The rich get richer....Browns donate to Hoban

It's not as if the more disadvantaged places are being ignored. In addition to Ellet:
CMSD:

Toledo:

Boys/Girls Hope:

We should be grateful to the Browns for donating the money for turfing fields, rather than questioning them. Because of this, more kids can play on safer facilities( which had been dirt fields or mud pits). With the numbers dropping, football needs all of the participants it can get. Everywhere.

Last edited:
I think Hoban is. Better choice because of there success and continued success .. I think it would really make people scratch there heads to see Firestone with turf field just to go 0-10 on it ... your not be. Wearily getting your moneys worth with that or any other city league team .... there thinking business wise is out the turf where it will be for something that’s growing and everyone can see the dividends from it

This is just a heartwarming story and such great news during the holiday season. May be Hoban who is affectionately known as the 'Little engine that could" will prosper and actually compete in the play-offs . That one three point loss after 234 straight in the playoffs surely stings and hurts their self esteem not to mention that other loss to Iggy . This incredible gesture will surely give downtrodden Hoban a boost . heartwarming indeed .

This is just a heartwarming story and such great news during the holiday season. May be Hoban who is affectionately known as the 'Little engine that could" will prosper and actually compete in the play-offs . That one three point loss after 234 straight in the playoffs surely stings and hurts their self esteem not to mention that other loss to Iggy . This incredible gesture will surely give downtrodden Hoban a boost . heartwarming indeed .
LOL! The story certainly does have an "It's a Wonderful Life" feel to it, doesn't it?

Hopefully this generous donation helps Hoban attract more athletes away from depleted and less affluent neighboring districts, struggling taxpayers, and improves their football program. They had a rough year. Smh.

Seriously I credit the Browns for their charitable causes but this seems astonishingly tone-deaf. I can't imagine a more controversial or divisive PR choice. Except maybe a dome or 2nd indoor for Massillon, lol.

Last edited:
These practice fields are going to be available to youth football programs all over that side of town.
I suspect that was a big part of their application to the Browns to get this grant. Otherwise, it really doesn't make much sense.

How many of the Akron Public teams don't even have their own stadiums? I know East and Kenmore-Garfield don't. Most of the league games are played at UA. But Hoban gets money for practice fields? Seriously.

Kenmore-Garfield has its own stadium. So do Ellet and Buchtel. Just or unjust in the court of public opinion, Hoban applied for the grant (as many schools do for various projects/initiatives) and was awarded the funds. Did any of the other schools in the area also apply for the same grant? (I don’t know. Serious question).

Nice - Browns just paid for an Akron City recruiting facility for Hoban. Let’s be real - this is exactly what this will be. I don’t even live in Akron but it’s pretty obvious.

Unfortunate the Browns are aiding what’s wrong in HS sports. Maybe next year they’ll supply a few hundred thousand $ in tuition assistance for any athletes interested in leaving their school district to attend Hoban and participate in football as part of their “play for a state title” program.

I’m sure by some it will be painted as something great for the underprivileged youth of Akron, but it’s clear what the main purpose is for this - to help Hoban athletics recruit student athletes.

Other far from “well off” programs have to bust their behinds to raise public funds and a private school with plenty of donors gets handed $250k.

Overall I definitely agree with all of the comments on there being more needy/deserving programs around NE Ohio.

One thing I would chime in on is perhaps the Browns (their foundation, really) saw that Hoban has the resources to take better care of the facility long term and could also come up with more of the ancillary resources for the surface to realize its full potential.

The Reds ponied up a ton of cash through their Community Fund to put in baseball diamonds all around the city in low-income communities to help stimulate the growth of baseball in the areas. I drive past a few every day that just don't seem to be well loved/cared for. I've never seen a game or practice played on the ones I pass most often. It could be a thriving program and I am just missing all of it but I see enough evidence that makes me wonder otherwise.

I will give the Browns/Haslams/whoever credit for their generosity. Here in Cincinnati it's a soccer team that has built the most substantial football field and stadium on their dime (for selfish interests obviously). The Clown Brown family are about as selfish as it gets. If they are doing anything of substance around town for others they do a great job of keeping it quiet. Their philanthropy is as pathetic as their "pro" team.

The Bengals have not been totally remiss:

Once again the Browns fail. I'm guessing someone with the Browns is a Hoban Alum. There are so many schools that need real help and you pick a private school!! Then add salt to the wound building 2 practice fields!! I bet theres a dozen or more school just in NE Ohio that need help. My God Waterloo High School in Portage County had to play all home games at a different school because of unsafe bleachers. The Browns should be ashamed.