The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I like the Moustakas signing. In fact I suggested a few months back that he should be a top priority for the Reds. I was merely pointing out that the Reds should have plenty of money to spend on other priorities such as a power OF bat and pitching.
Yesterday's non tenders of Peraza and Gausman as well as the earlier release of Dietrich freed up over $17.3M in payroll. Essentially the Reds turned those 3 players into Mike Moustakas.
The Reds paid a premium for Moustakas. I wonder if they felt that they could afford to pay a little higher assuming the Brewers were likely bidding against them. The Brewers stated they wanted to sign either Grandal or Moustakas. They ended up with neither. Did the Reds put a value on not only improving their club but also on detracting from the Brewers? If so, how much? Btw, the Brewers are now shopping Josh Hader. It seems as though Milwaukee is being forced to consider a rebuild. Is Hader a trade target for the Reds and at what price?
I can’t imagine they’d want to trade of one the most dominant Relievers in Baseball within the Division.

Agreed, the Brewers would not trade Hader to someone they will face 19 times, unless the price is exorbitant. As for where to spend the remaining money, we currently have our biggest offensive deficiencies at C, SS and LF. And we have to keep in mind that Aquino may or may not be the answer in RF. If he is 80% of what he showed last season, that would be great. That and Winker's health issues have me leaning towards OF bat as top priority.

Puig is out there. Castellanos will be most expensive, followed by Ozuna (who rejected 17.8M from Cards). Ozuna also costs a draft pick if you sign him. Puig would be cheaper, and is already a known fit in the locker room. Move Aquino to LF if you sign him. That lineup would have plenty of thunder. Avisail Garcia would also be a nice player to pick up.

That still leaves bad production at the bottom of the lineup (Galvis and Barny/Casali). So we have to ask which is better (Winker/Ervin platoon in LF with Gregorius at SS) or (Ozuna/Puig/Garcia in OF with Galvis at SS). Close call.

After the non tenders and the addition of Moustakas (assuming it is 16M/year) the Reds payroll projection stands at $112.3M

If they expand payroll to $140M where would you like to see that money invested?
Personally I want Castellanos or a trade for a Bone fide OF hitter. I'd also like to upgrade the 5th starter, bullpen and catcher if possible. Gregorious would be a serious upgrade but probably not a good investment as the Reds would not have the money to upgrade other positions then.
It's clear now the Reds are in a win now mode. Moustakas should fit right into our lineup, and this probably means that Senzel will be back in centerfield. Moustakas is probably the best fit at 2nd base for the Reds. Still a long way to go until spring training, but nice to get some good baseball news in December.

Chirinos and Puig would make solid upgrades for the Reds. If you could get them for a combined 16M a year that would be a solid get. That would still leave money to address the pitching and maybe SS.

I liked Puig for about a month and a half last season. He got off to a horrible start, I'm really not wanting to bring him back at this point. I don't know where you put him unless you are not sold on Aquino.
My lineup for today...

Senzel CF
Votto 1B
Suarez 3B
Acquino RF
Moustakas 2B
Winker LF
Barnhart/ Casali C
Galvis SS

Certainly this can change as we're still looking for possibly catchers/ outfielders/ shortstop. Now I will say with Puig, we dipped our toes in the water with him last year and had NO issues like he had in LA. So if we could get him at a discounted price, I'd be ok with it. I just don't know that he's a guy who ever wants to sit.

It's clear now the Reds are in a win now mode. Moustakas should fit right into our lineup, and this probably means that Senzel will be back in centerfield. Moustakas is probably the best fit at 2nd base for the Reds. Still a long way to go until spring training, but nice to get some good baseball news in December.
Need to be focused on fixing the bullpen now that they got their power hitter. There’s not a lot of quality relief arms on the mkt. Both Will Smith and Drew Pomeranz have already signed huge deals. Pomeranz signed for 34 mm ffs. This is not 10-20 yrs ago where you could plug in any failed starter or AAA Journeyman.

There’s about 5 quality arms left on the mkt: Cishek, Harris, Betances, Hudson, and Stammen. After that it’s slim pickings, and if they don’t fix the crappy bullpen, none of this matters

Last edited:
I can’t imagine they’d want to trade of one the most dominant Relievers in Baseball within the Division.
I think Milwaukee sees the writing pretty clearly after losing two big bats and a pitcher.
Hader could definitely bring a haul in return. As for trading within the division, It would be ridiculous to turn down the best offer just because they play in your division. If your goal is to reload, restock, rebuild or whatever you want to call it then you take the best deal. From the Reds perspective Hader would cost at least a top 3 prospect plus 2-3 other decent prospects. The Reds would likely be hamstrung by his salary after 2 seasons and be "forced" to trade him with 2 years left. Lodolo, Greene, or India would be a steep price to pay for only 2 years of a reliever.

A move for Hader should be the final piece, not one done in the middle.

Need to be focused on fixing the bullpen now that they got their power hitter. There’s not a lot of quality relief arms on the mkt. Both Will Smith and Drew Pomeranz have already signed huge deals. Pomeranz signed for 34 mm ffs. This is not 10-20 yrs ago where you could plug in any failed starter or AAA Journeyman.

There’s about 5 quality arms left on the mkt: Cishek, Harris, Betances, Hudson, and Stammen. After that it’s slim pickings, and if they don’t fix the crappy bullpen, none of this matters
I disagree. The focus should be on at least one more big bat. Then they can figure out the bullpen.
To spend (or overspend) on a reliever doesn't make sense until you have an offense and starting pitching to contend.

I liked Puig for about a month and a half last season. He got off to a horrible start, I'm really not wanting to bring him back at this point. I don't know where you put him unless you are not sold on Aquino.
My lineup for today...

Senzel CF
Votto 1B
Suarez 3B
Acquino RF
Moustakas 2B
Winker LF
Barnhart/ Casali C
Galvis SS

Certainly this can change as we're still looking for possibly catchers/ outfielders/ shortstop. Now I will say with Puig, we dipped our toes in the water with him last year and had NO issues like he had in LA. So if we could get him at a discounted price, I'd be ok with it. I just don't know that he's a guy who ever wants to sit.
Up until the trade, Puig was the second most productive Red, behind Suarez. Look at the numbers. He also is great defensively, so you should love him. I'd put him in RF and Aquino in LF, and be happy about it, if the price is fair. If you think Winker is better than Puig, you better check again. Winker is still in "potential" category, and he needs to stay healthy. If we fail to get Puig, then signing Avisail Garcia as an FA would be nice addition as an OF bat.

As for the bullpen, I would not overspend there. Need to just hope Iglesias returns to form, and Lorenzen / Garrett keep improving. Find a couple of other power arms in the spring to fill the other roles.

I suppose if you think Aquino is an everyday OF then Wheeler makes sense.
After looking a little more at Wheeler I just don't see the fascination with him. At age 29 he has a career 1.295 WHIP and an ERA of 3.77
That doesn't scream $100M+ pitcher to me.
When you adjust for GABP his numbers inflate 1.491 WHIP and 4.67 ERA.

After looking a little more at Wheeler I just don't see the fascination with him. At age 29 he has a career 1.295 WHIP and an ERA of 3.77
Yeah, pretty pedestrian. Depends if you trust the scouting and analytics of the reds. Maybe they see something they can work with like Sonny Gray.

Yeah, pretty pedestrian. Depends if you trust the scouting and analytics of the reds. Maybe they see something they can work with like Sonny Gray.

Based on all the good things I'm reading about the pitching analytics guru they just hired, I'd imagine they do see something in him if they're still in on him.

I really feel ok with the starting pitchers we currently have. I don't think we need to go looking for another starter, especially if we have to overpay for one.
I'd say more important is an outfield bat and or shortstop.

I suppose if you think Aquino is an everyday OF then Wheeler makes sense.
I agree with you about Wheeler. More flash and fanfare than deserved, based on his production. He is way past the "hot young prospect" that he was tagged with years ago. I'd avoid him.

But are you saying you do not think Aquino is an everyday OF? please elaborate. I realize he was ho-hum through most of his minor league years, until he took off last year. It sounds like you think he will revert to his prior self? Granted, that is possible, but I hope it is more a case of him figuring something out, and his coaches help him stay in a groove.

Aquino had just over 200 ABs in the majors last year, roughly a third of a season. Extrapolate his numbers and you get 57 HR, 141 RBI, 21 SB. We all know that won't happen. But even if he is just 75% as good as last year, that is 42 HR and 105 RBI. If he is 60% as good as last year, that is 34 HR and 85 RBI. He definitely is an everyday OF for me, at least through the all star break. Even if he starts slow, we need to give him a chance to have that explosive stretch that he has shown.

I agree with you about Wheeler. More flash and fanfare than deserved, based on his production. He is way past the "hot young prospect" that he was tagged with years ago. I'd avoid him.

But are you saying you do not think Aquino is an everyday OF? please elaborate. I realize he was ho-hum through most of his minor league years, until he took off last year. It sounds like you think he will revert to his prior self? Granted, that is possible, but I hope it is more a case of him figuring something out, and his coaches help him stay in a groove.

Aquino had just over 200 ABs in the majors last year, roughly a third of a season. Extrapolate his numbers and you get 57 HR, 141 RBI, 21 SB. We all know that won't happen. But even if he is just 75% as good as last year, that is 42 HR and 105 RBI. If he is 60% as good as last year, that is 34 HR and 85 RBI. He definitely is an everyday OF for me, at least through the all star break. Even if he starts slow, we need to give him a chance to have that explosive stretch that he has shown.
Wheeler signs with Phillies for 5 years 118M.

Aquino....
There seems to be two camps on Aquino. One where he should be starting in RF on opening day and it's his job to lose. The other that says he has to earn the spot on SP.
Dick William's has stated he is in camp two.
Personally I'm ok with Aquino unless you can get a bona fide OF. Let's assume Aquino is more September than August. Can we live with that?
My point is that the Reds have resources and needs. Spending those resources wisely is the key. Dropping 25M/YR on Wheeler would be a waste of resources but 8M on Puig, 7M on Chirinos and 5M on Alex Wood and 10M on the bullpen would seem like a wise investment.

I really feel ok with the starting pitchers we currently have. I don't think we need to go looking for another starter, especially if we have to overpay for one.
I'd say more important is an outfield bat and or shortstop.
It depends on the scenario.

The rotation needs a reliable 5th starter, but with Castillo, Bauer, Gray atop the staff, why do you need to spend the $ on Bumgarner?
Sell tickets. And solidify arguably the best rotation in the NL. I worry Bumgarner’s on the decline and his best days are behind him. A lot of milage on that arm.

Can't wait to see how the Phillies feel about that Wheeler contract 2 years from now. Crazy...

Sell tickets. And solidify arguably the best rotation in the NL. I worry Bumgarner’s on the decline and his best days are behind him. A lot of milage on that arm.
He wants a long term deal worth 100 mm. Not worth it. Too many fans caught up by the name, the rotation is solid as is, fix the god dam bullpen and add another bat. Don’t spend $ just for the sake of spending it.

Last edited:
He wants a long term deal worth 100 mm. Not worth it. Too many fans caught up by the name, the rotation is solid as is, fix the god dam bullpen and add another bat. Don’t spend $ just for the sake of spending it.
The upside with a healthy and effective Bumgarner is huge. I can understand them considering it. I’m not sure that guy exists anymore though.

The upside with a healthy and effective Bumgarner is huge. I can understand them considering it. I’m not sure that guy exists anymore though.

That’s a gigantic risk to take on a guy you’re not certain about. They should’ve learned from the Homer Bailey fiasco