The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time According to Rolling Stone

Auggie

Hate these lists. I realize fodder is the main product from their creation and it can be fun, but 500 is too large/vague to even take an honest stab at it. When we do, however, we realize we all have different tastes. I appreciate all the song writers and musicians that have created the fabric of the background of our lives. ?????

Most here will not agree but then again it is nearly an impossible task. Of course this list is heavy on "Woke" artists while country and heavy metal are very under represented. The top 10

1. Aretha Franklin: Respect
  2. Public Enemy: Fight the Power
  3. Sam Cooke: A Change is Going to Come
  4. Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone
  5. Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit
  6. Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
  7. The Beatles: Strawberry Fields Forever
  8. Missy Elliot: Get Ur Freak On
  9. Fleetwood Mac: Dreams
  10. Outkast: Hey Ya
Not sure the songs listed above by Dylan, The Beatles, or Fleetwood Mac are even their best let alone top 10 of all time. And then you have Missy Elliot and Outkast in the top 10?!? I get wanting the 21st century represented but there is a lot better out there that Get Ur Freak on and Hey Ya.

Easy to understand that Top 10 ......................coming from the publication that fell for, and promoted, the false ivermectin story out of Oklahoma.

No thanks.

So I guess SOD's Speak English or Die did not make the list..... I mean, that track has some killer riffs!!!!!!

What? No MMMBop? I'm outraged!

Seriously though, I've never understood the love for Aretha Franklin's "Respect". #1 greatest song of all-time? Personal tastes differ of course, but I've never been a huge fan of that song. A Top Ten (or Top 500) list is highly subjective. I doubt if I could even list my personal Top Ten "Favorite" songs let alone the 500 "Greatest" songs of all-time.

It's awesome P.E. influenced so many people who were allowed to vote, but I would have gone 'Can't truss it' over 'Fight the Power' as for top three. imo...

Here is a list created by a computer that used analytical software:
  1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
  2. Imagine - John Lennon
  3. One - U2
  4. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  6. Hey Jude - The Beatles
  7. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
  8. I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
  9. God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols
  10. Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns N' Roses
Not saying it is perfect but I prefer the computer picking over Rolling Stone by a very large margin.

Hate these lists. I realize fodder is the main product from their creation and it can be fun, but 500 is too large/vague to even take an honest stab at it. When we do, however, we realize we all have different tastes. I appreciate all the song writers and musicians that have created the fabric of the background of our lives. ?????
Here is a list created by a computer that used analytical software:
  1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
  2. Imagine - John Lennon
  3. One - U2
  4. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  6. Hey Jude - The Beatles
  7. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
  8. I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
  9. God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols
  10. Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns N' Roses
Not saying it is perfect but I prefer the computer picking over Rolling Stone by a very large margin.
Any list that doesn’t have the Stones’ “Can’t you hear me knocking” in the top three is meaningless

Did the song “Fancy Like” make the list? It must be a great song if Applebee’s adopted it as their de facto anthem. ?

All RS wanted was people to talk about them as most of us probably didnt even realize they were still a thing.

As far as the top 10?

Lord that is atrocious.