The USFL

LCL

Here is a link to the different rules the USFL is going to adapt. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ds-3-point-conversions-best-three-rule-twists

I'll watch the games, I just don't get the structure of the league. Teams are going to have city/state names, but all games are going to be played in Birmingham, Alabama. Hard to root for a team when you live in New Jersey, but they play all the way in Alabama. The Championship is going to be played at the Hall of Fame stadium.The 3-Point rule is kind of intriguing, as well as the OT shootout. Kickoffs sound like they might be a little messy. Once again, I'll watch it because its football, but I hope its not too gimicky. Still don't see the point of naming teams after cities/states they won't be playing in.

RB Mike Weber, WR Johnnie Dixon of Ohio State are playing in it. QB Shea Patterson, of Michigan is playing and was the #1 overall pick.

Their is a need for the minor leagues in football outside of the NCAA, just not sure spring is the right time. They compete against three pro Leagues playing games including NBA & NHL postseasons. I actually think a schedule that kind of mirrors what the CFL uses that starts in July would be best as many MLB teams are out of contention at that time and there is not much going on in the sports world. It would also give NFL teams a chance to scout and to pluck players that may fill a short term need like the G League does for the NBA.

I watched most of the game last night. Had to leave about the two minute warning in the second qtr and came back with about 8 to go in the 3rd qtr. Was it NFL quality, no. Did I think it would be, no but it was not that bad.
Now since Trump owned the Generals in the first USFL did he watch it?...

I watched most of the game last night. Had to leave about the two minute warning in the second qtr and came back with about 8 to go in the 3rd qtr. Was it NFL quality, no. Did I think it would be, no but it was not that bad.
Now since Trump owned the Generals in the first USFL did he watch it?...
Here's hoping he keeps his distance as he killed the first iteration of the USFL.

Tampa Bandits v Pittsburgh Maulers FS 907 pm. Hour long pregame that is kind of interesting. I’ll probably watch a bit of the game, gotta get up early tomorrow.

Game was weathered out, lol

Last edited:
Shoot this league in the head already. People can only pretend to be interested in semi-pro quality football for so long.

The tentative first week ratings was 3.5 mil tuned in, that is just above the number for the AAF and XFL numbers from just a few years ago. However, the USFL game was on NBC and Fox.

The tv or attendance numbers are not as important for the USFL as prior spring league’s. The USFL is primarily about the betting #’s. Check the interest from Fan Duel, Draft Kings, online betting figures from various states - that is what this league is banking on.

It would be interesting to see the USFL champ play Alabama or Georgia, OSU....I wonder how that game would end up.

Anyone watching??? I just can't get into it. I watched a few plays and it just doesn't get it for me. NBA playoffs and baseball going on.

I watch a little this week (replays) … QB play is bad

QB play made even worse by bad OL play. The gap between OL and DL talent is already a concern in the NFL but these Spring leagues make it even more evident. DL has become so much more athletic and there are just aren't people that that large to fill the gap.

I mean, at least they can smoke heaters during practice tho. Lol.

1651261163920.png

I watch a little this week (replays) … QB play is bad
I agree about The QB play. That's why I liked the original USFL. QBs like Kelly, Fusina, Doug Williams. Recognizable names like Mike Rozier, Herchell and Ice Cube McNeil. I'll watch a bit cuz it's football, but I'm not invested. I didn't even know about this league debuting until my daughter told me about it that weekend

I turned a couple games on for a few minutes and hardly any fans at the games,I mean empty.

Perhaps every team should play their home games in their city I don't get why they're playing all the games in Birmingham? That's like in my home city, there's one stadium for high school football and all the city schools play their home games there and there's maybe 100 people total in the bleachers.......... a lot like the USFL. ?‍♂️

Zezzo - The USFL success/failure will be due to tv ratings and bettors interest. A distant 3rd will be attendance. Since all 8 teams are owned by one entity, their thought was one location would be easier from a logistical standpoint. No flying, hotel or travel expenses, no stadium leases, little front office help needed, etc. The goal of the USFL is for the teams to eventually play in their respective cities.

I very much enjoyed it. One must separate the USFL from the NFL and understand it is meant to be different.
Of course, I am a bigger sports fan than most, so I can see why most have a problem with anything that isn't mainstream.

the play is pretty awful, most people dont know who anyone is, and they are going against the NHL playoffs, NBA, MLB, HS spring sports and just general spring activities that has people engaged.

About the only people you get into this are the die hard and/or losers who have nothing better to do than to watch said games.