Toledo Area Basketball 20-21

lol
you made up of alot of "you saids" that I didn't say but if that's what gets you through life, go with it. You're obviously offended that I have an opinion that D2 2% isn't the same as D1 2%, maybe you got someone in that D2 2% throwing shade in your eyes so just pretend I said something else. Seems to work for you. ;)

One point in there I can definitely agree with. You are confused. :D

Please correct the "you saids" I didn't mean to attribute anything to you that is not typed out.

Buckeyes open regular season Nov. 12 in Preseason NIT

Findlay win vs University of Toledo 2017

This is what top level D2 teams look like. If you want the eye test. These teams are filled with more than people who just work a little harder than the average person.

Last edited:
Thought I'd drop in on this conversation again since I noticed today that Bellarmine has a one game lead on Liberty for 1st place in the ASUN heading into the home stretch of league play in their first year competing in D1. Last year they went 20-8 in D2 and finished 5th in their conference.

By the old RPI formula the ASUN is usually ranked the 26th or 27th best D1 league out of 32. The MAC bounces around 16th to 18th.

Over the last decade, if Findlay competed in the MAC they would have finished above at least the bottom 1/3rd of the league almost every year. Most years probably more like the bottom 1/2.

These discussions happen all the time in the mid-major vs. P5 discussion. They come down to the grind of the higher competition every game, the comparable economics for training and body repair, the depth of bench to handle that higher program.

The bottom of D1 is populated by what were D2 schools not really that long ago. No one proposed there is a massive wall of ability between the bottom of D1 and top of D2 though smalls seems to want to snowman the discussion to that from the original depth of talent in the 2% into the programs. But is that a linear progression or an exponential decay? It's the later. To say otherwise is to say those big business D1s do not know how to evaluate and recruit talent or those low budget D2's just let anyone in the doors with b-ball talent. Somewhere in between?

D2, it's a good education. Though smalls will argue otherwise, they are generally much better than the D3 teams because you know, 2>3. ;)

but there are only a small percentage that will compete regularly with even the bottom of D1. They for the most part are doing what they can to fill rosters with capable students. The bar is not that high. But for the most part, they are filled with average human beings that worked a little harder at a sport. There's no genetic superiority needed. They're not turning people away like the D1s. They are not pumping players into the overseas leagues. They're pumping players into the local rec leagues.

Have you ever been to a D2 basketball game to base your argument on? Your statements above tell me no. I do not see any sentence that I agree with and have already proven as misinformed at best. You attempt to slightly change your statements to move the bar each time I prove you wrong.

Thank you NWWarrier for yet another data point to support what I have been saying based on results not an opinion.

Bellarmine 20-8 5th in their conference last year as a D2 with a 10 point losses to Notre Dame and Louisville along with 6 losses in conference to D2 teams.

No influx of JUCO or D1 transfers from last year to this year.

13-5 this year 10-2 in conference with many of their wins by over 10 points vs their new D1 conference teams.

Margin of victory;
Howard 21
Florida Gulf Coast 14
Florida Gulf Coast 17
Stetson University 11
Kennesaw State 17
Jacksonville University 15
Jacksonville University 19
University of North Alabama 24

Florida Gulf Coast became a full D1 member in 2011 and made it to the sweet 16 only 2 years later beating #2 seed Georgetown along the way.

To one of your comments in another post. There are some D3's who absolutely would compete with D2's, but the lack of athletic $$$ makes it fewer and farther between. The D3's in the conference my son plays in would not compete with D2's well at all.

2019-2020 Bellarmine Roster
1614000015948.png

2020-2021 Bellarmine
1614000109878.png

Last edited:
Smalls, I appreciate your effort and you make a good case, but you're not gonna convince EIB. Might as well quit while you're ahead-ish.

I tend to think that as you go down the totem pole the "basket" of potential recruits expands significantly. Outside of the best size/length athletes that the mid-majors are getting, there's probably pretty little to no difference between most of the recruits going mid-major, low-major or to the D2s that take it very seriously like Findlay, Ferris State, West Liberty and formerly Bellarmine.

