State Tournament

Speaking of bowling....they had the Girls state finals on STO. :wallbang:

I admit that I was mildly fascinated by the girls bowling. It reminded me of the last winter Olympics when I repeatedly found myself glued to Curling.

The mistake the OHSAA made (aside from having Hockey in Columbus to begin with) was moving the semi-finals and finals back a day when all the teams were there in town already. That ensured that practically no one would be able to see any of the 3 games. And if the Bluejackets can't give the OHSAA
Sunday afternoon, then another venue should be found. There's no way to make a weekend of it when the Sunday game isn't until 6:30.

I admit that I was mildly fascinated by the girls bowling. It reminded me of the last winter Olympics when I repeatedly found myself glued to Curling.

Ha! That's funny you say that, I was glued to Curling as well - and it had nothing to do with the sisters from Bemidji, MN. It was all about the sport!!!!:blush:

The mistake the OHSAA made (aside from having Hockey in Columbus to begin with) was moving the semi-finals and finals back a day when all the teams were there in town already. That ensured that practically no one would be able to see any of the 3 games. And if the Bluejackets can't give the OHSAA
Sunday afternoon, then another venue should be found. There's no way to make a weekend of it when the Sunday game isn't until 6:30.

first of all, curling is awesome :)

as for hockey, I think of the semi finals could have been in the morning, the finals could have then been that same evening. Boys Volleyball is not OHSAA sanctioned, but they have a pretty good system. Four State Quarter Final games on Friday, Two state semi-final games Saturday morning, one State Final Saturday evening.

For Hockey, You might not need to more the quarter finals to the same location, but having the semi finals and finals on the same day could be significantly easier (and cheaper) for people traveling to the events, not to mention cheaper for the ohsaa with only one day of venue rental.

As for this year, I dont know if a new venue would have been able to be set up on such short notice. Obviously Value City Arena was in use. I think St. John's arena was also unavailable. What other major venue's in columbus could house the hockey tournament?

I know that in some tourneys hockey teams play twice in the same day, but I don't want to see that at the Frozen Four.

I know that in some tourneys hockey teams play twice in the same day, but I don't want to see that at the Frozen Four.

Agreed. This is a physical contact sport. Playing back to back days is already less than ideal.

mannhoodd: When I mentioned finding a different venue, I didn't mean at the last minute. What I meant is that if the Blue Jackets want the Championship game, they need to make their arena available at decent times. If they cannot commit to that, then it should be held someplace else. This year they had a 3pm Bluejackets game, with the finals scheduled for 6:30 on Sunday (they are usually at Noon or 1pm Sunday). What are all the parents and fans who came down Saturday supposed to do until 6:30 on Sunday? If you got a hotel you need to be checked out by 11am... maybe 2pm at the latest.... then you get home late on Sunday. At Brooklyn or BG, the game is not going to get rescheduled or moved around.

This year they had a 3pm Bluejackets game, with the finals scheduled for 6:30 on Sunday (they are usually at Noon or 1pm Sunday). What are all the parents and fans who came down Saturday supposed to do until 6:30 on Sunday?
I think part of the idea was they wanted them to buy tickets to the Bluejackets game... Columbus is currently 28th in attendance out of 30 NHL teams.

Fantastic new venue, but hardly reasonable seeing as how a southern team makes the final four once a blue moon. Too much travel for what will most likely be 3 or more teams from the northern half of the state in the final four.

LOL, travel should not be an issue.

you are correct sir!

LOL, travel should not be an issue.

Has anyone ever played at that Wooster rink?

Top-notch facility, privately-funded by the Rubbermaid fortune guys for the community and I believe they were adding the second rink.

Yeah, lodging may be a consideration. Maybe an Amish bed-n-breakfast?

I would like to witness the meeting of the hockey people with the Amish.

John Book!

Fantastic new venue, but hardly reasonable seeing as how a southern team makes the final four once a blue moon. Too much travel for what will most likely be 3 or more teams from the northern half of the state in the final four.

Disagreed, Southern Ohio has been on the rise. Sure they don't do so well against a St. Ed's or St. Francis (actually Moeller tied St. Francis 3-3 at the St. John's Invitational) but the SWOHSHL south teams have been building up there programs and can do quite well against some the the Northern teams. Plus Miami has a state of the art facility and a great campus surrounding it.