The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Makes me think that these guys whose GO TO in public is a slap across the face just might be practicing at home. Muscle memory.
This story just cracks me up. And it really just goes to show you the mentality if some of these pro athletes. For many, they simply never grow up. They play a game, they get paid well for it but they don't mature. Pham is an odd duck and you can about see it in his mannerisms. And good for the Reds, they really didn't do the typical cover for the player. They allowed Pham / required him to answer the questions the media has. How silly does both he and Peterson look?
If you believe what is on Wikipedia, Pham has had quite a life. He's truly a survivor. He was born a twin to teen parents in Las Vegas, his dad got caught up into drugs and because his mom worked so much, he was raised by a grandparent. Mom remarried, but Pham had problems with the step dad, even being stabbed by him. Baseball was his outlet where he excelled, actually a better pitching prospect, had offers from Arizona and Cal State Fullerton but opted for pro ball.

That was kinda a deflating loss today. Started with Farmer being called out at home. Unraveled from there.
Incredibly deflating, we were 4 outs from sweeping the Giants. This team's inability to score is just killing them. Through 7 innings, they had 2 runs and when you keep the other team that close, the 8th inning can happen.

After the 3-22 start, this bunch has somehow gone 14-9. Not sure how, with almost no offense and a trash bullpen. Castillo has sparked the change, it seems, he has been really good and led the change in attitude. With the win last night the Reds no longer have the worst record in baseball. half game ahead of Washington, and a full game ahead of KC. Next team to catch - Detroit.

In stretches this team has got pretty good pitching. Offense is and has been a problem, but that's not just a Reds thing, it's a baseball thing. At this point the Reds look very smart holding Castillo back in the crappy weather of April, where he's always struggled. He's been REALLY good this season. Connor Overton was great before the injury. Mahle gives you two good starts then a stinker, but that's him and that's the way he's always been. Vlad Gutierrez has been disappointing but has pitched better lately. Hunter Greene has had his ups and downs, but he's making progress.
The bullpen has been a hodgepodge of characters who've all had their ups and downs other than Alexis Diaz.
Offensively, this has been a team of renegades who's put this team back on track. Brandon Drury, Matt Reyolds, Albert Almora, Kyle Farmer, Moose hit for a week or two, Joey's been better since coming back from Covid, Tyler Stephenson. Not this team is very offensively challenged. As a team, we are batting .226 with an on base percentage of only .299, only the Pirates are worse. But the pitching has kept us in most games and we're finding a way, like last night, to scratch out wins.
After the 3-22 start, this bunch has somehow gone 14-9. Not sure how, with almost no offense and a trash bullpen. Castillo has sparked the change, it seems, he has been really good and led the change in attitude. With the win last night the Reds no longer have the worst record in baseball. half game ahead of Washington, and a full game ahead of KC. Next team to catch - Detroit.

Tommy Pham was in the lineup again today...but now scratched again. Is calf discomfort a real thing?? Are the Reds and Pham's people trying to work out a buyout or something?

Tommy Pham was in the lineup again today...but now scratched again. Is calf discomfort a real thing?? Are the Reds and Pham's people trying to work out a buyout or something?
Doubtful…here would be their answer to the Reds request. Give us our guaranteed money

The good and bad of Hunter Greene, looked unhittable the first 3 innings last night, then couldn't get anyone out in the 4th. Reds have a June where they can have some success. They have the 11 games Nationals and Diamondbacks the first couple of weeks of June. Also in June is the Cardinals, Brewers, Dodgers and Giants.

Why would your conspiracy theory make any sense? Because of the slap?

Pham has guaranteed money, why would he want out for less money? If he can play fairly well, he gets traded to a contender in July. Reds have invested in him, and can trade him for an asset in July. Makes no sense to me for either side. Sounds like a silly talk radio idea.

... Reds have a June where they can have some success. They have the 11 games Nationals and Diamondbacks the first couple of weeks of June. Also in June is the Cardinals, Brewers, Dodgers and Giants.
I acknowledge the Reds have been playing better, but the truth is that this year Washington and the Dbacks are looking at the Reds series as winnable for them also. We are down on their level. I'd imagine a 13-14 record in June is about where the Reds land, which is way way better than 3-22.

