Yes that game was packed. Jim Jackson scored his 2,000 point against LSH. WOSN TV 44 out of Lima actually replays that game more than often. First time I saw Jim Jackson play, I was a senior and he was a sophomore. We actually beat Macomber that night, I think he had 30 and Carlton Thomas from LSH had 31 or 32. The good old days...

Went to the Emmanuel vs Whiteford game. Whiteford was up seven at the end of the 3rd. Emmanuel won in ot 72-70. On the Emmanuel side, it was stand around and watch the Jerry show. Terrible coaching! They run no offense just stand around and watch one guy make plays. Reminded me of watching the NBA. You could tell Emmanuel thought they were going to walk in and crush this team. If this team is top 10 in Toledo, then it’s got to be bad basketball basketball here.
What happen to SJJ? Did they not go to shootout in Ky?
Also is the Northview/Whitmer not being played Thursday? It’s no longer showing them playing, wonder if it’s a Covid thing?

Went to the Emmanuel vs Whiteford game. Whiteford was up seven at the end of the 3rd. Emmanuel won in ot 72-70. On the Emmanuel side, it was stand around and watch the Jerry show. Terrible coaching! They run no offense just stand around and watch one guy make plays. Reminded me of watching the NBA. You could tell Emmanuel thought they were going to walk in and crush this team. If this team is top 10 in Toledo, then it’s got to be bad basketball basketball here.
Also is the Northview/Whitmer not being played Thursday? It’s no longer showing them playing, wonder if it’s a Covid thing?
Yeah it doesn’t look like they went. The team they were supposed to play it looks like ended up playing someone else. There is nothing on St John’s Twitter pages that says anything however.

When I saw the EC team picture and Jerry's dad is on staff, told me everything I needed to know....

Northview at Whitmer is canceled for health reasons. Northview picked up a game against Lima Bath for tomorrow as a replacement.

No word from SJJ, but the games in Kentucky are no longer showing up on their schedule. The shootout in Kentucky put out a revised schedule yesterday with no SJJ.

I'd agree with that. But at the same time many AAU coaches are also HS coaches.

I think the biggest thing affecting the modern game is an emphasis on offensive plays pulling away from the fundamentals being taught. As a result you can't get the ball movement because a motion type offense requires all 5 guys to be able to make plays. Instead of developing your players, you can just rely on your star or stars and set screens to allow them to create. Not ideal basketball IMO.

I'll never forget my Dad in 7th grade being absolutely pissed when he saw our play sheet. I think we had something like 8-9 plays. ? He didn't say anything to the coaches or anything like that, but just went off at home about how most of us couldn't hit free throws or lacked good dribbling skills, yet our coaches had to teach us 9 plays as though the other team was spending hours in the film room a week

I observed two extremes that both are counter productive to a young player's development.

- Pressing at a young age before the offensive team is strong enough or capable of making the other team pay by beating the press. Any pressure works even if you are not teaching to read and react....the ball just falls in your lap and the game becomes a layup line for who ever is at the top of the press and the rest of the team just watches. No ball movement, spacing or cutting to an opening is taught because the game is just up and down chaos with one or two guys dominating the ball handling and shooting.

-Opposite of that are the coaches who spend an entire season telling kids who are 8-10 years old what they can't do because they have already pigeon holed them into a position. They then spend 90% of their practice running plays and being a puppet master instead of developing skills and basketball IQ.

Coaches are too worried about showing how smart they are and what they can do, instead of letting the kids learn from mistakes/errors and show what they can do.

Repeat above in junior high and repeat again in high school.

In the past you learned to play in the driveway, park, YMCA or Family Center. There was no such thing as a bad shot or bad turnover. You learned from your mistakes and got better from playing kids and adults who were older than you.

Caught some of the SJ-Eds game in BCSN. Maybe 200 people in attendance. SJ has ZERO identity and alumni following. They also have a couple players that would not have made their JV team 10 years ago.

