Struthers football 2022

If Jefferson isn’t replaced in the league it will need to be another non conference for all teams
That's going to create a nightmare for the NE8 ADs. Most teams are already in conference play by week 4, scheduling would be somewhat difficult going that deep into teams schedules.

Wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you.
Cold day in hel.......
Never happen, ? too many burnt bridges. Let them rack up the miles.

On the other hand, could probably sell Howland a whole other easier
I would think teams that they might get to replace Jefferson would be in this order
1. Howland
2. Salem
3. West Branch
4. Marlington

Now I do think that if they do not add another team to the league in time the easiest and best solution for most of the teams would be to schedule Canfield or Howland for a Non-Conference game depending on which happens to be available that particular week. No other publics in the area are likely to be open week 4 and later with the exception of schools that are higher than D-III. Now if YCS combines East and Chaney again, I think they would be in the ballpark of D-II and too much disparity at that point for everyone except for the top few teams in the league.
I suppose if teams are looking for a real challenge and an automatic loss and to potentially lose their players they can play Ursuline, Cardinal Mooney on the other hand would be acceptable in my book since all the good players go to Ursuline and there is no risk of loosing them to Mooney.

Something else to consider is now that everyone will have a bye week in league play unless a replacement is found, is since Poland and Canfield already play, they could move the game to week 10 or whenever Poland's bye week is to make scheduling easier as finding an opponent for the first 3 weeks is much more difficult.

I would think the logical move by the top NE8 teams would be to fill in the bye week with Canfield and for the smaller and weaker teams to fill in their schedule with Howland or I suppose Mooney.

But hopefully they are able to add another team in time, like Howland, that would be ideal.

I would think teams that they might get to replace Jefferson would be in this order
1. Howland
2. Salem
3. West Branch
4. Marlington

Now I do think that if they do not add another team to the league in time the easiest and best solution for most of the teams would be to schedule Canfield or Howland for a Non-Conference game depending on which happens to be available that particular week. No other publics in the area are likely to be open week 4 and later with the exception of schools that are higher than D-III. Now if YCS combines East and Chaney again, I think they would be in the ballpark of D-II and too much disparity at that point for everyone except for the top few teams in the league.
I suppose if teams are looking for a real challenge and an automatic loss and to potentially lose their players they can play Ursuline, Cardinal Mooney on the other hand would be acceptable in my book since all the good players go to Ursuline and there is no risk of loosing them to Mooney.

Something else to consider is now that everyone will have a bye week in league play unless a replacement is found, is since Poland and Canfield already play, they could move the game to week 10 or whenever Poland's bye week is to make scheduling easier as finding an opponent for the first 3 weeks is much more difficult.

I would think the logical move by the top NE8 teams would be to fill in the bye week with Canfield and for the smaller and weaker teams to fill in their schedule with Howland or I suppose Mooney.

But hopefully they are able to add another team in time, like Howland, that would be ideal.
Everybody is gonna have week 4 open. So 7 teams will need a game. Luckily you have conferences like the EBc with 5 members, Canfield, Howland Mooney Ursuline. Won’t be a problem getting those games filled. Also there are a lot more independents in NEO. I’m just talking Ytown area.

Last edited:
Everybody is gonna have week 4 open. So 7 teams will need a game. Luckily you have conferences like the EBc with 5 members, Canfield, Howland Mooney Ursuline. Won’t be a problem getting those games filled. Also there are a lot more independents in NEO. I’m just talking Ytown area.
Who all is or will be independent in the area that is D-III to D-V?
I know of Canfield, Howland, Louisville Chaney, East and Ursuline for D-III.
Not sure about Beaver Local, East Liverpool and Northwest for D-IV.
And Conneaut and Cardinal Mooney for D-V.
Austintown Fitch, Boardman, and Warren G Harding are all independent but will be D-I or D-II, and I don't think any NE8 teams will want to schedule them really. The NE8 teams would probably rather play a bigger/more competitive D-VI team than one of those 3.
The only D-IV or D-V teams that played any of those 3 was Ursuline and Mooney. The only D-III team that played a competitive game with any of them was Canfield.
Howland was not very competitive against Boardman and Chaney was not competitive against any of the 3.
Canfield was a top 3 to top 5 team in D-III last year and only beat Boardman by one score, and Boardman was the weakest of the 3.

I suppose you can throw in Dover as an independent but they are D-II, and they are a long drive and would be as tough as facing Canfield. I would only consider playing them if I was Hubbard or whoever is the top team in the league.

That's going to create a nightmare for the NE8 ADs. Most teams are already in conference play by week 4, scheduling would be somewhat difficult going that deep into teams schedules.

Not necessarily. Everyone has had plenty of time to prepare for Jefferson leaving. it’s been known for a while now. No one should be caught by surprise.

Easiest fix is to go forward with weeks 1-4 being OOC and weeks 5-10 being conference games. Not a nightmare scenario at all. Just means that each AD would have 4 open dates to fill instead of 3.
Unless of course someone takes Jeffersons spot to keep the NE8 at 8.

