SWOSHL all conference team

hockeepoor

the regular season is over, who's on your SWOSHL all league team? list your top 3 forwards, two defensemen and a goalie.......

fowards

mcclure - beavercreek
b. hoover - talawanda
mcdowell - moeller

defense

green - beavercreek
korst - moeller

goalie

dowler - talawanda

forwards
mcclure-beavercreek
ben hoover-talawanda
morgan- alter

defense
green- beavercreek
bell- STX

goalie

dowler- talawanda

In general, I would say that this is a very up year in terms of talent in the Swohs. There are a lot of good players. It is a shame you cant honor all of them, or get them on the same team. I would like to see a North/South all-star game. That's another thread.

In addition to the already mentioned, here are some worthy candidates or a second team if you prefer. Maybe this would work better as a poll.

Forwards-
Glass, Springboro
Kamp, St.X
Grombala, St.x
Smith, Moeller
Fitzpatrick, Moeller
Han, Moeller (Defense?)
Dukhart, Sycamore

Defense-
Two guys from Troy(?)
Swanson, Talawanda

Goalie-
Dann, Beavercreek
Yakuboff, St.X

This was off the top of my head.

for a second team i think that list is somewhat accurate but besides smith from moeller and dukhart from sycamore, there are more fowards who couldv had a shot at making the all league team who are better than most of those fowards u named. first off, a few things though. nate han for moeller does play defense. and jake swanson for talawanda plays foward. and the 2 guys from troy could be 2 of 3 good defensemen; jake or caleb rice, or adam kowalski.

i think a player your missing from the fowards is aaron huber from beavercreek. if not on the first team he def. deserves to be on second, and thats the same with drew hoover and zach phillips from tally.

and yes, although i think the south would completely dominate, it would be neat to have a north/south all-star game.

i dont know about dominate? the north and south are pretty much even with the exception of sprinboro... i would love to see a north vs south allstar game

An All-star Game would be interesting. I'll take the North with McClure-Huber-Denny-Morgan-Nolting-Murphy for a couple lines of fowards and Green-Rice-Seeger-Conway for Defense with Dann or Davis in goal. No, the South wouldn't dominate. There is a good third line in the North too Walker-Green-Trudeau. I believe three solid lines would provide consistent pressure that would eventually get to Dowler.

glass doesn't play for boro....shows how much you know about the SWOHSHL..who can take your list seriously?

I was thinking of #91 or maybe even #97 for Springboro (their best player). I've only seen one game and he was the only bright spot. He worked hard and created a lot of scoring chances with very little around him and not a whole lot to play for.

I could very easily be confusing some of the players I have seen with the names I have heard. There are a number of very good players in the league - that's all I was really driving at.

Not to high jack the thread, but for those of you that know so much more about the league than I do...why not finish out the list to the second and third tiers?

An All-star Game would be interesting. I'll take the North with McClure-Huber-Denny-Morgan-Nolting-Murphy for a couple lines of fowards and Green-Rice-Seeger-Conway for Defense with Dann or Davis in goal. No, the South wouldn't dominate. There is a good third line in the North too Walker-Green-Trudeau. I believe three solid lines would provide consistent pressure that would eventually get to Dowler.

u do have a point, but i still think that south would win. the north has better defense, but overall i think the south has better offense. either way yea u guys are probably right, it would be a close good game.

forwards
mcclure-beavercreek
ben hoover-talawanda
morgan- alter

defense
green- beavercreek
bell- STX

goalie

dowler- talawanda

2nd Team
Forwards-

Nolting- Alter
Huber- Beavercreek
McDowell- Moeller

Defense
Han- Moeller
Drew Hoover- Talawanda

goalie
Dann- Beavercreek

3rd Team
Forwards

Kidd- Talawanda
Trudeau- Troy
Dukart- Sycamore

Defense
J. Rice- Troy
Conway- Centerville

Goalie
Yakuboff- STX

By my count most of the "lists" did include Han, at the second or third tiers. Anyway, THE list has already come out. Han received 2nd Team All-league honors.

Last edited:
For the 2006-2007 SWOHSHL Season, as derived from all representative coaches in attendence, the All-Star selections are as follows:

1st TEAM ALL-STARS:

Forwards: Lee McLure (Beavercreek)
Drew Hoover (Talawanda)
Matt McDowell (Moeller)

Defense: Sam Bell (St.Xavier)
Mitch Green (Beavercreek)

Goal: Anthony Dann (Beavercreek)

2nd TEAM ALL-STARS

Forwards: Chris Nolting (Alter)
Daniel Dukart (Sycamore)
Colin Trudeau (Troy)
Jordan Kamp (St.Xavier)

Defense: Nate Han (Moeller)
Adam Kowalski (Troy)
Jay Morgan (Alter)

Goal: Allan Dowler (Talawanda)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-STARS:

Forwards: Jimmy Ross (Centerville)
J.W. Hanson (Springboro)
Ben Hoover (Talawanda)
Zach Phillips (Talawanda)
Jake Swanson (Talawanda)
Dan Kidd (Talawanda)
Jake Rice (Troy)
Drew Grombala (St.Xavier)
Mike Murphy (Beavercreek)
Aaron Huber (Beavercreek)
Daniel Conway (Centerville)
George Courtemanche (Moeller)
Eric Smith (Moeller)

Defense: Cory Allen (Centerville)
Dan Ashton (Sycamore)
Jon Korst (Moeller)

Goal: Daniel Rubin (Sycamore)

Agreed by all.

Meeting Adjourn 7:50pm

P.S. I apologize. Nate Han is on the Second Team.

Is this some kids Joke?

Sure looks like it with all the incorrect spelling..........
Not to mention it is really ridiculous when you compare the below supposed list from the "meeting" to the Stats on SWOSHL's site.
Also did they take into account the records of who has beaten the other in match ups?

Matt McDowell- Moeller does not even show up in the SWOSHL stats-how did he even rate 1st team? He should not have even been mentioned

For example the Hoover brothers- their stats one brother(Ben) has higher stats than the other(Drew) although everyone knows they are both awesome players.

It is clear (if this is a "true" list )that there is some bias on the voters parts.

How is it that the teams did not have representative placings based on their record and stats?

The goalie situation must have been skirted over. Dowler has beat Dann every match up. Daniel Rubin with a 4.25 GAA? Are you kidding. Honorable mention for what? being the worst GAA in the league? Sycamore has 3 kids mentioned and this is definitely not representative of the talent in SWOSHL.
These rankings are a huge deal in other sports/Obviously not a serious deal in hockey.

St X has no players on SWOSHL /yet they have a kid on the first team.
There are names on there that are appalling because who knows who they are? They were not even noteworthy enough to make the SWOSHL standings

I also feel some of the coaches would love to have some of the players(they did not vote for) ON their teams. Obviously they do not want to play against them and this is their "payback"

Did some of the coaches not show up to represent their team at the meeting?
Probably the same people that did the seeding for the Tournament.

Where these coaches drinking or what?

or the 2006-2007 SWOHSHL Season, as derived from all representative coaches in attendence, the All-Star selections are as follows:

1st TEAM ALL-STARS:

Forwards: Lee McLure (Beavercreek)
Drew Hoover (Talawanda)
Matt McDowell (Moeller)

Defense: Sam Bell (St.Xavier)
Mitch Green (Beavercreek)

Goal: Anthony Dann (Beavercreek)

2nd TEAM ALL-STARS

Forwards: Chris Nolting (Alter)
Daniel Dukart (Sycamore)
Colin Trudeau (Troy)
Jordan Kamp (St.Xavier)

Defense: Nate Han (Moeller)
Adam Kowalski (Troy)
Jay Morgan (Alter)

Goal: Allan Dowler (Talawanda)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-STARS:

Forwards: Jimmy Ross (Centerville)
J.W. Hanson (Springboro)
Ben Hoover (Talawanda)
Zach Phillips (Talawanda)
Jake Swanson (Talawanda)
Dan Kidd (Talawanda)
Jake Rice (Troy)
Drew Grombala (St.Xavier)
Mike Murphy (Beavercreek)
Aaron Huber (Beavercreek)
Daniel Conway (Centerville)
George Courtemanche (Moeller)
Eric Smith (Moeller)

Defense: Cory Allen (Centerville)
Dan Ashton (Sycamore)
Jon Korst (Moeller)

Goal: Daniel Rubin (Sycamore)

Agreed by all(while raising their beer mugs to each other)
Meeting Adjourn 7:50pm-the taxi took them all home

P.S. I apologize. Nate Han is on the Second

I think "it" is your head and it needs to be dug out of your -----.

It is up to every individual team to decide whether or not to send statistics to the SWOHSHL website. Some teams choose not to do so, others simply forget/don't make the effort.

You must be new to sports if you think that statistics directly correlate with skill and ability. Are you suggesting that is impossible for a bad team to have a good player(s). Daniel Rubin is a great goaltender and very deserving of this honor as a senior. Given the team he had playing in front of him, 4.25 GAA looks pretty good to me.

I think you are a minority in your opinions, judging by the rest of this thread. The list looks pretty consistent given what other posters thought. Two posters (hockeyplayer1 and Slapshot) with a clealy intimate knowledge of the league almost nailed it dead on.

I am guessing the one thing that is obvious about the list to almost everyone is that you weren't on it.

I disagree with much of this list. Taking nothing away from Anthony Dann, he is a great goaltender, but two years in a row, he has yet to win against Talawanda, and yet takes the first team...last year with a league record of 7-5 to Rooney's 10-1, and both years, having stats not as good as the talawanda goalies, which when comparing save percentage, the team in front of a goaltender means nothing....I don't want to go in to the other team rankings, but it does seem a little absurd with some of the other positions as well....

Oh sure...I probably would have had things differently as well. Its really a matter of preference regarding what qualities you value in a player.

I, mainly, took exception to digitup's tone. Regardless of the precise position (1st, 2nd or HM) within the list, I think its a pretty accurate representation of the best players in the league. Furthermore, I thought it a bit absurd to suggest that the coaches dont know who the best players are. It's not that big of a neighborhood. Surely some politics come into play when determining the final breakdown.

that is a great point, I completely agree with you there....looking at the complete list, I think that the 20 or so players listed on the 1st, 2nd, or HM list are an accurate representation of the best of the league, I just think that many people will disagree, when it comes down to it, the order they go in......regardless, the regular season is over, the tourny is over, and now its time to focus on state playoffs, and there is a good chance that talawanda and beavercreek will meet again in the semifinals, and knowing that talawanda has one or two injuries, i believe it will b another great matchup

Couple thoughts on that
1) I would say that Rooney and Dowler were both outstanding goalies in the past two seasons. I think in the Rooney/Dann comparison, Rooney had a really good team in front of him and Dann had to play a lot of tough hockey. I saw a lot less games this year, but I saw Dann rob a few games. Dowler played solid with a good offense in front of him. I think they both years could have gone either way.

2) Ben Hoover is a HM because he has a lot of PIM and a suspension on his record. It has a lot more to do with than just points.

3) Digit or whatever is a clown and totally clueless . . . did you watch a game?

digitout as everyone else already said, ur an idoit. and as for st.X's Sam Bell, do you really think a 1st team DEFENSEMAN would be on the goals or points list in swoshl? sure a foward should (there must have been some kind of mix-up or maybe the coach just never sent stats to swoshl, but im pretty sure that mcdowell would have been on the goals list). you really dont sound like you kno too much about the sport so here: you see, in ice hockey you dont need to have mass goals/assists to be an exceptional defenseman. you need to prevent the other team from scoring. thats why its called defense.

think though, which goalie had the better defense in front of him? dowler or dann? dann by far.
just so i wont repeat everything you guys already said, i also think dowler should have gotten 1st team.

and who on tallys squad is injured? how? when? i didnt hear about this/

Last edited:
as you just stated, yes the defense for dann was better, and it was the same with rooney, but to answer your question, i have heard that one player is coming back from a shoulder and wrist injury, not sure if he played last weekend or not, a defenseman has a hip injury, and another one of their players has injured his shoulder...this is all second hand so it may be blown out of proportion...I believe, however, they will all be able to play by this weekend so it may not be that big of a deal

i dont know any names, but i guess everyone was at practice the other day, so they all should be playing this weekend

I disagree with much of this list. Taking nothing away from Anthony Dann, he is a great goaltender, but two years in a row, he has yet to win against Talawanda, and yet takes the first team...last year with a league record of 7-5 to Rooney's 10-1, and both years, having stats not as good as the talawanda goalies, which when comparing save percentage, the team in front of a goaltender means nothing....I don't want to go in to the other team rankings, but it does seem a little absurd with some of the other positions as well....

I agree..........with Talawanda winning the SWOHSHL tournament, and the regular season, they should have had at least 3 players 1st and 2nd team, not second place Beavercreek.(?) Both Hoovers are first line on any team in the league. Where, but in the SWOHSHL, would coaches snub the kid who is possibly the leagues leading scorer? He may never have the "lady bing" on his shelf, but Ben Hoover is a 1st team forward in this league.....and Swanson deserves to be at least second team, he is the physical presence and the senior leader of the team that won the league. Also, take into consideration that Talawanda played Springboro only once, and that was before their implosion. How many of the league's leading scorers are there because their coaches ran up scores on Springboro?
If last year the justification for Dann (7-5) being first team over Rooney (10-1) was the fact that Beavercreek won the SWOHSHL tournament, what's the justification this year? Dowler has a higher save %, a lower GAA, a better winning % and more wins in the league, Talawanda won all three head to head match ups with Dann's Beavercreek team, two on neutral ice, and a big win @ Beavercreek, a game in which Beavercreek won every statistcal category except the score.
I guess Talawanda's coach Mole would have to be unanimous choice for SWOHSHL "Coach of the Year". He had inferior talent to Beavercreek(verifed by the all star selections), a lower seed in the districts, and yet Talawanda plays next week for a district championship....go figure....:soapbox:

blueliner, you couldn't have said it better....goes to show having 5 coaches to 4 in the north division might possibly have something to do with the voting, which has created enough controversy to be proven irrelavent to most of the players in the league....good luck to the honorable mention team and 2nd team goalie playing for the district championship

i can see where you guys are coming from, and to a certain extent i agree. but i also know this; just because your team doesnt make it as far as another team, doesnt (or it shouldnt) effect whether or not you are better than another player on another team, and shouldnt decide if you get 1st or 2nd team. these all-star teams are individual performance, not overall team performance. vice versa as well, your team can suck, but you could still be a 1st or 2nd team member if you are exceptional. im not dissagreeing with you guys (i do agree that dowler should have been ahead of dann. dann on first team was definately biased and picked by north coaches) but i dont think you should say that about everyone.

blueliner you sound like you have only seen talawanda games. i do agree that the hoovers are exceptional, and yes, both were deserving to be on 1st or 2nd team (personally i think ben shouldv gotten 1st and drew 2nd) but tallys other fowards are not better than other teams best fowards. mcclure, mcdowell, and nolting are all better than tallys fowards, excluding the hoovers.

honestly, besides a few small 2nd team foward changes, the only thing that i am shaking my head in disbeleif about, is dann beating dowler. otherwise, i think that list is fine. i dont see coach bias or 5 north coaches outvoting 4 south coaches anywhere, besides goaltending.

I think some people from the South are venting a frustration of lack of recognition. Look back to the beginning of this board, and last years board, no one gives Talawanda a chance, yet, let's go back 4 years:

3 years back - Co-Champions of SWOHSHL, District Champions
2 years back - down year, 3rd in SWOHSHL, District Quarterfinals
1 year back - SWOHSHL Regular season champoinship, District Semi Finals (20-4 record overall as well)
This year - SWOHSHL tourney and regular season champoinship, District Finals

They are 20-2 in the last two years of SWOHSHL

Dowler and Ben Hoover should have been 1st team, Swanson should have been 2nd. due to the crappy reporting of stats, it's up in the air who was the leading scorer . . . but remember Hoover did it with two less games. Coaches and officials don't like him, but he deserved that spot, they (and we) have no idea how he may behave in practice or with his team, they can't judge him as a person in that regard, it these teams are picked strictly on play he should have been there, the only reason he wasn't is because he played for Talawanda instead of a North team. Talawanda is the nappy step child that gets zero respect.