The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I just wanted to make sure you understand. It amazes me that we give credit when the players perform and yet we blame management when players don't perform. It's sports, there are winners and losers. Guys overperform expectorations, and underperform as well.
Last week you told me that fans do not run the team, and that the GM and owner are not playing. Today you say that sports have winners and losers! And that some players over-perform, while others under-perform. No kidding! Thanks Captain Obvious!

Santillan makes sense as a 2-3 inning reliever when Sonny returns. That allows Antone to pitch fewer innings but more outings.
I would trade Gray and Suarez to a contender for bullpen help. Having Moose and Suarez on the same team is stupid, they are both third basemen on this team and Suarez at SS is criminally stupid. Bring up Garcia or Barellas or whatever the hell his last name is, tell him we only need his glove to take pressure off him and have this lineup:
Votto 1B
India 2B
Garcia SS
Moose 3B
Winker LF
Senzel CF
Castelanaos RF

much, much better team defensively

Santillan makes sense as a 2-3 inning reliever when Sonny returns. That allows Antone to pitch fewer innings but more outings.
I agree for Santillan. I do not agree with putting Greene in the pen this summer. I don't want to waste a year of team contract control having him pitch a couple innings a week in relief in the MLB.

Plus it feels too much like what happened with Aroldis and Raisel. Take your best arm / best prospect, who has been a starter his entire life, and turn him into a bullpen pitcher. I value quality starters much higher than quality relievers.

I would trade Gray and Suarez to a contender for bullpen help. Having Moose and Suarez on the same team is stupid, they are both third basemen on this team and Suarez at SS is criminally stupid. Bring up Garcia or Barellas or whatever the hell his last name is, tell him we only need his glove to take pressure off him and have this lineup:
Votto 1B
India 2B
Garcia SS
Moose 3B
Winker LF
Senzel CF
Castelanaos RF

much, much better team defensively
Defense was important in 1970s baseball. Not so much now. We have been over the metrics here a million times. Offensive production is about 5X more important than defense, in terms of how it impacts winning.

Do you realize the players making the most errors this season are:
1. Tatis - Padres
2. Baez - Cubs
3. Urias - Brewers
4. Devers - Boston

Nobody cares, except maybe Milwaukee, because Urias does not produce on offense. Tatis is likely NL MVP. If you want to replace Suarez, and his 36 HR / 86 RBI with better defense, then you do not understand modern baseball or math.

Another wacky MLB scheduled trip for the Reds. Again sending them out to the west coast for just 1 city, like they did earlier this year. Milwaukee, then San Diego, then Minnesota. Crazy. Do SD, LA and SF all in the same trip. It is not rocket science.

Another wacky MLB scheduled trip for the Reds. Again sending them out to the west coast for just 1 city, like they did earlier this year. Milwaukee, then San Diego, then Minnesota. Crazy. Do SD, LA and SF all in the same trip. It is not rocket science.
You could fix pretty much anything if people would just listen ?

Defense was important in 1970s baseball. Not so much now. We have been over the metrics here a million times. Offensive production is about 5X more important than defense, in terms of how it impacts winning.

Do you realize the players making the most errors this season are:
1. Tatis - Padres
2. Baez - Cubs
3. Urias - Brewers
4. Devers - Boston

Nobody cares, except maybe Milwaukee, because Urias does not produce on offense. Tatis is likely NL MVP. If you want to replace Suarez, and his 36 HR / 86 RBI with better defense, then you do not understand modern baseball or math.
So the Mexican is the Reds MVP?

I look for Greene to leave the organization as soon as he can. Not there's issues between the two but he just really seems to enjoy the big city, high dollar lifestyle in his off time. I can see him trying to go home to the West Coast. No need to waste a year when he's going to be on a strict inning limit anyways.

It'd be nice to see a healthy Reds team play together for a few weeks before the trade deadline. Especially if they're in the running to make a few moves to upgrade the team

Reds keep it rolling with a 10-2 victory. Vlad has been the real deal! Votto and Aquino hit 2 run bombs and the bullpen was perfect. The Reds go to 2 games over .500 and gain a game on the Cubs and Brewers as well as put a game between them and the Cards.

Castillo on the mound tonight.

This team is 11-3 recently. What additions via trade would you make? What are you willing to give up to acquire? How much additional payroll is ownership willing to add?

Are they better off adding by promoting minor league talent?

To me it is all about adding to the bullpen. I do not claim to know about the guys in the minors except Lodolo and Greene. I want those 2 to remain in the rotation, and in the minors for now, for reasons I laid out earlier.

