Sycamore Boycotting Moeller Hockey Team

Hockeyfan9

Sycamore boycotting the scheduled hockey game on Saturday vs. Moeller because apparently they recruit. This is comical if you ask me. What are your thoughts?

Moeller has 1000 students all gmc schools probably double that number, and my question is how has it been proven that Moeller is "recruiting"? If it is because Moeller has better quality sports teams and that causes the assumption that recruiting is taking place I would like it to be proven.

Sycamore boycotting the scheduled hockey game on Saturday vs. Moeller because apparently they recruit. This is comical if you ask me. What are your thoughts?

Why am I not supried a bunch of wimps from Sycamore would boycott Moeller. If you can't compete just boycott... :rolleyes:

GMC is absolutely despicable. What kind of lesson is this for the kids on the GMC teams. OHSAA has ruled there has been absolutely no wrong doing by any of the GCL south schools. Can the GMC say the same thing by all of their schools? Yet GMC ADs organize a boycott. I say it is time OHSAA steps in to investigate and punish GMC schools for collusion and violating sportsmanship and fair play.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

i love it. not a level playing field so why should you have play them?

I guess that is what you do when you can't beat them....I saw Sycamore play X yesterday. They have 2 kids that can play and are on the ice almost the entire game. Since they get so much ice time they coast and play with no intensity. X out hustled them to the puck for 3 periods....with play like that I'd forfeit too!

Sycamore is just laying down and being wimps. They don't have a good team this year, and since Moeller is the best team in the region this year (again), they don't want to get their butts kicked.

Moeller has 1000 students all gmc schools probably double that number, and my question is how has it been proven that Moeller is "recruiting"? If it is because Moeller has better quality sports teams and that causes the assumption that recruiting is taking place I would like it to be proven.

It is true that many of the GMC schools have 2000 students. However, most of the girls don't play hockey.

this whole subject is probably in the wrong thread because the whole notion of boycotting came from all the GMC football coaches and the AD's, then it basically sprinkled down to all sports.

and on my highlighted portion above..............can you really be that naive??? seriously???

Moeller is scheduled 2/3/12

I'm not sure what your definition of a "boycott" is, at least with hockey. Moeller left the SWOSHL 2 years ago. Moeller and Sycamore play in different tournaments over Thanksgiving and Adam Allgeyer Tournament Dec 9-11 in Columbus. They are scheduled to play February 3rd at 7 pm at the Sphere (SPortsPlus). Once again, without speaking facts, you run your mouth foolishly.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "boycott" is, at least with hockey. Moeller left the SWOSHL 2 years ago. Moeller and Sycamore play in different tournaments over Thanksgiving and Adam Allgeyer Tournament Dec 9-11 in Columbus. They are scheduled to play February 3rd at 7 pm at the Sphere (SPortsPlus). Once again, without speaking facts, you run your mouth foolishly.

well, when you get an email/memo from your AD telling your coaches to not schedule Moeller in any sport, i wouldn't call that "running my mouth foolishly", so get your facts straight before you start spewing ignorance yourself.

they obviously can't control if they both schedule themselves in a tournament and end up playing each other. the mandate came down from the AD and directed coaches who have the power to control their own OOC schedules to simply not schedule Moeller. this happened just a few weeks ago. if schedules were already set for this year/season, then there is no changing those games for now.

it's for the future.

Ummm.... Moeller was scheduled to play against Sycamore on December 3rd, but Sycamore cancelled that game and played Elder instead. And as far as the February 3rd game thats not right... Moeller's Athletic site has them playing against Olentangy Orange on February 3rd. Maybe your the one without facts

:Ohno: The old "if we can't beat em', its not fair"

I don't think that is a fair assessment of the ruling. Suffice it to say the decision was made after years of evidence and common sense. Do they stay in the "letter" of the law, perhaps they haven't been caught yet so we will give them that but they violate every possible angle they can to fill their teams with the biggest and most talented kids. Can't afford it? Magically the tuition disappears for the chosen few. After years of that, you create a team that is not on a level playing field with public schools that have enrollement determined by districts. How can it be a contest? How is that entertainment or sport? Same question of Louisville Trinity, they win KY State by 40-60 points annually, why even bother having that game? Until these men grow a conscience and try to win with coaching and the team that comes via normal enrollment, you can't blame the GMC for taking this step. Moeller is a disgrace to Catholic schools and have been for years.

The 'if you can't beat em, boycott em' thing is not something that I think applies here. My 2 cents has always been that public schools like sycamore have a bit of a disadvantage since their pool of players come from the confines of their own district. Private schools(traditionally, modeler in cincy) can get whomever they can convince to come attend their school. Public schools will have much more 'feast or famine' type seasons- using this specific example, there are years when sycamore can't touch moe, and there are other years when they are extremely competitive, even beating moe a few times. Sycamore's talent pool is derived from a defined geographic area, so until hockey becomes like little league baseball or soccer where everybody plays as a kid, they will continue to be up and down.
I can't speak to any 'recruiting'. I will say that when you have a track record of winning/dominating the sw corner of the state, it is much easier to get kids to come play for you. If st x., elder, etc can consistently win, perhaps the balance of power will change, and kids who would've had moe as their only option 15 yes ago will now have other choices.
Where it gets frustrating for public schools is when you see your private school competition having kids on their team from all over the city- something public schools just cannot do unless they go to a club status. As a youngster, I remember it being disastrous when classmates at sycamore would either go play aa/aaa, or make a commitment to moe before entering high school. If a program can't get those kids to play for their own school, then that's all on sycamore. Sometimes all we could do was hope and encourage our buddies to drop the aa/aaa route and come play for us. Maybe an expanded pre/post option for for the higher level travel kids could make private vs public balance more even.
Until public schools can make their programs more appealing through consistent winning (probably growing the talent pool through youth hockey), a disparity, and therefore animosity between public and private will be seen. I hope for the sake of the history of both programs that sycamore/moe match ups continue (this coming from a sycamore alumn).

I don't think that is a fair assessment of the ruling. Suffice it to say the decision was made after years of evidence and common sense. Do they stay in the "letter" of the law, perhaps they haven't been caught yet so we will give them that but they violate every possible angle they can to fill their teams with the biggest and most talented kids. Can't afford it? Magically the tuition disappears for the chosen few. After years of that, you create a team that is not on a level playing field with public schools that have enrollement determined by districts. How can it be a contest? How is that entertainment or sport? Same question of Louisville Trinity, they win KY State by 40-60 points annually, why even bother having that game? Until these men grow a conscience and try to win with coaching and the team that comes via normal enrollment, you can't blame the GMC for taking this step. Moeller is a disgrace to Catholic schools and have been for years.[/QUOTE]

Wow I don't think anyone at Elder admin is tauting that.......

Maybe it is because 2 of Talawandas best wrestlers are now at Moeller.

Your basing your opinion, on a hockey thread! b/c of wrestlers leaving.....I could see "maybe" if the 2 were SAY hockey players. News Flash......NOBODY recruits Talawanda kids, they all leave b/c the joke of administrators and AD's you all have over there, heck, how many HS coaches have they been through in the past 3 years in boys sports. They make their own kids a laughing stock to HS boys sports.

In short I'd think its the other way around. Kids beg there parents to go else where to have a positive high school sporting experience. After a quick web search of current sports records, Lets run through it from top to bottom....7/8football, 2 wins total!! 9th-2 wins, JV-1 win, Varsity 0-10 ..... BBALL to date , 7/8 basketball 2 wins total, 9th-1 win, varsity 2 wins......... How any boy want to play and put in the hard work is beyond me......They surely dont charge pay to play to those parents do they? Those are some darn good kids to stay through all that....cudos to them!!

Last edited:
Thats pretty stout xpert! Id probably have to agree if your research is correct,and from what I read about program year after year! Kinda was waiting on this Brock to respond to your comment,especially since he was accusing another program of recruiting! I ll throw this at you Brock,if there is a kid that can get it done at the big Moe as a fresh ,what would make you think he would want to stay at Talawanda???Lol!!! If your saying there recruiting because of that,you would have to accuse all the other schools of the same thing!There are kids from your district in several GCL schools,do your homework! Until things are different you ll continue to lose athletes,that also gets twice the education! Your hockey & baseball are keeping you above the water,but I believe you ll soon see those sports taking hit also!

Last edited:
Why is talawanda being thrown under the bus?? We know our football team is rough and bball is weak. And we obviously didn't boycott moeller, we played twice this year.. leave us alone!