I observed two extremes that both are counter productive to a young player's development.

- Pressing at a young age before the offensive team is strong enough or capable of making the other team pay by beating the press. Any pressure works even if you are not teaching to read and react....the ball just falls in your lap and the game becomes a layup line for who ever is at the top of the press and the rest of the team just watches. No ball movement, spacing or cutting to an opening is taught because the game is just up and down chaos with one or two guys dominating the ball handling and shooting.

-Opposite of that are the coaches who spend an entire season telling kids who are 8-10 years old what they can't do because they have already pigeon holed them into a position. They then spend 90% of their practice running plays and being a puppet master instead of developing skills and basketball IQ.

Coaches are too worried about showing how smart they are and what they can do, instead of letting the kids learn from mistakes/errors and show what they can do.

Repeat above in junior high and repeat again in high school.

In the past you learned to play in the driveway, park, YMCA or Family Center. There was no such thing as a bad shot or bad turnover. You learned from your mistakes and got better from playing kids and adults who were older than you.
Bingo.

OREGON CLAY HOLIDAY TOURNEY: Bowsher/Findlay Freshmen and JV will play Wednesday, NO Varsity game. Sandusky/Findlay will play Thursday. No word on Clay/Sandusky Wednesday game.

@FHSAthletic
Due 2 issues beyond Findlay’s control the Oregon Holiday BBK Invite has a slight change. For Wed, 12/29 the Fr. (11am) & JV (1:00) teams will still play at same times vs Bowsher. NO varsity contest. For Thurs. Fr. play at 11:00, JV TBD, varsity will play Sandusky 3:00pm at Clay.

Last edited:
The playoff thing was definitely an issue. 1 scrimmage with everyone there. The difference from game 1 to last weekend was huge. If it keeps up, they're gonna be a tough out for anyone. I'm seeing OG by 15+
OG 66 Eastwood 49.......Titans have BG at home tonight

OREGON CLAY HOLIDAY TOURNEY: Bowsher/Findlay Freshmen and JV will play Wednesday, NO Varsity game. Sandusky/Findlay will play Thursday. No word on Clay/Sandusky Wednesday game.

@FHSAthletic
Due 2 issues beyond Findlay’s control the Oregon Holiday BBK Invite has a slight change. For Wed, 12/29 the Fr. (11am) & JV (1:00) teams will still play at same times vs Bowsher. NO varsity contest. For Thurs. Fr. play at 11:00, JV TBD, varsity will play Sandusky 3:00pm at Clay.
UPDATE: Clay will be playing Sandusky tonight and Southview Thursday night. Bowsher varsity has cancelled both nights.

Last edited:
OG 65.....BG 44
So after crushing Eastwood and BG are the Titans starting to get their basketball legs? I saw them against Archbold ( the Streaks had a few starters out FYI - so a bit unfair to judge) but you could see the Titans were still in "football" mode? Scary what this team might be if they stay healthy! I am anxious to see how they do against Findlay, Harvest Prep & Lima Sr. - but look out if they put it together - I don't see anyone in NW Ohio knocking them off.

So after crushing Eastwood and BG are the Titans starting to get their basketball legs? I saw them against Archbold ( the Streaks had a few starters out FYI - so a bit unfair to judge) but you could see the Titans were still in "football" mode? Scary what this team might be if they stay healthy! I am anxious to see how they do against Findlay, Harvest Prep & Lima Sr. - but look out if they put it together - I don't see anyone in NW Ohio knocking them off.

Agree, but a few years ago people were saying the same and Coldwater beat OG and Archbold. With that said I don't see any depth in the Lima or Central districts. Looks like OG will roll through pretty easy until at least the regional final.......or is there another Coldwater in the Lima Sr. district that I am missing?

Be careful counting out a healthy Archbold team. 3 best players back from last year's team that took OG to the wire in the regionals.