This 830-million-year-old crystal might contain life. And we're about to open it

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
From lemons to ham, salt is a handy food preservative. But researchers studying some really old salt crystals found them preserving something else — evidence of life.

"There are little cubes of the original liquid from which that salt grew. And the surprise for us is that we also saw shapes that are consistent with what we would expect from microorganisms," said Kathy Benison, a geologist at West Virginia University. "And they could be still surviving within that 830-million-year-old preserved microhabitat."

The salt crystals (aka halite) that Benison and her team studied were originally found in central Australia. Benison was part of the team that published these findings in the journal Geology.

Isn't it amazing that they will say that this might be "life" but the growing baby in a woman's womb is just a bunch of cells and tissue.

Isn't it amazing that they will say that this might be "life" but the growing baby in a woman's womb is just a bunch of cells and tissue.
are "they" the same people? Is there any connection at all between the two topics except for your desperate need to drip saliva down your chin?

You don't make much of a point if you leave intelligence on the pillow.

are "they" the same people? Is there any connection at all between the two topics except for your desperate need to drip saliva down your chin?

You don't make much of a point if you leave intelligence on the pillow.
Life is the "connection" --- It's good to see that I struck a nerve. It's amazing -- I provide an opinion and you start talking about saliva and pillows. it goes like this -- point - counter-point -- point -- counter-point and so on

Last edited:
My thought on reading the snippet was that the cells had evolved on their own overtime in this controlled environment, but from hearing the full article the hypothesis seems to be they've been hibernating this whole 830 million years?
Hmm, seems like my first thought seems more realistic (but I'm not a biologist... wonder how many genders these single cells organisms identify as)

Life is the "connection" --- It's good to see that I struck a nerve. It's amazing -- I provide an opinion and you start talking about saliva and pillows. it goes like this -- point - counter-point -- point -- counter-point and so on

You said "they" is the connection. You know I presume that saying you "struck a nerve" isn't the same as actually striking a nerve? Wait, I probably presume too much about your thought process.

But since you see the connection I guess you are saying life is not just 6000 years old and that there is life out there, we're not alone. I feel ya. God has been around.

My thought on reading the snippet was that the cells had evolved on their own overtime in this controlled environment, but from hearing the full article the hypothesis seems to be they've been hibernating this whole 830 million years?
Hmm, seems like my first thought seems more realistic (but I'm not a biologist... wonder how many genders these single cells organisms identify as)

What would they have fed on to evolve inside the crystal? I'm leaning towards the latter interpretation. They be sleeping.

Which "they?" My "they" or your "they?"

My "they" was a proper pronoun with clear antecedent "cells." (if any of those grammar words are even remotely close to correct, I got lucky)

Your "they."
Where are you getting that those saying "this might be life" are the same ones saying "the growing baby in a woman's womb is just a bunch of cells and tissue?"

77708d0c9f185812411c7452156765c4--star-trek-generations-stargate.jpg

gettyimages-607392378-2000.jpg