The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I concur.

That game Thursday night felt like a season-maker. Did you see the clips of the Reds dugout when Stephenson knocked in the tying run, and then India hit the HR for the 4-2 lead? The team was so fired up. To then send a rookie pitcher with a 5+ ERA (Hendrix) out there to face Machado, Myers and Hosmer is insane. That is totally on Ding-a-Ling Bell.

If Sims could have pitched and gotten those outs, the Reds would still be riding that momentum. Instead the team goes flatter than a pancake, barely scores the rest of the weekend. Sims got 4 straight days off to rest since we lost them all.

Anyway you slice it, Reds are 13-7 the last 20, even with that 4 game sweep. The next stretch is an opportunity, with only the Padres being really tough:
- Twins (2)
- Braves (4)
- Phillies (1)
- Padres (3)
Let's go 7-3 in this stretch, and see where we stand as the Cubs come to town for July 4 weekend.
What are you batting in the order?

Pronouns in bio Doolittle failing spectacularly is somewhat pleasurable. Maybe he can retire and spend his days on Twitter lecturing everyone.

I don't understand the mentality of people who root for a team, get upset when their team loses, but openly root for certain individuals on the team to fail. Seems like a form of mental illness or a disability. Maybe get some help.

Suarez update for you geniuses that want the Reds to bench / trade him.

Reds have played 71 games (43.8% of the schedule). Suarez has 15 HR (2nd behind Winker) and 42 RBI (1 less than Winker and Naquin). That means he is on pace for 34 HR and 95 RBI. Do I wish he had a higher batting average? Sure. But he is very productive.

Geno had a good game last night and is starting to come around. The Reds are approaching the mid point of the season, so there is still lots of time and he's on pace for some pretty good numbers.
He's going to play, he's not likely going to get traded. So either fans need to embrace him or I guess root against a player on your team, which is odd.

The other thing that fans seem to get hung up on is the day to day winning or losing, and I get that. But this Reds team, at least from what I can gather, is a really good bunch of guys. I'd guess most of you heard of the little girl at the Reds/ Padres game Saturday, Votto is her favorite player and he of course got kicked out of the game and her mom shared it on Twitter. The Reds staff was on it, got Votto to sign a ball for her and actually went a step further and invited her family back for Sunday's game.

Now this isn't wins or losses, but you can certainly root for an organization who does the right thing and seems to have guys who are just regular people. There are things bigger than the game itself.

Suarez seems to be a really good guy. He does radio commercials for WLW, and I"m sure it's a little sensitive for him to speak English like that. I think it's great that he puts himself out there.

It'll be interesting to see how this team bounces back after a few blown games they were in the driver seat for. These last few weeks before the ASG will be huge.

It'll be interesting to see how this team bounces back after a few blown games they were in the driver seat for. These last few weeks before the ASG will be huge.
This team goes on small winning and losing streaks, the Padre series really show the effect of losing Antone. We held on for a bit vs. Milwaukee, but San Diego can hit, and we just didn't have enough to finish those games. Largely, the last few weeks, the bullpen has over performed, not under performed. We just know that when you constantly have to go to the pen 4-5 innings a night, it's going to have an effect. Then last night's extra inning game didn't help.
But, as I've said before, this teams problem is alot more hitting than people want to say. Hitting if ok, but SCORING is the problem. I've always said you have to score 5-6 runs per game to win. scoring 4 or below, with our bullpen is a recipe for disaster. And we do nothing to try to manufacture any runs. It's all station to station. We've had poor baserunning again today.

This team goes on small winning and losing streaks, the Padre series really show the effect of losing Antone. We held on for a bit vs. Milwaukee, but San Diego can hit, and we just didn't have enough to finish those games. Largely, the last few weeks, the bullpen has over performed, not under performed. We just know that when you constantly have to go to the pen 4-5 innings a night, it's going to have an effect. Then last night's extra inning game didn't help.
But, as I've said before, this teams problem is alot more hitting than people want to say. Hitting if ok, but SCORING is the problem. I've always said you have to score 5-6 runs per game to win. scoring 4 or below, with our bullpen is a recipe for disaster. And we do nothing to try to manufacture any runs. It's all station to station. We've had poor baserunning again today.
To be clear, the Reds are 6th in the MLB in runs scored, with 4.93 runs per game. That is good. The problem is that we get 12 runs one game, then 3, then 0. That is a nice average (5 per game), but not what we need. Thus the streaky nature of this team.

To be clear, the Reds are 6th in the MLB in runs scored, with 4.93 runs per game. That is good. The problem is that we get 12 runs one game, then 3, then 0. That is a nice average (5 per game), but not what we need. Thus the streaky nature of this team.
That's a great point. And we are like alot of other teams, when we get down 3-4 runs, then it's the bottom side of the bullpen guys and we rack up runs on them.

And I think that stat there, the runs scored, can be misleading. Most Reds fans think the offense is fine, and losing is always the fault of pitching. Well our pitching hasn't been awful lately. Other than the 8-2 game in SD, we had a chance to win all of those games.

