Summit County Football Chat- 2021

Historically, Brush has been a pretty average team, usually around .500. They've had some ugly years and some better years but generally they are around .500 as I recall. A DVI team beating an average DII team is still an accomplishment.

Who are the top QBs and RBs to watch in Summit County.

It seems it's been a while since a player in the area really gained traction as a top HS player and college recruit. Not sure if it is the lack of reporting on specific players or the area just hasn't had that top notch player these last few years.

I know Lamar Sperling for Hoban at RB (watched him in 7th grade and he was a sure-shot back then...what could have been...OK, lets not go down that road :))

Who else is on the radar for Mr Football or high level DI prospects at these two positions?

This is the week for St.V to put it all together. 2-2 Sanduski is a very winnable game. After that, holy cow does it get rough. Harding, who played Massillon to the finish, losing 49-46, A very much improved 3-1Ursuline, whose only loss is to #1 Chardon, Hoban, Bishop Hartley, then finish with Walsh. After this week, I don’t know that they’e a favorite, in any of the rest. Go Irish !

This is the week for St.V to put it all together. 2-2 Sanduski is a very winnable game. After that, holy cow does it get rough. Harding, who played Massillon to the finish, losing 49-46, A very much improved 3-1Ursuline, whose only loss is to #1 Chardon, Hoban, Bishop Hartley, then finish with Walsh. After this week, I don’t know that they’e a favorite, in any of the rest. Go Irish !
Are you sure they play Chardon?

You forgot Harding which will be no walkover.

Who are the top QBs and RBs to watch in Summit County.

It seems it's been a while since a player in the area really gained traction as a top HS player and college recruit. Not sure if it is the lack of reporting on specific players or the area just hasn't had that top notch player these last few years.

I know Lamar Sperling for Hoban at RB (watched him in 7th grade and he was a sure-shot back then...what could have been...OK, lets not go down that road :))

Who else is on the radar for Mr Football or high level DI prospects at these two positions?

I don't know that there's anybody on that level this year. Lots of solid players like Sperling at Hoban, Bainbridge at Stow and Lal at Hudson (Air Force) but no one who's a top D1 P5 type or Mr. Football contender, at least at QB or RB.

Post the leading rushers, passers, and receivers from any Summit County schools. I'll keep the list in this post. I still feel like we are overlooking some kids that deserve more attention...

Based on yards - team leaders - may add others who have significant yards

Passing

1128 Ty Hurst (70/113/12TD/2INT) - Tallmadge
987 Mark Wilson (81/124/11TD/3INT) - Nordonia
693 Jagger Pallay (43/78/6TD/1INT) - Hudson
433 Trevor Horvath (27/66/2TD/2INT) - Twinsburg
342 Trent Pappas (18/37/4TD/2INT) - Manchester
311 Joe Lehner (20/35/4TD/1INT) - CVCA
164 Brayden Clark (7/19/3TD) - Coventry

Rushing
622 Aiden Lal (83/622/7.5/9TD) - Hudson
550 Kyle Snider (75/550/7.3/7TD) - CVCA
338 Jackson Summers (44/338/7.7/2TD) - Manchester
246 Quincy Newsom (71/246/3.5) - Twinsburg
244 Bryan Russ (50/244/4.9/2TD) - Nordonia
236 Brady Watson (37/236/6.4/1TD) - Coventry
190 Cole Thomas (41/190/4.6/3TD) - Tallmadge

Receiving
495 Collin Dixon (24/495/20.6/5TD) - Tallmadge
385 Cooper Rusk (32/385/12.0/2TD) - Nordonia
369 Colin Pierce (14/369/26.4/4TD) - Hudson
147 Kenton Duty (4/147/36.8/2TD) - Manchester
131 Steven Cammack (5/131) - Twinsburg
96 Brennan Darr (5/96/19.2/3TD) - CVCA
91 Brady Watson (5/91/19.2/1TD) - Coventry

Found Stats:
Tallmadge
Hudson
Manchester
CVCA
Coventry
Nordonia
Twinsburg

Not Found:
Stow
Hoban
Barberton
Copley
Mogadore
Norton
Revere
Cuyahoga Falls
Ellet
Woodridge
Walsh
Green
St Vincent-St Mary
Buchtel
Firestone
Kenmore-Garfield
Akron North
Akron East
Springfield

Last edited:
Post the leading rushers, passers, and receivers from any Summit County schools. I'll keep the list in this post. I still feel like we are overlooking some kids that deserve more attention...

