State Tournament

Plain Dealer reporter Tim Warsinskey is writing stories for the Enquirer? Doesn't the Enquirer have writers covering high schools?

the enquirer has great coverage of division 1 football and basketball. if you are in any other division or play any other sport, you are SOL:wallbang: in terms of getting the recognition you deserve.

So St. Francis starts a brawl and St. Edward is short two starters because of it? I guess rules or rules, but I hope the refs made the right call.

Will the game be on TV tonight?

Yea, not sure how you can keep these kids out of tonights game. They essentially got jumped. Granted he acted like a jacka**, but you have to defend yourself.

So St. Francis starts a brawl and St. Edward is short two starters because of it? I guess rules or rules, but I hope the refs made the right call.

Will the game be on TV tonight?

i think it's actually going to end up "tape delay". STO plans to broadcast the girls basketball game live and the hockey tomorrow morning.

I don't think it's even getting tape-delayed. No radio, no tv, no webcast.

I wish they'd move it back to Bowling Green and/or Brooklyn, or any place north of Mansfield... at least for a few more years and Central and Southern Ohio become more competitive. They should have let everyone come home last night and played the game in Cleveland. Students can't go, fans can't go, and no one is covering it. Great job!

You guys aren't really trying to defend this are you? Sportsmanship isn't just about being a good guy and doing the right thing. The foundation of sportsmanship is also that men, if provoked, can act like animals. So you don't provoke your opponent (especially when they are down and out), you behave like a sportsman.

Once your kid (and at least one other that I saw) started taunting their student section, all bets were off and I'm sure that's how the refs viewed it too.

It continues to amaze me how high school hockey cannot police itself.:rolleyes: (for Genco).

You guys aren't really trying to defend this are you? Sportsmanship isn't just about being a good guy and doing the right thing. The foundation of sportsmanship is also that men, if provoked, can act like animals. So you don't provoke your opponent (especially when they are down and out), you behave like a sportsman.

Once your kid (and at least one other that I saw) started taunting their student section, all bets were off and I'm sure that's how the refs viewed it too.

It continues to amaze me how high school hockey cannot police itself.:rolleyes: (for Genco).

I don't see anyone defending Kivett. I didn't see of his teammates address the SFS students or put their face to the glass. The kid appears to have a maturity issue. Stop the presses... a HS kid acted like a jerk. Problem is, the penalty for acting like a jerk is 2 minutes, the penalty for fighting is 5 minutes and a game. Which one should he receive?

Let's go back a few years. If an Eagle player punched Terry Walsh in the back of the head after one of Walsh's regular "displays"... should Walsh be suspended for the next game?

When an athlete behaves that way, he has opened Pandora's Box and exposes himself to whatever happens next. And that goes for whatever school a kid plays for.

At this point, it's petty to pick at the ref's handling of it. The kid provoked a brawl. It was his fault. Period. He has to deal with the consequences.

who had a right to be on the ice at that moment???

When an athlete behaves that way, he has opened Pandora's Box and exposes himself to whatever happens next. And that goes for whatever school a kid plays for.

At this point, it's petty to pick at the ref's handling of it. The kid provoked a brawl. It was his fault. Period. He has to deal with the consequences.

So the attacking players who illegally entered the field of play have no responsibility or penalty, eh?

The Eagle player had a right to be on the ice. Nobody else.

Your reasoning just issued a blanket pass to any senior with a grudge in his last game to enter the field of play and start a brawl...

So the attacking players who illegally entered the field of play have no responsibility or penalty, eh?

The Eagle player had a right to be on the ice. Nobody else.

Your reasoning just issued a blanket pass to any senior with a grudge in his last game to enter the field of play and start a brawl...

Eh??? I like that... Canadian sport, use "eh".

I did not say, nor do I believe, that others aren't responsible for their own bad behavior. Punish them too. The point is that your kid (and your fans) have no moral basis to complain. He started it. He provoked it. The rest is nitpicking.

My feelings are that I would personally sit the kid for the first period of the State finals game. I don't think it's up to the officials to make up rules.

Regarding "provoking a brawl"... What constitutes provoking a brawl? Did he taunt the bench or take a run at the goalie? That's like saying if you bump into someone at a bar you deserve to be put in the hospital b/c you "opened pandora's box". I've seen 1,000 celebrations or similar antics in HS athletics and I can't say I remember a reaction like SFS had.

If a player points at the opponents student section after draining a tough 3pt shot, is that Brawl worthy? What if a player hangs on the rim and styles a little bit? Is that fighting time?

Lastly... what is the penalty here for SFS?

I actually don't care much that Kivett is suspended, b/c this might be what he needs to grow up a little. I think the penalty is a little harsh.... But I'm more interested in this from a rules perspective. Did the refs get it right? Is taunting the same as fighting if it leads to getting hit? What discretion do the refs have or are supposed to have? etc.

Embarrasment for both schools

Can someone please post exactly what happened at the end of the St. Eds TSF game. Was the ejection of the two St. Eds players the right call? Did anyone from St. Eds get hurt, if so, are they going to be able to play tonight?

Thanks

Empty netter, skater momemntum rolls him by huge SF student section near SF bench and he stops and starts pounding on the glass at SF fans (saw from behind but pretty obvious he wasn't waving to his mother!) Couple teammates join him in celebrating but he doesn't turn around to join them...then SF skater and goalie and others all start punching and pushing...it was a horrible way to end a well played game by both teams and IMO tainted Ed's victory and SF's great season...was there for the next game, obviously; but I left with a poor opinion of both schools and doubt that's what the coaching staff and school administration would want others to think about their teams and school.

So, did Kivett throw a punch, or was his only infraction the taunting? I think that makes a difference ar far as what the ruling should have been...
However, I would support some sort of punishment from the school.

Eh??? I like that... Canadian sport, use "eh".

I did not say, nor do I believe, that others aren't responsible for their own bad behavior. Punish them too. The point is that your kid (and your fans) have no moral basis to complain. He started it. He provoked it. The rest is nitpicking.

Who had a right to be on the ice at that moment? Who did not?

Momentum carried the kid to that particular spot on the ice. No matter how what you think of SEHS athletes they are not going to jeopardize a state championship by brawling.

But if you've got nothing to lose....

Sure looks like he did....

So, did Kivett throw a punch, or was his only infraction the taunting? I think that makes a difference ar far as what the ruling should have been...
However, I would support some sort of punishment from the school.

I have my own video and when the first SF skater comes into the group, it appears he and RK are fighting, ref skates up between them quickly and tries to break up and then more skaters from both teams start throwing punches. You do see RK then skate out away from the boards and back towards his bench but he does skate back to a pile and throw a weak punch before stepping out and cheering his team's fighters on. Then you see players on the bench pulling he and #24 further away from the fight.

wow, this is quite ironic...on march 3rd the Toledo Blade issued an article about how St. Francis displayed amazing sportsmanship, and how St. John's displays quite the opposite.

This makes not only SFS but all of nw ohio look pretty bad in the world of hockey now.

Congrats to the Eagles on their 11th State Hockey title, and coach Rob Whidden on his first of many. The Eagles are now 2 for 2 this winter, and Basketball will try to make it 3 for 3 this weekend.

Score?

Congratulations to the Eagles and Coach Rob!

37 OHSAA team titles places them 3rd all time behind Upper Arlington (40) and St. Xavier (39).

Congrats to the Eagles on their 11th State Hockey title, and coach Rob Whidden on his first of many. The Eagles are now 2 for 2 this winter, and Basketball will try to make it 3 for 3 this weekend.

Yowsers, you guys got the triple a few years back, didn't you? What year was that? Was it 1999 or 2000 maybe?

Anyways, congratulations to St. Edward on another hockey title. I'd like to see you bring the basketball title back to Cleveland, too!

Yowsers, you guys got the triple a few years back, didn't you? What year was that? Was it 1999 or 2000 maybe?

Anyways, congratulations to St. Edward on another hockey title. I'd like to see you bring the basketball title back to Cleveland, too!

'98 was Baseball, Wrestling, Baseball. No one has ever done the winter sweep. I think Benedictine is the only other school to win 3 in one year.

Several schools have won 3 in one school year. Upper Arlington won 4 in 1986-1987, though that included one girls title.

Schools to win 3 Boys' titles in one school year:
St. Edward 1997-1998
Upper Arlington 1986-1987
Walsh Jesuit 1990-1991
Benedictine 1996-1997
St. Ignatius 2001-2002
Archbishop Alter 1998-1999

FYI, paid attendance was 684.

Yes, less than 700 people attended this game. While there were some serious circumstances that led to this, they really need to move this game back to BG or Brooklyn, not that it'll happen.

Congrats to the St. Edward hockey team.