The Many Saints of Newark

clarkgriswold

The Many Saints of Newark will be released October 1st. The movie is a prequel to The Sopranos with Tony as a teenager who idolizes his uncle Dickie Moltisanti (Christopher's father). Michael Gandolfini, James's son, plays the young Tony. From the previews/trailers I've seen it is damn creepy how much he looks like his father must have at that age. I haven't looked this much to a movie in a long time (which means I will probably be disappointed).

Last edited:

I prefer pre-quells to sequels in most cases so my hope is kind of high for this film. With all new actors the writing will come front and center, along with David Chase there will be Sopranos vet Lawrence Konner assisting with the writing credits. This will be the key to Saints being a successful installment to an important TV franchise.

I guess the actor that played Christopher narrates at least part of the movie. I noted too the part at the end of trailer 2 of the lady when baby Christopher is crying at Tony says "Some babies, when the come into the world, know all kinds of things from the other side." Think he knows Tony suffocates him?

I'm also looking forward to seeing the young Paulie Walnuts, Silvio and Pu$$y.

I will say the promotional budget of this thing must be huge, tons of ads during NCAA & NFL football games and free HBO this past weekend with one channel playing nothing but Sopranos. I hope it doesn't suck.

Just finished it and it was decent. It would’ve actually benefited a lot from an extra hour of run time. There’s some plot holes that bother me. Chief among them being the age of Sil & Pus. In the series they’re only supposed to be a few yrs older than Tony but in the movie they’re portrayed as being 10+ yrs older. Tony is supposed to be 16/17 and they’re already full fledged gangsters.

The acting from most of the cast was top notch. The actors playing Dickie, Jr, and Livia really stood out. However, the actor playing Sil should leave acting forever, he sucked.

I was disappointed. I went in expecting something different, so maybe that played a role in my disappointment, but I didn't think it was very good. I would probably say somewhere in the 4-5 out of 10 range for me. I'll see it again and maybe it will grow on me.

Eh, maybe **1/2. To me it felt like two mid-season episodes back to back instead of a coherent two hour film. As others have called out the acting is what makes the film and I agree, I really liked Ray Liotta and Vera Farmiga but the entire cast was solid. On the other hand plot felt like they were forcing issues instead of letting them organically play out and the direction was basic TV like and not worthy of cinema. I hope they let this franchise rest as it feels like it is played out.

A WOKE peace of crap......

What a waste of talent and potential. Was this suppose to be about the Sopranos or about race tensions? I came into thinking this was going to set up the Sopranos series but instead it was about a black gangster and his rise and move to the suburbs..... They did a poor arse job trying to sell the inspiration Dickie gave to Tony .... What was it???? Instead of sticking to the point and what made Tony be who he was in the Soprano's they decided to play woke politics. No real story here..... starting to think that they are just marketing on the Sopranos success and throw in a young Tony here and there to try and make us happy while selling us a totally different story instead.

A WOKE peace of crap......

What a waste of talent and potential. Was this suppose to be about the Sopranos or about race tensions? I came into thinking this was going to set up the Sopranos series but instead it was about a black gangster and his rise and move to the suburbs..... They did a poor arse job trying to sell the inspiration Dickie gave to Tony .... What was it???? Instead of sticking to the point and what made Tony be who he was in the Soprano's they decided to play woke politics. No real story here..... starting to think that they are just marketing on the Sopranos success and throw in a young Tony here and there to try and make us happy while selling us a totally different story instead.
While I agree with the point it is far from the worst aspect of the film.

Also what is with all the deification of Frank Lucas? Filmmakers make him out as this great American hero that was just taking care of a need in his community with quality product. Here they make him look like this suave worldly Super Fly guy who spends quality time with his family and imparts wisdom so the local brother can bleed the community dry instead of the greasy gumbas.