Based on yards - team leaders - may add others who have significant yards

Passing

1128 Ty Hurst (70/113/12TD/2INT) - Tallmadge
693 Jagger Pallay (43/78/6TD/1INT) - Hudson
342 Trent Pappas (18/37/4TD/2INT) - Manchester
311 Joe Lehner (20/35/4TD/1INT) - CVCA
164 Brayden Clark (7/19/3TD) - Coventry

Rushing
622 Aiden Lal (83/622/7.5/9TD) - Hudson
550 Kyle Snider (75/550/7.3/7TD) - CVCA
338 Jackson Summers (44/338/7.7/2TD) - Manchester
236 Brady Watson (37/236/6.4/1TD) - Coventry
190 Cole Thomas (41/190/4.6/3TD) - Tallmadge

Receiving
495 Collin Dixon (24/495/20.6/5TD) - Tallmadge
369 Colin Pierce (14/369/26.4/4TD) - Hudson
147 Kenton Duty (4/147/36.8/2TD) - Manchester
96 Brennan Darr (5/96/19.2/3TD) - CVCA
91 Brady Watson (5/91/19.2/1TD) - Coventry

Found Stats:
Tallmadge
Hudson
Manchester
CVCA
Coventry

Not Found:
Stow
Hoban
Barberton
Copley
Mogadore
Norton
Revere
Cuyahoga Falls
Ellet
Woodridge
Nordonia in Cuyahoga County now.

I had to laugh when I saw Mogadore beat Brush. They have had maybe five seasons above 500 in the last 20 years or so. They are a terrible program that always has a few athletes. From what I understand they went independent because they did not even want to play in the western reserve conference anymore.Give Mogadore a lot of credit for the win but at the same time it was Brush. also, can anyone enlighten me on the Akron city series that is just terrible football anymore… Not one decent team in the league… What gives? Does anyone have any insight?

I had to laugh when I saw Mogadore beat Brush. They have had maybe five seasons above 500 in the last 20 years or so. They are a terrible program that always has a few athletes. From what I understand they went independent because they did not even want to play in the western reserve conference anymore.Give Mogadore a lot of credit for the win but at the same time it was Brush. also, can anyone enlighten me on the Akron city series that is just terrible football anymore… Not one decent team in the league… What gives? Does anyone have any insight?
Brush is 3-1 this year; 2-3 last year; 0-10 in 2019; 4-6 in 2018; 8-2 in 2017.

As for the City Series, there are any number for reasons for the slide. Football has lost its importance to kids in the inner city; top kids are heading to the privates; population is down... Heck, if some of the high schools could just keep the kids that grew up in their youth programs they could be decent.

They also need to consolidate even more. No need for six high schools. Canton while smaller has only one.
That's not always the solution for better teams. As I have said on here a number of times, combining two piles of dog **** only results in a bigger pile of dog ****. Some people thought combining Garfield and Kenmore would result of better teams while in reality it just moves them up a division or two where they're not competitive. Don't get me wrong, consolidation can save money but it doesn't result in better teams and doesn't often result in a better education. Canton's teams and programs are certainly not better.

I'm afraid that Akron is going to continue down this path of not being competitive. There seem to be some glimmers of hope but those often fade away quickly. The population is too transitory now. People move quickly to perceived better opportunities. The old system of enrollment based divisions will doom those that lose more talent than they gain.

Thank you everyone for all your points and they are well taken. When I recruited Akron years ago they were always at least 20 to 25 division one football players at all the schools. I would say today you might have four or five at best… The talent level is really down and I’ve also noticed the coaching is not nearly as good as it used to be. I’ve watched a little bit of City football this year and the players can’t even line up properly in a lot of situations. There are no McGees, Flossies, Yost, or Powers on the sidelines these days…sad. I remember going down to the rubber bowl in the old days and There were great crowds and solid football.

I'm afraid that Akron is going to continue down this path of not being competitive. There seem to be some glimmers of hope but those often fade away quickly. The population is too transitory now. People move quickly to perceived better opportunities. The old system of enrollment based divisions will doom those that lose more talent than they gain.

I don't know, remember a few years ago I believe Kenmore hired a coach who was a Akron fire or policeman and got them competitive pretty quick. He was let go because APS decided that all supplemental contracts stayed in house. That coach wasn't retained and they went back to being bad. There are football players walking those halls. That decision sank Kenmore. Sad, sad sad. If I am incorrect about the APS school someone correct me. Probably 2010-2013 if I remember.

It seems that the pattern has been to hire locals that were great players in the city That have little or no real coaching experience.Just because you are a great player does not mean that you can Coach. The one game I watched for a half was like a circus it reminded me of youth football and they seemed to have as many coaches as players.

Ed Peltz was at Kenmore around 10 years ago and started to bring the program around as did Gotto. There are some well-intentioned and dedicated guys coaching in Akron but the challenges are far different than when we were kids.

Clark,was not questioning their intentions, I respect anyone that spends time with young people to be clear.Ed is a blast from the past know him well.

Clark,was not questioning their intentions, I respect anyone that spends time with young people to be clear.Ed is a blast from the past know him well.
No Stow, that's not how I took your comments. I was just making a general statement. ?

Last edited: