State Tournament

Predictions?

St. Edward 4 - St. Francis De Sales 3
Gilmour 5 - St. Xavier 1

St. Edward 5 - Gilmour 1

http://www.ohshca.com/senior_all_star_game.htm

There's that for starters. Hope this one works a little better.

Predictions:

I think St. X's dream season continues with another emotional win. St.X does the unthinkable and crashes the party as the first ever Cincinnati representative in the State finals.

X - 4
GA - 2

Unfortunately, there's not enough left in the tank to skate with the horses of St.Eds and Francis, or match their experience and discipline.

That said,

St. Ed - 5
Frannies - 3

And in the end St. Ed gets back to the promised land...

St. Ed - 6
St. X - 2

However, this sport freely associates with one of the greatest upsets in history. A St. X miracle on ice would be a heck of a story, and without a doubt one of the greatest upsets/cinderella stories in all ohio high school sports.

Do you believe in Miracles?

GA gets its way and makes it to the state frozen four thumbing its nose at the GCHL. Does anyone know how many of the "varsity" players are from Ohio and how many are from out of state? Also I really think Cleveland needs to rethink the way it does its divisional alignment for hockey. I think the good old days of the superior Red North powers may be behind us and it may be time to allow for a more geographically based league.

Auggie - I think GA field two different "varsity" teams. One team competes in OHSAA and the other team is their "prep" team, that plays out of state kids, etc....

Whether Varsity or Prep team, the kids may be from out-of-state either way... Though mostly from Ohio, Gilmour attracts from all over.

Senior All Star Game (roster link- http://www.ohshca.com/senior_all_star_game.htmat 10 am....players on teams in finals are ineligible to play); followed by Bluejackets game at 3 pm and then State Finals at 6:30....what channel is STO?

A lot of people from the SWOHSHL prepost team, The "Nugs", and the CHC prepost team, Team Columbus, made the Allstar list. I do that they have "States" for pre-post/travel teams this weekend in Cleveland. I believe the finals/consolation games are all sunday morning. Will they play in the Allstar game? Will the West/South team have more than 10 skaters?

heh, something to think about

Let's talk about the state games here. Who does Gilmour have? Who is their talent? Who are X's playmakers? Who does Ed's have/Francis have (besides that Dyer kid?)? Let people know...get the discussion going.

Ed's has a solid goalie in Ginsburg and Buttita is a great playmaker at forward, they are also a hard hitting physical team that passes well and creates many opportunities to score if they out-hit you

Eds will also skate three solid lines and use a fourth every so often to wear down the opponents.

i will probably be able to let you know once I am there, but I dont know if I'll have internet inside the arena. The st x game will be available later this week to watch at www.waycross.tv .

GA gets its way and makes it to the state frozen four thumbing its nose at the GCHL. Does anyone know how many of the "varsity" players are from Ohio and how many are from out of state? Also I really think Cleveland needs to rethink the way it does its divisional alignment for hockey. I think the good old days of the superior Red North powers may be behind us and it may be time to allow for a more geographically based league.

Auggie, Gilmour has 7 out of state players on its 25 man Varsity A roster (the team playing in Columbus today).

I agree entirely about the restructuring of the divisions in Cleveland hockey. I think the top 12-15 teams should be put together and split in to two or three divisions. Also, I think the league should look in to some of the creative scheduling techniques that other leagues in the state use to get the kids some more games.

As a st. x student who knows nothing about hockey...can someon tell me if and when they played? And if they plaed could someone post the score?

As a st. x student who knows nothing about hockey...can someon tell me if and when they played? And if they plaed could someone post the score?

X vs Gilmour game is suppose to start at 8:30PM and they will probably start a little late.

Apparently there was a fight on the ice at the St. Edwards/St. Francis game. It started after St. Edwards scored their 4th goal. not sure how big of a fight it was.

The posts said Gilmore up 2-0. Then it said 2-2. Thenext thread said no still 2-0 Gilmore. What is the score?

This is a perfect example of why Yappi is still the best site for High School sports. Even though some of the fans can be a little over the top they would never post false scores!

The posts said Gilmore up 2-0. Then it said 2-2. Thenext thread said no still 2-0 Gilmore. What is the score?

This is a perfect example of why Yappi is still the best site for High School sports. Even though some of the fans can be a little over the top they would never post false scores!

I saw the same thing and I am assuming the guy who said x scored 2 quick goals was joking.

Looks like good old John Malloy has finally taken another team to the State Finals. Even though he runs laps around the junior Whidden in terms of coaching experience, and even though he has sprinkled his roster with out of state players who came to the school for the main purpose of playing hockey, I still like the Eagles by 3-4 goals. What an anticlimatic way to end the high school hockey season.

St. Ed's better keep their heads screwed down, they're not state champs yet. That being said, they should win tomorrow.

Objective review the fight at the end of the game.

Can someone please post exactly what happened at the end of the St. Eds TSF game. Was the ejection of the two St. Eds players the right call? Did anyone from St. Eds get hurt, if so, are they going to be able to play tonight?

Thanks

A 4-2 final score for St. Xavier against Gilmour is fairly respectable. It's not great, but not terrible either.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080310/SPT0301/803100366/

St. Xavier loses in state semifinals
BY TIM WARSINSKEY | ENQUIRER CONTRIBUTOR

COLUMBUS - St. Xavier's first trip to the state hockey semifinals was a long weekend, but not long enough for the Bombers.

They'll head home today after losing to Gilmour Academy, 4-2, Sunday night in Nationwide Arena.

St. Xavier (16-13-5) endured Saturday's blizzard and a long wait Sunday.

The semifinal did not start until 9 p.m., after the Columbus Blue Jackets' game against Tampa Bay and after Lakewood St. Edward's 4-2 victory over Toledo St. Francis in the first semifinal.

The semifinals originally were scheduled for Saturday, but were postponed by the snow storm.

Gilmour (23-17-1), also making its first state semifinal appearance, will play 10-time state champion Lakewood St. Edward (28-11-3) today at 5 p.m.

St. Edward will be missing two starters, who were ejected in a last-minute brawl.

St. Xavier fell behind early and dug a deeper hole in the third period when the Bombers faced two 5-on-3 Gilmour power plays.

The first resulted in a Gilmour goal by Roc Gossett and a 3-0 lead.

St. Xavier broke the shutout on senior Jordan Kamp's goal with assists from Josh Miller and Stephen Louie with 4:46 remaining.

St. Xavier killed the second 5-on-3, during which St. Xavier goalie Joe Gieringer stopped seven shots in a 45-second span.

Gilmour did score an even-strength goal by Gossett with assists from Davis and Noah Hershamn with 1:54 to play.

St. Xavier clearly was worn out, though it was not done scoring. Louie scored on a power play with 41 seconds remaining.

Gieringer finished with 33 saves, and Gilmour sophomore Austin Severson stopped 21 shots.

Sophomore Billy Davis and Gossett each scored two goals for Gilmour.

They play on Gilmour's second line with junior Andrew Phillips, who had three assists.

Gossett and Davis each had an assist.

Gilmour took a 2-0 lead on goals Davis in the first and second periods.

In the night's first semifinal, Alex Novack, Vinny Buttitta and Ross Kivett each had a goal and an assist and Robbie Ginsberg stopped 29 shots to lead Lakewood St. Edward past Toledo St. Francis. Brett Carter also scored for the Eagles (28-11-3). Kivett's was an empty-net goal.

Plain Dealer reporter Tim Warsinskey is writing stories for the Enquirer? Doesn't the Enquirer have writers covering high schools?