Teays Valley to join Ohio Capital Conference in ‘24

The MSL Buckeye will be interesting to see moving forward. Teays has been trying to get out the MSL for years, because of their fast growth and knowing they'll continue to grow. They long over stayed, but props to them for finally leaving. What does the MSL do now? I see a lot of people on here talking about Hamilton Township not wanting to be in the OCC. Living close to the area and having family in the school district, it's going to happen. The growth that just got approved there is insane, and they're going to struggle to logistically keep up with it. They approved multiple new subdivisions around the school, commerce and businesses in the form of strip malls. The roads barely handle the traffic as is. Every piece of farm land by the school is already being dug up. They expect 1,000 extra students within the next 10 years. They'll be D1 by 2032 in their plans. So don't kid yourself on HT not leaving the MSL. The writing is on the wall with them. Look at their updates to the facilities, especially that all digital scoreboard. They're doing what Teays did, in upgrading facilities for the eventual move over to a new league. The MSL Buckeye is full of small rural communities and towns, and it should remain as such moving forward. I have nothing against HT, but it's not like the other communities. It's a subdivision of the city of Columbus. It's not a real town or community like Baltimore, Amanda, Circleville, etc. I think in the long term plan it would be best to keep the MSL as a small'ish rural school league. But how that happens, I don't know. Much easier said than done. Who would you bring over, without hurting another league? At that point, if HT and TV are gone, you have the following:

Bloom Carroll - D4
Logan Elm - D4
Amanda CC - D5
Fairfield Union - D4
Liberty Union - D5
Circleville - D4

Could they get Westfall (D4) to slide over? They're in the same county as Circleville and Logan Elm, and it would maintain a country rivalry. Outside of that, who else? Berne Union? Choices get slim, and then you get nervous the MSL will do something crazy or stupid and mess it up. Going to be an interesting future for the league.
I think you get realignment within the MSL. I imagine Bexley (D4) and Whitehall (D2) would be considered.

The MSL Buckeye will be interesting to see moving forward. Teays has been trying to get out the MSL for years, because of their fast growth and knowing they'll continue to grow. They long over stayed, but props to them for finally leaving. What does the MSL do now? I see a lot of people on here talking about Hamilton Township not wanting to be in the OCC. Living close to the area and having family in the school district, it's going to happen. The growth that just got approved there is insane, and they're going to struggle to logistically keep up with it. They approved multiple new subdivisions around the school, commerce and businesses in the form of strip malls. The roads barely handle the traffic as is. Every piece of farm land by the school is already being dug up. They expect 1,000 extra students within the next 10 years. They'll be D1 by 2032 in their plans. So don't kid yourself on HT not leaving the MSL. The writing is on the wall with them. Look at their updates to the facilities, especially that all digital scoreboard. They're doing what Teays did, in upgrading facilities for the eventual move over to a new league. The MSL Buckeye is full of small rural communities and towns, and it should remain as such moving forward. I have nothing against HT, but it's not like the other communities. It's a subdivision of the city of Columbus. It's not a real town or community like Baltimore, Amanda, Circleville, etc. I think in the long term plan it would be best to keep the MSL as a small'ish rural school league. But how that happens, I don't know. Much easier said than done. Who would you bring over, without hurting another league? At that point, if HT and TV are gone, you have the following:

Bloom Carroll - D4
Logan Elm - D4
Amanda CC - D5
Fairfield Union - D4
Liberty Union - D5
Circleville - D4

Could they get Westfall (D4) to slide over? They're in the same county as Circleville and Logan Elm, and it would maintain a country rivalry. Outside of that, who else? Berne Union? Choices get slim, and then you get nervous the MSL will do something crazy or stupid and mess it up. Going to be an interesting future for the league.
If HT left or went over to the Ohio (plausible), and they got down to six, the wish list would either be two SVC (Zane Trace/Unioto/Westfall) or BU and FC.

If for some reason it was just filling one spot, and they picked BU, then FC is good as gone in the Cardinal.
I think you get realignment within the MSL. I imagine Bexley (D4) and Whitehall (D2) would be considered.
I don't think Bexley goes to the Buckeye because there is no history at all with the Buckeye schools, and they're very closely-knit with Academy. Ohio is a great country club sports conference with easy travel and many common denominators.

