The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

On the bright side, we aren't Nationals fans. Team salary approaching $140M and a worse record than Cincy.

Strasburg is in the 3rd year of a 7-year, $245M deal. $35M per year. He signed that in Dec 2019 and has pitched in 8 games since then. Eight. Seems like stealing...

How about Fernando Tatis Jr. of the Padres?? He's in the 2nd of a 14 year contract paying him $340 million. I've played in the same number of games as Tatis has this season.
On the bright side, we aren't Nationals fans. Team salary approaching $140M and a worse record than Cincy.

Strasburg is in the 3rd year of a 7-year, $245M deal. $35M per year. He signed that in Dec 2019 and has pitched in 8 games since then. Eight. Seems like stealing...

I love Luis Castillo, but it seems like his starts go two ways, he either loses in a close 2-0, 3-1 type game where we don't score, or we get 2-3 run lead early for him and he gives it up.

I love Luis Castillo, but it seems like his starts go two ways, he either loses in a close 2-0, 3-1 type game where we don't score, or we get 2-3 run lead early for him and he gives it up.
Castillo pitches 7 innings, 3 runs allowed, only 6 base runners. A quality start. The offense had 5 hits. Dumpster Fire Warren pitched a third of an inning and gives up 4 runs.

Why are you banging on Castillo for this loss?

How about Fernando Tatis Jr. of the Padres?? He's in the 2nd of a 14 year contract paying him $340 million. I've played in the same number of games as Tatis has this season.
True enough, but the Padres are 40-24 without him. Imagine when he gets back. San Diego locked up a brilliant every-day player for his whole career. Bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it still pays off.

As for Strasburg, he has never been able to stay healthy. I was stunned when they signed him to that deal. And I'll be stunned if he ever wins more than 10 games in a season for the rest of his career. For $35M per year. Washington's GM makes Krall look less dumb.

Castillo pitches 7 innings, 3 runs allowed, only 6 base runners. A quality start. The offense had 5 hits. Dumpster Fire Warren pitched a third of an inning and gives up 4 runs.

Why are you banging on Castillo for this loss?
Not necessarily this one only, but to me, it seems like many times when he gets and early lead, it's not a good thing. Believe me, the focal point of our woes this year is the offense, followed by the bullpen and then the starting pitching. I just wanted that sweep so badly and we get up early 2-0.

True enough, but the Padres are 40-24 without him. Imagine when he gets back. San Diego locked up a brilliant every-day player for his whole career. Bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it still pays off.

As for Strasburg, he has never been able to stay healthy. I was stunned when they signed him to that deal. And I'll be stunned if he ever wins more than 10 games in a season for the rest of his career. For $35M per year. Washington's GM makes Krall look less dumb.
Let's stay tuned to Tatis. He's go a dozen years left on the contract and he's already got a chronic shoulder problem. The only good thing about Strasberg is the Nats actually won it all with him. Now we can say they had Scherzer too, but they did win once with him. I'd never sign a baseball player for more than 5 years, E-V-E-R!! There's just too many unknowns.
Reds fans don't realize it, but we got great deals out of Johnny Cueto and Zack Cozart as their careers turned out. Both of them made 75% or more of their baseball money after being a Red, and their best days by far was in Cincinnati. Krall looks like a genius compared to the Angels GM. They must just print money out there the way they hand out contracts.

The Padres are in first place while competing with the the $240 mil Dodgers. Tatis has also proven he can play. I think they feel just fine right now.

Last edited:
Going to be some interesting decisions for David Bell the next few weeks. I'll admit, I've never heard of Donovan Solano. Looked up his stats, seems like a solid backup / spot starter kind of player. So where do you play him?? He's played most of his career at 2nd base, a little short, a little 3rd. Fortunately now for Bell, he's got the DH to dump a guy into daily. Votto isn't coming off first, India's not coming off 2nd, I feel Farmer has earned his spot and as long as we're paying Moustakas what we're paying him, he's going to either play 3rd or DH. Brandon Drury may be this teams best player in the first half with little argument. Also on his way back soon is Max Schrock, who'll likely be an outfielder with the log jam in the infield. Right now there is a little room out there with Naquin being out.

