State Rankings

Cincinnati folks, after X/Moe/Eld, is there a good sense of whether anybody stands out in D1? The regional poll next goes with OakHills, Fairfield, Mason, Sycamore and Loveland, leaving Walnut, Milford and others on the outside. Are any of those seven teams way above (or below) the rest? Or is it "anybody can beat anybody on a given day?"

Based on scores only - I'd say that Oak Hills, Mason and Fairfield are the next batch, but still a substantial drop off from the 3 GCL teams. Then Sycamore, Walnut Hills not so much further down and everyone else filing in after that.

I'd agree with ads. Oak Hills scheduled tougher than the others so that's why their record is probably where it's at. I'd say they're most likely 4th, but we'll find out when they play Fairfield and Mason.

Cincinnati folks, after X/Moe/Eld, is there a good sense of whether anybody stands out in D1? The regional poll next goes with OakHills, Fairfield, Mason, Sycamore and Loveland, leaving Walnut, Milford and others on the outside. Are any of those seven teams way above (or below) the rest? Or is it "anybody can beat anybody on a given day?"

I don't think Loveland should even be top 10, they lost to both Milford and Walnut last week...

Mason, Oak Hills and Fairfield being the next group seems about right. Walnut and Sycamore both beat Milford head to head (Walnut in 3, Sycamore in 5). I think they could be closer to Mason/OH/FF though, as Sycamore took a game from Lakota East (which is no easy feat).

I'd agree with ads. Oak Hills scheduled tougher than the others so that's why their record is probably where it's at. I'd say they're most likely 4th, but we'll find out when they play Fairfield and Mason.

Yeah, records don't mean much. Head to head matches will be what makes or breaks a lot of the teams.

Mason played St X last week and took a game (although I heard St X started a weak lineup).

Sycamore has Moe at the end of the season.

Walnut has St X and Elder later.

Oak Hills went super aggressive, for sure, with all 4 GCL south schools and some other tough games.

Centerville Elite should be very interesting in a few weeks. Anybody know who’s invited?? Besides X/Moe/Elder/Darby/Centerville??

Last edited:
And, honestly, I don't know much about Walnut, but, based on their schedule and record, they should probably be getting more love. They beat Briggs and gave Olentangy close games. Of course, they have quite the tough stretch coming up that could show us who they really are.

It'd be kinda cool to see a newer program give the top dogs a fight.

Centerville Elite should be very interesting in a few weeks. Anybody know who’s invited?? Besides X/Moe/Elder/Darby/Centerville??

I'll take a look at schedules tonight - I would imagine Beavercreek and St Ignatius would be there. Not sure if Mt Vernon or Gahanna would have been invited as their success has been somewhat unexpected this year. Davidson has participated in the past as has Pickerington North, Northmont, St Edward.

And, honestly, I don't know much about Walnut, but, based on their schedule and record, they should probably be getting more love. They beat Briggs and gave Olentangy close games. Of course, they have quite the tough stretch coming up that could show us who they really are.

It'd be kinda cool to see a newer program give the top dogs a fight.

Just an FYI -- Due to prom, Walnut had 6 players for the finals on Saturday. I believe with a full team they would have beaten Olentangy. Their 5'-4"-ish DS played all of the way around as an outside hitter - among other 2nd string players playing and/or out of position.

Just an FYI -- Due to prom, Walnut had 6 players for the finals on Saturday. I believe with a full team they would have beaten Olentangy. Their 5'-4"-ish DS played all of the way around as an outside hitter - among other 2nd string players playing and/or out of position.

Interesting to note. It's always disappointing to me to see players skipping practices or games due to things like prom and spring break

Mason swept Fairfield in 3 games last night (25-22, 25-22, 25-19). My attention turns to Oak Hills vs Mason next Thursday, now.

Mason swept Fairfield in 3 games last night (25-22, 25-22, 25-19). My attention turns to Oak Hills vs Mason next Thursday, now.

