State Tournament

Archbishop Alter def. Archbishop McNicholas 25-23, 25-18, 25-17 to advance to the Division II State Championship Match.

Results from Saturday

Saturday, June 3 at Capital University:

Division I Quarterfinal
10:00am - St Ignatius def. Westerville South 25-18, 25-19, 25-16
11:45am - St Xavier def. Centerville 25-18, 25-21, 25-20
1:30pm - Elder def. Beavercreek 25-18, 19-25, 25-14, 25-21
3:15pm - Hilliard Darby def. St Edward 25-10, 25-11, 25-9

Division II Semifinals
5:00pm - Archbishop Alter def. Archbishop McNicholas 25-23, 25-18, 25-17
6:45pm - Archbishop Hoban def. Dublin Scioto 25-20, 25-23, 23-25, 25-14

Sunday, June 4 at Capital University:

Division I Semifinals
10:00am - St. Ignatius vs. St Xavier
12:00pm - Elder vs. Hilliard Darby

Division II State Championship
2:00pm - Archbishop Alter vs. Archbishop Hoban

Division I State Championship
4:00pm - St Ignatius/St Xavier Winner vs. Elder/Hilliard Darby Winner

Redeemed themselves from a loss to St X early in the year. First finals appearance for St I's. Congrats to them!

On another note, if Darby beats Elder, that will be 2 of the last 3 years in which no GCL school is in the finals. Something that hasnt happened since 2000-2002

Darby wins the match, taking the 4th set 25-18. Not enough firepower for Elder. Never been impressed with Bowling from Darby, but he was the difference today and played really well. Darby was playing faster than Elder, the better team definitely won. Good luck to the Panthers against a very hot St Ignatius Wildcat team.

Disagree - I think Bowling is Darby's best all around player - he never is on the bench !

Archbishop Alter keeps the streak alive beating Archbishop Hoban in 5 sets: 28-26, 25-21, 15-25, 20-25, 15-4

Disagree - I think Bowling is Darby's best all around player - he never is on the bench !

Um POY Brinkerhoff may have something to say about that, as would the setter because he played great today also. Neither of them leave the court. :shrug:

Maybe this is why I've never been impressed because those in his corner act like he's the best player out there. Based on those people the expectation level is way up there. Like I said, he played great today. Brinkerhoff and Moldovon didn't play their best and he stepped up.

Interested to see how St Ignatius does against Darby. Ignatius is playing the best thus far this weekend IMO. They had the longer wait which hurt Moeller after the Semifinal last year. They both also played tough 4-set matches.

State tournament is becoming more and more unpredictable.

Definitely fun to see more true contenders. Makes the sport more fun to watch.

You can make a strong argument that none of the true favorites have won the past 3 years.

2015 - Darby (favorite - St. X)
2016 - Elder (favorites - Darby/Moeller)
2017 - St. Ignatius (favorites Darby/Elder)

(Of course the favorites are just based off of my opinion)

State tournament is becoming more and more unpredictable.

Definitely fun to see more true contenders. Makes the sport more fun to watch.

You can make a strong argument that none of the true favorites have won the past 3 years.

2015 - Darby (favorite - St. X)
2016 - Elder (favorites - Darby/Moeller)
2017 - St. Ignatius (favorites Darby/Elder)

(Of course the favorites are just based off of my opinion)

I would completely agree here. Definitely more parity across the state which is more fun. And you're right the favorite, or even the 2nd favorite hasn't won the last few years.

If you're putting odds on it:
2015 - Favorite was St X, then Moeller (neither made the Championship)
2016 - Favorite was the Darby/Moeller winner
2017 - Favorite was the Darby/Elder winner, with St Xavier getting more love than St Ignatius.

As TheDude said earlier, this is the second time in three years that the GCL wasn't represented in the State Championship Match. So even though my team lost today and the other GCL school lost earlier, those results are better for the future of Boys Volleyball in Ohio.

Great updates here from Darby Davidson fan. I just spent the weekend watching a great couple days of volleyball.

Not enough love here for the D2 kids. Awesome play from both Alter and Hoban and congrats to Alter for turning it on in set 5. The Rose kid from Alter was phenomenal as was Gerwig from Hoban.

My son has had an outstanding experience with Hoban volleyball and from hearing the seniors speak at our Sunday mass at the hotel, it's plain to see how much that group of kids loved playing together and for their coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't watch any of the division 2 matches (Had to spend some time this weekend not watching volleyball) but hats off to St Ignatius. Great defensive team with a lot of grit and determination. Figured I would post a list of my all tournament team of the best players I saw

MVP - James Purcell (Ignatius) - WOW! Where did this kid come from?! Dominant at the net and played some great back row for the Wildcats. Incredible performance

Catanzaro- I was very impressed by him. Combined with Flanagan, the freshman, Ignatius will be strong again next year

Bowling - Darby's workhorse this weekend. Tough way to go out

Moldovan - Strong steady performer, when he wasn't in the match was when Darby struggled

Pung - Probably had the second best match of anyone I saw in the match against Ignatius. However, Purcell had a once in a lifetime match. X has to be the front runner next year returning 4 of 7 starters including Pung

Klusman - Showed why he was the South region POY. From a hitting standpoint, as good as anyone I saw. Had some struggles setting and Elder moved to a 5-1 on occasion and was still Elder's go to hitter out of backrow

Daeschner - Great setter and hitter. In my opinion will be the best setter in the state next year

Mikesch - Such a smart player. Serve receive wasn't as good against Elder as he is likely used to, but had some great swings from the outside and was a leader on the court

Chico- Willed Centerville to keep it close against X

Last edited:
Great updates here from Darby Davidson fan. I just spent the weekend watching a great couple days of volleyball.

Not enough love here for the D2 kids. Awesome play from both Alter and Hoban and congrats to Alter for turning it on in set 5. The Rose kid from Alter was phenomenal as was Gerwig from Hoban.

My son has had an outstanding experience with Hoban volleyball and from hearing the seniors speak at our Sunday mass at the hotel, it's plain to see how much that group of kids loved playing together and for their coach.

Hoban / Alter was a great match. Gerwig was amazing, was fun and scary to watch. (Alter fan) I want to give a shout out to Alter coach Craig Erfort and his coaching staff. The team played together and were outstanding, but I can tell you watching them early in the year there was no way this team was going to win a state championship.

Erfort and coaching staff developed and improved this team throughout the year. The kids talent, hard work and team chemistry combined with fantastic coaching made this team a champion. 4 in a row. 6 out last 7 are outstanding achievements. Congrats to the Knights....

Hoban / Alter was a great match. Gerwig was amazing, was fun and scary to watch. (Alter fan) I want to give a shout out to Alter coach Craig Erfort and his coaching staff. The team played together and were outstanding, but I can tell you watching them early in the year there was no way this team was going to win a state championship.

Erfort and coaching staff developed and improved this team throughout the year. The kids talent, hard work and team chemistry combined with fantastic coaching made this team a champion. 4 in a row. 6 out last 7 are outstanding achievements. Congrats to the Knights....

Indeed, congrats to Alter for gathering themselves in set 5 to pull out the title.

Volleyball is equally an individual talent game and a team game. In my mind, like pro football ... (Browns fan) if you have a strong QB, you have a chance. Without one, you have no chance.

You need a setter and 1 good Outside Hitter to make yourself a decent team and you fill in from there. Both finalists yesterday had those parts.

Without a dominant Outside, your upside is limited. Without a good setter, offense is also very limited.

Had the Alter setter, who went out with a leg injury for a few minutes late in set 4, not been able to return for set 5 - the trophy would likely be in Akron today. None of these teams are deep enough to withstand an injury to the top end of their rosters. It would have been tough to change the outcome of a state final game due to injury.

Indeed, congrats to Alter for gathering themselves in set 5 to pull out the title.

Volleyball is equally an individual talent game and a team game. In my mind, like pro football ... (Browns fan) if you have a strong QB, you have a chance. Without one, you have no chance.

You need a setter and 1 good Outside Hitter to make yourself a decent team and you fill in from there. Both finalists yesterday had those parts.

Without a dominant Outside, your upside is limited. Without a good setter, offense is also very limited.

Had the Alter setter, who went out with a leg injury for a few minutes late in set 4, not been able to return for set 5 - the trophy would likely be in Akron today. None of these teams are deep enough to withstand an injury to the top end of their rosters. It would have been tough to change the outcome of a state final game due to injury.

Totally agree with you. Did not mean to diminish the players talent, there were talented players on both sides. You are right it would have been very, very difficult to win without Josh (setter) in there setting in the 5th set.