State Tournament Location

Columbus Bound

I may have missed this on another thread, and if so, I apologize.

Where is the state tournament going to be this upcoming season? Is it going back to The Schott or a different location? I know there was some discussion at the end of last season about it possibly not returning to The Schott?

Thanks!

Info has not been released as far as I know. Girls Bball locked up UD Arena. I have a feeling wrestling is going to get screwed again.

They should look at the Covelli Center like the OAC does. Or something similar. They cannot do what they did last year, those kids got shafted imo.

In the email coaches just got from OHSAA, they said they expect to have the location finalized within this month.

Info has not been released as far as I know. Girls Bball locked up UD Arena. I have a feeling wrestling is going to get screwed again.

The way the email reads (to me) - while we may not get exactly what/where we want, it seems all 3 division will be in one location. Which I do not think is doable anywhere but an arena of some sort.

The way the email reads (to me) - while we may not get exactly what/where we want, it seems all 3 division will be in one location. Which I do not think is doable anywhere but an arena of some sort.
I hope your right. I dont so much mind the location...i just hope all divisions together, and more importantly, the ability to have SPECTATORS!! The D2 location was one of the smallest gyms we wrestled in all year. Packed in like sardines, for the good of the pandemic lol. what a joke.

I hope your right. I dont so much mind the location...i just hope all divisions together, and more importantly, the ability to have SPECTATORS!! The D2 location was one of the smallest gyms we wrestled in all year. Packed in like sardines, for the good of the pandemic lol. what a joke.
Agreed. Darby was pretty good given the situation, but i understand the frustrations at the other site(s).

Maybe they sent out multiple inquiries and are waiting on the cheapest venue??? My guess. It's been almost 6 months since state and still no venue!!!!

Maybe they sent out multiple inquiries and are waiting on the cheapest venue??? My guess. It's been almost 6 months since state and still no venue!!!!
Football was going year to year on their venues for the last 4 seasons at least. The season would start without knowing where the championship game was going to be played. An issue? I guess, but not one unique to wrestling.

I have heard that there have been negotiations with Ohio State, but there is a delay due to a cost consideration.

Appreciate all the feedback. I really hope they can have it at the Schott again. The Schott makes the whole experience memorable for the qualifying wrestlers. Although, I will also add I will be happy for a smooth season and post-season!

Wolstein Center would be a nice venue. I know its not a central location. But i think for state people would suck it up and travel. We had to go 3.5 hours for districts last year.

Wolstein Center would be a nice venue. I know its not a central location. But i think for state people would suck it up and travel. We had to go 3.5 hours for districts last year.
When the NCAA D2 tournament was held there 2 or 3 years ago, I was really surprised at how small it was on the floor. I am not sure that they could get the required number of mats down.
To the point about it not being "central", neither was Cincinnati Gardens (a real hole) or the Nutter Arena. The NE guys just had to deal with it.

St. Johns=6 mats, place top 6 with pull through
Nutter Center=8 mats, place top 6 no pull through
Shcott=10 mats, place top 8
There is a history on how they have ran the state tournament and floor space.

Absolutely terrible location and nowhere close to large enough.
Terrible location? Not sure what you mean. The facility is old? The facility is in a bad location for parking? The location is in Columbus ? Please elaborate.
I also kinda like the stands as they were pretty steep and you could see over the person in front of you. Just my opinion.

Terrible location? Not sure what you mean. The facility is old? The facility is in a bad location for parking? The location is in Columbus ? Please elaborate.
I also kinda like the stands as they were pretty steep and you could see over the person in front of you. Just my opinion.
Too small, parking is awful, the seats are wood and unbelievably hard, the seats are very narrow, the aisles are far too steep, need I go on?
You have to remember that your state tournament appearance was in that building so you have a sentimental attachment to it. I get it.
BTW, I do remember your Dad going crazy running up and down the aisle too!
However, there are buildings that are much newer and nicer that are far better for spectators.
Truthfully I am more than surprised that OSU has left this building standing.