All really close. Could have an Elder, X, Moe situation between Oak Hills, Mason and Fairfield where they all can beat each other on any given day

Interesting to note. It's always disappointing to me to see players skipping practices or games due to things like prom and spring break

You can look at it either way. Why can't coaches build their schedule to avoid prom day -- or as my son's coach did, schedule a 10 am tri-match for that day so the kids are done in plenty of time?

You can look at it either way. Why can't coaches build their schedule to avoid prom day -- or as my son's coach did, schedule a 10 am tri-match for that day so the kids are done in plenty of time?

It depends on the school so not every situation is the same. Sometimes the AD does the scheduling, sometimes it's the coach.

Personally, I'd rather be a little late to prom than not play altogether. Players also need to realize that they're gonna have to miss out on or be late to some things when they commit to a team. I wouldn't expect my coach or anyone's coach to schedule around the kids' social lives to appease them; if there's an opportunity to play a tough opponent, take it

Commitment to your teammates and your program truly shows where that program happens to be in the pecking order in the state. Could you image if the starting QB decided to skip his Friday night football game for his girlfriends prom...?? Commitment to a high level program at any sport means sacrificing something .... What would you be willing to give up or sacrifice for your team or your program ?

Commitment to your teammates and your program truly shows where that program happens to be in the pecking order in the state. Could you image if the starting QB decided to skip his Friday night football game for his girlfriends prom...?? Commitment to a high level program at any sport means sacrificing something .... What would you be willing to give up or sacrifice for your team or your program ?

hot take. lol

Most kids have 1 or 2 chances to go to their own prom. Most of these teams play 20+ matches per season. I think a school/sport/social life balance is good for the kids.

hot take. lol

Most kids have 1 or 2 chances to go to their own prom. Most of these teams play 20+ matches per season. I think a school/sport/social life balance is good for the kids.

I'd agree that it's good, but, if some kids skip and others don't, how does that look or feel to the kids who show up every day? In my experiences, the kids who are there every day get frustrated and question their teammates commitment.

I'd agree that it's good, but, if some kids skip and others don't, how does that look or feel to the kids who show up every day? In my experiences, the kids who are there every day get frustrated and question their teammates commitment.

If it's happening every day, sure. I haven't heard about Walnut players skipping matches other than this. Maybe they had permission or it was planned? We're just speculating for no good reason it seems.

Bottom line do you love your team and teammates...?? If not, go to prom! Just my thoughts.

Yeah, sure, because it should be an either/or thing. This is not hard. Prom is scheduled waaaaayy in advance at every school, and is one of the key events of the year for most kids. We're talking about regular-season matches, and coaches should do their best to schedule around prom. I'm 46 and can tell you who I took to dances 29 and 30 years ago. Can I tell you the results of every regular-season cross country or track meet I ran? No.

Agree to disagree!! It’s called commitment and if i had to guess your son doesn’t have an all out commitment to his team or program. You can go to prom late.

Agree to disagree!! It’s called commitment and if i had to guess your son doesn’t have an all out commitment to his team or program. You can go to prom late.

You're exactly correct, coach. My son does NOT have an "all-out" 1000% commitment to his team. Because he's also been committed to his schoolwork, his college search, his leadership roles, family time, friends, etc., etc. The balance that Falcon mentioned above is something that we preach, rather than putting all of your eggs in one basket. It's worked out really well for our son. Have a great season!

If it's happening every day, sure. I haven't heard about Walnut players skipping matches other than this. Maybe they had permission or it was planned? We're just speculating for no good reason it seems.

I didn't mean to single out Walnut at all. I should've made my statements more broad, as it's how I feel for every team. Walnut's a smaller, less serious example than other ones I've heard about. I do know some coaches that seem to intentionally schedule on prom days and that's asinine as well. There needs to be some give and take from both the coaches and players when it comes to these sorts of things.