I'd be willing to trade some OF depth (Aquino, Shogo, Naquin) or Moustakas (when he is healthy), for bullpen strength. Best targets would be the Indians, Brewers, Rays. All have good pens and could use a bat.

The lineup is rolling now. Moustakas is a dilemma. I fear injecting Moose will mess up our mojo. Moose playing 3b causes Suarez to go back to SS where he clearly is not as comfortable. And I don't want to mess with India, he needs to be the everyday 2b. If we can find an AL contender that needs his bat, and will take his contract, I'd love a bullpen guy for him at this point. I can live with Farmer at SS and batting 8th with the rest of the lineup clicking. If Senzel gets healthy, I would work with him at SS.

Obviously the bullpen needs help. It'll be interesting how they play when guys get healthy. This team really seems to get along and have good chemistry. They have each other's backs and Bell has theirs. When someone has a bad outing the team rally's behind them and moves to the next game.

Let's be honest, teams of years past would've hit the skids this teams had and never gotten out. We'd be using the injuries as an excuse for them to be 8 games under .500. Have a good last six weeks so the season looks respectable even though they were never in true contention. Like this team

I don't think ownership has the money to add payroll which means they will need to shed payroll (Moose or SP) in order to upgrade the pen. They likely have to overpay in prospect talent to move Moose.

I see Greene and Lodolo hitting their prime while this organization is rebuilding so putting Greene in the pen this season is a negative if it stymies his development (which it will). I'm ok with it if this team has legit shot at the playoffs. You can always leave him in AAA next year for a couple months to gain that year back.

Totally agree if they are in contention in August.
That’s how the Dodgers used Kershaw way back during his Rookie year. He was also a full year younger than Greene when he entered the MLB.

Last edited:
Last week you told me that fans do not run the team, and that the GM and owner are not playing. Today you say that sports have winners and losers! And that some players over-perform, while others under-perform. No kidding! Thanks Captain Obvious!
I only bring this up because I think alot of people forget that these are sports, played by really good athletes. Not everyone wins.

I always like they guy that says just work hard and you'll win. Nope. If 30 people are competing and they are all working as hard as they can, there still is one champion.

I look for Greene to leave the organization as soon as he can. Not there's issues between the two but he just really seems to enjoy the big city, high dollar lifestyle in his off time. I can see him trying to go home to the West Coast. No need to waste a year when he's going to be on a strict inning limit anyways.

It'd be nice to see a healthy Reds team play together for a few weeks before the trade deadline. Especially if they're in the running to make a few moves to upgrade the team
Well that's a long time away. Let's make sure he can get big league hitters out before we give him millions of dollars.

Hopefully the Reds are still competitive come the All-Star break, but the front office needs to make a clear decision if they are going to make what they have a deep playoff contender or try and reload. To me, that's fix the glaring hole that is the bullpen or trade Castellanos. His asking price will be too high if he opts out and, unless they choose (if they even can, financially) to double down on this season, it would be a shame to only have a compensatory draft pick to show for him when he walks. With the offensive output this lineup is capable of, the pitching doesn't have to be elite, just better.

Hopefully the Reds are still competitive come the All-Star break, but the front office needs to make a clear decision if they are going to make what they have a deep playoff contender or try and reload. To me, that's fix the glaring hole that is the bullpen or trade Castellanos. His asking price will be too high if he opts out and, unless they choose (if they even can, financially) to double down on this season, it would be a shame to only have a compensatory draft pick to show for him when he walks. With the offensive output this lineup is capable of, the pitching doesn't have to be elite, just better.
The Reds have been really bad at making that decision in the last decade or so which is why they constantly have been rebuilding.

Winker out of the lineup tonight. I really don't understand it. I get players need days off, but beating the Brewers matters. Give Winker a day off in San Diego, unless he has some injury nobody is aware of.

I don't think ownership has the money to add payroll which means they will need to shed payroll (Moose or SP) in order to upgrade the pen. They likely have to overpay in prospect talent to move Moose.

I see Greene and Lodolo hitting their prime while this organization is rebuilding so putting Greene in the pen this season is a negative if it stymies his development (which it will). I'm ok with it if this team has legit shot at the playoffs. You can always leave him in AAA next year for a couple months to gain that year back.
The MLBPA has really been fighting the guys that get held till their date before they're called up. Especially if it's a few weeks into the season. They'd sure fight this and the Reds would probably lose