SUBURBAN LEAGUE- NATIONAL

OSU_FB11

Here's how I see the Suburban League's National Conference shaping up this season after talking with people and coaches in the know.

• 1) Brecksville-Broadview Hts: Led by Junior PG/SG Luke Skaljac who has received more than a dozen D-1 offers this summer (highlighted by Ohio Univ & Kent) and 6’8” senior big man Chase Gurito, the Bees and veteran Coach Steve Mehalik return a core of talent capable of not only winning the Suburban League but also going deep into March. Eli Skaljac, Jeremiah Michael and Stanford football commit Matt Rose have all graduated but look for sophomore wing Brady Ganley to fill the that void as he shot 46 percent from beyond the arc as a 9th grader. This is as disciplined a team as you will find in Northeast Ohio as highlighted during their Feb 5th upset on the road at St. Edwards last winter.

• 2) Nordonia: The Knights are certainly capable of winning this conference as they return multi-year starters Isaac Cherry, Landon Naylor, Gabe Ingram and Liam Gopalakrishna but won just once on the road after the new years. Nordonia has balanced scoring but will need Naylor to develop more as a closer to take the next step. This team knows how to win the close ones, in games decided by 6 pts or fewer in 2021-22, the Knights won 8 of 10 games.

• 3) Wadsworth: Led by Wright State commit Solomon Callaghan and Maxx Bosley the Grizzlies have a backcourt capable of going for 40-50 pts a night. Connor Sams and Alex Risher graduate so a third option must emerge in the front court for Mike Moser’s squad to take the next step. Finn Schmitt had a strong summer and could be that guy in an expanded role as a junior. Six conference losses by 5 of less points was the difference in a disappointing season last year.

• 4) North Royalton: It was an up and down first season for Ryan Holliday as Head Coach but just how close was his squad from a 2nd place Suburban League finish? Eight games were lost when the Bears held a lead going into the final quarter, including a near-seismic upset to Brecksville-Broadview Hts. Jad Suleiman returns after averaging 16.7 ppg as a sophomore. Combine that with senior backcourt returnees Nate Sawyer and Will Moss and rising star Brody Nahrstedt and there is reason for optimism in Bear Country.

• 5) Stow: A 15-win season, including seven straight to end the regular season have Bulldogs fans believing in even more success this season. AJ Pestello, a 6’7” senior would be an all-league center in most other conferences that didn’t have Gurito and Titus Baskerville IV and Nick Timberlake provide a great 1-2 scoring punch from the guard position. Depth in the frontcourt behind Pestello will be an issue.

• 6) Twinsburg: Admittedly this may be a low ranking for the Tigers, but after talking with Head Coach Phil Schmook there is a LOT of uncertainty as not even he knows what the current makeup of his team will look like come November. What we do know is that All-League Guard Anthony McCarthy and do-it-all combo guard Reggie Bussey have graduated. David Coniglio, twice an All-League player now steps directly into the spotlight. A lefty, who is a tenacious defender, Coniglio can also shoot it from deep as he averaged 13 points a game as a junior in 21-22. Camerin Patterson and Orion Hill also return but the rest of the Tigers roster seems to be in flux. With a change here and a tweak there, no reason to believe Twinsburg couldn’t compete with anyone in this league.

• 7) Hudson: Just how deep is this league? The Explorers, who won just 5 times last season are tough enough to beat any team on any given night. Led by PG Jagger Pallay, who not only threw for 2,200 yards and 20 touchdowns as a QB on the football team and owns the league’s best hair but tallied nearly seven assists a game to lead the league. Hudson will also boast a lineup which could feature three players at 6’4” or taller at any given time. Mix that with the usually defensive effort you get from a Tommy Stockard coached team and this isn’t your average conference ‘bottom-dweller’

Here's how I see the Suburban League's National Conference shaping up this season after talking with people and coaches in the know.

• 1) Brecksville-Broadview Hts: Led by Junior PG/SG Luke Skaljac who has received more than a dozen D-1 offers this summer (highlighted by Ohio Univ & Kent) and 6’8” senior big man Chase Gurito, the Bees and veteran Coach Steve Mehalik return a core of talent capable of not only winning the Suburban League but also going deep into March. Eli Skaljac, Jeremiah Michael and Stanford football commit Matt Rose have all graduated but look for sophomore wing Brady Ganley to fill the that void as he shot 46 percent from beyond the arc as a 9th grader. This is as disciplined a team as you will find in Northeast Ohio as highlighted during their Feb 5th upset on the road at St. Edwards last winter.

