The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Billy's OBP would be acceptable, barely, if he would hit 30+ HR. With no power and terrible on-base %, you cannot play. Go sort the MLB stats on OBP and take a look. For an OBP at .290 or lower with less than 5 HR, you will find exactly 1 player this year with enough AB's to qualify. Myles Straw from Cleveland. He is also widely regarded as terrible, but the Guards have a real OF problem too...
I think if you use today's baseball strategy and metrics, than yes. I'm not sure that's the way to the most success in baseball. I still think if you had a team that was dedicated to not striking out. good contact hitters who would move the ball, steal bases. They could be very successful in today's baseball climate. Way too much emphasis is put on the home run ball in today's game. A good analogy to compare is the 3 point shot in basketball. Yes, everyone shoots the 3 ball now. But if you're shooting at 25% and below, you're not helping your team, you're a detriment. Likewise in baseball, guys that hit a low batting average but hit alot of homers doesn't help the team. Case in point, Kyle Schwarber of the Phillies. He has 42 home runs this season, but is hitting .212. He's had 557 at bats this season. 195 strikeouts!! He makes ALOT of outs. Yes, he'll run into one every once in awhile. But man, to me, that's not productive offense.

Never thought I'd say this, but don't be shocked if Chase Anderson is competing for spot in the rotation in the spring. Take his first two appearances out, he's been pretty darn good since.
He sucked a$z today. Recorded one out. Embarrassing outing.

A franchise record of 102 losses is now only three games away!

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

The 3-22 start was horrible, obviously. But the Reds have also gone 4-19 the last 23 games. If we can manage to get swept by the Cubs at home look at the accomplishments:
- 102 losses would be an all time worst for the franchise
- 3-22 start of the season, 4-22 end of the season. Incredible. But some people will say "hey, 53-58 in the middle, not too bad!"
- Could finish behind the Pirates, who are also 60-99. What drama in the standings!

Of the last 7 full seasons, Reds have lost 90+ 5 times. The Castellinis deserve 102 losses. Go out and make it happen boys.

#SellTheTeamBob

He sucked a$z today. Recorded one out. Embarrassing outing.

A franchise record of 102 losses is now only three games away!

That's great....I thought about this post when yesterday happened. I jinxed him. I do think unless we bring in a bunch of other starting pitching candidates, he'll get a shot at the rotation in spring training.

This is difficult to say, but I'm ready to waive the white flag on this season. As much as I love baseball, this current edition of the team is dreadful to watch. In season's past, I always enjoyed watching Votto grind out at bats late into meaningless seasons, as it's rare these days. The Reds have like a 22-23 game streak of not scoring 5 runs or more, which is simply incredible because we're playing teams (Cubs and Pirates) who are down at the bottom of the NL like us. I may feel differntly in a month or two, but this is easily one of the longest, most forgettable seasons I can ever remember as a Reds fan. Other than Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and Diaz, I don't know that there was much else accomplished this season.
I really feel the Reds need to move on from David Bell.
episode 1 surrender GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

This is difficult to say, but I'm ready to waive the white flag on this season. As much as I love baseball, this current edition of the team is dreadful to watch. In season's past, I always enjoyed watching Votto grind out at bats late into meaningless seasons, as it's rare these days. The Reds have like a 22-23 game streak of not scoring 5 runs or more, which is simply incredible because we're playing teams (Cubs and Pirates) who are down at the bottom of the NL like us. I may feel differntly in a month or two, but this is easily one of the longest, most forgettable seasons I can ever remember as a Reds fan. Other than Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and Diaz, I don't know that there was much else accomplished this season.
I really feel the Reds need to move on from David Bell.
episode 1 surrender GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Its actually 10 consecutive losses to the Cubs and Pirates.

All you need to know about the Reds season: Alexis Diaz leads the pitching staff in Wins (6) and Saves (9). How pathetic is that?

Nothing against Diaz, I like him, he looks good.
Add to this that of all players currently on the Reds roster - active or inactive, Kyle Farmer leads the team with 14 home runs. Drury was traded before August and had 20 homers at the time, and no one is even close to that. Now take into account that Farmer has about 150 more plate appearances than any other Red this season and it makes some sense. Surprising fact, Nick Senzel has the 3rd most plate appearances of any Red this season. This will easily go down as one of the worst offensive seasons in team history.

But on the good side, and I know most of you checked out a long time ago, but Hunter Greene was magical last night. This kid is going to be really special the next few years for us. Yes, the overall numbers don't show it - 5-13 4.44 ERA, but his last several starts have been really good. He got 125 innings for the season. 164 strikeouts/ 48 walks/ gave up 24 homers. He's just scratching the surface of his pitching.

But on the good side, and I know most of you checked out a long time ago, but Hunter Greene was magical last night. This kid is going to be really special the next few years for us. Yes, the overall numbers don't show it - 5-13 4.44 ERA, but his last several starts have been really good. He got 125 innings for the season. 164 strikeouts/ 48 walks/ gave up 24 homers. He's just scratching the surface of his pitching.
Stolen from Reds beat writer Bobby Nightengale...I think this is much more telling of Greene's 2022.

After 16 starts: 6.01 ERA, 98 K in 79.1 IP, 22 HR allowed.
Last 8 starts: 1.75 ERA, 66 K in 46.1 IP, 2 HR allowed.

In 2022 Reds fashion, TJ Freidl pulled up lame stealing 3rd last night, looked like a hamstring pull. It's incredible how many Reds were injured this season. Watching India run now, I think he's still having trouble with his hamstring.

Stolen from Reds beat writer Bobby Nightengale...I think this is much more telling of Greene's 2022.

After 16 starts: 6.01 ERA, 98 K in 79.1 IP, 22 HR allowed.
Last 8 starts: 1.75 ERA, 66 K in 46.1 IP, 2 HR allowed.
yep he has been lights out since coming back from IL. He and Lodolo look very promising. I'm less excited about Ashcraft, but he will be serviceable next year.

yep he has been lights out since coming back from IL. He and Lodolo look very promising. I'm less excited about Ashcraft, but he will be serviceable next year.
I look at Ashcraft as as solid #3. He's got a Tom Browning mentality, a bulldog. Not the most talent, but he competes.

Lets hope he doesn't have the Tom Browning mentality when driving, which is crack open another cold one and hit the gas!
Yep, it's unfortunate about Browning's off field issues. He's always been such a great guy, teammate, interview. I don't know that MLB had the resources they have today. I remember interviews where some of the players of the past would say that Joe Nuxall would bring a couple of beers with him to the star of the game show to share with the players.
I think there are many more "social" alcoholics than we'd ever guess.

Well, this is one of the worst sports days of the year, the end of the baseball season. Unfortunately for Reds fans, that means literally the end of the season. Still love the grind, this has been one of the worst seasons to be a fan of this ball club for many reasons, I'll probably elaborate over the next few weeks as we bury this season and start projecting into next year. But it's still sad to see the baseball season come to an end. I'll watch the baseball playoffs but its always better when we're in it.

How does anyone who is a Reds fan (me included) actually believe that current or future ownership will ever put a consitant winner on the field? Yeah they've caught lightning in the bottle here and there, but then they just sell off their really good players instead of paying them and building a team around them. I'm 40, so for the first 20 seasons of my life they had been competitive, I get Steinbrenner opened the floodgates with massive contracts and that hurts small market teams, but if your an owner of a Professional team you have the finances to run it like one, not like a AA team. Invest in your players and guess what, more people show up ad you make more money to retain and get very good players.

