The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

P
Reds are going to need to keep winning at a high clip...
Brewers have 10 games against Colorado and Arizona. Very likely the Brewers return to their winning ways.
Probably true, but the Rockies are 23-14 at home. I'm guessing they will out-score the Brew Crew a couple times this weekend in Denver, the Brewers offense is bad.

Arizona is a dumpster fire though. in early May, they were 15-13. Since then they have somehow gone 5-36. Unreal.

The Rocks may get two at home but I don't see the Brewers going less than 7-3 in this stretch.

That means the Reds have to go 8-2 to gain ground. That's a tall order against the teams they have coming up.

The Rocks may get two at home but I don't see the Brewers going less than 7-3 in this stretch.

That means the Reds have to go 8-2 to gain ground. That's a tall order against the teams they have coming up.
The Reds don’t have to do anything, it’s only late June ?

2 games back in mid June - I don't think gaining ground every week is vital. Just keep playing well and stay healthy - I would love to go 6-4 or 7-3 the next 10 games.

2 games back in mid June - I don't think gaining ground every week is vital. Just keep playing well and stay healthy - I would love to go 6-4 or 7-3 the next 10 games.
it's important to either maintain or gain ground. Ownership isn't likely to make additions if this team is 5 games back and in 3rd or 4th place.

The Reds bullpen was fantastic against the Brewers. Did the Pen turn it around or is the Brewers O that bad?
Well, we all know you don't make decisions based on 1 game in baseball, but we got a bit of an answer in the 9th inning last night. Outside of Brach, Hembree and Sims, the pen is not very reliable. Amir is just so inconsistent...

With that great 9th inning 4 run rally by the Reds to take the lead, that game was set to be one of those monumental moments that can springboard a team. Turns out it will be a springboard for the Padres. :mad:

Garrett and Suarez are killing this team
For as bad as Garrett has pitched this year he only has 2 losses. The entire bullpen as currently constructed has 5 losses. Most of the guys who were getting killed early on are no longer with the club.

By comparison Castillo has 9 losses himself and the starting rotation has 20 losses.

For as bad as Garrett has pitched this year he only has 2 losses. The entire bullpen as currently constructed has 5 losses. Most of the guys who were getting killed early on are no longer with the club.

By comparison Castillo has 9 losses himself and the starting rotation has 20 losses.
Garrett is killing them as he has pitched with the game on the line and has been terrible, the bullpen as a whole is obviously bad but Antone and Sims should be the end of game pitchers going forward. Garrett should be sent down to work on his mental outlook or outright released as should Dolittle. These games will hurt when the race comes down to September

Garrett is killing them as he has pitched with the game on the line and has been terrible, the bullpen as a whole is obviously bad but Antone and Sims should be the end of game pitchers going forward. Garrett should be sent down to work on his mental outlook or outright released as should Dolittle. These games will hurt when the race comes down to September
I had hoped Garrett would turn it around and he did for a few non-leverage outings. I think he'd really do better with a change of scenery. It just doesn't seem to be working here, and Bell just doesn't have enough spots to put him in like he needs to to work through it. He's pitching an inning or two a week, that's it. He needs a couple of weeks of regular work and figure some things out.
I don't believe Sims was available last night. Hendrix has been pretty decent and I thought he could get us by last night with a 2 run lead, but by walking the first guy on 4 pitches, he was in trouble. He threw Hosmer about 6 sliders and never threw anything else. Amir pitched from behind on both batters he faced and that's been his issue. He can't spot the fastball and his slider is hittable if it's over the plate. I"m surprised they don't use Dolittle more, since he was brought in and paid quite a bit.

But I'm still playing Winker everyday unless he asks out.
I believe Bell stated that the other day was a planned day off and they hoped to get to the All-Star Break without needing to rest him again. Everyone knows you'd play everyone 162 games with the staring pitchers going 8-9 innings a game

I had hoped Garrett would turn it around and he did for a few non-leverage outings. I think he'd really do better with a change of scenery. It just doesn't seem to be working here, and Bell just doesn't have enough spots to put him in like he needs to to work through it. He's pitching an inning or two a week, that's it. He needs a couple of weeks of regular work and figure some things out.
I don't believe Sims was available last night. Hendrix has been pretty decent and I thought he could get us by last night with a 2 run lead, but by walking the first guy on 4 pitches, he was in trouble. He threw Hosmer about 6 sliders and never threw anything else. Amir pitched from behind on both batters he faced and that's been his issue. He can't spot the fastball and his slider is hittable if it's over the plate. I"m surprised they don't use Dolittle more, since he was brought in and paid quite a bit.
Agreed - Sims not available, I think he appeared 3 of last 4 days including a 2-inning stint on one of those days. Hembree and Brach also used heavily during the win streak and unavailable. They have been the 3 reliable guys in the pen.

Really bad scenario to have your only lefties being totally ineffective. Neither Garrett nor Doolittle is trustworthy right now. C. Perez is thankfully in the minors, so everyone else is right-handed. Best hope right now is getting two more good righties (Antone and Lorenzen) healthy. And maybe one of the lefties can get their sh__t together.

Win/Loss record for a Pitcher is not important. What’s his WHIP, ERA, K/BB?

I believe Bell stated that the other day was a planned day off and they hoped to get to the All-Star Break without needing to rest him again. Everyone knows you'd play everyone 162 games with the staring pitchers going 8-9 innings a game
He needs days off, I didn't understand the timing. Why have a planned day off for one of your best hitters against a division rival that you're chasing in the standings? Winning that game is the only way to guarantee gaining ground. Have a planned off day in San Diego where if you lose, the Cubs and Brewers can also still lose and you don't lose any ground.

In hindsight, all worked out. But the thinking confuses me. It's far from the Tony LaRussa school of thought where he would alter his pitching rotation so that his #1, 2, and 3 were facing the Reds every series when they were both frontrunning the division.

Agreed - Sims not available, I think he appeared 3 of last 4 days including a 2-inning stint on one of those days. Hembree and Brach also used heavily during the win streak and unavailable. They have been the 3 reliable guys in the pen.

Really bad scenario to have your only lefties being totally ineffective. Neither Garrett nor Doolittle is trustworthy right now. C. Perez is thankfully in the minors, so everyone else is right-handed. Best hope right now is getting two more good righties (Antone and Lorenzen) healthy. And maybe one of the lefties can get their sh__t together.
I believe for us, I really don't think righty/ lefty really matters. With the new stupid rule of the 3 batter minimum, that strategy is worthless anyway. That said, you just have to get people out, no matter which way they bat. Antone MAY be back this weekend, but I'm going to be very skeptical that he's going to be able to take much of a workload. He bypassed Tommy John surgery a few years ago to take one more shot at getting to the bigs and he may just be breaking down. Lorenzen can't get here quick enough. I think we just need to go through our minor league system and just start bringing guys up two at a time, rotate in, rotate out. You pitch until you prove you can't handle it and we move on. Bell needs guys he can rely on two out of three days regularly, one inning minimum.

I understand that. But all I'm saying is that Winker and Castellenos are our top two offensive weapons, and they are playing at an MVP level. They are in the lineup every day. Now, if you get a chance in a blowout that you can get them out of the game do it.

He needs days off, I didn't understand the timing. Why have a planned day off for one of your best hitters against a division rival that you're chasing in the standings? Winning that game is the only way to guarantee gaining ground. Have a planned off day in San Diego where if you lose, the Cubs and Brewers can also still lose and you don't lose any ground.

In hindsight, all worked out. But the thinking confuses me. It's far from the Tony LaRussa school of thought where he would alter his pitching rotation so that his #1, 2, and 3 were facing the Reds every series when they were both frontrunning the division.
That's just it, baseball managers do too much thinking. You put your best players on the field everyday, unless they ask for a day off or they are really struggling. And how can you say that a bullpen arm is "unavailable" before the game starts? You may need them. Look, I know Sims has pitched alot lately, but he's not throwing 30-40 pitches every outing. Heck you may not have an opportunity to use him for 3 days in a row, and then you may need him 3 days in a row. 3 of the last 4 days, he threw 22-18-20 pitches. That's not much.

That's just it, baseball managers do too much thinking. You put your best players on the field everyday, unless they ask for a day off or they are really struggling. And how can you say that a bullpen arm is "unavailable" before the game starts? You may need them. Look, I know Sims has pitched alot lately, but he's not throwing 30-40 pitches every outing. Heck you may not have an opportunity to use him for 3 days in a row, and then you may need him 3 days in a row. 3 of the last 4 days, he threw 22-18-20 pitches. That's not much.
Just 14Red not understanding modern athletics again. You don't wait till a guy's totally worn out and in a slump to give them time off. You try to prevent that. You can determine a player isn't available for the game for lots of reasons. Even short innings cause a lot of stress and inflammation on the body.

Ghost, his reasoning was the pitching matchup not the team. Guess Winker had struggles against whoever was throwing that night

Just 14Red not understanding modern athletics again. You don't wait till a guy's totally worn out and in a slump to give them time off. You try to prevent that. You can determine a player isn't available for the game for lots of reasons. Even short innings cause a lot of stress and inflammation on the body.

Ghost, his reasoning was the pitching matchup not the team. Guess Winker had struggles against whoever was throwing that night
He struggles against lefties. The person that "hits" lefties is Heineman, but he's not hitting anything right now.

Win/Loss record for a Pitcher is not important. What’s his WHIP, ERA, K/BB?
Of course it matters, especially in the context of this discussion.
Amir Garret has been terrible but his poor pitching has only resulted in 2 losses. Whereas Castillo's poor pitching has cost them 9 losses.

Garrett has been terrible no doubt but it has only resulted in 2 losses for the team.