Summer Olympics

I must be naive, not ever heard any GOAT discussions in women's gymnastics, or men's gymnastics or basically any Olympic sport. The only GOAT discussions center in the NBA and the NFL.
It's there if you look for it. A quick google search yielded some results. But clearly it's a niche conversation that is dwarfed by NBA/NFL popularity/coverage.

Incredible on social media how many are actually defending Biles??? She quit on her team when they needed her most??? And she wasn't even hurt!!!

I think Covid has corrupted people's brains.

Incredible on social media how many are actually defending Biles??? She quit on her team when they needed her most??? And she wasn't even hurt!!!

I'm confused. Was she actually injured at any point?

She wasn't her best - she actually helped the team by withdrawing when she did. If she pushed on, it's possible the team might not have won any medals. That, and she could have really hurt herself.

On the flip side there are many in Japan that are beating up Osaka on social media and wondering why she was chosen to light the Olympic flame. And no way would a Chinese athlete quit before the big comp for mental issues, they would be working in a factory in Shanghai making vacuums for the rest of their life if they tried that sheet.

Agree to disagree. Whether you like her or not, Biles is essentially re-writing the current book on gymnastics. She has four skills named after her on floor, beam and vault. The whole GOAT debate between her and Comaneci is similar to the Jordan/James debate, IMO. It's likely generational, and intensely subjective. But, yes - people will inevitably whine about her withdrawal due to mental health concerns.

"No mas' kind of hurts your chances, at least consider it. Physical and technical skills aren't what put Jordan, TheBron or any of the others in the Goat discussion. Brady doesn't have the most physcial or technical skills. Patton didn't. Will power during adversity is what makes the GOAT.

"No mas' kind of hurts your chances, at least consider it. Physical and technical skills aren't what put Jordan, TheBron or any of the others in the Goat discussion. Brady doesn't have the most physcial or technical skills. Patton didn't. Will power during adversity is what makes the GOAT.
Ah, but I said 'similar' debate, not the same. And it does vary from sport to sport, and discipline to discipline, I agree.

I must be naive, not ever heard any GOAT discussions in women's gymnastics, or men's gymnastics or basically any Olympic sport. The only GOAT discussions center in the NBA and the NFL.
Part of the problem is when you self gloss the term and wear gear to meets with a Goat logo. You really turn off folks, especially those that came before and basically have a similar level of success. Does Tom Brady wear a Goat jackets to a game?

Now my daughter says there is a rumor going that she is going to do a similar deal for the all around comp in a couple days. She is going to show up and try a vault to see how it goes, if she sticks it on she goes and with a win writes a Hollywood like story and is the darling of the games. If she stinks it up she pulls out and plays every sympathy card in the deck. It's a no lose situation and has everyone talking about her.

Ah, but I said 'similar' debate, not the same. And it does vary from sport to sport, and discipline to discipline, I agree.

I can't put her in any other category but the one with Roberto Duran. Fear of failure seems to have conquered her. She'd rather be last by choice than perform and not be first. That's not the GOAT of anything in my book. I'd rather go down in flames with my team than up in glory by myself. And I'm noones GOAT.

Part of the problem is when you self gloss the term and wear gear to meets with a Goat logo. You really turn off folks, especially those that came before and basically have a similar level of success. Does Tom Brady wear a Goat jackets to a game?

Now my daughter says there is a rumor going that she is going to do a similar deal for the all around comp in a couple days. She is going to show up and try a vault to see how it goes, if she sticks it on she goes and with a win writes a Hollywood like story and is the darling of the games. If she stinks it up she pulls out and plays every sympathy card in the deck. It's a no lose situation and has everyone talking about her.
Does anyone feel great when they lose? This is were we are at with sports now that we have athletes who feel that "mental illness" is just a form of dealing with losing. This is called growing up people. All of us had that big game in little league, or jr. high or high school where we made a big error, or missed the game winning shot. You deal with it. Now Biles is way, way beyond that as she's had oodles and oodles of success for years. In fact this Olympics isn't really that big of deal for her "legacy".

But not all is bad for the USA. The women's volleyball team stunned #1 ranked China in straight sets today. UC Bearcat and hard-hitting opposite Jordan Thompson tallied an incredible 34 points – the most of any player, male or female, scored in a match at the Tokyo Games thus far – to help Team USA improve to 2-0, while China fell to a surprising if not shocking 0-2.

I can't put her in any other category but the one with Roberto Duran. Fear of failure conquered her. She'd rather be last by choce than perform and not be first. That's not the GOAT of anything in my book.
Fair enough. I just know what my eyes tell me. Your eyes are allowed to tell you something else. I only referenced the GOAT term in this context as I was responding to the OP's previous mention of it.