Yep, it's unfortunate about Browning's off field issues. He's always been such a great guy, teammate, interview. I don't know that MLB had the resources they have today. I remember interviews where some of the players of the past would say that Joe Nuxall would bring a couple of beers with him to the star of the game show to share with the players.
I think there are many more "social" alcoholics than we'd ever guess.
The stories about alcohol in baseball are easy to find. Teams actually stoped the clubhouses with booze for the postgame. Changed when a player was involved in an accident on their way home (forget the player/team). Not sure Browning getting OVI proves anything other than he made a bad decision. Luckily nobody was hurt and hopefully he learns from it

A fitting end to the lousiest season in decades. 15-2 drubbing by another bad team.

Worst attendance season in 40 years also. Castellini shooting off his mouth contributed to that as much as the losing. Sad to watch them ruin a once-great franchise.

#SellTheTeamBob

100 losses, 98 losses, 104 losses. I'm not sure it matters really. Especially when you take into account that for most of the season the games were not about winning, but about development of the young players, especially pitchers. I was around in 1982, but I don't recall the vibe back then. I think back in those days the team actually tried to win every day and guys were fighting for jobs either that season or into the future. Case in point, the 1982 team had notable players on it including Johnny Bench, Ron Oester, Mario Soto, Dave Concepcion, Cesar Cedeno, Tom Seaver, Tom Humer and a young Gary Redus and Eddie Milner.

I couldn’t help but notice on Twitter that on a day that should have brought shame and scorn to the Reds organization for losing 100 games, Lance McAlister was already pivoting to “this rebuild is different” mode. Even if that’s true, no one wants to hear that right now. No one should be attempting to carry any water for this ownership group. (He does the same with David Bell, occasionally harping on something but mostly brushing off his numerous in-game managerial issues.)

Proud of Cincinnatians for sticking it to Phil and Bob.
I tend to think attendance often trails results by a year in baseball. Like, if a team has a really good year, fans will catch the drift and start showing up as the season goes on, but then they’re really excited the next season and show up in larger numbers.

I can’t help but wonder how much losing 100 games will further erode fan attendance next year. Is it possible it could drop below 1 million for the season? Probably not, but it might get close.

Opening Day, the Yankees series, and Cardinals/Cubs/Braves fans will help prop them up.

Make no mistake, the players on the field are trying to win, and play their very best. They want better contracts, more money, or opportunities with other teams next year. It is the ownership group that is clearly not concerned with winning.
The ownership group - or the GM who's responsible for players, traded multiple players we've not won with, and restocked our minor league system. Now, would you say they are trying to win today??? Nope. But this season was not, is not, and never was about winning. Now they are never going to come out and tell you that because they want you to follow the team and come to some games. But the TV deals today offset any loss in attendance.

I couldn’t help but notice on Twitter that on a day that should have brought shame and scorn to the Reds organization for losing 100 games, Lance McAlister was already pivoting to “this rebuild is different” mode. Even if that’s true, no one wants to hear that right now. No one should be attempting to carry any water for this ownership group. (He does the same with David Bell, occasionally harping on something but mostly brushing off his numerous in-game managerial issues.)

Ok AEW, what would you like to see, the Castellini's and Nick Krall tarred and feathered at Fountain Square??? I mean what are we doing here? Shame and scorn?? The Reds are worth 1.1 BILLION dollars!!!!! The major league baseball minimum salary is $550,000. Jose Barrero made $494,000 !!! For hitting .152 with an OPS of .195.
Who's successful??? Depends on how you look at it.

Shame and scorn? The players on the Reds, along with the other 29 major league baseball teams have the best baseball players in the WORLD!!!

This rebuild IS different. There are many who would have loved to see the Reds pony up for Castellenos, sign Castillo to a long term deal, keep Tucker Barnhard at above market value. And you know what, we still wouldn't win. The Reds simply cannot just pay every player that comes along that fans like. Sorry to say, it's a business. The Reds model has to be draft and develop, draft and develop. When you get guys who have value and other teams are willing to give you more than their value, you have to look to making trades.
BTW, I'm not a David Bell fan at all. He needs to be removed.