• 2) Nordonia: The Knights are certainly capable of winning this conference as they return multi-year starters Isaac Cherry, Landon Naylor, Gabe Ingram and Liam Gopalakrishna but won just once on the road after the new years. Nordonia has balanced scoring but will need Naylor to develop more as a closer to take the next step. This team knows how to win the close ones, in games decided by 6 pts or fewer in 2021-22, the Knights won 8 of 10 games.

• 3) Wadsworth: Led by Wright State commit Solomon Callaghan and Maxx Bosley the Grizzlies have a backcourt capable of going for 40-50 pts a night. Connor Sams and Alex Risher graduate so a third option must emerge in the front court for Mike Moser’s squad to take the next step. Finn Schmitt had a strong summer and could be that guy in an expanded role as a junior. Six conference losses by 5 of less points was the difference in a disappointing season last year.

• 4) North Royalton: It was an up and down first season for Ryan Holliday as Head Coach but just how close was his squad from a 2nd place Suburban League finish? Eight games were lost when the Bears held a lead going into the final quarter, including a near-seismic upset to Brecksville-Broadview Hts. Jad Suleiman returns after averaging 16.7 ppg as a sophomore. Combine that with senior backcourt returnees Nate Sawyer and Will Moss and rising star Brody Nahrstedt and there is reason for optimism in Bear Country.

• 5) Stow: A 15-win season, including seven straight to end the regular season have Bulldogs fans believing in even more success this season. AJ Pestello, a 6’7” senior would be an all-league center in most other conferences that didn’t have Gurito and Titus Baskerville IV and Nick Timberlake provide a great 1-2 scoring punch from the guard position. Depth in the frontcourt behind Pestello will be an issue.

• 6) Twinsburg: Admittedly this may be a low ranking for the Tigers, but after talking with Head Coach Phil Schmook there is a LOT of uncertainty as not even he knows what the current makeup of his team will look like come November. What we do know is that All-League Guard Anthony McCarthy and do-it-all combo guard Reggie Bussey have graduated. David Coniglio, twice an All-League player now steps directly into the spotlight. A lefty, who is a tenacious defender, Coniglio can also shoot it from deep as he averaged 13 points a game as a junior in 21-22. Camerin Patterson and Orion Hill also return but the rest of the Tigers roster seems to be in flux. With a change here and a tweak there, no reason to believe Twinsburg couldn’t compete with anyone in this league.

• 7) Hudson: Just how deep is this league? The Explorers, who won just 5 times last season are tough enough to beat any team on any given night. Led by PG Jagger Pallay, who not only threw for 2,200 yards and 20 touchdowns as a QB on the football team and owns the league’s best hair but tallied nearly seven assists a game to lead the league. Hudson will also boast a lineup which could feature three players at 6’4” or taller at any given time. Mix that with the usually defensive effort you get from a Tommy Stockard coached team and this isn’t your average conference ‘bottom-dweller’
On paper, Stow should be better than 5th place. There is a lot of talent there, and they lost no seniors of consequence. Guess we shall see. Can say pretty much the same for Twinsburg too. Dang the league has some talent!

On paper, Stow should be better than 5th place. There is a lot of talent there, and they lost no seniors of consequence. Guess we shall see. Can say pretty much the same for Twinsburg too. Dang the league has some talent!
I hear you putting Stow, Twinsburg and Hudson 5-7 is tough to do but who could you replace?

i think BBHHS is a notch better than the rest, but any team that you could put no 2 could just as easily be 7, vice versa

Records from last season:
1662088665118.png

Stoike is pretty on point with everything.

The former sophomore QB who is now a JR is a good QB. He is very good where ever he plays and he threw for two TD's vs Brecks coming in cold. The JR that played as a replacement, who is now a senior, is not in the picture at QB.

There was significant concerns of nepotism playing the soph as to what transgressed last year and the team still went 9-3.

Last edited:
What is actually amazing here is Stoike is literally on point with everything.

The former sophomore QB who is now a JR has clearly been the best. The current JR QB/Slot is very good where ever he plays but he threw for two TD's vs Brecks coming in literally cold. The JR that played as a replacement, who is now a senior, is no where in the picture at QB.

There was significant concerns of nepotism as to what transgressed last year and the team still went 9-3.

Fan 20 is wrong
And the Freshman kid they've played has great potential. No doubt about that.

What is actually amazing here is Stoike is literally on point with everything.

The former sophomore QB who is now a JR has clearly been the best. The current JR QB/Slot is very good where ever he plays but he threw for two TD's vs Brecks coming in literally cold. The JR that played as a replacement, who is now a senior, is no where in the picture at QB.

There was significant concerns of nepotism as to what transgressed last year and the team still went 9-3.

Fan 20 is wrong
When the Starter last year got hurt, wasn’t the Soph you are talking about hurt? So how would that even been an option?

This is clearly Stoikes burner account.

Also I’d like to know what of the things Stoike posted was correct?

I would like to thank-you, you are the 1st person that has brought to my attention the significant concerns of nepotism. That’s funny.

When the Starter last year got hurt, wasn’t the Soph you are talking about hurt? So how would that even been an option?

I would like to thank-you, you are the 1st person that has brought to my attention the significant concerns of nepotism. That’s funny.
No he was 100% healthy.

What's funny? He is the grandson of the former assistant Head Coach, the former Roosevelt Head Coach.

Fan, you really need to learn to just shut up. The whole 'watches the ball' comment did not even make sense to begin with....considering I simply said that the Dogs were going to be tough this year with almost the whole team (hopefully) coming back. You really are not worth the time to argue with it. As Col. Pottinger always says, "Don't waste your time on idiots"

No he was 100% healthy.

What's funny? He is the grandson of the former assistant Head Coach, the former Roosevelt Head Coach.
I love that you act like I don’t know that.

But clearly you are related to both, you are literally the only person who brought up nepotism with last years team. Non-issue.

That was far from what the issue was last year.

I love that you act like I don’t know that.

But clearly you are related to both, you are literally the only person who brought up nepotism with last years team. Non-issue.

That was far from what the issue was last year.
I mean I don't really care much. Just stating what I know having some friends who were there. Not related to anyone in Stow or the family mentioned. The kid who came in won and they had to keep playing him. I'm not going to get into anything regarding kids who are in HS.

Things worked out regardless for last year. Hope things can get going.

Not here to argue or get in a pissing match.

Little chatter on here with this Division. Stow has been rolling as of late. Really fun team to watch. Very balanced and extremely well coached. Play great team basketball.

Finally got to see a game live, and WHAT a great game it was...like a heavyweight fight, as Stow beat North Royalton 77-73 in overtime. It was a battle of opposite styles, with Royalton hitting 15 3-pointers to 3 for Stow, and Stow pushing the tempo whenever able and attacking the basket. It was a game of runs, with the Bears leading most of the 2nd half, by as many as 14. Stow would start pushing the ball and cutting the lead, and Royalton would call a T.O. and then go on a run of their own, hitting 3-pointers from everywhere. Stow tied it in the final seconds and pulled away in overtime. Exciting game. The Bears can SHOOT!!! Cannot believe they are 6-7.

Finally got to see a game live, and WHAT a great game it was...like a heavyweight fight, as Stow beat North Royalton 77-73 in overtime. It was a battle of opposite styles, with Royalton hitting 15 3-pointers to 3 for Stow, and Stow pushing the tempo whenever able and attacking the basket. It was a game of runs, with the Bears leading most of the 2nd half, by as many as 14. Stow would start pushing the ball and cutting the lead, and Royalton would call a T.O. and then go on a run of their own, hitting 3-pointers from everywhere. Stow tied it in the final seconds and pulled away in overtime. Exciting game. The Bears can SHOOT!!! Cannot believe they are 6-7.
Royalton is always tough. The league is very deep this year with almost anyone being able to knock each other off. Should see some teams do well come tournament time. Brecksville and Stow I have seen and both can make a run. I haven't seen Nordonia yet but judging by the record they could make some noise as well.

Royalton is always tough. The league is very deep this year with almost anyone being able to knock each other off. Should see some teams do well come tournament time. Brecksville and Stow I have seen and both can make a run. I haven't seen Nordonia yet but judging by the record they could make some noise as well.
Nordonia beat stow.

Stow @ Nordonia on Tuesday. If Nordonia comes away with a win I’m pretty sure Friday’s game Brecksville @ Nordonia will be for the league championship. In my opinion I don’t see them beating stow. Stow is hot right now and nordonia has been struggling the past couple games, they allow way too many 3’s and stow will shoot the lights out if they let them. Will be rooting for the knights though!!!

Nordonia, Stow and Brecksville still alive. All 3 with a chance to win and advance next week. Great conference for hoops.
All three win again tonight and advance to District finals and all 3 will have a shot to win their district. Great year for the conference.