No chance Whitehall goes to the Buckeye. IMO.

It's time for Lancaster, Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, and Groveport to align in an OCC Division (maybe with Grove City or Westland).

Makes sense geographically and competitively. No more rush hour hauls around 270 from Lancaster to Olentangy.
Or maybe Newark also would not be out of reach with that lineup

MSL Commissioner Jim Hayes said tonight that Teays Valley's vacancy in the Buckeye will go unfilled.

There also will not be Buckeye-Ohio crossovers in football to account for the absence of Teays.

Last edited:
“I know speaking as the commissioner of the MSL that our other two divisions would like to have the chemistry that the Buckeye Division schools have."
yeah dude, this is what happens you keep adding a bunch of random schools who don't materially make the divisions better. neither the Cardinal nor Ohio divisions are 'one big happy family' for a reason lol

TV guy here that couldn't be more excited for both schools. Might help also that I live darn near the geographic center of this Division. Teays and Logan will take some lumps early but both have great facilities and people. If you haven't taken the trip down 33 to Logan for a football game do yourself a favor and get there. Beautiful place and probably some of the best popcorn around! Also Logan is used to driving... I'm sure they would much rather drive to Picktown or Reynoldsburg than the trips they took in the SEOAL days. Really looking forward to Pick/ Lancaster/ Groveport/ Teays softball games! Great programs playing home/ at homes every season! Yes please!!

Last edited:
TV guy here that couldn't be more excited for both schools. Might help also that I live darn near the geographic center of this Division. Teays and Logan will take some lumps early but both have great facilities and people. If you haven't taken the trip down 33 to Logan for a football game do yourself a favor and get there. Beautiful place and probably some of the best popcorn around! Also Logan is used to driving... I'm sure they would much rather drive to Picktown or Reynoldsburg than the trips they took in the SEOAL days. Really looking forward to Pick/ Lancaster/ Groveport/ Teays softball games! Three great programs playing home/ at homes every season! Yes please!!
Run with it, Teays community. I've given Teays lots of grief over the years, but I am indeed happy that their kids and programs get an opportunity to become stronger with richer, more meaningful and exciting prospects.

this move would look better if they didn’t throw Pick Central in the division. also, why are Central and North in separate divisions?

I think it’s three years away?
Its more than three years away. Currently the sixth middle school which will be located near Berlin, is scheduled to be opened for the 23/24 school year, after that the only plans right now is to build a 17th elementary school. IMO a 5th high school if built will be toward the end of this decade at the earliest.

So they can win more championships. Districts actually prefer this route.

this move would look better if they didn’t throw Pick Central in the division. also, why are Central and North in separate divisions?
In Pickerington's case I have always understood that is has more to do with trying to cut community venom between the two school-communities. That, but also having them in separate divisions does more to 'equalize' the schools than a situation where School A could be consistently finishing first in all sports and School B is finishing middle of the pack or last.

I emphatically do not understand why there can't be Buckeye/Ohio crossovers to fill the gap in football scheduling.

Whitehall v HT

Harvest Prep v BC

/break/

CA v A-C

BX v FU

BV v LE

Ready v CV

GH v LU

Like, all of the ones below the break could interchange easily and the ones above make sense.

Within the geographical context of their OCC division, Logan isn't all that bad. I just hope they can run with the big dogs.

As for the MidState - not saying this is going to happen, but would Washington Court House and Miami Trace make a good fit in a larger-school division? The size and competition level would be nearly ideal, Geography might not -but Jackson and perhaps Chillicothe keep casting their eyes southward, and the Fayette County contingent doesn't want to be left holding the FAC bag.

Within the geographical context of their OCC division, Logan isn't all that bad. I just hope they can run with the big dogs.

As for the MidState - not saying this is going to happen, but would Washington Court House and Miami Trace make a good fit in a larger-school division? The size and competition level would be nearly ideal, Geography might not -but Jackson and perhaps Chillicothe keep casting their eyes southward, and the Fayette County contingent doesn't want to be left holding the FAC bag.
i don’t see it happening. The Fayette county schools just don’t align culturally with HT, Whitehall, etc. they have no reason to leave Chillicothe, Mcclain, and Hillsboro. Chillicothe will never leave the FAC, Jackson probably will at some point. I think the FAC will eventually add Logan Elm and Circleville. it is to my understanding that both were invited in 2018, along with Waverly and Teays Valley, but things didn’t work out. the Fayette schools would be more likely to leave and join up with the Clinton county schools, if i had to guess

Last edited:
Canal Winchester
Groveport-Madison
Lancaster
Logan
Newark
Pickerington Central
Reynoldsburg
Teays Valley

in ‘24

per Dave Purpura, @ThisWeekDave

Map of given teams:
Occ24.png

The more I think about this the more excited I get about it.

Lancaster would keep the rivalry with Newark (have played 100 games). Our OCC rivalry with Pickerington Central (almost 30 years). Brings back an old matchup with Logan. Creates some great matchups regionally.

For the Gales it would mean that Newark would be the furthest they would travel for a conference game at about 35 minutes of travel time. Should hopefully increase fan travel and increase those ever important ticket sales at Fulton Field!

I have some mixed feelings about this.
On the good side, I am glad Logan has a Conference home finally. This will help make them be more competitive, it will be slow for them to compete in some sports but it would only be a matter of time before they compete for titles. For Teays Valley, this move will make them compete better within the central district as they will play quality opponents almost every night. I mean no disrespect to their MSL rivals. I also like this because this will help with travel and make it easier for fans to be at events. Nothing is better than avoiding 33 and 270 from 3pm to 7pm.
On the bad side, I know Lancaster is competing for championships in a lot of the Olympic sports (track, wrestling, xc, baseball and softball) but for Pick Central and Reynoldsburg they may look at this as we are the big Dawgs for Football and Basketball, with the exception of Newark in Basketball.. Just look at the athletes both have produced just in Football and Boys and Girls Basketball the last 10 years or so. The other schools aren't producing those types of players.
I would like to see this division in 2024 start with the 6 teams minus Pick Central and Reynoldsburg to begin with. Let Logan and Teays Valley compete with similar schools but obviously that will not happen. I Would like to see a division that has Pick Central, Upper Arlington, Olentangy Liberty, Dublin Coffman, Gahanna and either Davidson or Bradley. That would be very competitive. Let see how this works come 2024 and hope for the best for everyone involved.
I congratulate Logan and Teays again for joining the OCC.

Teays Valley will be able to compete in the OCC in wrestling. As a matter of fact if they were in the OCC this year, they would win a high percentage of OCC divisions. Just sayin

Good move for both schools. I think both with have growing pains but sometimes you just have to jump in and figure it out. Both schools will rise up and play at a higher level than what they have been. However, football wise they will be 5+ td underdogs and completely overmatched until they (especially Logan) can get their program to respectable. I would guess the interest/participation in Logan football will increase greatly because of this move.

i don’t see it happening. The Fayette county schools just don’t align culturally with HT, Whitehall, etc. they have no reason to leave Chillicothe, Mcclain, and Hillsboro. Chillicothe will never leave the FAC, Jackson probably will at some point. I think the FAC will eventually add Logan Elm and Circleville. it is to my understanding that both were invited in 2018, along with Waverly and Teays Valley, but things didn’t work out. the Fayette schools would be more likely to leave and join up with the Clinton county schools, if i had to guess
Point taken with Whitehall (less so with HT - as a former resident of both districts (the latter for only a year, however), there are more similarities that one would think. I would agree that bringing Circleville and LE into the FAC would be a great fit - but does either have an interest in leaving the MSL?

I don't think you're going to see the Clinton County schools align with WCH and MT again, at least in my lifetime - the old South Central Ohio League blew up twice due to differences between Wilmington and the latter two. Clinton County wants to align with schools in the Cincy-Dayton media market, while Fayette County is Columbus-centric.

Point taken with Whitehall (less so with HT - as a former resident of both districts (the latter for only a year, however), there are more similarities that one would think. I would agree that bringing Circleville and LE into the FAC would be a great fit - but does either have an interest in leaving the MSL?

I don't think you're going to see the Clinton County schools align with WCH and MT again, at least in my lifetime - the old South Central Ohio League blew up twice due to differences between Wilmington and the latter two. Clinton County wants to align with schools in the Cincy-Dayton media market, while Fayette County is Columbus-centric.
you make a great point about how Fayette is Columbus centric and Clinton is Dayton/Cinci centric. While I think you're right, I'm not quite sure why that's stopping them. Fayette and Clinton counties have very similar communities and cultures. travel is not bad at all. Personally, I am not quite sure why the SCOL blew up, outside of having a good run in basketball, what is the issue with Wilmington?

I absolutely think Circleville and Logan Elm would leave the MSL. The FAC is a tremendous fit for them, and pushing that league to 8 teams (the perfect number) would make everyone happy and would ease scheduling.

I don't foresee MT & WCH making it into the Buckeye as only MT & WCH.

The way I see it, here are the realistic expansion scenarios that could be in play for the Buckeye...

1) MT & WCH
2) Westfall
3) MT, WCH, WF & FC, BU

I have a hard time seeing #1 happen because it does not appear to serve the interests of Fairfield Union and Liberty Union well with the travel & likelihood that the gates could be bad if MT/WCH basketball teams aren't great. It's also possible that Bloom is going to have an issue with going to Fayette County that often.

Westfall as a singular addition makes sense on paper, but the football program is in really bad shape and it may be that sticking with the SVC is the more realistic solution (particularly football) than possibly stepping into a Buckeye where the only extant ties are with AC, CV and LE.

The really curious idea is #3. I can see...

Buckeye East
Amanda-Clearcreek
Berne Union
Bloom-Carroll
Fairfield Union
Fisher Cath.
Liberty Union

Buckeye West
Circleville
Hamilton Township
Logan Elm
Miami Trace
Court House
Westfall

I think that there are some legitimate concerns about the topic of geography and transportation costs with the possible "only taking in two Fayette County teams" idea, especially in these times.

My guess is if we somehow get a East/West alignment, it's going to be made possible with an agreement that the 5-6 Cardinal schools have to make a good faith attempt at getting as many games in with BU and FC as possible for when those two aren't playing the Buckeye teams. Not necessarily for BU and FC's sakes, but for the sake of the remaining Cardinal schools (convenience/competitive similarity) and BC, FU et al (like an insurance policy for computer points.)

I don’t know that there’s any way to salvage what’s left of the MSL. Bloom is really growing. You’d think Hamilton would be looking with their size and growing.

I also disagree with the above poster who said this should get more kids out for Logan football. Really? The first time they lineup against Pick Central in football they’ll run for the hills. Look who they’ve been playing now and not beating/competitive with. Better competition typically isn’t a way to get more kids out.

I don’t know that there’s any way to salvage what’s left of the MSL. Bloom is really growing. You’d think Hamilton would be looking with their size and growing.

I also disagree with the above poster who said this should get more kids out for Logan football. Really? The first time they lineup against Pick Central in football they’ll run for the hills. Look who they’ve been playing now and not beating/competitive with. Better competition typically isn’t a way to get more kids out.
Looking back, a friend and I thought of the two gravest mistakes the Mid-State League made in the last 20 years...

#1: the Cardinal throwing NC overboard in the mid 2000's, when they really should've just done it to a growing Licking Heights (oops)

#2: putting Grandview and Worthington Christian into the Ohio, c. 2011-2013, instead of adamantly telling the Ohio to take on Alder and North Union or walk.

I also don’t understand the Buckeye Valley move from either side
Looking back, a friend and I thought of the two gravest mistakes the Mid-State League made in the last 20 years...

#1: the Cardinal throwing NC overboard in the mid 2000's, when they really should've just done it to a growing Licking Heights (oops)

#2: putting Grandview and Worthington Christian into the Ohio, c. 2011-2013, instead of adamantly telling the Ohio to take on Alder and North Union or walk.
I also don’t understand the Buckeye Valley move from either side. Other than a warm body for the MSL, it’s not a fit. And from the BV side, what were they thinking? They were concerned the MOAC was moving north, yet accepted drives through Columbus and all the way to Liberty Union? The MSL settled for hodge-podging and are now in a pickle.

I also don’t understand the Buckeye Valley move from either side

I also don’t understand the Buckeye Valley move from either side. Other than a warm body for the MSL, it’s not a fit. And from the BV side, what were they thinking? They were concerned the MOAC was moving north, yet accepted drives through Columbus and all the way to Liberty Union? The MSL settled for hodge-podging and are now in a pickle.
Looking back, it may have also been a misfire to not tell Ready after a couple years that they have to pick "Team MSL" or "Team CCL."