That would be insane. They can keep him until late July and jettison him. It’s not like fans could be particularly attached to the guy.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Having an All-Star sells tickets.. at least that what Castellini would say. That's all they care about.

By definition, every team has an all star. ?‍♂️

Not every team has a management group that can plan for the future.

Reds swept out of their own yard by the previously scuffling Brewers. This team’s composition is that of sulfuric horse manure. Speaking of horse manure, it’s still unbelievable that Krall talked before the season that they wanted to give this team every chance to make the playoffs.

I’m sure the Dodgers and Giants will take it easy on them this week.

The simple choice would be to trade Farmer and Drury.

Do either of those two guys have very much trade value? WE may think they do but if you weren't a Reds fan, would you even know who Kyle Farmer and Brandon Drury was?

Do either of those two guys have very much trade value? WE may think they do but if you weren't a Reds fan, would you even know who Kyle Farmer and Brandon Drury was?
Both are on a realistic pace for 90-100 RBIs assuming no slumps, which is a big assumption. A contender would take that any day.

Just an absolute crushing weekend for the Reds. Coming off a road trip, you have Milwaukee at home, you get to skip Burnes and Woodruff and you still can't win. In the 3 games you score 4-3-3. With our young staff and struggling bullpen, you simply are not going to win games if you score less than 5-6 runs a game. Add to that you have the Dodgers coming in then off to San Francisco...AND Alexis Diaz goes to the DL....

Perhaps the GM's of other teams pay closer attention than fans? They know who Farmer and Drury are.

Both guys are putting up numbers. Both guys could help a contender with an injury issue on the infield; they have value. Trade them in the next 3-4 weeks. The future starts now.

Reds swept out of their own yard by the previously scuffling Brewers. This team’s composition is that of sulfuric horse manure. Speaking of horse manure, it’s still unbelievable that Krall talked before the season that they wanted to give this team every chance to make the playoffs.

I’m sure the Dodgers and Giants will take it easy on them this week.

Pirates recently swept the Dodgers, and the Guardians just won 2 out of 3 in LA. Reds should easily win the series.

Almost as many Dodger fans as Reds fans at the game - I hate front runner fans. I know I am old school but Lux LH batter takes an outside pitch and slaps it to LF for a hit. After Turner gets an infield hit, Freeman takes an outside pitch and whacks it off the wall in LC that Senzel plays in to a triple. 40 years ago next batter would have had some chin music coming at him, I miss the old days.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on some of the Reds top 5-10 prospects? Outside of the young guys who have already made it to the majors in Lodolo, Greene, Barrero, I don’t know much about the farm systems. I can go check top 30 lists but was hoping for some insight into the players as well.

Almost as many Dodger fans as Reds fans at the game - I hate front runner fans. I know I am old school but Lux LH batter takes an outside pitch and slaps it to LF for a hit. After Turner gets an infield hit, Freeman takes an outside pitch and whacks it off the wall in LC that Senzel plays in to a triple. 40 years ago next batter would have had some chin music coming at him, I miss the old days.
There are and always will be front runner fans. That's just the way it is.
Pitching aside, the Dodger lineup is just so impressive. And it's top to bottom. Yes they go buy a few guys to add, but he Dodger home grown talent is really good. Bellinger and Muncy aren't even hitting for them either.

There are and always will be front runner fans. That's just the way it is.
Pitching aside, the Dodger lineup is just so impressive. And it's top to bottom. Yes they go buy a few guys to add, but he Dodger home grown talent is really good. Bellinger and Muncy aren't even hitting for them either.
Yep, they "go buy a few guys". When you buy Freddie Freeman at $27M, Mookie Betts at $22.5M and Trea Turner at $21M that tends to help a lineup. They aren't just "guys", they are among the best players in baseball.

Yep, they "go buy a few guys". When you buy Freddie Freeman at $27M, Mookie Betts at $22.5M and Trea Turner at $21M that tends to help a lineup. They aren't just "guys", they are among the best players in baseball.
The Reds could always try playing with six players. Those three guys are more than half the Reds total payroll.