The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Everyone was ready to crucify / trade Castillo after his terrible start. 10 starts in June and July he has allowed a total of 12 earned runs. Brilliant - ERA 1.71. Yet he only has 3 wins in those 10 starts because either the pen blows it or the bats take the night off. Pen tried to blow it last night. He certainly deserves better than a 4-10 record.

Everyone was ready to crucify / trade Castillo after his terrible start. 10 starts in June and July he has allowed a total of 12 earned runs. Brilliant - ERA 1.71. Yet he only has 3 wins in those 10 starts because either the pen blows it or the bats take the night off. Pen tried to blow it last night. He certainly deserves better than a 4-10 record.
Why does he deserve it? Your record is your record and he was awful early in the season. Games in April count the same as games in July dipshyte

Why does he deserve it? Your record is your record and he was awful early in the season. Games in April count the same as games in July dipshyte
The thing about won loss records is you control your losses. It is pinned on you when you are responsible for more runs than your offense scores. Wins are a bit different because you might not be on the mound when your offense scores the go ahead runs.

Castillo is certainly responsible for 10 losses.

The thing about won loss records is you control your losses. It is pinned on you when you are responsible for more runs than your offense scores. Wins are a bit different because you might not be on the mound when your offense scores the go ahead runs.

Castillo is certainly responsible for 10 losses.
Never said the April/May games did not count and he certainly deserved those losses.

Here is what I said. When you have 10 starts in a row and only give up 12 earned runs total, you certainly expect more than 3 wins. I said it in plain English, and it is not hard to understand. For most people.

Never said the April/May games did not count and he certainly deserved those losses.

Here is what I said. When you have 10 starts in a row and only give up 12 earned runs total, you certainly expect more than 3 wins. I said it in plain English, and it is not hard to understand.
No dipshyte, you said he “deserves” a better record

Moron - if he got 6 wins is those 10 starts, as one could reasonably expect, his record would be 7-10. Is that better than 4-10?
If a chicken could pucker its bill it could whistle. He could of lost all of his four wins and be 0-14 just as easy dipshyte

I think most of us who follow baseball knew he'd get things around as long as there wasn't a injury. The velo was there, just was struggling getting his locations down. And you're 100% correct, Luis deserves a much better record, and we've heard extensively how misleading records can be. However, I will say that IF you can go 7-8 innings per start, you have MORE control of that start. A 5-6 inning start where you're relying on the bullpen to cover 3-4 innings, you open the door for more problems. Castillo is definitely on a roll right now.

The curious thing about Castillo is he's been traditionally a slow starter. Some have thought that because he's Latin and pitching in cold weather may be an issue. Or may it simply be that he's just not fully prepared for the season to start and uses his first few starts to "get ready" for the season?

If a chicken could pucker its bill it could whistle. He could of lost all of his four wins and be 0-14 just as easy dipshyte
If a guy has 10 awful starts and 10 great starts, it is reasonable to think he might be around .500. ?‍♂️ If you want to argue about that, cool, go ahead and be dumb. It's expected.

If a guy has 10 awful starts and 10 great starts, it is reasonable to think he might be around .500. ?‍♂️ If you want to argue about that, cool, go ahead and be dumb. It's expected.
I’m not the one who said he deserved to have a better record which is an idiotic statement ?

miley not great but bullpen blows again. no surprise. plus, all of the sudden we don't hit with runners in scoring position.

im sure it's blotto, the mexican, the half breed and the black guys fault.

jtk
()

I’m not the one who said he deserved to have a better record which is an idiotic statement
miley not great but bullpen blows again. no surprise. plus, all of the sudden we don't hit with runners in scoring position.

im sure it's blotto, the mexican, the half breed and the black guys fault.

jtk
()
and you would be correct, burrito boy left like 12 runners on base last night. Why, in the name of Zeus’ bunghole was he batting fifth? Garrett throws all of one pitch

Not much on here today from last night's game, which is not good. Apathy is worse that negativity. Apathy means you don't care anymore. Last night was incredibly difficult because even though Miley wasn't himself, the Reds still did have control of the game, and had numerous chances to put it away. But look, we've seen this act all season. This team can put up some runs, but they also struggle at times putting games away, and as we know, this bullpen is what it is.

