Taft’s Rayvon Griffith

Gates was the most dominant Cincy HS player I can recall seeing WHEN HE WANTED TO BE.

Rayvon not even close to that dominant. He can be guarded; doesn't shoot well(Don't believe CMAC stat page for 1 second on anyone's stats). 3 games this year, held to 5, 5 and 2 points.

I doubt it. Griffith is usually the best all around player on the court. Gates was not even close to that imo.
Apparently you aren't familiar with Yancy Gates. He didn't make first team all state (Division 1) by accident. He was a big get for Mick Cronin at that time. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...pc=U531&cvid=7cabe32bab2441a6a905c4a0db0f35ba

The prevailing thought was he would draw other high level players to UC. Didn't pan out that way. UC had a number of above-serviceable players during the Gates era but only two made it to the NBA. Lance Stephenson kind of fell into UC's lap, much of it due to recruiting missteps by the University of Maryland. The other was Sean Kilpatrick, who made himself into an NBA player though he was only on the fringes, mainly paying on a string of 10-day contracts. That Gates went undrafted by the NBA and has made a career playing foreign ball certainly doesn't diminish what he did at UC and certainly not at the high school level.

Apparently you aren't familiar with Yancy Gates. He didn't make first team all state (Division 1) by accident. He was a big get for Mick Cronin at that time. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...pc=U531&cvid=7cabe32bab2441a6a905c4a0db0f35ba

The prevailing thought was he would draw other high level players to UC. Didn't pan out that way. UC had a number of above-serviceable players during the Gates era but only two made it to the NBA. Lance Stephenson kind of fell into UC's lap, much of it due to recruiting missteps by the University of Maryland. The other was Sean Kilpatrick, who made himself into an NBA player though he was only on the fringes, mainly paying on a string of 10-day contracts. That Gates went undrafted by the NBA and has made a career playing foreign ball certainly doesn't diminish what he did at UC and certainly not at the high school level.
Lol Yancy Gates couldn’t even run up and down the floor for a whole HS Game

Wait and see I suppose…as for NBA? ?….Not seeing that but he has time….NBA is all about shooting, period. Need to be able to get your own and knock them down. The days of guards that aren’t snipers (like Westbrook and Rose) are evaporating quickly.

Lol Yancy Gates couldn’t even run up and down the floor for a whole HS Game
Let's see. Where do we start at in rebuttal. First, the sport is basketball, not track or cross country. Whatever you may have thought of Yancy Gates as a high school player didn't deter Mick Cronin from pursuing him for UC. Now Mick wasn't alone. According to 247/Sports Georgetown and Indiana made him offers. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Yancy-Gates-7518/RecruitInterests/ Were Tom Crean and John Thompson III also fooled by Gates' high school play? The ESPN website listed other schools in relation to Gates. ESPN listed Michigan, NC State, Ohio State and Xavier. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/43946/yancy-gates I don't know if the interest was his, theirs or mutual. Gates being local helped. It mattered. UC hadn't had a local player make a significant contribution since Ryan Fletcher (Middletown) and Bobby Brannen. Please don't throw Eugene Land and B.J. Grove back at me. Moreover, Gates was the consensus 31st ranked high school player in the country for his graduating class. That is a consensus of RECRUITING services. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/awards/rsci-recruit-rankings-2008.html You'll notice there aren't too many players ranked ahead of Gates who also didn't crash and burn on their ways to the NBA.
Since then to this day UC has had all of TWO players who were ranked higher than 31st. Lance Stephenson was ranked 8th and fell into the lap of UC late in the recruiting season due to some missteps by the University of Maryland. Jermaine Lawrence was rated 25th and that shows the rankings aren't perfect. (Biggie McClain was ranked 58th in his class). I think Wes Miller would love to take his chances with the 31st rated player every year and build his recruiting classes from there. Gates was a 11 ppg./ 7 rpg. player for his years at UC, including a step up to 8.9 rpg. his last year. His numbers aren't out of line with the 30 players above him. Though he didn't make it to the NBA he has probably carved out more than a comfortable living playing pro ball overseas and in Mexico. Not bad for someone who couldn't get up and now the floor for a whole HS game. You are right and everybody else is wrong.

Last edited:
Yikes! What a terrible decision! Did he think he was not good enough to play at Ohio State?
Probably too good. The local 2G recruit going to Columbus in the fall couldn’t even score in his last high school game, so I know Griffith ain’t afraid of the competition

I wasn't aware UC was moving to the ACC
My, oh, my. Another one who laps up every word from "Duke" Vitale and the other talking heads at ESPN about the eternal greatness of the Atlantic Coast Conference like its gospel. For each of the last two seasons the 10-school Big 12 has had as many or more teams than the 15-school ACC make the NCAA Tournament. Baylor won the 2021 championship; Kansas won it this year. Last time I checked both schools were members of ...why...why...The Big 12!!! While the ACC may have long history on its side, there has been a changing of the guard the last two seasons. And you missed it.