I would add that I think Bellarmine is extremely well coached. That coach has probably been there for 15 years or so and previously was an assistant for both Crum and Pitino at Louisville for a decade. From their stats, from the Cincinnati area they have kids from Moeller, Lasalle and Lakota East that were extremely skilled high school players that would have lacked ideal size or athleticism for their position at a mid-major. Comparatively, skill wise all three of those kids were light years ahead of the Moss kid that's at Toledo but he had the natural burst and hops that can't be gained entirely through training. Mid-majors would rather take kids like that with the measurables and try to "coach them up" as opposed to taking someone like the Mangas kid from Lima Shawnee who's already very polished with high basketball I.Q. minus ideal measurables.

Last edited:
Smalls, I appreciate your effort and you make a good case, but you're not gonna convince EIB. Might as well quit while you're ahead-ish.

Just trying to keep the thread at the top of the forum since there has not been much other Toledo area talk. I think I can wear him down;)

I mentioned this before but in watching the NV/AW game pre shut down I would say that a couple starters and the first couple kids off the bench from both squads pick up a basketball in November and drop it in March. We have talked about this before but outside of a handful of kids the basketball IQ is not very high in the Toledo area at the moment. Kids show their butts all the time simply on court awareness. Not knowing where to be, how to set screens and move off of screens, playing away from the ball, etc...
It is as bad as I've ever seen it.

IB and I talked on another post about Craig from N'View being the best of the local talent and we agree he's a D2 college kid. Name the next best underclassman after him, I'd vote Johnson at CCHS or Hornbeak at SJJ. Not sure of Johnson ever played football as a youngster and I know Hornbeak did, but he's given up football to focus on hoops. Hornbeaks ceiling is? Maybe another D2 kid? He's got IQ, gets to the rim, but his jumper outside the lane is shaky at best. Now, put some football pads on his frame and he could play about 4 different positions.

Another Jay Springs. I get it bball is their love but football could be so many basketball players moneymaker.

Look at the Craig kid. 6'5"/6'6" 210lbs ish? He is a big time recruit TE right now. High end D2/low end D1 bball guy. Big time football prospect without even playing yet.

Look at the Craig kid. 6'5"/6'6" 210lbs ish? He is a big time recruit TE right now. High end D2/low end D1 bball guy. Big time football prospect without even playing yet.
6'6" 195, per NLL website. You are on the money when it comes to the High end D2/low D1 estimate. IMO he is a really good talent not only on the boards/post, but I've noticed his outside shooting has gotten considerably better this year. I wouldn't completely count out an offer from a lower-tiered P5 that you'd only know from getting blown out in the first round of the tournament or making a Cinderella run.

When it comes to underclassmen, Chico Johnson and CJ Hornbeak are probably the only ones who would garner an offer from a solid D1. Central's 6'8 sophomore Jones could also gain some interest because of his height and size, but that's pretty much it.

Speaking of Central, they must have been relying heavily on Michael Greenlee because since he's had to sit they haven't won a game, including losses to Clay (!) and Whitmer (!!!). I'm chalking it up to them being very much a young team with much more experience they'd need to gain. I think they have a very solid base (I believe their JV and Freshman teams are doing well this year, but don't quote me on that) and that they will be a lot better in the coming years.

Another Jay Springs. I get it bball is their love but football could be so many basketball players moneymaker.

Never a bad day when there's a Jay Springs mention. Remember Crusher bragging Springs up, the next Cunningham/Vick. Think he played freshman football and stuck with hoops and maybe could of played at Owens.

Never a bad day when there's a Jay Springs mention. Remember Crusher bragging Springs up, the next Cunningham/Vick. Think he played freshman football and stuck with hoops and maybe could of played at Owens.

Watched him dunk 4 times in an 8th grade game. Don't see that too often especially since he was 5'10"-5'11" at the time.

he doesnt know what he's trying to convince me of or that I even need convincing. He's arguing something I'm not. That's why I keep loling him. ;)

Watched him dunk 4 times in an 8th grade game. Don't see that too often especially since he was 5'10"-5'11" at the time.