From what I've gathered, she wanted to get her "head straight". Does not appear to be any kind of physical injury.
MSM thinking along those same lines? Interesting how reports are listing her reason as "a medical condition". Very subtle.

Last edited:
Not sure why this is confusing? Biles literally said it was a mental issue.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see her comments until afterward. Never said it was confusing, just that the same thing was being alluded to earlier by the media in a more subtle fashion. It's all about reading those news reports in between the lines. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see her comments until afterward. Never said it was confusing, just that the same thing was being alluded to earlier by the media in a more subtle fashion. It's all about reading those news reports in between the lines. ;)
Got it! I just saw her comments as well after all the juicy speculation.

I'm an ex wrestler...so I'm going to be harsh. She quit...plain & simple. Thats her business. BUT, and its a big BUT, if you quit on the biggest stage in your sport, you will forever be remembered as a quitter, irrespective of whatever your accomplishment were. Wouldn't want her on my team. How's that for harsh honesty...

I'm an ex wrestler...so I'm going to be harsh. She quit...plain & simple. Thats her business. BUT, and its a big BUT, if you quit on the biggest stage in your sport, you will forever be remembered as a quitter, irrespective of whatever your accomplishment were. Wouldn't want her on my team. How's that for harsh honesty...
Wonder how different it her mindset might’ve been had she not been sexually assaulted...and then had USA Gymnastics cover it up?

She was essentially abandoned as an infant by an unfit mother and ended up in foster care. Her family was then split up among relatives who took them in. She spent her formative years in exhaustive training rather than growing up in normal surroundings. During that, she was sexually abused by Larry Nasser. She's done things in gymnastics no one else done, let alone tried. She's led the team for years now, never coming up short. GOAT or not, I'll give her a pass.

You wanna talk about pressure...REAL pressure. Ask a veteran combat soldier if in the heat of battle after just watching a buddy lose his face if he'd be just a little bit more upset when the guy next to him in the foxhole turned around and ran leaving him & crew to fend for themselves. You think any of them would give a rat's behind whether that poor coward was sexually abused when he was 14. Get over it...your there to do your job!
Yea, I'm tired of abuse excuses...This is the freakin Olympics for crying out loud! Not Mamma's Home school for the sad and disenfranchised.

war and gymnastics aren’t really relatable...don’t think she ever used it as an excuse but many victims deal with the emotional pain the rest of their life. Are you inferring they should be stronger and just get over the event?

Personally, I think it’s healthy to stop thinking about the horrors of combat for a few weeks and enjoy sports instead.

Now, about that rumor where the entire Jamaican team has just tested positive for marijuana …

Ideas get planted. I would wonder if Osaka "quitting" so easily and all the sympathy she got, didn't make it just a bit easier for Biles to quit. And maybe even just be the first act in an orchestrated movie of the week come-back in the individuals. I hope she is done for the Olympics. That would at least take away any potential for stink.
Wonder how different it her mindset might’ve been had she not been sexually assaulted...and then had USA Gymnastics cover it up?

Which all occurred before the last Olympics, no? That's right, one can only wonder how it changed her mindset but it was there when she became the "GOAT" so shouldn't it still be the mindset that succeeds, not quits? As well isn't it fair to wonder if that's not what drove her to succeed in the first place? Tragedy can do that, we've seen it time and again. And none of that goes away.

Does that mean she is done, defeated because no one recovers from that in a day or two? Or does she miraculously recover and go for (as others have predicted) that movie story of coming back and winning her individuals? I can't even put an "at best" and "at worst" on this. She quit on her team because one can presume by what she says is the pressure she feels representing her country, hence quit on her country and then did it to magnify glory later?

Here's an "at best," her focus was messed up buying into the media attention. GOATs handle that. Can you imagine the pressure on some of the former Soviet gymnists? NBC is nothing.

Everyone has a story. Lawyers love to bring them out at sentencing. I imagine the good doctor has a story. You either perform or you don't. As utsherman said, each through their own eyes. Her first exercise was poor, she quit on the team.

Last edited:
war and gymnastics aren’t really relatable...don’t think she ever used it as an excuse but many victims deal with the emotional pain the rest of their life. Are you inferring they should be stronger and just get over the event?
Yup.

they most certainly are. Sports is training for war. Sports is emulation of war. It's the potential consequences that are not (generally) relatable.

did anyone see what the females wear while riding bikes. damn they have to have some serious chaffing.

jtk
i guess it was technically riding bikes for the triathalon. so the biking is after swimming. and some swim in bikinis and don't change. sorry for sport confusion.

jtk
()