Why would your conspiracy theory make any sense? Because of the slap?

Pham has guaranteed money, why would he want out for less money? If he can play fairly well, he gets traded to a contender in July. Reds have invested in him, and can trade him for an asset in July. Makes no sense to me for either side. Sounds like a silly talk radio idea.
Believe me, I really like Tommy Pham. We need more guys like him. No nonsense, all business. But coming off a weekend off, he has "calf discomfort" not once, but then is in the lineup both day and scratched again last night???
I love the Reds, but they have a front office that is less than above board with news. One thing I really liked about Bryan Price was that he answered questions on a daily basis, good or bad. David Bell is a politician who doesn't have a pulse. He's robotic with the media and has about 5 common themes he goes to with every question.
I guess when we actually see Pham in the lineup, we can put this one to bed.

Ashcraft looks good, he is going to make Mahle expendable at the trade deadline. Ashcraft throws 99 with a nice breaking ball that he has been locating well. Ideally the Reds would extend Castillo, and go forward with Castillo, Greene, Ashcraft and Lodolo as the future rotation. That is promising.

Get a prospect that can hit for Mahle. Get another prospect that can hit for Pham. Set the Moose free in Yellowstone park for all I care.

Ashcraft does look good, but remember the Reds will likely have him on a pitch and innings restrictions this season, so come August / September, someone is going to have to take the ball. I'm ok with dealing Mahle, but only if the return is good. We'll see what the market is for him. I like the future rotation, but Lodolo scares me. Young guys with back problems don't normally get better.

Ashcraft does look good, but remember the Reds will likely have him on a pitch and innings restrictions this season, so come August / September, someone is going to have to take the ball. I'm ok with dealing Mahle, but only if the return is good. We'll see what the market is for him. I like the future rotation, but Lodolo scares me. Young guys with back problems don't normally get better.
The August/September rotation will probably be Castillo, Lodolo, Overton, Greene/Ashcraft and Dunn. And Williamson could come up and make some starts by then. And Gutierrez is always an emergency option. They’ll have enough arms to cover things even if Mahle and Minor get traded (which they will if all goes according to plan).

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Well, most of those wins (14-9) came without Votto in the lineup. That is how!!!!

Well, most of those wins (14-9) came without Votto in the lineup. That is how!!!!
Votto has the 5th highest OPS in all of MLB in the past two weeks since he came off the IL, per Enquirer’s Charlie Goldsmith.

Poor outing by Mike Minor last night. Not at all a good sign since his value to this club ends in less than two months. He was clearly signed just to be trade bait, so if he pitches like garbage and can’t fetch a return, that is a total sunk cost for the cheap owners and a pathetic trade by Nick Krall.

Poor outing by Mike Minor last night. Not at all a good sign since his value to this club ends in less than two months. He was clearly signed just to be trade bait, so if he pitches like garbage and can’t fetch a return, that is a total sunk cost for the cheap owners and a pathetic trade by Nick Krall.

Well, Minor has pitched like garbage most of his career, so Krall expecting him to pitch well in GABP was foolish to begin with. $10M flushed down the toilet.

So predictable, like most morons, we know what you will say before you say it.

Doesn't matter that no single baseball player can win a game, except for a starting pitcher on occasion. Doesn't matter that Votto has single-handedly carried the offense since coming back from the injured list. Doesn't matter that for his career he has a .300 BA, a remarkable .415 OBP, 2000+ hits, 335 HR, 1000+ RBI.

Seems like your hate is also an obsession. You claim to not follow the Reds, but you obsessively have Votto negative stats at the ready. Weird. Maybe get some professional counseling...

It stinks to not even be able to care about the actual games since the ownership and front office tanked so hard.

So predictable, like most morons, we know what you will say before you say it.

