The "Official" Colerain vs. Ryle Poll ~Bluegrass Edition!

Who Will Win and what will the margin of victory be?

• Colerain Wins by 8-14 Points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryle Wins By a Close Margin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colerain plays Ryle because they were willing to sign a 2 year deal. With the demise of the Herby Ohio vs. USA, Colerain struggled to find a team in Cincy willing to sign a multi year deal to play the Cards. Ryle was willing to step up, and they typically win 7-9 games a season. Good Harbin points to be had by that NKY Cow!

It is a strategy that Colerain learned from the GCL schools, scheduling those big beefy cows early in the season.

Colerain plays Ryle because they were willing to sign a 2 year deal. With the demise of the Herby Ohio vs. USA, Colerain struggled to find a team in Cincy willing to sign a multi year deal to play the Cards. Ryle was willing to step up, and they typically win 7-9 games a season. Good Harbin points to be had by that NKY Cow!

It is a strategy that Colerain learned from the GCL schools, scheduling those big beefy cows early in the season.

I have no doubt that Moeller would sign a 2 year contract. But wait, the spineless GMC won't allow that now will they?

I have no doubt that Moeller would sign a 2 year contract. But wait, the spineless GMC won't allow that now will they?
Would love to see Moeller in a home and home. They have not been to the cage for a regular season matchup since 96 i believe. Too bad there is a boycott...oh well.

This is the fourth year in a row that Colerain is playing a GCL-S team who they agreed to a home and home with.

I think that is pretty good. They could play X, Moeller, and Elder, all on the road, every year, and that still wouldn't be good enough in some eyes.

They start a two game series with Wayne next year, a perennial public school power in SW Ohio every year. If I am not mistaken they are the only other public school besides Colerain to win R4 in recent history.

If the Harbin system was not in place I bet they would play the GCL 3 every year.

The year prior to the first game between these two schools Ryle was a state semi-final or finalist in Kentucky's largest division.

when the deal was signed Ryle was coming off a season when they beat Highlands i believe. Was a good deal a couple seasons ago.

Yes, Ryle is the only team to beat Highlands since Colerain beat Highlands in 2008 (60 games ago for Highlands).

Ryle had been the Class 6A runner up to Trinity in 2010 with a regular season record of 9-1 (only regular season record matters for the Harbins).

Ryle also had a good RB who had D1 offers last year and a potential 8-9 wins.

All sounded good for a Harbin Cow until Colerain put that RB out for the season and Ryle end up going 6-4 last year.

Ryle is 1-1 so far this season and will probably end up with either 6 or 7 wins. Possible losses are Cooper (in week 0), Colerain, Columbus DeSales in week 3 and Highlands in week 10.

I live in Dragontown USA, but I got to say Colerain is the one team in the state that holds it down. Sure they dont have as many state titles as some other teams, and maybe they dont have as tuff of a schedule as certain teams, but they are the best representative for the state of Ohio. Whenever they play a tuff team from out of state (TX, AL, etc.) they win. ST. X cant say that. Ignatius cant say that. If an out-of-stater asked me to pick one team to play in the 50 man tournament, Id have to pick COLERAIN.

Yeah, tell them good luck with that "tuffy" team from Ryle. St. X can't say what? that we chose to play Trinity vs. Ryle? I give them kudo's for scheduling teams like Cocoa but not Ryle. Ignatius can't say what? that anyone else in the State of Ohio couldn't knock them off the mountain last year? Please don't drink and post or drive.

Ryle is not a power house historically I will give you that but they have defeated some name schools or schools that were hyped up coming into the seasons/games:

Tyler Lee, Texas
Cardinal O'Hara from Philly
Hoover, Alabama
McKeesport, PA
Cocoa, Florida

Have won them all. Let's schedule Trinity now! Oh, wait....they will lose all of the great players they have now on a once in a generation team to graduation and will probably come back down to earth a little bit. Then we play them in a year where they go like 7-3 or maybe even 6-4. From which you hear "why did you schedule them?"

High School football is so inconsistent....especially public schools.

I will give the GCL their due that they have defeated Colerain fair and square over the years, but outside of X and Elder, I think they have only lost a handful of games in the past 10+ years. Since 2000 the only public schools to beat Colerain have been Upper Arlington (once), Hilliard Davidson (once), and Middletown (once). I feel like their only other loss was to Moeller in 2002. And yes, I know there was plenty of GMC bacon on the menu over this time too. I'm sure plenty of other schools would gladly take this resume.

Yeah, tell them good luck with that "tuffy" team from Ryle. St. X can't say what? that we chose to play Trinity vs. Ryle? I give them kudo's for scheduling teams like Cocoa but not Ryle. Ignatius can't say what? that anyone else in the State of Ohio couldn't knock them off the mountain last year? Please don't drink and post or drive.

we played Highlands years back too which I believe beat X not long ago. Do we get any cred for that? we would really like your approval....thx

we played Highlands years back too which I believe beat X not long ago. Do we get any cred for that? we would really like your approval....thx

And I approve this message...just sayin....Highlands is a good game. How about a LaSalle home and home or Elder or any of the Columbus teams?

Good luck tonight Colerain. I hope no one gets any turf toe coming out of this one. :cool:

Fox Sports Ohio ratings are going to go down on this one. No one will be watching after halftime.

I'd say I hear a cow mooing but that may not be true since Ryle has already lost once this year giving up 35 points in their opener.

