Boys Basketball SW District Game of the Week- Mason Wins Road Game at Springboro

This is the first of what will basically be a full story on a self-picked matchup from SW Ohio HS Hoops. Hope you enjoy it.

Mason Rallies Past Springboro
By Matt Goeller for Yappi.com

Two of the best in the Greater Miami Conference and Greater Western Ohio Conference met Tuesday night at Domino’s Gymnasium in Springboro as the Mason Comets visited the Springboro Panthers.

Ben Golan, the Comets’ 6’4” post tallied 27 points to lead Mason to a 69-63 come from behind victory.

Mason opened the 3rd quarter with a Matt Debrose hoop to take a 37-36 lead only to see Springboro’s 3-quarter court 1-3-1 zone press help them run off 12 straight points to go ahead 48-37.

The Comets rallied back a bit to close the quarter trailing 54-46.

Comets head coach Adam Toohey liked his team’s composure after the Panthers’ run.

“The kids are really connected. The are starting to believe in themselves and each other. That makes a lot of difference. We talk about wanting to be challenged. I think they responded to that fire very well. They hung tough, man.”

Springboro head man Brian Bales, in his first season after a successful tenure at neighboring Franklin was happy with his sqaud's press execution.

“We thought maybe our pressure could bother their guards. They had 11 turnovers in the first half. We wanted to speed up the game. So we did what we thought we needed to do to get up 12 there.”

Boro’s sophomore guard Jerome White opened the final stanza with a bucket to put the Panthers up 56-46 but that is where the situation turned. Over the next 6 minutes Mason forced Springboro into 8 turnovers in a span of 10 possessions. Senior Jack Ullom had 7 of his 17 points in that stretch as Mason rallied to a 57-56 lead. From there, the Panthers had just one bucket in a 3-minute span as the Comets forged a 67-58 lead with 1:42 to play.

“We couldn’t have scripted a game better for three quarters,” noted Bales. “They are a very good basketball team. They’re big, they’re strong. We knew (Alex)Koelling and (Matt) DeBrose hit 8-three’s in their first game, so we really tried to get them off the line. That was the poison we picked. We tried to front the post, but we couldn’t get around them. We have to get better at that. They are a matchup nightmare. Golan was great and Ullom is a horse. I’m beating myself up as a coach. I hurt for the kids. Msybe we should've come out of the press earlier. This one's on me. We’ve gotta learn how to win. But, It was a great non-league early test.”

“Very proud of our guys to keep fighting. Staying focused,” Toohey said. “It’s easy to fold when that stuff happens like it did early in the second half. We knew we had size on them. We knew we needed to throw it inside. That is one of our biggest strengths, big boys that can score in the paint. Ben Golan was a monster in the second half. Him, Jake Haley and Jack, we have three bigs and it's hard to beat us when you only have 2. Just a great win. I’ve known Brian a long time. I have a ton of respect for him. To win on the road against them is great. I am pumped for our guys.”

No more than 4 points separated the two teams through a frenetic first half, as Springboro’s Will Yates tallied 16 points to help the Panthers to a 36-35 halftime lead. RJ Greer supported Yates with 10 first half points.

Golan worked the paint for 13 at intermission while Koelling buried three-3 pointers.

Mason climbs to 2-0 and opens conference play at Colerain Friday night. Springboro drops to 1-1. The Panthers open GWOC play on the road Friday at Beavercreek

Boro’s freshman and JV teams topped the Comets early in the night. The frosh won 62-51 and the JV 52-38.

Writer’s note: My sincere thanks to Springboro A.D. Austin Rhoads for the accommodations and welcoming spirit of he and his staff.

Thanks for the write-up it is nice to see Yappi taking this avenue. Would love to see someone take charge for Central Ohio, NW Ohio, NEO and SE Ohio.

This is the first of what will basically be a full story on a self-picked matchup from SW Ohio HS Hoops. Hope you enjoy it.

Mason Rallies Past Springboro
By Matt Goeller for Yappi.com

Two of the best in the Greater Miami Conference and Greater Western Ohio Conference met Tuesday night at Domino’s Gymnasium in Springboro as the Mason Comets visited the Springboro Panthers.

Ben Golan, the Comets’ 6’4” post tallied 27 points to lead Mason to a 69-63 come from behind victory.

Mason opened the 3rd quarter with a Matt Debrose hoop to take a 37-36 lead only to see Springboro’s 3-quarter court 1-3-1 zone press help them run off 12 straight points to go ahead 48-37.