Doesn't matter that no single baseball player can win a game, except for a starting pitcher on occasion. Doesn't matter that Votto has single-handedly carried the offense since coming back from the injured list. Doesn't matter that for his career he has a .300 BA, a remarkable .415 OBP, 2000+ hits, 335 HR, 1000+ RBI.

Seems like your hate is also an obsession. You claim to not follow the Reds, but you obsessively have Votto negative stats at the ready. Weird. Maybe get some professional counseling...
It’s a hard choice if I get more enjoyment from the Reds being a contender or them sucking and causing you so much heart ache ?

The shade thrown at Votto by some Reds fans are for one reason only, and that's his contract. "Some" fans are fans of players, until they get a big contract and then they don't like them anymore. I just don't get it.

So the track of pro baseball players is this. Get drafted, and work yourself into a major contract after the first 4-5 years. The Reds signed Votto to a 10 year contract in 2013. I remember that time. Many were saying the Reds needed to sign their stars long term so they didn't get away, etc. Then as soon as they sign a big deal, they become the enemy?

Here's what I see with Votto. Say what you want, that was an excellent contract for the club and Joey. Before he hangs it up either after 2023 or 2024, he will be in the top two or three of just about every Reds offensive category. Has his production dropped off, yes of course. He's not getting paid for what he should be doing, he's getting paid what was negotiated 8 years ago when it was imperative to keep him here. Reds actually caught a break in that now he can at least DH some because it's been incorporated in the NL.
But here's my main thing on Votto. Have you ever seen, in any sport over the last 20 years, a guy who never, EVER criticizes his team, the fans, the owner, the media, anything? Joey is very calculated in what he says. It's almost a weekly occurrence that a star is upset with management because they don't respect the player, or they don't go get help, or they draft another player in that same position, or...you come up with the reason???
Votto has been 100% on board, never seems to get upset at fans criticisms. He's been great to so many fans over the years. He's come out of his shell alot the last 5 years. He'll be one of my favorite Reds of all time.

What a demoralizing weekend for Reds fans. You've come off a high with a good May, beat the Nats Thursday and have Mahle and Castillo coming up and you lose the other 3 games of the series. The Nationals are not a very good baseball team and they beat the crap out of our staff, starters and bullpen.
I've not said much about David Bell this season. I'm kind of indifferent. I guess the front office is either ok with his laid back, no fire attitude or they ask him to be this way. There is no sense of urgency with this team and it's clear as each day goes by. We send guys out to rehab assignments for a week to 10 days and we just hope they come back. We had a guy get picked off first base to end the game yesterday. He wasn't even the tying run. Was there anything said to him about it? Who knows. Bell probably applauded him for his effort getting on base. He's probably "proud" of him. This whimpy attitude has permeated into the team. I the inning we lost the lead yesterday, we had a chance for a triple play, didn't execute. a chance for a double play to get out of the inning and didn't execute. You give major league teams 4 and 5 outs in an inning and it's not going to end well.
Now we have the Diamondbacks 7 of our next 10 games. We've got the Dodgers and Giants towards the end of the month, we don't want to be at a point where we have to beat those teams. I still feel this team has not played up to it's capabilities, even with the injuries. And really, looking at our injuries the last month to 6 weeks, Reynolds has filled in admirably for India, and Brandon Drury has done all that Jose Barerro would have done. I don't feel we've really missed them. Albert Almora has done a nice job in the outfield as well.

Hunter Greene. Reds fans, forget the past, forget predicting the future. Enjoy the moment, stay in the present. This kid, could be one of the best pitchers in baseball soon.
Also, it seems like at least once a week, Joey Votto is moving past someone on the Reds career list. I think I heard Lance McCallister say last night that Votto is in the top 4 in Reds history in 13 different offensive categories. Enjoy the present. Votto will go down as one of the best Reds ever....EVER.

Hunter Greene. Reds fans, forget the past, forget predicting the future. Enjoy the moment, stay in the present. This kid, could be one of the best pitchers in baseball soon...
Man that kid is smooth. When he's able to get the slider over, it's not fair. He's going to be really special.
You told us to not predict the future for Greene. Then you did so twice within the same minute. :ROFLMAO: