Tackle Munford blocks out doubts

DB135

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/...ft-tackle-thayer-munford-doug-lesmerises.html

Ohio State

Ohio State-Michigan game’s most critical Buckeye may be left tackle Thayer Munford: Doug Lesmerises
Updated 7:48 AM; Posted Nov 22, 9:06 AM

By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Forget the Ohio State defense for the moment. We know the Buckeyes are going to have some issues there on Saturday.

On the other side of the ball, every day closer we get to The Game, my doubts grow about the ability of the Ohio State offensive line to protect Dwayne Haskins against the best defense in the country.

If there’s one OSU lineman who could ease those doubts, it’s sophomore left tackle Thayer Munford. This sophomore drips confidence. I tweeted Wednesday night that if you want to feel confident about the OSU offensive line, do not watch the first three quarters of the Michigan State game.

If you want to feel confident, do watch Munford’s answers in the video at the top about his season (we never get young players Michigan week, so I quizzed him about his year before Maryland).

“It’s just a mindset we have and I have,” Munford said. “I have confidence in myself and my teammates.”

Munford, praised all last season for his work as a freshman backup, won the left tackle job when offensive line coach Greg Studrawa decided to keep senior captain Isaiah Prince at right tackle. That was no small decision. Munford, the Cincinnati native who finished his high school career at Massillon, was picked to protect the blind side of Dwayne Haskins, a pocket passer with elite throwing ability and limited mobility.

“I think he’s handled it pretty well," Prince said of Munford’s first year starting. “He definitely handled it better than when I was a first-year starter. He does a good job of following the leaders. ... He just observes and watches and just follows us and at times he will ask questions about how do we know certain things and stuff like that. How to improve.”

Munford left the Maryland game last week with a leg injury, but Urban Meyer said Tuesday that Munford is good to go. So the question is, “Who will be be blocking?” If Michigan All-American candidate Chase Winovich can play after suffering a head and neck injury last week, Munford will be dealing with one of the nation’s best defensive ends much of the day.

Michigan players told reporters in Ann Arbor this week they’re expecting Winovich on the field.

“You’d have to kill him to take him out,” said quarterback Shea Patterson, Winovich’s roommate. "I’m not sure on the progress yet, but he’s a tough guy.
Watch how Winovich, No. 15, can get in the backfield.

Ohio State starts three senior offensive linemen and a junior who’s a three-year starter. Munford is the kid, the guy with the least experience but the most upside. He’ll need it all Saturday.

He knows he didn’t play his best against Michigan State, the defense most similar to Michigan.

He’s also certain he can handle this.

With great natural size and athleticism at 6-foot-6 and 319 pounds, a belief in himself, and a quick and eager football mind that picked up the intricacies of the position last year when he came to Ohio State as the third-lowest ranked recruit in their Class of 2017, Munford will have a shot against Winovich.

How often he wins that battle may determine if Ohio State wins the game. It’s a tall order. He’ll take his first snap Saturday with no doubts.

“You’ve got to be tougher than the opponent,” Munford said. “You’ve gotta have the heart and the dog in you to fight.”

Last edited: