Super Bowl Predictions and Discussion

So I want to dive into the perpetuated hatred of Patrick Mahomes?? Why??

Didn't we do this with Tom Brady? Why can't we just acknowledge greatness? Are we now going to have a deflate-gate controversy for Kansas City? Or Spy-gate? By all measurements and Information that I see, Patrick Mahomes is a great guy! He's not had any off field issues, he's very complimentary to his coach, teammates, fans. Why don't people like him? Because he wins??
Our sports society is kind of bad right now. We just relish in the negative and don't celebrate good things. I'm not a Chiefs fan, but that is a great franchise with a great coach and QB. With yesterday's win, Mahomes is putting himself right up there with the elites of all time.

Kelce and Mahomes are first entry hall of fame players. That doesn’t mean the officiating is. Last night the officiating hurt Mahomes and Kelce. We're talking about officiating instead of the great things both players did.

Rigged for who??? There is no advantage to the NFL if the Chiefs or Eagles win?? I simply do not understand that logic. Philadelphia is a much bigger market, probably as good or better sport town. Mahomes has won a SB, the Chiefs have been to 3 of the last 4. Who on earth would even claim that game was fixed?? If fans think that game was fixed they just need to stop watching sports.

Kelce and Mahomes are first entry hall of fame players. That doesn’t mean the officiating is. Last night the officiating hurt Mahomes and Kelce. We're talking about officiating instead of the great things both players did.
No you're talking about officiating. I watched a great game last night, the Eagles dominated the first half and the Chiefs the 2nd.

Didn't we do this with Tom Brady? Why can't we just acknowledge greatness? Are we now going to have a deflate-gate controversy for Kansas City? Or Spy-gate? By all measurements and Information that I see, Patrick Mahomes is a great guy! He's not had any off field issues, he's very complimentary to his coach, teammates, fans. Why don't people like him? Because he wins??
Our sports society is kind of bad right now. We just relish in the negative and don't celebrate good things. I'm not a Chiefs fan, but that is a great franchise with a great coach and QB. With yesterday's win, Mahomes is putting himself right up there with the elites of all time.
I haven’t seen anyone hating on Patrick Mahomes. Where are you seeing that?

People are just saying that the Chiefs are good enough that they don’t need the refs’ help in big games. You can at least see that he’s the NFL’s most marketable player and that, all things being equal, it works to the league’s benefit to have him winning as much as possible for now, right?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I agree. I hated when the announcers said you don't call it. It's a freaking penalty that you call no matter how much time is left.
I think the Eagles got away with that 3rd and long play. The dude bobbled it when he was hit and only got one foot down IMHO.
Also when KC player #10 got hit and they went to commercial, the Eagles player speared (He was looking at the ground, not the chest!) him in the chest. That's a penalty too IMHO.

I just watched the game as a Bengals fan with a who cares attitude about who won it.
The commercials were a lot better than last year as well, but they have a thread on that already.
Disagree here. That crew threw something like the 2nd or 3rd most flags in the league this season. They were clearly instructed to let the guys play last night, as there weren't many flags outside of pre-snap penalties.

There was nothing egregious on that play to warrant a flag. Had they been throwing flags similar to that all game, then sure there wouldn't be as much backlash. I'm sure you could go back and watch the entire game, see multiple times a player get grabbed like that and no flag is thrown. The timing of it and it completely taking the ball out of the Eagles hands to potentially tie or win the game only compounds it being a bad call.

I'll disagree on the Goedert catch, it was extremely close. But the Eagles had another really close one by Smith taken off the board, so wash there IMO.

I'll also disagree on the "spear." Big hit, wasn't high, dropped the head sure but this isn't college.

Today's sports narratives....

• We don't blame the participants in the game if our team wins or loses, we blame the officials. There was 125 plays in last night's game, yet many are focusing on one play, and saying the officials are awful. It was a hold. Even the Eagles DB said so.
  • Everyone is disrespected? The Chiefs were being considered slight underdogs, alot due to Mahomes ankle injury. But the Chiefs got so much praise all season long, where is being disrespected coming from?
IMO, that was a top 10 super bowl last night. The Eagles DOMINATED the first half, and even gave the Chiefs a score. Up 24-10 at half. The Chiefs when right down the field and scored to start the second half, Mahomes looked like a new man.
Eagles responded with a score, Chiefs got two more to take the lead - and how open were those guys???
Biggest plays of the game - the fumble return for TD, and the 60 yard punt return.
Obviously the Eagles defense was like Swiss cheese in the 2nd half. They couldn't get a stop, that field didn't help their pass rush at all. But you can still recognize that the officials essentially ended the game on a 50-50 call. Both things can be true.

Was a great Super Bowl until the end. The way it ended turned off a lot of fans and leaves more questions in regards to officiating. With the league pushing the gambling angle more and more, it's not good look for the integrity of the league to keep giving marginal calls (or no calls) to one team. Also not a good look when Goodell is celebrating with players like he's a member of their team.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen anyone hating on Patrick Mahomes. Where are you seeing that?

People are just saying that the Chiefs are good enough that they don’t need the refs’ help in big games. You can at least see that he’s the NFL’s most marketable player and that, all things being equal, it works to the league’s benefit to have him winning as much as possible for now, right?

C'mon now AEW, I agree with you on alot of things, but do you honestly think the NFL, THE N-F-L is going to "want" to have a team win? They win everyday! Good heaves it's alot more that this. That's so shallow way of thinking.

Obviously the Eagles defense was like Swiss cheese in the 2nd half. They couldn't get a stop, that field didn't help their pass rush at all. But you can still recognize that the officials essentially ended the game on a 50-50 call. Both things can be true.

Was a great Super Bowl until the end. The way it ended turned off a lot of fans and leaves more questions in regards to officiating. With the league pushing the gambling angle more and more, it's not good look for the integrity of the league to keep giving marginal calls (or no calls) to one team. Also not a good look when Goodell is celebrating with players like he's a member of their team.
50-50??? He grabbed the guy??? He said he grabbed the guy and hoped he could get away with it???
I have no questions on the officiating. I just get so mad when people blame officials for outcomes of games. If the officials don't call obvious penalties, it's the same as fixing the game another way.
So if Goddell celebrates with the Eagles if they win, it's bad too? He's not going to celebrate with the loser. Like I said WAY too many people looking WAY too hard at this.

No and no.
Rihanna is a modern legend; she’ll be looked at as a legend as the years continue to pass and her primary audience ages more. Her catalogue of big hits cements that.

Last night wasn’t a particularly great performance, but I’ll chalk that up to her being pregnant. The song choices were on point, though.

C'mon now AEW, I agree with you on alot of things, but do you honestly think the NFL, THE N-F-L is going to "want" to have a team win? They win everyday! Good heaves it's alot more that this. That's so shallow way of thinking.
Do I think they want their biggest star to accumulate a great resume? Yes, absolutely.

Do I think the NFL is instructing the refs to help the Chiefs? No.

Do I think refs can get caught up in the moment and subconsciously make calls based on their knowledge of teams’ and players’ reputations? Yes.

Like it or not, big names like Mahomes and Burrow are more likely to draw in more casual fans to watch, just like Brady and Manning did. It would not surprise me at all if the league office silently (or not-so-silently, like Goodell last night) celebrates when Mahomes wins.

What happened to the Eagle pass rush? no sacks? couldn't stop the run- 158yds? Their defensive coordinator had a bad plan

What happened to the Eagle pass rush? no sacks? couldn't stop the run- 158yds? Their defensive coordinator had a bad plan
KC has a very good oline, there is a reason why the Chiefs spent big money on Thuney and Brown and let Hill go. With the rules benefitting offenses, build a good oline a competent QB and a team will win a lot of games.

Rihanna is a modern legend; she’ll be looked at as a legend as the years continue to pass and her primary audience ages more. Her catalogue of big hits cements that.

Last night wasn’t a particularly great performance, but I’ll chalk that up to her being pregnant. The song choices were on point, though.

No.

FYI in the sports marketing world there was much more business to be had if the Eagles were to have won. Not only is Phila a bigger market but it is sports crazy and the Eagles are a big part of their landscape as an old school NFL team. If a SB were to be fixed for the NFL to leverage $s these would be the teams in order of preference:
  • Cowboys
  • Raiders
  • Bears
  • Eagles
  • Bills
The NY & LA teams do not have a hyper loyal following like the above and even though LA is the 2nd biggest market the Rams win was a clunker LY. Actually the Browns & Lions are just outside of the top 5 as NFL teams that have been around for more than 75 years that have not been in the SB let alone won it, plenty of pent up demand in classic blue collar football markets.

Like I said last night, anyone who hangs out in the Debate Forum is in the demo most likely to dislike any halftime show not featuring a senior citizen-filled rock band.

I like Mahomes. Brady was a cocky prik.

FYI in the sports marketing world there was much more business to be had if the Eagles were to have won. Not only is Phila a bigger market but it is sports crazy and the Eagles are a big part of their landscape as an old school NFL team. If a SB were to be fixed for the NFL to leverage $s these would be the teams in order of preference:
  • Cowboys
  • Raiders
  • Bears
  • Eagles
  • Bills
The NY & LA teams do not have a hyper loyal following like the above and even though LA is the 2nd biggest market the Rams win was a clunker LY. Actually the Browns & Lions are just outside of the top 5 as NFL teams that have been around for more than 75 years that have not been in the SB let alone won it, plenty of pent up demand in classic blue collar football markets.

The Bills in a #49th ranked Buffalo metro market 5th on this list is quite surprising. Yes the have a solid regional fan base but I do not believe they are anywhere near Pittsburgh, Green Bay or KC on a national level. Maybe I’m wrong.

Do I think they want their biggest star to accumulate a great resume? Yes, absolutely.

Do I think the NFL is instructing the refs to help the Chiefs? No.

Do I think refs can get caught up in the moment and subconsciously make calls based on their knowledge of teams’ and players’ reputations? Yes.

Like it or not, big names like Mahomes and Burrow are more likely to draw in more casual fans to watch, just like Brady and Manning did. It would not surprise me at all if the league office silently (or not-so-silently, like Goodell last night) celebrates when Mahomes wins.

I think that's a bunch of hogwash (respectively). If the league was on the take, you'd see the Cowboys, the Giants, the Jets, the Rams, Raiders etc. in the super bowls. The NFL is great because the small markets can compete, and by NFL standards, KC is small potatoes.
Now, here's my theory....the Browns and Bengals have got knocked out of the playoffs by the Chiefs recently and so I do expect in this area, people are going to be bitter about Mahomes and the Chiefs. Now, my team - the Titans - have got knocked out by the Chiefs also, but I must be a little more levelheaded when it comes to sports. I don't blame the officials or the league for goodness sake when my team loses. Mahomes is great, Reid is great and the Chiefs have a great thing going. Why is that a bad thing?
Mahomes was a virtual unknown coming out of Texas Tech, no one saw this coming. And yes, Mahomes is black and marketers jumped on the opportunity to market him. Heck, Baker Mayfield markets all kinds of stuff, do you think the Browns got some calls because of it? No.

I like Mahomes. Brady was a cocky prik.
TB's the best ever, we'll never see another QB win as much as he did. One of the biggest winners in modern team sports. But again this was a guy who's coach Belichick, was in Cleveland and there was this deep hatred for Belichick and anything he was about. Now Brady also went to MIchigan so that's a strike against him in Ohio.

TB's the best ever, we'll never see another QB win as much as he did. One of the biggest winners in modern team sports. But again this was a guy who's coach Belichick, was in Cleveland and there was this deep hatred for Belichick and anything he was about. Now Brady also went to MIchigan so that's a strike against him in Ohio.
Don’t say never. With the continued rules changes to make it easier on QBs it’s possible, though not likely, Mahomes…or some other QB who might even still be in grade school somewhere…could match Brady’s accomplishments.

Disagree here. That crew threw something like the 2nd or 3rd most flags in the league this season. They were clearly instructed to let the guys play last night, as there weren't many flags outside of pre-snap penalties.

There was nothing egregious on that play to warrant a flag. Had they been throwing flags similar to that all game, then sure there wouldn't be as much backlash. I'm sure you could go back and watch the entire game, see multiple times a player get grabbed like that and no flag is thrown. The timing of it and it completely taking the ball out of the Eagles hands to potentially tie or win the game only compounds it being a bad call.

I'll disagree on the Goedert catch, it was extremely close. But the Eagles had another really close one by Smith taken off the board, so wash there IMO.

I'll also disagree on the "spear." Big hit, wasn't high, dropped the head sure but this isn't college.
Well we can agree to disagree. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Don’t say never. With the continued rules changes to make it easier on QBs it’s possible, though not likely, Mahomes…or some other QB who might even still be in grade school somewhere…could match Brady’s accomplishments.
Making it easier isn't the point. It's the financial structure of the league now. Brady/ Belichick went through about 3=4 rebuilds with the Patriots. Tom took less money so the team could pay enough talent to stay competitive. And outside of Randy Moss for one year and Gronk, TB didn't have huge stars in the skill positions. It was a team built on defense, ball control and Tom making enough plays.