The Comets rallied back a bit to close the quarter trailing 54-46.

Comets head coach Adam Toohey liked his team’s composure after the Panthers’ run.

“The kids are really connected. The are starting to believe in themselves and each other. That makes a lot of difference. We talk about wanting to be challenged. I think they responded to that fire very well. They hung tough, man.”

Springboro head man Brian Bales, in his first season after a successful tenure at neighboring Franklin was happy with his sqaud's press execution.

“We thought maybe our pressure could bother their guards. They had 11 turnovers in the first half. We wanted to speed up the game. So we did what we thought we needed to do to get up 12 there.”

Boro’s sophomore guard Jerome White opened the final stanza with a bucket to put the Panthers up 56-46 but that is where the situation turned. Over the next 6 minutes Mason forced Springboro into 8 turnovers in a span of 10 possessions. Senior Jack Ullom had 7 of his 17 points in that stretch as Mason rallied to a 57-56 lead. From there, the Panthers had just one bucket in a 3-minute span as the Comets forged a 67-58 lead with 1:42 to play.

“We couldn’t have scripted a game better for three quarters,” noted Bales. “They are a very good basketball team. They’re big, they’re strong. We knew (Alex)Koelling and (Matt) DeBrose hit 8-three’s in their first game, so we really tried to get them off the line. That was the poison we picked. We tried to front the post, but we couldn’t get around them. We have to get better at that. They are a matchup nightmare. Golan was great and Ullom is a horse. I’m beating myself up as a coach. I hurt for the kids. Msybe we should've come out of the press earlier. This one's on me. We’ve gotta learn how to win. But, It was a great non-league early test.”

“Very proud of our guys to keep fighting. Staying focused,” Toohey said. “It’s easy to fold when that stuff happens like it did early in the second half. We knew we had size on them. We knew we needed to throw it inside. That is one of our biggest strengths, big boys that can score in the paint. Ben Golan was a monster in the second half. Him, Jake Haley and Jack, we have three bigs and it's hard to beat us when you only have 2. Just a great win. I’ve known Brian a long time. I have a ton of respect for him. To win on the road against them is great. I am pumped for our guys.”

No more than 4 points separated the two teams through a frenetic first half, as Springboro’s Will Yates tallied 16 points to help the Panthers to a 36-35 halftime lead. RJ Greer supported Yates with 10 first half points.

Golan worked the paint for 13 at intermission while Koelling buried three-3 pointers.

Mason climbs to 2-0 and opens conference play at Colerain Friday night. Springboro drops to 1-1. The Panthers open GWOC play on the road Friday at Beavercreek

Boro’s freshman and JV teams topped the Comets early in the night. The frosh won 62-51 and the JV 52-38.

Writer’s note: My sincere thanks to Springboro A.D. Austin Rhoads for the accommodations and welcoming spirit of he and his staff.
great article thanks !

Well done Matt--high school basketball used to be covered like this with articles in the local newspapers--quotes from both coaches and a well described game action, especially in the 2nd half. Keep up the good work.

Well done Matt--high school basketball used to be covered like this with articles in the local newspapers--quotes from both coaches and a well described game action, especially in the 2nd half. Keep up the good work.
Yep, exactly - really nice job.

Thank you Comet. I have been a freelance sportswriter for many years which may explain the style of writing you se here. For newspapers one always writes the story with the most pertinent information at the top and the less crucial information at the bottom. That way, if column space becomes smaller than anticipated due to a big story or unexpected advertising the important part of the story still appears in the paper. That is obviously not the situation here, but old dog, new trick. I do appreciate the kind remarks. I will be more conscious of the unlimited space. I am a member of the OHSAA Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association and I love interviewing coaches and kids. I will get some athlete interviews over the coming weeks.

Well done. Love the positivity, along with coach quotes, etc...
Thank you jdizzle. I love doing this and will always report the game not comment on it. There is enough time and space IMO granted to analyzing, tearing down etc. and I have participated in that process. But I am specifically avoiding that with these stories. The people who participate in hs sports do so for the sheer love of it. I am doing the same and hope it reflects in my reporting.

good writeup....would love to see more of this
You shall Wilbur and thank you. I will be out of the state during the week of the Dec 15th, but Yappi is allowing me to choose a game every other week during the season and post season. I am looking forward to it greatly.