I live in Dragontown USA, but I got to say Colerain is the one team in the state that holds it down. Sure they dont have as many state titles as some other teams, and maybe they dont have as tuff of a schedule as certain teams, but they are the best representative for the state of Ohio. Whenever they play a tuff team from out of state (TX, AL, etc.) they win. ST. X cant say that. Ignatius cant say that. If an out-of-stater asked me to pick one team to play in the 50 man tournament, Id have to pick COLERAIN.

St. X can't say what?

Play 3 OOS teams a year

Defeated:
DeMatha Catholic, MD 28-7 (who were ranked #5 by USA Today and won the WCAC and were 11-1)
Prattville, AL 15-10 (who won the AL state championship and finished 14-1, defeating Hoover, AL and #2 in USA Today the previous year)
Don Bosco Prep, NJ 17-10 (who were ranked #4 by USA Today and won the Nonpublic Group 4 championship and finished 11-1)

Lost:
Lakeland, FL, losing 25-22 in OT ( who were ranked #3 by USA Today and defending USA Today national champions)
Our Lady of Good Counsel, MD 21-6 (WCAC champions 12-0)

Are 6-2 versus Louisville Trinity (KY record for most state titles in football)
Are 10-1 versus Indianapolis Cathedral

What can't St. X say? Colerain can't say they've played the #2, #3, #4 and #5 ranked teams in the country in just 3 seasons.
These teams are a bit bigger names than most of the names on Colerain's list.

Good luck tonight versus Ryle, though! I can understand trying to find a team willing to sign a 2-year contract. Colerain is going to steamroll them. See ya week 3!

Last edited:
I say man up. We will take our chances. You are the one crying about finding an opponent . Just sayin. Get real for a change.

I'd skip the St. X game to go see Colerain vs Moeller. I guess we may see it yet come playoffs. Can't boycott the OHSAA playoff pairings.

I'm going with Colerain 49-0.

I'm personally tired of the Colerain- GCL matchups. I think any of those teams can win the game on any given Sunday. I think it's beneficial to both to play in a preseason scrimmage.

That being said, there is one other city I think can hang with the likes of the top 3-4 in Cincy year in and out. I would love to see the train head up 74 to play Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, et al.

I'm going with Colerain 49-0.

I'm personally tired of the Colerain- GCL matchups. I think any of those teams can win the game on any given Sunday. I think it's beneficial to both to play in a preseason scrimmage.

That being said, there is one other city I think can hang with the likes of the top 3-4 in Cincy year in and out. I would love to see the train head up 74 to play Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, et al.

Those would be good matchups too. I'd like to see the rematch of the 2006 state semis between Hilliard Davidson and Colerain.

I would love to see the train head up 74 to play Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, et al.
I saw Cleveland Glenville play at Warren Central in their Gridiron Classic a few years ago. It's a very nice event, and Warren Central has a nice stadium with FieldTurf. It would probably to Colerain's advantage to play Ben Davis or Warren Central, rather than the GCL, because the current situation gives the GCL the opportunity to keep the Cards out of the playoffs.

The current reality is that Colerain is basically the only thing that stands in the way of a GCL regional champ most seasons these days. It should be no surprise that the GCL teams all want to play Colerain with the hope that they can knock out their chief competitor right from the get-go.

With that all said, I predict a lot of pain for Ryle this week. The Cards can call the score for whatever they want this week.

I saw Cleveland Glenville play at Warren Central in their Gridiron Classic a few years ago. It's a very nice event, and Warren Central has a nice stadium with FieldTurf. It would probably to Colerain's advantage to play Ben Davis or Warren Central, rather than the GCL, because the current situation gives the GCL the opportunity to keep the Cards out of the playoffs.

The current reality is that Colerain is basically the only thing that stands in the way of a GCL regional champ most seasons these days. It should be no surprise that the GCL teams all want to play Colerain with the hope that they can knock out their chief competitor right from the get-go.

With that all said, I predict a lot of pain for Ryle this week. The Cards can call the score for whatever they want this week.

Current? The only years Colerain made it past R4 was 2004 and 2006. The current reality is the GCL is basically the only thing that stands in with way of a Colerain/GMC regional championship most seasons these days.

But I would agree that the GCL would love to knock them off during the season, given that the Cards have put up the most fight, the most times, in the playoffs.

Current? The only years Colerain made it past R4 was 2004 and 2006. The current reality is the GCL is basically the only thing that stands in with way of a Colerain/GMC regional championship most seasons these days.
The main point is that if a GCL team hadn't won the regional title in the years they have won the title, who else do you think would have won it most of the time? If it's not going to be one of the GCL teams, it's going to be Colerain.

Colerain looks very good early.

Two drives - 2 TDs.

Decent passing game being shown by the Cards. Looks like they're trying to give X some film work.

Ryle has a pirate ship in the back of one end zone. Kind of neat but it's not helping in the game.

Colerain is up 21 - 0 late in the 2nd.

Ramsby is having a huge PASSING game: 7 - 9 for 168 yards and 2 TD's.

Is it just me, or are Colerain's most successful passing plays the ones that have already been in their offense? When they line up 5-wide, obviously passing, they aren't as effective with it. I hope Colerain keeps running their passing plays out of their option formations. Then, the defense will have to stop:

1. Dive man
2. Quarterback
3. Pitch man
4. Receiver
5. Other slot back
6. Tight end

A defense won't know which skill player will be getting the ball if Colerain does this.

I know it was going to be a tall order coming in, but is Ryle even trying to win this game? They seem to be playing to just not get blown out.