Thoughts on what to do if summer tournaments cancel

icemike

I wonder if a format where 3 or 4 teams played a round robin weekend schedule could work. No hotels, small crowds, limited travel to control costs and no need for extensive planning. You could invite college coaches if you desire. No marathon weekends, thus fresh players and hopefully a high level of play. Just a thought... Could start in July and play through August.

I wonder if a format where 3 or 4 teams played a round robin weekend schedule could work. No hotels, small crowds, limited travel to control costs and no need for extensive planning. You could invite college coaches if you desire. No marathon weekends, thus fresh players and hopefully a high level of play. Just a thought... Could start in July and play through August.

Summer Tournaments will only Cancel if not enough Teams (to many drop out) or if the Park/Location is not Open for business. Last but not least, if the Social Distancing and No more than 10 people in one place Orders are still in place it’s nearly impossible to have a Tournament of any kind!

I think this is a very real possibility for the Summer. Some teams might shutdown for the Summer. Some tournaments might cancel. But if things start opening up again, there are going to be teams that want to play. A 4 team round robin can be alot of fun. We played in an 8 team get together once where everyone played three games. First round were best guesses about who matched up. Second round was winners against winners and losers against losers. Last games were matchups of winners from the previous round and matchups of losers from the previous round. And you couldn't play the same team twice. It worked out really well.

Round robins with some mitigation in terms of social distancing would be a good compromise for baseball and softball into late july. For the older players, missing a complete season would be a disaster.

yes. for baseball too. It eliminates the showcases for the upper level teams and players but they can make it up in the fall and winter.