Back to the topic at hand - this week's Rankings:

Division 1:
1. Hilliard Darby (18) - 202
2. St Xavier (1) - 173
3. Archbishop Moeller - 169
4. Mt Vernon (2) - 154
5. Beavercreek - 112
6. Gahanna Lincoln - 99
7. Elder - 97
8. Lakota East - 88
9. St Ignatius - 61
10. Jackson - 15
..... Olentangy 14
..... Hilliard Bradley - 10
..... Northmont - 7
..... Dublin Coffman - 5

Division 2:
1. St Charles (18) - 216
2. Bishop Fenwick (3) - 185
3. Archbishop Alter (1) - 180
4. Walsh Jesuit - 97
5. LaSalle - 96
6. Carroll - 89
7. Badin - 88
8. Bishop Watterson - 58
9. Archbishop Hoban - 56
10. Chaminade Julienne - 45
..... Briggs - 40
..... Worthington Kilbourne - 17
..... Villa Angela-St Joseph - 13
..... Kent Roosevelt - 8

East
1. Hilliard Darby - 59
2. Mt Vernon - 54
3. Gahanna Lincoln - 47
4. St Charles - 41
5. Bishop Watterson - 26
6. Hilliard Bradley - 23
7. Dublin Jerome - 22
8. Olentangy Liberty - 21
9. Olentangy - 17
10. Dublin Coffman - 10

North
1. St Ignatius - 50
2. Jackson - 44
3. Walsh Jesuit - 41
4. Archbishop Hoban - 35
5. Hudson - 26
6. Kent Roosevelt - 24
7. Villa Angela-St Joseph - 22
8. Brecksville-BH - 18
9. Brunswick - 8
10. Stow-Munroe Falls - 3

South
1. St Xavier - 48
2. Archbishop Moeller - 45
3. Elder - 42
4. Badin - 29
5. LaSalle - 26
6. Mason - 20
7. Oak Hills - 18
8. Fairfield - 14
9. Sycamore - 9
10. Loveland - 7

West
1. Lakota East - 56
2. Beavercreek - 54
3. Bishop Fenwick - 51
4. Archbishop Alter - 43
5. Carroll - 34
6. Northmont - 26
7. Chaminade Julienne - 24
8. Kettering Fairmont - 24
9. Centerville - 9
10. Edgewood - 4

Big implications with these rankings as generally the Centerville Elite Tournament is based off the state rankings. Not sure who the final 2 teams are, but it appears the bracket may set up as such:

#1 Darby vs. #8 Centerville
#2 St Xavier vs. #7 Dublin Jerome
#3 Archbishop Moeller vs. #6
#4 vs. #5
I know Elder is in there somewhere - but based on the other two participants, they could be anywhere from #4 to #6.

I’m not asking for 1000% just 100%. God/family/school/ then sport. Why be average at what you do. Be the best or at least give it your all to try and be the best. You enjoy your season!! I know we will.

All really close. Could have an Elder, X, Moe situation between Oak Hills, Mason and Fairfield where they all can beat each other on any given day

Looks like Mason is the clear cut favorite to be #2 in the GMC, as they easily swept Oak Hills last night (10, 22, 12 according to twitter). Mason now has wins over Fairfield, Sycamore and Oak Hills in straight sets.

Can they give Lakota East a good match? Find out next Tuesday... Winner of that match would most likely win GMC.

Looks like Mason is the clear cut favorite to be #2 in the GMC, as they easily swept Oak Hills last night (10, 22, 12 according to twitter). Mason now has wins over Fairfield, Sycamore and Oak Hills in straight sets.

Can they give Lakota East a good match? Find out next Tuesday... Winner of that match would most likely win GMC.

Agree. Next Tuesday will be fun, but I see East winning in 4, maybe 5 if Mason plays a near perfect match.

4/28 Rankings - these will become more important as we get closer to Regional Voting for seeding purposes.

Division 1:
1. Hilliard Darby (20) - 224
2. St Xavier (1) - 206
3. Archbishop Moeller (1) - 179
4. Mt Vernon - 132
5. Gahanna Lincoln (2) - 125
6. Beavercreek - 108
6. Elder - 108
8. Lakota East - 93
9. St Ignatius - 63
10. Jackson - 27
..... Olentangy - 14