Just a reminder that without Jefferson and there being 7 teams that means there will be 1 school each week without a league game, not everyone needing an OOC game week 4.

Who all is or will be independent in the area that is D-III to D-V?
I know of Canfield, Howland, Louisville Chaney, East and Ursuline for D-III.
Not sure about Beaver Local, East Liverpool and Northwest for D-IV.
And Conneaut and Cardinal Mooney for D-V.
Austintown Fitch, Boardman, and Warren G Harding are all independent but will be D-I or D-II, and I don't think any NE8 teams will want to schedule them really. The NE8 teams would probably rather play a bigger/more competitive D-VI team than one of those 3.
The only D-IV or D-V teams that played any of those 3 was Ursuline and Mooney. The only D-III team that played a competitive game with any of them was Canfield.
Howland was not very competitive against Boardman and Chaney was not competitive against any of the 3.
Canfield was a top 3 to top 5 team in D-III last year and only beat Boardman by one score, and Boardman was the weakest of the 3.

I suppose you can throw in Dover as an independent but they are D-II, and they are a long drive and would be as tough as facing Canfield. I would only consider playing them if I was Hubbard or whoever is the top team in the league.

Not Independents. But as was already mentioned, the rest of the NBC maybe? Or maybe the MVAC? In addition to everyone that you listed.
There are options.

Just a reminder that without Jefferson and there being 7 teams that means there will be 1 school each week without a league game, not everyone needing an OOC game week 4.

Not necessarily. Depends on if the 2023 and 2024 schedules were finalized before it was known that Jefferson is leaving.

If everyone knew That Jefferson was leaving, then it shouldn’t be an issue.

There are some smaller teams locally that would be willing to play up. Some teams that schedule up more than once are Garfield, Brookfield, Springfield, Crestview, and Warren JFK. Struthers played Liberty for many years and other teams have played competitive games with smaller local teams. Point being I think there are plenty of options to find games. Heck throw in Mogadore I think they would play up also.

I think that with so many teams making the playoffs now, teams should be willing to "toughen" up their schedules with a non-league game. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out next year and beyond.

Hopefully, the NE8 can add another team but it isn't looking very good right now.

I think that with so many teams making the playoffs now, teams should be willing to "toughen" up their schedules with a non-league game. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out next year and beyond.

Hopefully, the NE8 can add another team but it isn't looking very good right now.
I think the most ideal thing would be to just add west branch and Salem, then once a year you won’t play 1 team for conference play, and keep the 3 ooc games

Not necessarily. Depends on if the 2023 and 2024 schedules were finalized before it was known that Jefferson is leaving.

If everyone knew That Jefferson was leaving, then it shouldn’t be an issue.
Doesn’t matter about schedules being finalized. Unless teams are playing 3-way games, it’s simple math. 3 league games = 6 schools, the 7th school on any given week would need to play an OOC game

There are some smaller teams locally that would be willing to play up. Some teams that schedule up more than once are Garfield, Brookfield, Springfield, Crestview, and Warren JFK. Struthers played Liberty for many years and other teams have played competitive games with smaller local teams. Point being I think there are plenty of options to find games. Heck throw in Mogadore I think they would play up also.

Right. Like I said, the MVAC.
The NBC covers Salem, West Branch and Stark county. I already mentioned Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake and Summit couunties. Throw Portage county in there, too.
I think that’s every county in Northeast Ohio. Did I miss any? lol

Doesn’t matter about schedules being finalized. Unless teams are playing 3-way games, it’s simple math. 3 league games = 6 schools, the 7th school on any given week would need to play an OOC game

You’re right. Stupid mistake on my part.
Still though, everyone has had plenty of time to adjust for Jefferson leaving. That still true.

Unless teams are playing 3-way games, it’s simple math. 3 league games = 6 schools, the 7th school on any given week would need to play an OOC game
The magic phrase is: "on any given week" according to your scenario. That would be very hard if not impossible to schedule an OOC game in weeks 5-10. I don't think any of the NE8 ADs would want to be put in that type of situation, that would be extremely difficult to achieve. In my opinion, week 4 would be hard enough let alone weeks 5-10, that's the benefit of being in a conference so not to be in that type of position.

Best case scenario, Howland joins the NE8, or have they already said no. Does anybody really know because I sure don't.

The magic phrase is: "on any given week" according to your scenario. That would be very hard if not impossible to schedule an OOC game in weeks 5-10. I don't think any of the NE8 ADs would want to be put in that type of situation, that would be extremely difficult to achieve. In my opinion, week 4 would be hard enough let alone weeks 5-10, that's the benefit of being in a conference so not to be in that type of position.

Best case scenario, Howland joins the NE8, or have they already said no. Does anybody really know because I sure don't.
I’ve talked to the Struthers AD and lakeviews AD and they haven’t heard a word of anyone applying yet. That was about 2 months ago