Steelers, Ben come to an agreement.

Irwin20

No details. Not sure how I feel about it , have to see how much cap space it freed up.

reduced salary to $14 mil. lowered cap hit by over $15 mil so team can make moves to be as competitive as possible.

it's a start.

It doesn't help a whole lot. The cap situation was very bad to begin with (33 players signed at ~$220m in cap with a $185-$190m cap for 2021). I believe Heyward has already restructured, which saved $7-8m for next season.

I really don't understand what they're doing. They seem to be in denial of their situation, like many fans, and are going to put the team in cap hell for a false hope Ben will play like he's 29 again.

The window is closed. Creating a good cap situation for the future should have been the priority. If they had to release or trade a some expensive and/or aging players, including Ben (or let him play a lame duck 2021, it doesn't matter) then so be it

Last edited:
so you'd rather him play one more year on his $19 million? this new contract is NOT hurting the cap in the future either. it's spread out over 4 years so as to NOT do that. and i'm quite sure the salary cap is going to go UP the next few years so Steelers should be fine there. they've always operated with very little cap room and managed to do it quite well. they're not sacrificing the future by bringing Ben back for most likely one more year. he can still play at a high level and they can still build a competitive roster around him next year AND around whoever else is the future. they know what they're doing.

They eat $10m next year then can void a few millions the following three years, but it’s not Ben’s contract amount that causes problems. With him here they’ll push the cap to its limits to restructure, keep, and extended players that should be left alone, released, or traded, hurting the cap in the future. That would be all well and good if it was the last year they have a shot at the SB but it won’t be. The window is shut and the time to part ways with guys who aren’t part of the future was now

As a Browns fan I was rooting for another year of Ben. more specifically, Ben's salary. Crusaders is right, it just keeps the Steelers juggling players/salaries and pushes the needed rebuild back another couple of years. Keep playing Ben!

Finished the season 1-5, in the process embarrassing themselves at home in the playoffs against a division rival. You ignored all the signs that that sort of finish was coming and yet still you cling to your nonsense and pretend last year was a good year.

Not only was it the time to part ways with aging players, it was time to reboot the staff

the nonsense is that just because we finished 1-5 you want to burn it all down. that's simply ludicrous. all you can do in this league is whatever you have to to make the playoffs and then hope to play well when you get there. Steelers didn't play well in the playoffs. it happens. but one bad game doesn't mean you just get rid of everything and start over. your infatuation with Tomlin being a terrible coach is so far worn out it wouldn't even get sold at a Thrift Store.

Ben showed he has enough left to play well for not just next season (although i think that will be it) but even more and his salary now has ZERO to do with whether or not the Steelers will be able to build a competitive roster. they can still do that. some guys will leave in FA. some will come back. that happens EVERY season. they will draft enough talent and sign some guys to fill some holes, like they always do and they will still be competitive. this is still a playoff team.

now that's fine if you want to keep being the fan that simply roots for a team's demise and hopes that the coaches/GM's fail so we can move on to the next up and coming coach/GM who probably isn't even out there at this point in time.

this is also why i love to come on here (at times). it's so great to find fans who sit behind a keyboard and know more about what's going on with the team, what needs fixed on the team, what coaches/players need to be let go, who they need to draft/sign, what kind of offense/defense they should run, etc.

i'm not sure why the Rooneys don't just come on this Yappi forum to get all their answers. that's all they would need. save so much money on scouts, admin, etc. just come to Yappi and we have ALL the answers. no need to go to the combine. don't watch any college film. all your evaluations, X's and O's, player personnel decisions - they're all HERE.

probably would have had 4-5 Super Bowls the last 6 years if the Rooney's did that.

can't believe they haven't taken advantage of this FREE site.

i'll let them know it's here. hopefully they jump on it soon to start making the necessary changes.

I can see either happening next season. They will have enough talent to be a playoff team. Probably will pick up a friendly priced FA or two. Likely OL and secondary. Steelers will lose 3-4 to free agency. With luck a couple of upcoming draft picks will step up. 10-6 is possible.
I could also with some injuries and bad luck see 7-9 or even 6-10 as a possibility. I’ll state again this division doesn’t scare me the talent deferential between the top 3 teams is minimal. The Bengals still have to catch up.

I can see either happening next season. They will have enough talent to be a playoff team. Probably will pick up a friendly priced FA or two. Likely OL and secondary. Steelers will lose 3-4 to free agency. With luck a couple of upcoming draft picks will step up. 10-6 is possible.
I could also with some injuries and bad luck see 7-9 or even 6-10 as a possibility. I’ll state again this division doesn’t scare me the talent deferential between the top 3 teams is minimal. The Bengals still have to catch up.

agree on this. IF Ben stays healthy all season we should end up in the playoffs. not saying we def. win the division but our defense should be good enough to handle Burrow, Lamar, and Baker. not gonna go 6-0 in the div. but i also don't see us finishing last in the div. either.

any team, for the most part, could be an injury or two away (at key positions/parts) from going 12-4 to being 8-8, especially when it happens during the season.

Steelers will be competitive next year and should make the playoffs.

the nonsense is that just because we finished 1-5 you want to burn it all down. that's simply ludicrous. all you can do in this league is whatever you have to to make the playoffs and then hope to play well when you get there. Steelers didn't play well in the playoffs. it happens. but one bad game doesn't mean you just get rid of everything and start over. your infatuation with Tomlin being a terrible coach is so far worn out it wouldn't even get sold at a Thrift Store.

Ben showed he has enough left to play well for not just next season (although i think that will be it) but even more and his salary now has ZERO to do with whether or not the Steelers will be able to build a competitive roster. they can still do that. some guys will leave in FA. some will come back. that happens EVERY season. they will draft enough talent and sign some guys to fill some holes, like they always do and they will still be competitive. this is still a playoff team.

now that's fine if you want to keep being the fan that simply roots for a team's demise and hopes that the coaches/GM's fail so we can move on to the next up and coming coach/GM who probably isn't even out there at this point in time.

this is also why i love to come on here (at times). it's so great to find fans who sit behind a keyboard and know more about what's going on with the team, what needs fixed on the team, what coaches/players need to be let go, who they need to draft/sign, what kind of offense/defense they should run, etc.

i'm not sure why the Rooneys don't just come on this Yappi forum to get all their answers. that's all they would need. save so much money on scouts, admin, etc. just come to Yappi and we have ALL the answers. no need to go to the combine. don't watch any college film. all your evaluations, X's and O's, player personnel decisions - they're all HERE.

probably would have had 4-5 Super Bowls the last 6 years if the Rooney's did that.

can't believe they haven't taken advantage of this FREE site.

i'll let them know it's here. hopefully they jump on it soon to start making the necessary changes.

I'm not "burning it all down", I'm cutting ties with players who aren't part of the future (old, expensive, etc.) and rebooting a staff that should have been years ago.

Steelers fans like you are such morons. You'd happily go 12-4 and one-and-done every year, and claim its successful. And you'll lap up every excuse and empty word Tomlin says because you can't criticize him.

The goal of professional sports isn't just to win games, it's to win championships, and the Steelers have failed at that for a decade despite having arguably the most talent of any team in the league. 3 playoff wins since their last SB appearance, and far too many let down games. The pattern of arrogance and lazy preparation is clear, and it comes from the HC.

there's a couple things i don't agree with on this but some i understand.

1. the staff, minus Tomlin, has been rebooted. Tomlin isn't the issue, as much as you'd like it to be him. it's just not.

2. i'm not "happy" with a first round playoff loss but the 12-4 is just fine with me. ya know, when you get to the playoffs, EVERYONE Is good. it's REALLY HARD to even GET to a Super Bowl, let alone win it. not getting there is not always an indictment on the head coach.

3. we are NOT the most talented of any team in the league. not even close. i'm not sure what you're seeing but we have an above average QB, NO running back/running game, a bunch of WR's who are in their 3rd year or less, NO TIGHT END, lost our best defensive player to injury, etc. you can't spew that we just have all this talent across the board when we really don't. i'm not saying we aren't in the top half because we probably are but we are not near the top 5 in talent. Tomlin has done more with less at times than any other coach in the league. We NEVER sign big FA's.......EVER. and even when we had the big 3 "Ben, Bell, and Brown", they never all played in a playoff game together (maybe once).

4. the arrogance and lazy preparation........i just wish i knew where you got this information. has one former player who has left the Steelers in the past decade come out and said "We don't prepare well at all. we do nothing during the week leading up to a game. we barely practice. we don't even study film." that's "lazy preparation". how in the world would you come to that conclusion? it's ludicrous.

do i want to win the Super Bowl every year? yes.
is it even logical to believe that it will happen? no.
the goal is yes, to win championships but not getting one doesn't mean "failure" or that the coaching staff is terrible, etc.
sometimes it means the other team just played better.
that's the nature of sports.
the players are human. they have bad games sometimes.

it's one of the best, if not, THE best run organizations in the league. doesn't mean that everyone can't get better. they all can. and they will work to do that.

just read that Steelers are about 6 mill below the 182.5 million and have ability, with a couple other contracts being renegotiated/reworked to get about 18 million below, so not as bad as made out to be these past couple months.

to compare - Browns are at the highest cap number right now, around 211 million, so they have WAY more work to do than the Steelers.

plenty of other teams in cap "hell", so to speak - Chiefs just released both of their starting OT's, saving around 18 mill in cap space, and are STILL 3 mill OVER the cap.

Last edited:
The Browns are about 25 Million UNDER the cap right now ... because they have a cap rollover of about 30 million so they can spend up to 211 million.