I never dunked until I was 24. I'm 5'9" Was I an elite athlete? Or a normal guy who put his mind to something? Does a player have to be as good to get into D3 as to get into D2 and therefore they are as good as D1?

D2 has good athletes. No one said otherwise. No one said none were elite, I even ackowledged there are exceptions. They work hard, they train hard and they can know the game as well as any D1, if they have the time to put to it. No one has said otherwise. Mangas barely has D1 interest and he's one of the best in state. From what I can see in videos of his game, inexpert that I am, D1, Toledo, BG are making a huge mistake but goes to show how really difficult D1 is to get into. The separation between the two is (put on your best trump) huge.

There simply is not the depth of game in high school to say that 4% are elite. The only claim I made was that most perceive 2%, even the second 2% as representing "elite" and that they are not. They are (for the most part, since you need peopel to continually acknowledge they are not talking absolutes, well except for you) regular human beings who put their minds to something. Only smalls could find insult in that.

Now smalls, you've made racist and anti-military remarks all in desperation to support a personal agenda. Give it up. D2 recruited athletes and teams are generally not as good as D1. That simpl is not a controversial statement. Also wasn't the point of the original post that set you off on your little snit.

Last edited:
Now smalls, you've made racist and anti-military remarks all in desperation to support a personal agenda. Give it up. D2 recruited athletes and teams are generally not as good as D1. That simpl is not a controversial statement. Also wasn't the point of the original post that set you off on your little snit.

Huh? You are bordering on crazy now in an attempt to hide your lack of any coherent argument other than emojis and because "I said".

Don't attribute that trash with me whack job.

Like the best carpenters in a town. The reason many are from here is training available here versus what a better talent might have from poduck Africa or Asia or ....

You said they were Asian or African carpenters or something like that - I was confused ;)

I have no doubt a military league drawing from 1,000's of guys with ages from 18-30+ from all over the country would have some studs mixed in. Even with less athleticism and jumping ability 25 year old me was going to beat 18 year old me every day of the week. Because I had 7 more years in the weight room....all down hill after 30 though.

You really should take your BS comments back because here is the response to your quote and you are again making $hip up that is not there. Snap back to the real world buddy.

Even if you are doing that to make one of your silly points not a topic to attribute to someone.

You still enjoy taking private pics of little boys? See how that works?

Last edited:
You really should take your BS comments back because here is the response to your quote and you are again making $hip up that is not there. Snap back to the real world buddy.

Thank you for quoting your trash for eveyone to see in one setting. No place here for your racist. anti-skilled trades, anti-military rhetoric. There is nothing wrong with being a hard working journeyman, be it military, skilled trades, basketball be it in American, Asian, African..... You act like someone stating a D2 player is hard working, not "elite" is an insult to your snobbish attitude. Most consider being a "journeyman" a compliment.

and get little boys off your mind. WTHell is wrong with you? Sicko.

Last edited:
Typical responses from someone with a weak argument. Name call, kick scream, repeat, get louder the next time, rinse repeat.

Typical responses from someone with a weak argument. Name call, kick scream, repeat, get louder the next time, rinse repeat.

Post 199. ;)

You have seem to have forgotten, this all started with YOUR snit. Your off-topic and rambling response to

Eastisbest: A lot hidden in those numbers. "Level of talent" is kind of generic statement to discusss but I'll go with, top 2% makes it sound elite. Its not.

I'll grant that the number of competitive D2 programs is growing, but

YOU wanted to continue to counter my arguments on the programs in general by using the top of the division. YOU made the conversation about something else. You're the one that diminished what it means to be in skilled-trades, a journeyman, military.. You're the one with little boys on your mind, of all the analogies you could have come up with the make your point. It's your words and thoughts causing you issues. Not my discussion on what that 2% (correctly the second 2% headed to D2) represents as to ability and potential.

Don't quote someone then say they said something else. Discussion was fine until that point. If you want to back up, we can back up.

My original point was simple, being in the second 2% of the top of high school basketball recruits doesn't mean you are "elite." Most bodies and raw skills could be worked to it should they desire. D1 talent is better than D2 talent.

Most people would find absolutely nothing controversial, let alone insulting in those statements. If they had argument with them, they would counter using apples from the whole tree, not apples from the best branch.

Last edited:
You're the one that diminished what it means to be in skilled-trades, a journeyman, military.

Where? What quote? and don't forget the one were you called me racist.

The only person I diminishing is the local village idiot/coward who is attributing something to me that is not true. Feel free top come look me up sometime little man not far away.

Where? What quote? and don't forget the one were you called me racist.

The only person I diminishing is the local village idiot/coward who is attributing something to me that is not true. Feel free top come look me up sometime little man not far away.
At least you've taken your attention off little boys and are now focused on little men. Once you graduate to old little men, then I really have to wear iron shorts. Your English skills are slipping there a bit. Slobbered on the keyboard a bit, did you? Let me guess. you're trying to impress someone in the real by being the "big guy" here and someone dared disagree and you're embarrassed. How close am I?

lol, make it happen, "big guy." Not far away.

Last edited:
6'6" 195, per NLL website. You are on the money when it comes to the High end D2/low D1 estimate. IMO he is a really good talent not only on the boards/post, but I've noticed his outside shooting has gotten considerably better this year. I wouldn't completely count out an offer from a lower-tiered P5 that you'd only know from getting blown out in the first round of the tournament or making a Cinderella run.

When it comes to underclassmen, Chico Johnson and CJ Hornbeak are probably the only ones who would garner an offer from a solid D1. Central's 6'8 sophomore Jones could also gain some interest because of his height and size, but that's pretty much it.

Speaking of Central, they must have been relying heavily on Michael Greenlee because since he's had to sit they haven't won a game, including losses to Clay (!) and Whitmer (!!!). I'm chalking it up to them being very much a young team with much more experience they'd need to gain. I think they have a very solid base (I believe their JV and Freshman teams are doing well this year, but don't quote me on that) and that they will be a lot better in the coming years.
Why is Greenlee not playing?

didn't he transfer from private to private? Hard to keep track of all the transfer rules, at least for me. is that it?
he has to sit out because of transfer rules. at this point all the loopholes and exceptions are foreign to me so that’s what it looks like.

he has to sit out because of transfer rules. at this point all the loopholes and exceptions are foreign to me so that’s what it looks like.

It is here somewhere, ... probably, lol
vvv
Bylaw 4-7-2 Inter-District Transfer Guidance

Other Transfer Guidance

Intra-District/System Transfers
Quick Reference Eligibility Forms

There simply is not the depth of game in high school to say that 4% are elite. The only claim I made was that most perceive 2%, even the second 2% as representing "elite" and that they are not. They are (for the most part, since you need peopel to continually acknowledge they are not talking absolutes, well except for you) regular human beings who put their minds to something. Only smalls could find insult in that.

Me disagreeing with you is not finding insult. However, you found insult where no insult was intended (at least initially) and no reasonable person would find. Name calling and bringing un-warranted BS into the conversation is where I found a clear intent at insult from you. I apologize for calling you little man I know how hurtful that can be.

You took the conversation away from where I started it while changing/inferring something that was not there. To use your logic since I made a statement before you made a statement you are not allowed to counter my original statement since......well I said so. Seems like a pretty useless way to debate a topic. For that matter I apologize to NLLBEST for not agreeing with the statement he made before me. Would hate for someone to have a differing opinion, experience or point of view.

I never even claimed 2% were elite. I only claimed that the bar to D2 was higher than being the 3rd, 4th or 5th best player on the floor most nights in the NLL, where very few players end up playing basketball on scholarship at the D1 or D2 level each year. (In a good year the NLL will have 2-3 D1/D2 scholarship basketball players). You then bent or slanted it to mean something different along with making some statements that were not even close to accurate about D2 basketball programs and athletes due to what I can only assume is a lack of an opportunity to watch D2 ball and compare it to the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of D1.

My original point was simple, being in the second 2% of the top of high school basketball recruits doesn't mean you are "elite."

Well that 2nd 2% does falls outside of D2. I knew I could wear you down.

1614086503267.png

High school seniors from the US are competing against international players, prost grad/prep school players, JUCO players and existing transfers for scholarships.

353 D1 Schools x 13 Full Rides = 4,589
313 D2 Schools x 10 Full Rides = 3,130

3,926 + 3,130 = 7,719 Full Rides (D1 and D2) - that sounds like a lot, but there are 4 classes + redshirts included in those numbers.

1. Subtract scholarships for D2 schools who do not fully fund all 10 scholarships

2. Subtract 663 for international players at the D1 level who competed with high school seniors for scholarships

3. Subtract for international players at the D2 level who competed against high school seniors

4. Subtract for JUCO transfers. There are 452 JUCO basketball teams all with guys competing with the high school seniors. According to the numbers below that means ~800 JUCO transfers or a little over 2 per D1 school.....plus hundreds who are borderline D1/D2 who competed against high school seniors for scholarships

According to an NCAA study, 14.8 percent of all JUCO basketball players transferred from junior colleges with basketball programs to a four-year NCAA Division 1 college program in 2018—compared to 1 percent of high-school basketball players who went on to play D1 basketball immediately following their senior year.

5. Data on other professional opportunities in men’s basketball were collected in 2019 by NCAA staff with the assistance of Marek Wojtera from eurobasket.com. Tracking 2018-19 international opportunities for the 2018 draft cohort, it was determined that an additional 839 former NCAA student-athletes played internationally, in the G-League or in the NBA as undrafted players (606 from Division I, 194 from Division II and 39 from Division III).

194 is a big number and it can be inferred that that all 4+ classes at the D2 level have +/- 194 x 4 = 776+ future professional basketball players or about 2 per D2 school.

I'll grant that the number of competitive D2 programs is growing, but there are only a small percentage that will compete regularly with even the bottom of D1. They for the most part are doing what they can to fill rosters with capable students. The bar is not that high. But for the most part, they are filled with average human beings that worked a little harder at a sport. There's no genetic superiority needed. They're not turning people away like the D1s. They are not pumping players into the overseas leagues. They're pumping players into the local rec leagues.

Any desire to re-address any of these comments or do you still consider them as accurate? I will not nit pick on what the bar not high or genetic superiority is defined as.

My experience - I have 1 D1, 2 D2 and 1 D3 athlete/former athletes under my roof, along with my brother having been a D2 athlete and a 1st cousin having been a D1 athlete. I was offered partial baseball scholarships from both BG and UT. I accepted scholarships for both baseball and basketball at the D2 level. Was a Physics major before realizing I had too much on my plate so I dropped the major and basketball. I led the league in ERA one year and was offered a professional contract in an independent league with a team out of Johnstown, PA for $1,800/month. I passed.

I have personally watched 100's of D2 sporting events, competed with and against 100's of D1 and D2 athletes - mainly at the mid major level and below. Played fed ball on a team with 5 former UT basketball players from the time I was 21 to 25. Only one was clearly any "different" than me from a measurables standpoint. I found little to no difference in quickness, jumping ability, strength or skill and I didn't even play basketball in college.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

someone PLEASE give him a thumbs up before he wears out his thesaurus.

Back OT:

Anyone understand the ruling on Greenlee?

Millbury:
12 BG-14 Clay Feeds 4 Northview Clay, Northview.
6 Ashland 8 Start Start
9 PBurg 15 Bowwow PBURG
1 Senior 18 Madison Senior

Toledo
10 SFS 15 Whitmer Feeds 5 Southview SFS Southview
3 Findlay (my overall) 17 Springfield Findlay
3 SJJ 16 Waite Waite
7 AW 11 Ross AW

All purely guesses.

Last edited: