The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Regarding the attendance, I was curious about that note, so I looked into it. In 2019, the season started March 28, 10 days earlier than this season, so weather early on was likely colder. But the big difference is that it appears the 2019 Reds had two weekend games banged by rainouts early on, including the Saturday game after Opening Day, which likely had been marketed as Kids Opening Day and/or Opening Night. A couple weeks later, their Friday night game vs STL was rained out, and the other two crowds Saturday and Sunday vs STL were noticeably weak (less than 17K each). Not sure if that was a bad weather weekend.

This year’s Reds got a full weekend series vs the Cards in good weather that drew decent crowds, all 3 games between 20K and 28K. And got 3 weekend games vs Pirates included in there … although Game 1 of Saturday’s DH had a dreadful crowd of less than 10K.

In summary: Only three weekend games among the first 12 in 2019. Six weekend games among the first 12 this season. And the STL weekend crowds were larger this year, likely due to better weather. Lastly, I tend to think that Reds attendance often trails team results by a year. The team was a disaster in 2018 and wasn’t expected to be good in 2019, so that likely kept folks away. The Reds were pretty decent last year, which would have helped with attendance early this season (and still may have), but they mostly flushed away any 2021 goodwill with the offseason fire sale and Phil insulting the fanbase on home opening day.

One last attendance note: Aside from the home opener, the Reds have now played 6 weekday/weeknight games in 2022, all against decent or good teams (1 vs CLE, 3 vs SD, 2 vs MIL) and have yet to reach an announced attendance of 11,000 in any of those games. That is really, really poor and essentially means that aside from season ticket sales, hardly anybody is going to these weeknight games on a discretionary basis. And of course the actual bodies in the stadium are far less, generally in the 5K to 8K range most of these nights, I’d estimate. And maybe 3K in the building for that CLE day game.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
I'm not really sure why anyone is worried about attendance? It's pretty much irrelevant anymore. Teams make money many different ways other than ticket sales. This just gives many Reds fans who don't get to sit in good seats an opportunity to do so.

I'm not really sure why anyone is worried about attendance? It's pretty much irrelevant anymore. Teams make money many different ways other than ticket sales. This just gives many Reds fans who don't get to sit in good seats an opportunity to do so.
It’s not about money; it’s about the embarrassment of a major league team playing a multitude of games in an empty stadium.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Crazy day at GABP. The Reds take the series vs. the first place Brewers, 14-11. Yes, a softball score. Scored 7 in the first two innings, 6 in the 8th and then had to hold on as the Brewers scored 6 in the 9th to make things uncomfortable. Don't look now, but these band of misfits are starting to hit the ball some.
On to Pittsburgh, then Cleveland, then Toronto.

If I had a nickel every time Bell said a guy was a few days away.... that's not a reputable source. The sad part is there are reporters, Charlie Goldsmith, Mark Sheldon and CTrent Rosecrans who covers the Reds daily and it's crickets. This isn't Jake Fraley. Someone with Votto's stature and popularity, there needs to be updates at least every few days. There was a brief statement this morning where Bell said Votto feels he may need a rehab assignment, may miss NEXT weekend's trip to Toronto???? Can you not test positive for Covid and miss 3 weeks?? Seriously??
Remember last year when a slumping Votto hurt his thumb, went through rehab, and came back as a pretty good power hitter? My thought right away is Votto may use this opportunity to try and repeat last year. Get himself down to AAA level and work on things, then hope to emerge again the same way as last year. Players are a superstitious group, and Joey may believe what worked once may work again.

None of us care about the Castellini crew making money, except you. When I tune in I see GABP 90% empty, and yet the article I read said attendance was 15% up over 2019. I was merely sharing that fact.

As with AEW, I find it embarrassing to see your team playing for a bunch of red empty chairs. Sad.

Remember last year when a slumping Votto hurt his thumb, went through rehab, and came back as a pretty good power hitter? My thought right away is Votto may use this opportunity to try and repeat last year. Get himself down to AAA level and work on things, then hope to emerge again the same way as last year. Players are a superstitious group, and Joey may believe what worked once may work again.
Much of the time Joey is his own worst enemy. He's been a notorious slow starter, so I wasn't surprised that much, but it would had been great for him to come out better this year. We've seen pretty much every type of hitter in his career, what else is there for him to go to? The thing I noticed early on is his strikeouts are way up, and swinging strikes. He's missing or fouling off alot of good pitches. I hope he can work himself through this. There still isn't anyone else I want in the batter's box in a key situation than Votto.

None of us care about the Castellini crew making money, except you. When I tune in I see GABP 90% empty, and yet the article I read said attendance was 15% up over 2019. I was merely sharing that fact.

As with AEW, I find it embarrassing to see your team playing for a bunch of red empty chairs. Sad.
If WLW didn't interview the Castellini's before the season, I wouldn't know who even owns the team because I don't care. The Reds make money because it's a major league baseball team, and one of the long standing teams. Just because the Reds make a certain amount of money doesn't mean to me that the current players are "entitled" to it. So many today think that the current employees are responsible for decades of smart business decisions. MLB players should thank their lucky stars that there are very smart people with these clubs who know how to sell the game either by TV rights, licensing, streaming and the dozens other ways they make money, because the players are the best off of ALL TIME. Players just 2-3 generations ago had to get jobs in the off season to make ends meet. Many good baseball players didn't even pursue pro baseball because they had other more lucrative options.

Kind of glad to say this, but and it's a very small sample, but Mike Moustakas "looks" really good the last few weeks. IF we can have this Moustaks, I can live with that. Now we need to get the old Joey back.

Since Tommy Pham's 0-23 start, he's hitting .301, OBP .402. He's a professional baseball player. I know he's expensive, but he's been here before.

If WLW didn't interview the Castellini's before the season, I wouldn't know who even owns the team because I don't care.
This is simply not true. All of us on this thread, including you, have talked about the Castellini ownership for years. We actually praised them in 2020 for the roster additions and spending they did.

Just because the Reds make a certain amount of money doesn't mean to me that the current players are "entitled" to it. So many today think that the current employees are responsible for decades of smart business decisions.
I don't think any player is entitled to anything. The MLB owners have set the market prices. Some of them overpaid for certain players, but that is irrelevant. The going rate for a top hitter or pitcher is what it is because owners have been willing to pay it.

When cheap owners are unwilling to meet the market prices, fans of their team have a right to be unhappy.
When dumb GMs spend money unwisely, fans of their team have a right to be unhappy.
Has nothing to do with thinking the players are entitled.

Players just 2-3 generations ago had to get jobs in the off season to make ends meet. Many good baseball players didn't even pursue pro baseball because they had other more lucrative options.
Irrelevant. But you really are "get off my lawn" guy.

This is simply not true. All of us on this thread, including you, have talked about the Castellini ownership for years. We actually praised them in 2020 for the roster additions and spending they did.

I don't think any player is entitled to anything. The MLB owners have set the market prices. Some of them overpaid for certain players, but that is irrelevant. The going rate for a top hitter or pitcher is what it is because owners have been willing to pay it.

When cheap owners are unwilling to meet the market prices, fans of their team have a right to be unhappy.
When dumb GMs spend money unwisely, fans of their team have a right to be unhappy.
Has nothing to do with thinking the players are entitled.

Irrelevant. But you really are "get off my lawn" guy.
So basically you can choose to be unhappy. Good luck with that. I'll root for my team, my players. I could care less who the owner/ GM is, they don't play the game.

Comparing baseball salaries of the past to today certainly is relevant. All I want to see is just a little gratitude from players that they make generational money for playing a game.

So basically you can choose to be unhappy. Good luck with that. I'll root for my team, my players. I could care less who the owner/ GM is, they don't play the game.

Comparing baseball salaries of the past to today certainly is relevant. All I want to see is just a little gratitude from players that they make generational money for playing a game.
Oh I'm still rooting for the Reds to win. Just not spending money to see them and rarely tuning in for a few innings.

If you are happy with the current management of the team, so be it. I'm not. I think most Reds fans are in my camp. Cheap ownership and inept GM spending decisions is not a good combo.

Crazy day at GABP. The Reds take the series vs. the first place Brewers, 14-11. Yes, a softball score. Scored 7 in the first two innings, 6 in the 8th and then had to hold on as the Brewers scored 6 in the 9th to make things uncomfortable. Don't look now, but these band of misfits are starting to hit the ball some.
On to Pittsburgh, then Cleveland, then Toronto.

What is the REDS record this season with Votto in the lineup?
What is their record with Votto not playing?

What is the REDS record this season with Votto in the lineup?
What is their record with Votto not playing?
Well, they are 5-2 in their last seven games, all without Joey . Not sure of how many of first 25 (3-22) games he was around for, but that was a .120 win percentage compare that to a to just over a .700 win percentage the last 7 games. If the Reds could keep this pace up from now to the end of the season winning 5 of every 7, they would end the season with 103 wins and 59 losses, not bad for a season that started so poorly.

Something tells me they may cool off a bit from this pace?

Well, they are 5-2 in their last seven games, all without Joey . Not sure of how many of first 25 (3-22) games he was around for, but that was a .120 win percentage compare that to a to just over a .700 win percentage the last 7 games. If the Reds could keep this pace up from now to the end of the season winning 5 of every 7, they would end the season with 103 wins and 59 losses, not bad for a season that started so poorly.

Something tells me they may cool off a bit from this pace?
Playing the Pirates and Brewers. And yes, they are going to cool off, they were not as bad as the first 25 games showed, and they aren't as good as they've played the last week. That's why it's hard to compare the seasons equally among teams.

Curious as to who (Krall? Bell?) thought that Gutierrez and Sanmartin were better choices for the rotation than Overton. Kid knows how to pitch.

Curious as to who (Krall? Bell?) thought that Gutierrez and Sanmartin were better choices for the rotation than Overton. Kid knows how to pitch.
Absolutely nothing against Overton, but he's pitched against Colorado, and Pittsburgh twice. Sanmartin pitched against the Braves, Dodgers, Padres twice and Colorado. Let's see how the next few stars go. Vlad Gutierrez pitched well enough last season you had to give him a good look this year. But yes, the opportunity is ripe for a young guy to get in there and make it difficult to take him out.

I liked Votto better when he crouched down choked up on the bat and put the ball into play. Just will not be hitting clean up doing that.