Now, the big talking point is the Garrett/ Baez deal at the end. And look, many of you know I've bashed Amir as much as anyone on here. But I tip my cap to him for holding some restraint and not starting a brawl with Baez. Garrett certainly started some things with the Cubs in the past. I'll also say Baez will likely get a lengthy suspension. This was way, way over the top in even baseball's new world. Baez was chirping at Garrett before the at bat, and continued all the way to first base, including carrying his bat and throwing it in Garrett's direction. To me, this is not what baseball wants at all. This is direct confrontation of another player, not celebrating with your teammates.

What is there to say? Same story - offense missed on a large number of scoring opportunities and the pen blew a late lead. Seen it far too often...

What is there to say? Same story - offense missed on a large number of scoring opportunities and the pen blew a late lead. Seen it far too often...
It's been kind of a broke record. Bell went for it in the 5th, used alot of his bench and I think it bit him later in the game. But if the Reds blow it open then, no one says a word. I do think as Reds fans we get a little tunnel vision with this team. There are ALOT of mediocre baseball teams out there, with the same bullpen problems. I see so much negativity about our bullpen and the ownership not spending. I honestly don't know if spending money is the answer. So would you rather have expensive bullpen guys blowing games, or inexpensive ones? Our highest paid bullpen guys have been the least reliable.
In today's baseball you pay in order..
  • starting pitching
  • position players/ power guys
  • bullpen
Analytics says that it's more important to change pitchers than to coach guys how to pitch. The Reds, through injury and ineffectiveness, have run out arm after arm after arm. Some have some success, in small doses, and struggles.

Analytics says that it's more important to change pitchers than to coach guys how to pitch. The Reds, through injury and ineffectiveness, have run out arm after arm after arm. Some have some success, in small doses, and struggles.
Well, the success has been in very small doses. Basically for about 4 weeks the pen was decent, mid/late June and early July.

- Garrett - 42 appearances - 6.75 ERA - 1.60 WHIP
- Doolittle - 39 appearances - 4.32 ERA - 1.56 WHIP
- Hembree - 37 appearances - 4.50 ERA - 1.00 WHIP
- Hendrix - 35 appearances - 5.87 ERA - 1.50 WHIP
- Brach - 30 appearances - 4.33 ERA - 1.41 WHIP
- Sims - 28 appearances - 5.02 ERA - 1.33 WHIP
- Perez - 23 appearances - 6.95 ERA - 1.86 WHIP

The only decent numbers from the pen are Tejay Antone's, and he is 8th in appearances due to injury. Hembree's WHIP is good. All other numbers are straight trash.

Well, the success has been in very small doses. Basically for about 4 weeks the pen was decent, mid/late June and early July.

- Garrett - 42 appearances - 6.75 ERA - 1.60 WHIP
- Doolittle - 39 appearances - 4.32 ERA - 1.56 WHIP
- Hembree - 37 appearances - 4.50 ERA - 1.00 WHIP
- Hendrix - 35 appearances - 5.87 ERA - 1.50 WHIP
- Brach - 30 appearances - 4.33 ERA - 1.41 WHIP
- Sims - 28 appearances - 5.02 ERA - 1.33 WHIP
- Perez - 23 appearances - 6.95 ERA - 1.86 WHIP

The only decent numbers from the pen are Tejay Antone's, and he is 8th in appearances due to injury. Hembree's WHIP is good. All other numbers are straight trash.
I think relief pitchers ERA's are really hard to quantify. You give up one run in an outing and your ERA is 9 and it takes several outings to work it down. Now we've seen pretty much every relief pitcher except Cionel Perez have some form of success with this team, and maybe Doolittle. But for the most part, the other guys have moved between mop up status and back end bullpen guys, even if only for a day.

Not much on here today from last night's game, which is not good. Apathy is worse that negativity. Apathy means you don't care anymore. Last night was incredibly difficult because even though Miley wasn't himself, the Reds still did have control of the game, and had numerous chances to put it away. But look, we've seen this act all season.

No, we have seen this act for about 30 years...... nothing changes.... EVER.