I would still like to see this team try to create more offense. We virtually never hit and run. I think now, more than ever, you can start runners in certain counts with certain hitters and it would create offense. While we don't have a lot of team speed, a typical major leaguer should be able, with a good jump, to steal a base with an off speed pitch or something in the dirt. Plus some catchers just don't throw well.

How do you suppose the bullpen will be used today? Reds used every relief pitcher available last night. and we're looking at possibly 2+ innings today.
Thank goodness for Miley today.

Reds have played 71 games (43.8% of the schedule). Suarez has 15 HR (2nd behind Winker) and 42 RBI (1 less than Winker and Naquin). That means he is on pace for 34 HR and 95 RBI. Do I wish he had a higher batting average? Sure. But he is very productive.
You're right, I think he is right in the thick of the MVP voting

You're right, I think he is right in the thick of the MVP voting
No one said that. But some idiots did say to just bench / release him. Good call, bench the 34 HR / 95 RBI guy. So dumb.

Good call, bench the guy who has the most home runs in the entire MLB since 2018. Yep, Suarez is #1, N. Cruz second, Trout 3rd, Arenado, Freeman just behind. So dumb.

No one said that. But some idiots did say to just bench / release him. Good call, bench the 34 HR / 95 RBI guy. So dumb.

Good call, bench the guy who has the most home runs in the entire MLB since 2018. Yep, Suarez is #1, N. Cruz second, Trout 3rd, Arenado, Freeman just behind. So dumb.
You love you some stats ?

And some fans have no idea. These guys get paid, weather they play or not. When you have a guy who's making significant money, he's going to play unless there is an injury. As I've always said, it's easy spending other people money. Reds ownership is not going to eat the rest of a big contract to let a guy go play of for someone else or sit on the bench. It's just not reality. And by seasons end, Suarez will probably have good numbers.

And some fans have no idea. These guys get paid, weather they play or not. When you have a guy who's making significant money, he's going to play unless there is an injury. As I've always said, it's easy spending other people money. Reds ownership is not going to eat the rest of a big contract to let a guy go play of for someone else or sit on the bench. It's just not reality. And by seasons end, Suarez will probably have good numbers.
That might be true in some cases but certainly not all. Need a example? Brandon Philips comes to mind.

The Reds paid
That might be true in some cases but certainly not all. Need a example? Brandon Philips comes to mind.
$12M to play for the Nats.

As a fan, I'm glad the Reds are only 4.5 back after how they finished the road trip. As an objective baseball person, it makes me nervous that if they are in this position at the All-Star break, ownership will do exactly the worst thing they can do and straddle the fence at the trade deadline.

Who cares? He can’t get a hit when they need him to get one. He’s like Adam Dunn, yeah he hit 40 HRs, but 25 of them were solo HRs in blowouts. You can’t have a sub .200 position player in your every day lineup.

As a fan, I'm glad the Reds are only 4.5 back after how they finished the road trip. As an objective baseball person, it makes me nervous that if they are in this position at the All-Star break, ownership will do exactly the worst thing they can do and straddle the fence at the trade deadline.
It seems the Reds have difficulty making decisions every trade deadline no matter what position the team's in.

I think you have to bench him, move Moustakas to 3rd and keep Farmer at SS. I know there’s no benefit in outright releasing him, but he’s been awful all year and won’t be getting better.

Who cares? He can’t get a hit when they need him to get one. He’s like Adam Dunn, yeah he hit 40 HRs, but 25 of them were solo HRs in blowouts. You can’t have a sub .200 position player in your every day lineup.
I think you have to bench him, move Moustakas to 3rd and keep Farmer at SS. I know there’s no benefit in outright releasing him, but he’s been awful all year and won’t be getting better.

So it is your opinion that the guy who is 3rd on the team in RBIs, who is now on pace for 96 RBI, can't get a key hit? And he should be benched for a guy currently wearing a boot on his injured foot? :ROFLMAO:

Pretty sure that is a losing argument - but we can agree to disagree.

So it is your opinion that the guy who is 3rd on the team in RBIs, who is now on pace for 96 RBI, can't get a key hit? And he should be benched for a guy currently wearing a boot on his injured foot? :ROFLMAO:

Pretty sure that is a losing argument - but we can agree to disagree.
When that guy is healthy, yes.

They do, it makes the rebuild take twice as long when they let guys like Castellanos walk for a reciprocal draft pick after not winning with him.
I agree with you guys that the Reds do straddle the fence almost every trade deadline, and it is the wrong approach. Gotta pick a path and walk down it 100% committed.

I hope they are talking to Castellanos (or his agent) right now about that player option. If he is planning to leave, we have to trade him and get assets at the deadline. If he says "prove to me you want to win and I'll stay", hopefully they make a key addition or two at the deadline and convince him to stay. Can the Reds offer a buyout on that player option?