The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

As i said a couple of days ago I like all of the starters to stay. 10mil is not alot for what he brings to the team. He's also a bulldog on the mound and a good influence on the younger guys, showing them you don't have to try to overpower hitters If Mahle could get more pitch efficient he could stay in games longer. The Reds staying in the playoff probably hurt Greene's chances of getting some big league time this Sept.
I think at least two of the starters are gone, and I think Miley may be one of them. We've fallen in love with him this season and all he brings to the table, but to me it sets up where we pay him $10 mill next season, and he hits the wall. He's alot like Tom Browning in that pitchers like that have to be 100% sharp or it's not going to go well. I just feel the Reds are going to have some difficult financial decisions to make during the off season. And I"m perfectly fine with holding Greene off until 2022. He's our future ace, no need to rush him.

I think at least two of the starters are gone, and I think Miley may be one of them. We've fallen in love with him this season and all he brings to the table, but to me it sets up where we pay him $10 mill next season, and he hits the wall. He's alot like Tom Browning in that pitchers like that have to be 100% sharp or it's not going to go well. I just feel the Reds are going to have some difficult financial decisions to make during the off season. And I"m perfectly fine with holding Greene off until 2022. He's our future ace, no need to rush him.
Hopefully Greene is our future ace, lots of potential there. Struggled some in AAA after dominating AA. AAA ERA is 4.26 and way too many walks. As Dusty Baker always said, "the game changes for some guys when they add the extra levels on the stadium." I would like to see them bring up Greene now and DFA Brach. Let him pitch a few innings in relief with the big crowds, just to get a taste. He would have to be better than Brach, so it could help the playoff chase, as well as help Greene.

Huge weekend series - this goes a long way to determining the Reds fate. Mahle vs Lester, Castillo vs. Mikolas, Gray vs. Happ.

I like all 3 matchups in the Reds favor, but obviously the bats need to show up. Gotta have 2 out of 3 to get some momentum back and keep the Cards on the ropes.

Hopefully Greene is our future ace, lots of potential there. Struggled some in AAA after dominating AA. AAA ERA is 4.26 and way too many walks. As Dusty Baker always said, "the game changes for some guys when they add the extra levels on the stadium." I would like to see them bring up Greene now and DFA Brach. Let him pitch a few innings in relief with the big crowds, just to get a taste. He would have to be better than Brach, so it could help the playoff chase, as well as help Greene.
I would be all for that too, but the way they micromanage these guys today, I don't see Greene ever doing anything than being a starter, at the start of games until he proves he can't. The Reds don't have a great track record in drafting and developing pitching, which is why we've had to overpay for pitching in the past. I'm not concerned with the walks at this standpoint because he strikes out so many. It's the Nolan Ryan effect. My guess is the ERA is inflated because he just flat out challenges every hitter and hasn't learned pinpoint control as of yet.
Also, the service "clock" is a new issue to deal with and the club wants to control Greene for as long as possible. Not that I agree, but I feel next season, you'll see a very managed Greene being in the rotation, and maybe not even starting the season because of the cold weather. That could be another hurdle for him, at this point, he's a California kid, and we don't know if he can pitch in 40 degree weather. I can see the Reds having a hard pitch count on him next season - 5 innings/ 80 pitches - and limited starts, I'd guess he'll be in the 120 inning limit next season. He's thrown 102 innings this season, 20 starts. Any Reds fans that think he's starting 35 games next season and push 200 innings are in a dream world. They just don't do it that way anymore.
And off the subject just a hair, but I don't understand the attacks on Brad Brach the last few days.

Huge weekend series - this goes a long way to determining the Reds fate. Mahle vs Lester, Castillo vs. Mikolas, Gray vs. Happ.

I like all 3 matchups in the Reds favor, but obviously the bats need to show up. Gotta have 2 out of 3 to get some momentum back and keep the Cards on the ropes.
This is such a pivotal weekend, the Padres are playing the Dodgers. David Bell needs to manage these like playoff games. No need to worry about tomorrow if you don't win today.

In off the field news, today is Joey Votto's 38th birthday. If nothing else comes of this season, we at least now have a glimmer of hope that Joey can fulfill his contract which goes through at least two more seasons, with a club option for 2024. All of us feared what would happen with him moving forward. His renewed approach I think at least makes it viable for him to be our everyday first baseman through the 2023 season.

He will go down as one of the greatest Reds ever.

