State Tournament - Division I

Wrestlingfan21

What sticks out to me right away is the first round matchup of Joy (Wadsworth) vs Fenton (Elyria) at 120. If on other sides this could have been a state finals matchup!

What sticks out to me right away is the first round matchup of Joy (Wadsworth) vs Fenton (Elyria) at 120. If on other sides this could have been a state finals matchup!
Not sure who received the toughest initial match Joy or Brugh. Both could win but not likely. If your goal is a championship, or even top three, they were probably going to wrestle eventually.

State finals matchup? they didn't even win their respective Districts! You don't win by paper rankings, you win on the mat!

State finals matchup? they didn't even win their respective Districts! You don't win by paper rankings, you win on the mat!
Correct, could have been a state finals matchup if on opposite sides, they are both that good! I'll still take the winner of this match to be in the finals. I guess a state champion has never lost at district the week before?

And what happens at districts doesn't decide what happens at state...you can consult Ty Wilson on that.

I do agree that rankings don't mean anything, but that's the great part. It will all be decided on the mat.

I'm not sure about the verbiage to use, but the fact Joy was upset by Molchak in a close match and McBurney was upset by Vazsonyi in a very unexpected blowout had the potential to create chaos on the state bracket. That was what happened when the two northern districts got paired together for the opening round.

So only the #1 seeds win at states. Lol. In case you missed it a 2 and 3 seeds have only lost once ( many times SV or by a hair at the end )

Is there a listing available of how many wrestlers each school is sending to states? I could count them up myself but was trying to avoid that.

I'm not sure about the verbiage to use, but the fact Joy was upset by Molchak in a close match and McBurney was upset by Vazsonyi in a very unexpected blowout had the potential to create chaos on the state bracket. That was what happened when the two northern districts got paired together for the opening round.
Will you be doing a new projection for State? Thanks!

Correct, could have been a state finals matchup if on opposite sides, they are both that good! I'll still take the winner of this match to be in the finals. I guess a state champion has never lost at district the week before?
Sorry, I do agree results change from Districts to States, wasn't trying to start an argument. Just trying to say that you win on the mat not by rankings.

Borofan has the D1 team race as:

St Eds - 153
Perrysburg - 152

This adds a lot of interest for the impartial observer.
Not to bring on anyone's wrath, but I would really like to see Perrysburg win it over Ed's. Ed's has a heck of a lot returning next season, and it's been over a decade since a public school last won it.

138 - What is the story behind Burnett default to Eaton at Perrysburg in the semi final? Did they start the match? Burnett had 2 pins, a tech and a major in his other matches.

That would be a negative sir. If you look at the bracket there is no placement that is advantageous.
#2 Burnett has #3 VanDyke and #4 Ayoub in his half. And #6 Kleinberg
My days of pouring over the HS brackets has passed thankfully.
3,4, and 6 in his half. What if he was the 1?

St Edward lost points at 132 not qualifying, should be close with Perrysburgh every 1/2pt matters this year. Good luck and health to all wrestlers

I hav Coffman pulling off a "Michigan" in D1 and sneaking pass St.Eds (PSU) and Perrysburg (Iowa) by .5 point.

Last edited:
I hav Coffman pulling off a "Michigan" in D1 and sneaking pass St.Eds (PSU) and Perrysburg (Iowa) by .5 point.
Just my opinion, but if any team has a chance to beat Ed's it's going to be Perrysburg. Saw Wadsworth beat Coffman for 3rd in the State Duals. Believe in Columbus it will be DC extracting revenge and taking 3rd.