Stow- Munroe Falls Head Coach Position

Southeast coach would have taken a pay cut to come to Stow and go back in the classroom. Teachers' union at stow. He is better at southeast.
Pay seems pretty comparable. 75K as AD and 71K as a classroom teacher (less days of work). Also the Stow pay scale currently tops out at around 87K.

Southeast coach would have taken a pay cut to come to Stow and go back in the classroom. Teachers' union at stow. He is better at southeast.
Southeast is so lucky to keep him. All the guys in the building love him. He’s paid a lot of attention to the youth program and should have HUGE numbers out next year. Southeast looking to reload more than rebuild due to his guidance.

Just scanning through the thread and I may have missed it, but who did they hire? I keep seeing things like how disappointed people are, but then I see others that say they should have hired him the last time. Anyone Named yet? Or still just speculation?

Just scanning through the thread and I may have missed it, but who did they hire? I keep seeing things like how disappointed people are, but then I see others that say they should have hired him the last time. Anyone Named yet? Or still just speculation?
Poder, and people in the Community and School are not disappointed. They’re disappointed it didn’t happen 4 years ago.

Accurate to say that the committee chosen to select a head coach and the superintendent were not on the same page. This is why Tom Phillips was hired and it’s why the situation played out the way it did this time. That being said, they are probably fortunate that a qualified candidate ultimately got the job.

A bigger problem is it is illegal to do so (unless the rules have recently changed) … when I was an AD a few years ago it was illegal for anyone other than the school district to directly pay a coach for coaching … I have heard that some places have paid coaches for other things … but even that is a vey slippery slope … I don’t remember if this an OHSAA rule or a State of Ohio rule /law… but it was a rule/law … not just a school policy.
Well, a big school in Summit County did this as well very, very recently.

Accurate to say that the committee chosen to select a head coach and the superintendent were not on the same page. This is why Tom Phillips was hired and it’s why the situation played out the way it did this time. That being said, they are probably fortunate that a qualified candidate ultimately got the job.
All true.

What mess?
I agree… too many (especially on this board) that forget that most HCs teach too. I thought it was funny the way some talk on the Coffman thread about hiring a DC. As if it’s a six figure job, and should garner a lot of quality candidates. It’s a DC position at a HS, someone will get between 5k-7k to do it.
I don’t think Phillips (or very few HCs) should be criticized the way they are. I’ve gone over this phenomenon ad nauseum. Coaching, teaching, and policing, are the careers that EVERYONE ELSE knows how to do it best. However, the critical ones are typically never willing/able to do it themselves.

How or why is this the official hiring? I haven't seen this announcement anywhere (news or socials) and it is not on the Board of Education's Meeting Agenda for tonight.

How or why is this the official hiring? I haven't seen this announcement anywhere (news or socials) and it is not on the Board of Education's Meeting Agenda for tonight.
Also have not seen anything. Just hearing things from this thread. I think with Phillips, he was not a bad guy or anything like that. I think there was frustration with the offense during his tenure (passing game), as well as it being pretty widely known what his timeline for exiting was. He also dropped a game every year that should not have been lost but that is being picky. That is the extent of the “mess” that I know of. Good guy but time to move forward.

I agree… too many (especially on this board) that forget that most HCs teach too. I thought it was funny the way some talk on the Coffman thread about hiring a DC. As if it’s a six figure job, and should garner a lot of quality candidates. It’s a DC position at a HS, someone will get between 5k-7k to do it.
I don’t think Phillips (or very few HCs) should be criticized the way they are. I’ve gone over this phenomenon ad nauseum. Coaching, teaching, and policing, are the careers that EVERYONE ELSE knows how to do it best. However, the critical ones are typically never willing/able to do it themselves.
Except that Tom Phillips really did not teach. This, in part, was why they had issues bringing who they wanted in. Many already in the district wanted the “position” the administration created which now is just an “aide” position. I believe it will be official tonight.

Also have not seen anything. Just hearing things from this thread. I think with Phillips, he was not a bad guy or anything like that. I think there was frustration with the offense during his tenure (passing game), as well as it being pretty widely known what his timeline for exiting was. He also dropped a game every year that should not have been lost but that is being picky. That is the extent of the “mess” that I know of. Good guy but time to move forward.
I can see that, thanks for the insight. I get irritated at all the armchair QBs (there are many of them here) that scream to high heaven about HS coaches and every little thing they do, and then turn around and wonder “why can’t my school get a quality HC?” As if they are expecting Belichick or Parcells to walk through the door for that giant HSFB HC paycheck.

Except that Tom Phillips really did not teach. This, in part, was why they had issues bringing who they wanted in. Many already in the district wanted the “position” the administration created which now is just an “aide” position. I believe it will be official tonight.
I understand this aspect, many schools have had to go the route of creating positions for coaches (football specifically) to get a decent- quality candidate. No coach worth their salt would consider a full time teaching position, a HC job , and likely be able to keep their personal life together. That’s why we see “stepping away/back to spend time with family” more and more, because it’s true.

The burden of coaching has surpassed the joys. That’s a problem.

I can see that, thanks for the insight. I get irritated at all the armchair QBs (there are many of them here) that scream to high heaven about HS coaches and every little thing they do, and then turn around and wonder “why can’t my school get a quality HC?” As if they are expecting Belichick or Parcells to walk through the door for that giant HSFB HC paycheck.
There was considerable hype around Stow's graduating QB Owen Bainbridge for years and years within the program. I think there was definitely frustration within the community about how he developed. Prototype athlete who is a dual threat, but the passing game development really lagged under Phillips. This is a player who i think specifically would have been better off under Poder. Depending on if you agree with my statement, that should help explain more.

There was considerable hype around Stow's graduating QB Owen Bainbridge for years and years within the program. I think there was definitely frustration within the community about how he developed. Prototype athlete who is a dual threat, but the passing game development really lagged under Phillips. This is a player who i think specifically would have been better off under Poder. Depending on if you agree with my statement, that should help explain more.
You are spot on with your observation about the QB and head coach. There was a disconnect there. In fact, there were many “disconnects” inside and just outside the program. There still are. Hopefully the new coach can eliminate some of these.

I totally understand what you are saying. The problem was not what he did, it was what he didn't do. Again, I can only go off of what people have said. He barley did the minimum and coasted into retirement. So based on that, I don't think they were expecting a Belicheck or Parcels, but someone to do the job he was hired for. So you can call it a mess, disconnects or whatever. Poder will have to fix somethings.

I totally understand what you are saying. The problem was not what he did, it was what he didn't do. Again, I can only go off of what people have said. He barley did the minimum and coasted into retirement. So based on that, I don't think they were expecting a Belicheck or Parcels, but someone to do the job he was hired for. So you can call it a mess, disconnects or whatever. Poder will have to fix somethings.
As i've shared before, Poder's last stint in Stow he was willing to go that extra mile. He met with the middle school and youth coaches to install his blocking schemes and lingo to allow seamless transition for kids from year to year. Some teams continued using what he taught even after he left.

Poder is on the board agenda, 4 year contract. Nothing on any positions in the building he would fill.
Does anyone know what he did at Brecksville? I’m not sure if he’s a certified teacher yet. When he was at Stow originally he was an educational aide. I can see him in similar role. From reading in this thread and hearing teacher’s Union was involved that could be why he got job. Might have been easier to get in building

Phillips was hired by the Super. It was his hire plain and simple. Nobody else’s opinion mattered. It was the wrong hire. Four years later they’re hiring the guy that most wanted then.
I’m not sure how true this is. I was talking to Feldman when the interviews first started last time and he was high on Phillips from the very beginning. I think he thought they were getting another Nori, but they clearly did not.

You are spot on with your observation about the QB and head coach. There was a disconnect there. In fact, there were many “disconnects” inside and just outside the program. There still are. Hopefully the new coach can eliminate some of these.
I’m not sure how true this is. I was talking to Feldman when the interviews first started last time and he was high on Phillips from the very beginning. I think he thought they were getting another Nori, but they clearly did not.