And off the subject just a hair, but I don't understand the attacks on Brad Brach the last few days.
really?
- Could be that he faced 2 batters in the 10th last game and gave up a hit and a 3 run HR for the Loss.
- Could be his 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP this year.
- Could be because his ERA in August was 45.00 and ERA in September is 27.00

I thought you were paying attention? Dude is flat terrible.

really?
- Could be that he faced 2 batters in the 10th last game and gave up a hit and a 3 run HR for the Loss.
- Could be his 6.30 ERA and 1.60 WHIP this year.
- Could be because his ERA in August was 45.00 and ERA in September is 27.00

I thought you were paying attention? Dude is flat terrible.
I do pay attention- at least most of the time. I guess my point was more that Bell was getting out of options at that point in the game, and some of that self served because we continue to insist that pitchers only pitch one inning. From about mid June to early August, Brach gave us some great performances. If you recall, Tejay Antone went down about mid June and it was doom and gloom as Lorenzen wasn't back yet. Brach really became one of the most utilized pieces in the bullpen. He had 4 holds and a save in June, and 5 holds, a win, a loss and two blown saves in July when he simply was on fumes by early August.
Now a guy trending the wrong way but one we are hanging our hat on is Lorenzen. Well, he's not exactly fooled alot of people the last few outings. He's given up 3 runs in his last two outings, and 7 runs over his last 5 outings.

This is probably something I'll write more about during the off season. I think many Reds fans are going to jump on the "fix the bullpen" bandwagon during the offseason and it's simply not that easy. First of all, most teams go on the cheap with the bullpen. It's just the way to put baseball teams together. Starting pitchers get paid, relief pitchers do not. If you get a really really good one, then yes, you pay them but the Reds have not had that guy since Chapman. So my guess is we'll go into next season with a questionable bullpen and hope and pray they work out. You can't go spend a collective $20-$30 mill in bullpen arms. Now IF Michael Lorenzen Is healthy, and can be that back end of the bullpen guy that we think he can, I'm ok with paying him. But alot of our guys, he's not proven to me that he can be relied upon and entire season.

I do pay attention- at least most of the time. I guess my point was more that Bell was getting out of options at that point in the game, and some of that self served because we continue to insist that pitchers only pitch one inning. From about mid June to early August, Brach gave us some great performances. If you recall, Tejay Antone went down about mid June and it was doom and gloom as Lorenzen wasn't back yet. Brach really became one of the most utilized pieces in the bullpen. He had 4 holds and a save in June, and 5 holds, a win, a loss and two blown saves in July when he simply was on fumes by early August.
Now a guy trending the wrong way but one we are hanging our hat on is Lorenzen. Well, he's not exactly fooled alot of people the last few outings. He's given up 3 runs in his last two outings, and 7 runs over his last 5 outings.

This is probably something I'll write more about during the off season. I think many Reds fans are going to jump on the "fix the bullpen" bandwagon during the offseason and it's simply not that easy. First of all, most teams go on the cheap with the bullpen. It's just the way to put baseball teams together. Starting pitchers get paid, relief pitchers do not. If you get a really really good one, then yes, you pay them but the Reds have not had that guy since Chapman. So my guess is we'll go into next season with a questionable bullpen and hope and pray they work out. You can't go spend a collective $20-$30 mill in bullpen arms. Now IF Michael Lorenzen Is healthy, and can be that back end of the bullpen guy that we think he can, I'm ok with paying him. But alot of our guys, he's not proven to me that he can be relied upon and entire season.
You asked why people were ragging on Brach. I explained it. What he did during a couple good weeks in June has nothing to do with this playoff chase. He has been mostly terrible and should not pitch again unless the Reds are hopelessly behind in a game...

Huge W last night, and the Padres and Phils also went down. Great night for the pitching staff (again) and we scored just enough. Big hit for the kid Barrero.

For those not paying attention: Suarez has only started 4 games in September, and he has 3 HR. Reds are 3-1 when he starts, 1-4 when he sits. Should he play more down the stretch?

Huge W last night, and the Padres and Phils also went down. Great night for the pitching staff (again) and we scored just enough. Big hit for the kid Barrero.

For those not paying attention: Suarez has only started 4 games in September, and he has 3 HR. Reds are 3-1 when he starts, 1-4 when he sits. Should he play more down the stretch?
Of course he should. He is their best option at 3B even if he isn't a good option.

So you praise the two Mexicans and dog the white guy, are you filled with white rage?

If the Reds do get a playoff game, who would you pitch against the Dodgers and probably Scherzinger? I pick Castillo as he is the only guy with the stuff to shut that lineup down.

If the Reds do get a playoff game, who would you pitch against the Dodgers and probably Scherzinger? I pick Castillo as he is the only guy with the stuff to shut that lineup down.
Mahle has been great on the road...but realistically it depends on who is fresh for that game.