My, oh, my. Another one who laps up every word from "Duke" Vitale and the other talking heads at ESPN about the eternal greatness of the Atlantic Coast Conference like its gospel. For each of the last two seasons the 10-school Big 12 has had as many or more teams than the 15-school ACC make the NCAA Tournament. Baylor won the 2021 championship; Kansas won it this year. Last time I checked both schools were members of ...why...why...The Big 12!!! While the ACC may have long history on its side, there has been a changing of the guard the last two seasons. And you missed it.
The ACC had half the final four and 3 teams in the Elite 8. They were the better deeper conference. Baylor has to prove they are more than a fluke. The Big 12 has one legit basketball school. One year does not make them a better conference

The ACC had half the final four and 3 teams in the Elite 8. They were the better deeper conference. Baylor has to prove they are more than a fluke. The Big 12 has one legit basketball school. One year does not make them a better conference
Within the tournament in 2022: ACC 13-6. Big 12 11-5. 2021 ACC 2-6 (yes, 2-6) Big 12 10-5. Deeper? That's why the ACC had 5 (yes, 5) out of 15 teams make the tournament while six of tne10 Big 12 teams made it. ACC is basically a 2-team conference. NC State won it all twice; Maryland and Virginia once each. The rest is UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke. Championships the last two years: Big 12 2, ACC 0. It's what have you done lately and if you didn't win, then you lost.

Last edited:
"So, by that rationale if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?"

Within the tournament in 2022: ACC 13-6. Big 12 11-5. 2021 ACC 2-6 (yes, 2-6) Big 12 10-5. Deeper? That's why the ACC had 5 (yes, 5) out of 15 teams make the tournament while six of tne10 Big 12 teams made it. ACC is basically a 2-team conference. NC State won it all twice; Maryland and Virginia once each. The rest is UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke. Championships the last two years: Big 12 2, ACC 0. It's what have you done lately and if you didn't win, then you lost.
Not to mention that Kansas would've been the betting favorite to win the 2020 NCAA tournament that was wiped out due to covid. They were ranked #1 in the final poll (Baylor was 5th too). In my eyes, the compactness of the Big 12 where you play everybody home and away and the strength of the league top to bottom ranks it over the ACC & B1G in most seasons.

It'd be great to see UC get back on an upswing. I expect Dayton to be quite good the next few seasons along with Ohio State, could be exciting for college basketball within the state.

Last edited:
UD is going to be good Grant is one of the best is the country, year in and year out the Big 12 along with the B1G are among the top 2 conferences in America and the ACC has fallen off recently and has become top heavy but is still a top 5 conference just not as strong. I believe the B1G is so strong from top to bottom and it is so tough to win their conference tournament it hurts the league come NCAA tourney, teams are absolutely wore out come the second weekend of the tournament. Indiana finished in the second tier this season in the and won the B1G tournament on a Sunday then had to travel to Dayton for the play-in game on Tuesday I went to their afternoon workout on Monday and they looked flat had no energy and it looked as if they had no time to rest. In short they struggled with Wyoming and that weekend they were blown out in the first round.
They had played 6 games in 10 days. All B1G teams were done by the sweet 16. Iowa played 5 games in 8 days. Most of the B1G teams in the tournament had multiple games in two weeks. I believe this is why in recent years the B1G has not had a strong showing on the tournament.

Is the Big Ten Conference tournament that much more demanding than all other conference tournaments? The last Big Ten school to win the national championship was Michigan State in 2000.https://www.allbrackets.com/

Indiana finished in the second tier this season in the and won the B1G tournament on a Sunday then had to travel to Dayton for the play-in game on Tuesday I went to their afternoon workout on Monday and they looked flat had no energy and it looked as if they had no time to rest. In short they struggled with Wyoming and that weekend they were blown out in the first round.
They had played 6 games in 10 days. All B1G teams were done by the sweet 16. Iowa played 5 games in 8 days. Most of the B1G teams in the tournament had multiple games in two weeks. I believe this is why in recent years the B1G has not had a strong showing on the tournament.
I think Indiana only played 5 games this year the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments.

We can assume that most of these kids played at a high level of AAU in high school which means most of them have been conditioned to play 4-6 games in 2 day and then did it again 5 days later. This would be the same for most college players on every college team.

I think Indiana only played 5 games this year the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments.

We can assume that most of these kids played at a high level of AAU in high school which means most of them have been conditioned to play 4-6 games in 2 day and then did it again 5 days later. This would be the same for most college players on every college team.
Indiana played 5 games in 8 days, the first two of which were hard fought games just to stay alive for an at-large berth. Add in the travel from Dayton to Portland after a Tuesday night game to play on Thursday. Saint Mary's was clearly a better team, but the Hoosiers were gassed as well.

Comparing AAU games to D1 tourney games is a big stretch given the shorter games and generally lack of defense.

You're right they actually played 5 games in 8 days in 3 different cities and they left Dayton to fly to Portland, Ore..
Even in elite AAU they may play 4-6 games in a day however, it's a weekend in the same city so there's no cross country travel once play begins for the weekend and it's less strenuous the stakes aren't as high. Only a few conferences play their conference championship on selection Sunday and the B1G completes their tourney maybe 30-45 minutes before the selection process. That's a lot even on a young player although they love it, that's a mental strain on anybody. It's also one reason why the pro's stop doing back-to-back-to-back games.

Indiana played 5 games in 8 days, the first two of which were hard fought games just to stay alive for an at-large berth. Add in the travel from Dayton to Portland after a Tuesday night game to play on Thursday. Saint Mary's was clearly a better team, but the Hoosiers were gassed as well.

Comparing AAU games to D1 tourney games is a big stretch given the shorter games and generally lack of defense.
I wasn't directly trying to compare AAU to the Big Ten tournament. I was saying that these players are conditioned to play up to 5 games in a day when they are in high school. So playing for 40 minutes in a day is not difficult. I was not saying they can do it for a season. But in March everyone is playing a lot. At 20 years old, playing in Dayton on Tuesday then playing in Portland on Thursday would have been easy.