Too small, parking is awful, the seats are wood and unbelievably hard, the seats are very narrow, the aisles are far too steep, need I go on?
You have to remember that your state tournament appearance was in that building so you have a sentimental attachment to it. I get it.
BTW, I do remember your Dad going crazy running up and down the aisle too!
However, there are buildings that are much newer and nicer that are far better for spectators.
Truthfully I am more than surprised that OSU has left this building standing.
The seats are to hard? Narrow? To steep? Jim you getting soft on me? LOL

The seats are to hard? Narrow? To steep? Jim you getting soft on me? LOL
I have always been soft!

The State Duals were held there, when the OHSAA ran them, and there was zero room on the floor for teammates with 6 mats down.
BTW, this was a lousy location 30 years ago. IMO, it holds memories but nothing more.

I have always been soft!

The State Duals were held there, when the OHSAA ran them, and there was zero room on the floor for teammates with 6 mats down.
BTW, this was a lousy location 30 years ago. IMO, it holds memories but nothing more.
To each his own. I liked the damp smelly place. Reminded me of a wrestling room. Or a boxing gym. I don’t remember ever hearing people complain about it and I can only remember wanting more then anything my Junior year to make it down there. I guess you’re right. The newer venues are more spectator friendly and I guess in the end that’s what the OHSAA and fans want. To me it wouldn’t matter if there were fans or not. BTW I never could hear anyone in the stands. Other then my pops. And who couldn’t hear him. Hahahaa

Just one guys thoughts...
Not a fan of pull throughs. I feel everyone deserves a chance to wrestle back at that level. Especially without any seeding criteria outside of previous placement.
Not a fan of placing half of the bracket. I have no problem with placing 8 but there needs to be a larger bracket if that's the case.
While the Schott is a great venue... it needs to make sense for the OHSAA. Having it there because it's nice is far from a good reason.
I'm a fan of pulling all of the divisions together under one roof, but I also can see how using three nice facilities (north, central, south) that rotate the three divisions each year could allow for a unique experience, although it may not be cost effective.
I also think that 3 locations could open up a 5 placement qualification from the districts... eliminating the fuss about kids throwing matches to improve their draw. 20 man bracket... district champs earn 1st round bye.
While last year was not the state tournament we have all become accustom to; it did help to control some of the cost that families have to deal with. I'm not a cheap guy, but I don't think paying more for tickets is a good thing... Ohio State Univ. has plenty of money. It needs to be reasonable or we need to walk away. Tom Ryan should get involved if we are going to have it at Ohio State... He has the pull and reaps the rewards. He also has been very involved over the years bringing duals to high schools and building a pressence.

Just one guys thoughts...
Not a fan of pull throughs. I feel everyone deserves a chance to wrestle back at that level. Especially without any seeding criteria outside of previous placement.
Not a fan of placing half of the bracket. I have no problem with placing 8 but there needs to be a larger bracket if that's the case.
While the Schott is a great venue... it needs to make sense for the OHSAA. Having it there because it's nice is far from a good reason.
I'm a fan of pulling all of the divisions together under one roof, but I also can see how using three nice facilities (north, central, south) that rotate the three divisions each year could allow for a unique experience, although it may not be cost effective.
I also think that 3 locations could open up a 5 placement qualification from the districts... eliminating the fuss about kids throwing matches to improve their draw. 20 man bracket... district champs earn 1st round bye.
While last year was not the state tournament we have all become accustom to; it did help to control some of the cost that families have to deal with. I'm not a cheap guy, but I don't think paying more for tickets is a good thing... Ohio State Univ. has plenty of money. It needs to be reasonable or we need to walk away. Tom Ryan should get involved if we are going to have it at Ohio State... He has the pull and reaps the rewards. He also has been very involved over the years bringing duals to high schools and building a pressence.
Some good points Coach!

The idea of having each division at a different location is terrible for “fans.” I know a lot of people who attend who don’t have kids participating. Having to decide which tournament to go to will kill this aspect.

I like Coach Root’s idea... if it’s at 3 different locations, then each district gets 5 qualifiers in each weight. 20-man state brackets. Still place top 8. But not at a high school.
I LOVE IT!!!