I realize you mean Max Scherzer, and whether they use him, Kershaw, Urias or Buehler it would be a tough night for our offense. I agree with you that Castillo has the best stuff, but I still don't trust the guy's mental makeup. Gave him a 4 run lead last night and he dd not hold it. He's just too laid back.

I would lean toward Mahle or Gray. Mahle has been historically great on the road this year. On the broadcast they said Friday was his 23rd straight appearance (2 innings plus) on the road giving up 3 or fewer earned runs. 3rd all time behind Bob Gibson and another all timer that I forget now. Gray is a battler and has pitched well lately - mentally tough.

As Indiandad says, it depends on who is up - as it sits the Reds will need every regular season game to get in. No cushion to fix the roatation. If the Reds get in I hope the rotation breaks so that it is Gray, Mahle or Castillo.

How would anyone expect to beat a team you are in the race with when you 5-8 hitters have .232 as your highest BA? The others in the 100s. Complete joke. I’m sure they hit the ball hard but cmon? Sonny gray has a better avg than two of them. Is this a joke or is Bell showing up the ownership?

How would anyone expect to beat a team you are in the race with when you 5-8 hitters have .232 as your highest BA? The others in the 100s. Complete joke. I’m sure they hit the ball hard but cmon? Sonny gray has a better avg than two of them. Is this a joke or is Bell showing up the ownership?
Who would you be using today?

Really? DeShields and Cabrera were realeased in the past month. Aquino is a triple A guy at best. Really? Anyone

Padres.... why focused on them.... The Curds are the ones I am worried about.
Actually I said the Cards are the problem two weeks ago. Does not matter, even if they were to get to the wild card game who the heck are they beating? Aquino, Deshields and Carbrera? Once again I'm giving Geno a pass as well, he hits hard outs.

Saurez-.176 plenty of hard hit balls. Cabrera-.231-triple crown winner, Aquino-.188, great month in Sept. 2019, might have been August, 1st base coach little son, also .176.
Those are your 5-8 hitters today. Bell quickly replaced the hardest hitting out man with another stud in Mostakous. Heck I can't spell his name, just know he's overpaid.
So how do you win with half of a lineup? I was asked who do you plaY? No idea, Lorenzen in the lineup? Just a joke but wondering?

Actually I said the Cards are the problem two weeks ago. Does not matter, even if they were to get to the wild card game who the heck are they beating? Aquino, Deshields and Carbrera? Once again I'm giving Geno a pass as well, he hits hard outs.

The whole wildcard thing is a bunch of BS to begin with. Baseball is unique as any team can win one game against another. The point of playing 162 games is to separate the best of the bunch for post season series play. Taking the 4th and 5th team after 162 games played and saying 1 more game needs to be played to determine who the 4th playoff team will be is just plain stupid. We are going to likely have a team over 40 games above .500 playing against a team that maybe will be 10 over. Just not right. If MLB wants 5 teams in then play a best of 5 series otherwise do without it.

The whole wildcard thing is a bunch of BS to begin with. Baseball is unique as any team can win one game against another. The point of playing 162 games is to separate the best of the bunch for post season series play. Taking the 4th and 5th team after 162 games played and saying 1 more game needs to be played to determine who the 4th playoff team will be is just plain stupid. We are going to likely have a team over 40 games above .500 playing against a team that maybe will be 10 over. Just not right. If MLB wants 5 teams in then play a best of 5 series otherwise do without it.
Totally agreed. It is simply a money grab. The 5th spot keeps lots of cities investing in their team through the end of Sept. - Cincy, San Diego, Philly, St. Louis, New York, Boston, Toronto, Oakland, Seattle all still "in the hunt".

Reward the fans with at least a best of 3 series. But MLB never thinks about the fans.

Agreed. The biggest problem last year with Bell was that he was so hung up on righty/lefty matchups - that is why I dubbed him "ding-a-ling Bell" in the first place.

He was much better this year - until Sept. Now if it is a lefty pitcher, he plays DeShields, Aquino, Suarez, Stephenson. Against a righty, he plays Moose, Naquin, Schrock and Barny. As a result, he isn't playing his best 8 on most days, and he also ties his own hands in terms of pinch hitters. When his starters all bat right, his entire bench is lefty, and vice versa. Zero flexibility. Just stupid.

As a result guys who were hitting well are now out of rhythm. Naquin should have been playing every day. It is hard to make a case for the other guys in the platoon, but this is the reason that the offense has turned to sh__ the last few weeks. Pick your best 8 and play them daily. Reds are lucky to still be in it.