The Official 2020 Cleveland Indians Thread

bedevil

Since they won't be playing in October for the first time in four years, might as well start the thread for next season. There will be plenty of questions, not the least of which are the futures of Corey Kluber and Francisco Lindor in Cleveland uniforms. Do they dump Kluber's salary and get prospects after the promising performance of Cavale, Plesac, and Plutko, and the emergence of Clevinger and Bieber as ace-caliber starters? Trade Zimmer after Mercado shined (most of the time) in center? What do you think are the Tribe's biggest needs heading into next year? Re-build or re-load?

You have part of your answer - Tribe exercising option to keep Kluber, but not Kipnis or Otero. I suspect they might try to re-sign Kip at a much lower cost.

Zimmer refused to go play Winter ball this year as Tribe felt he needed to get some at bats....Tito and Antonetti were not pleased so I could see Zimmer included in a trade this offseason as he has not shown he can hit at big league level or stay healthy. They also told Bauers they would like to see him work a bit harder on a consistent basis and improve his K rate and BB rate. Jose is open to playing 2b or 3b so I look for Tribe to grab an IF and adjust with Jose accordingly. Top prospect in organization is 3b Nolan Jones but he was at AA last year and may be a year away yet. Daniel Johnson may be next OF in line as he had a nice year at AAA and is only 22. Tribe may also shop one pitcher among Civale, Plutko, Plesac if it could bring back a hitter in return. Kluber and Cookie will be back in rotation next year along with Clevenger and Bieber.

I would imagine with the $$ savings on Kipnis and Bauer a free agent OF could be in the plans.

Zimmer refused to go play Winter ball this year as Tribe felt he needed to get some at bats....Tito and Antonetti were not pleased so I could see Zimmer included in a trade this offseason as he has not shown he can hit at big league level or stay healthy. They also told Bauers they would like to see him work a bit harder on a consistent basis and improve his K rate and BB rate. Jose is open to playing 2b or 3b so I look for Tribe to grab an IF and adjust with Jose accordingly. Top prospect in organization is 3b Nolan Jones but he was at AA last year and may be a year away yet. Daniel Johnson may be next OF in line as he had a nice year at AAA and is only 22. Tribe may also shop one pitcher among Civale, Plutko, Plesac if it could bring back a hitter in return. Kluber and Cookie will be back in rotation next year along with Clevenger and Bieber.

I'll be honest with you, I'd rather the Indians use Carrasco as the 8th inning set-up guy they so sorely lacked last year. He's in his mid-30's now. With Kluber back, it would be him, Clevenger, Bieber, and two of the young arms mentioned above. Who knows if Carrasco will have the stamina to go 6-7 innings for an entire year?

As for Zimmer, he might have just cut ties with the Indians. Did he not pay any attention to Oscar Merchado's season? If he thinks he's going to waltz in and take over center, I think he's sadly mistaken. Bauers? Meh. I think he'll always be just another guy.

Nothing on Yappi about the playoffs or the WS,I find that very interesting because I guess I'm not alone for could care less...BAM!

Tribe and Dodgers talking about a deal that would send Lindor and Kluber to LA for a nice package of young talent. LA has more young talent than anyone right now so Tribe looking to max out with Lindor. Not sure it happens this winter or at deadline or next winter but I bet it happens at some point with LA.

Tribe and Dodgers talking about a deal that would send Lindor and Kluber to LA for a nice package of young talent. LA has more young talent than anyone right now so Tribe looking to max out with Lindor. Not sure it happens this winter or at deadline or next winter but I bet it happens at some point with LA.

The Dodgers have been rumored as the most likely trade partners from the very beginning. The conversation shouldn't even begin to move forward if SP Julio Urias and SS/2b Gavin Lux aren't in the package. P Dustin May is another possibility. OF Alex Verdugo is considered their top prospect, but he has middling power. I'd rather have Lux, who might be the long-term answer at 2B.

The Dodgers have been rumored as the most likely trade partners from the very beginning. The conversation shouldn't even begin to move forward if SP Julio Urias and SS/2b Gavin Lux aren't in the package. P Dustin May is another possibility. OF Alex Verdugo is considered their top prospect, but he has middling power. I'd rather have Lux, who might be the long-term answer at 2B.
Lindor will be bye,bye when it's time for the BIG bucks for sure...just like all the rest of them....BAM!

Sell off all there players .

I think Kluber is done. That back-door 2 seam lost it's bite, he's lost velocity overall and does not seem to be fooling people anymore. He may return to form for a little while, but I am sad to say I think he's gonna be an over-priced set-up guy/innings eater at best before too long.

DeShields is probably just another no-hit OF here, because we can't develop a hitter at the Cleveland Indians (Gio, Yandi), but I am happy to have a 22 yo 100+ arm AND to dump salary, ESPECIALLY if it helps us get a stick at 2B or 3B with Jose to 2B.

Last edited:
I wish Kluber well but I'm glad we don't have to watch him decline because he was really good at his craft...BAM!

Last edited:
Uh-oh. This doesn't bode well if you are looking for signs. I've seen two ads for season tickets sales for the Indians, and they Ramirez and Carrasco, not the face of the franchise - for now - Francisco Lindor.

Dodgers do not seem to want to part with Lux and May so Frankie stays to open 2020 at least. The Kluber trade was a salary dump but they got some value in return. Young bullpen power arm for sure!! DeSheilds is a slight upgrade from Greg Allen. Tribe may trade an OF or two now as they have a bunch of average guys out there. I agree with Cabeza that the money saved on Kluber should buy Tribe an IF to help this year. Pitching is still good and top 5 in order are decent. Mercado looks like he will be an above average OF.....but as of right now we have Christian Arroyo as our starting 2b and two OF platoons of Bauers/Luplow and DeSheilds/Zimmer. It would be nice to improve a couple of those spots.

Tribe just got their 2b for 2020 by signing Cesar Hernandez to one yr 6.25M deal. 29 yr old switch hitter hit .279 with 14 homers for Phils last year and is .277 career hitter. Not a bad signing at all for Tribe. Seems like Lindor is staying put for the time being.

Tribe fans very quiet right now. Are you all giving up on season already since payroll cut to 90M and White Sox and Twins loaded up on offense?
Tribe still has best rotation in the division and possibly the best infield as well. All switch hitters and good defenders. Perez solid behind the plate and Reyes at DH should hit 35-40 bombs. Now about that OF???? Sounds like Mercado starts in either CF or RF and that is about all we know. Zimmer needs to win a job in Spring training or we may see DeShields and his weak bat in CF. Probably a platoon in LF with Luplow and Bauers unless Naquin is healthy sooner than we think. I wish they would bring Puig back on a one year deal!! Bullpen needs to be great and young guys Clase and Karinchek need to be good as set up guys. Hand needs to bounce back to form as well.

I think the Tribe should cheat and put Chief Wahoo back on,what are they going to do...BAM!

A lot of new faces this season with the Tribe,some old faces need to step up for this team to get better.