The technical foul - Africentric/OG video

I had to unfollow him. Evidently he overcame some demons in his life so everything is about religion now. Then he goes and basically calls out the officials for being racist.
I don't know Zach personally, but his "270 Hoops" website is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen wrt Ohio high school basketball. I have zero problems with his faith or religious beliefs since I don't know his story. Most of us have been through some rough patches in life, and when we make it through them we tend to give thanks...

I don't know Zach personally, but his "270 Hoops" website is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen wrt Ohio high school basketball. I have zero problems with his faith or religious beliefs since I don't know his story. Most of us have been through some rough patches in life, and when we make it through them we tend to give thanks...
And that's all well and good. I just don't need to follow a bible thumper on twitter when I want to read about basketball.

his backpedal was "i didn't say the ref was racist i said refs are biased towards city kids" was bs. his argument was that they were biased towards black kids. that's calling the ref racist dude.
I don't exectly remember his intiial tweet...but it either flat out said it, or clearly implied it

Unfortunately, HS basketball players are mimicking the NBA by 'showboating' more and more. Of course I've seen players try to dunk, miss the shot, the other team gets the rebound and scores. 4 point turnaround. About 12 years there was a Cleveland HS that had 2 players that did the alley-oop dunk. They did it 4 -5 times a game. Once was exciting, but more than that was just showboating. It's also happening in HS football. A kid makes a tackle, a first down or scores and he acts like he just won the lottery. A legendary Ohio coach always preached 'humble in victory, gracious in defeat. I guess that doesn't apply anymore.

Discussions are had in the locker room before games about teams, players, coaches, systems, histories etc…..

It’s our way of properly preparing for a game, just as the teams do.

What sort of things are discussed? A couple examples of what they might talk about one game versus some other game? I presume the "etc..." refers to what kind of free food you can expect? Just guessing on that.

What sort of things are discussed? A couple examples of what they might talk about one game versus some other game? I presume the "etc..." refers to what kind of free food you can expect? Just guessing on that.
A few things that help us properly prepare for what we may encounter that evening...

- We talk about playing styles and tendencies with regards to teams.
- Who the shooters are, who the leapers are, who the bangers are, who the players with reputations (good or bad) are.
-
Is there a history between the schools?

These things are particularly helpful when you have an official (or the crew) that is not familiar with one or both teams.

Was just reading that. The guy seriously thinks his opinion about a player should be the undisputed answer no matter the context. It’s amazing to see.
he literally replied to someone calling him out by saying "You cannot argue with KK's resume, I just felt Mari had the best year of anyone"...dude is nuts.

The rule for this is so vague really - leaves so much up for interpretation. IMO, the best way to officiate it is, does it look like the player was show boating, or being unsporting in any way. If yes, whack him. If not, play on and maybe let the player know if we was close to crossing that line....

The craziest part about the technical on a dunk is....it only has to do with the rim. A player can windmill, 360 spin, go through the legs, behind the back, throw it off the glass, bounce it high off the ground - virtually complete what would equate to a dunk contest style dunk and there is nothing wrong or against the rules about it. But hang on the rim for .5 seconds too long and bang, technical is coming! Just doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things really.....

The rule for this is so vague really - leaves so much up for interpretation. IMO, the best way to officiate it is, does it look like the player was show boating, or being unsporting in any way. If yes, whack him. If not, play on and maybe let the player know if we was close to crossing that line....

The craziest part about the technical on a dunk is....it only has to do with the rim. A player can windmill, 360 spin, go through the legs, behind the back, throw it off the glass, bounce it high off the ground - virtually complete what would equate to a dunk contest style dunk and there is nothing wrong or against the rules about it. But hang on the rim for .5 seconds too long and bang, technical is coming! Just doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things really.....
I believe the initial rule had as much to do about not pulling/bending the rim off the backboard. Prior to breakaway rims, it was not uncommon to see rims tilted forward in gyms.

This is basically how I officiate these plays and I believe you’ve described the bulk of the spirit/intent of the rule especially in the age of breakaway rims.

I’m not interested in getting into a debate with a coach (and subsequently, an assigner) about whether a dunker was holding onto the rim for “safety.” I’m looking for an obvious chin-up, smacking the backboard, rattling the basket, thrashing your legs around in excitement – an action that makes it obvious on film that you’ve gone beyond what’s acceptable from a “safety” standpoint.

While I hate to second guess the judgment of a state championship official, I just don’t believe the play in question meets the criteria for what the rule is designed to penalize.

Exactly what I meant.

In all my years of covering sports, I would never post pictures of myself celebrating with a team I covered winning a game or championship. That's horrible bias. I'd be willing to bet that Fleer asked for the pictures himself and not the other way around.
In collegiate or professional sports, such an action would be grounds for revoking your press pass.

If it’s this debatable it should not be called.
Dunking is not illegal and the player needs to be protected. I dunked and you’d be surprised how high you are and how vulnerable you are to injury. Always pisses me the off when I see technicals called.

If it’s this debatable it should not be called.
Dunking is not illegal and the player needs to be protected. I dunked and you’d be surprised how high you are and how vulnerable you are to injury. Always pisses me the off when I see technicals called.

Can you think of a topic that fans would not debate? There wouldn't be any need for a rule book if they weren't going to call anything fans would debate.

If a player is afraid of getting hurt while dunking they have this option: don't dunk. The grab, the swing, it's imitation not self preservation. It's practiced. It's for the show. If it's a foul, call the foul. Then all are on the same page..

Can you think of a topic that fans would not debate? There wouldn't be any need for a rule book if they weren't going to call anything fans would debate.

If a player is afraid of getting hurt while dunking they have this option: don't dunk. The grab, the swing, it's imitation not self preservation. It's practiced. It's for the show. If it's a foul, call the foul. Then all are on the same page..
Ehh, not necessarily. I had times where the only way or most sure way to score was to dunk the ball.

And that's all well and good. I just don't need to follow a bible thumper on twitter when I want to read about basketball.
And over the last week or so he's taken everything to a whole different level.

I don't think he can be considered media anymore. I know if I am an AD I am telling him to buy his own ticket.

And over the last week or so he's taken everything to a whole different level.

I don't think he can be considered media anymore. I know if I am an AD I am telling him to buy his own ticket.
I unfollowed so I haven't seen any recent tweets.