State attendance yesterday

players are better defenders and willing to actually play defense. If you can’t figure it out, I can’t help you.

Decided to check the GWOC stats from 2006 (the furthest the stats went back) compared to 2022. 8 of the top ten scorers in 2022 shot better than 50%. only 2 in the top 10 in scoring shot better than 50% in 2006. Seems like they are improving.
So you are taking stats from 8 kids and making a general statement ? You need to take some analytics classes.

So you are taking stats from 8 kids and making a general statement ? You need to take some analytics classes.
Where does your analysis come from? Would love to know where you got this nugget…
The players spend more time traveling to bullcrap money making weekend AAu tournaments than they do practicing simple jump shots.

Where does your analysis come from? Would love to know where you got this nugget…
Common sense goes a long way in this world. It's lacking in most. So....you want to assume that players defensive capabilities are better now, but there offense isn't. I guess you can improve athletically as a defensive player but not an offensive player. Lol. Maybe basketball should be played like football, where they have offensive players and defensive players. WHen you see scores in the 20's and 30's...it's not because of some special defense...it's because kids can't shoot...because they don't put the time in the gym practicing shooting. They spend their time playing bullcrap, meaningless games on the weekends.

Any kid that OSU is interested in basketball or football will probably already been comped tickets to a game and stood on the sidelines or visited the locker room long before the state tournament.
I’m talking about basketball. A sport OSU is really not interested in, in many ways.

You can talk ad nauseum about Ohio State’s basketball problems and deservedly so, but not hosting the boys basketball tournament is not one of them. The decisions about who to recruit/where kids want to go are made during the AAU circuit.

40-50 years ago that may be the case, along with attracting their classmates who are there to watch and may decide to attend school there. Now that it’s more competitive to attend there (and all major colleges/universities), they don’t need to have thousands of kids on campus over the course of a weekend in hopes they are impressed and decide to go there.
They need to do/try something. Their basketball program is very mediocre. AAU is not the only answer.

What Ohio high school basketball and football players has TOSU lost in recruiting lately because the high school tournaments weren't on TOSU's campus?
I don’t know, but the Basketball Roster they have now is very average. I’d say they’ve missed out on a few recruits for various reasons lately.

But they are worse offensive players. Let's be real. No fundamentals. The players spend more time traveling to bullcrap money making weekend AAu tournaments than they do practicing simple jump shots.

That may be true for some but no means can you make that a blanket statement for all.. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. We are clearly looking through different lenses.

Common sense goes a long way in this world. It's lacking in most. So....you want to assume that players defensive capabilities are better now, but there offense isn't. I guess you can improve athletically as a defensive player but not an offensive player. Lol. Maybe basketball should be played like football, where they have offensive players and defensive players. WHen you see scores in the 20's and 30's...it's not because of some special defense...it's because kids can't shoot...because they don't put the time in the gym practicing shooting. They spend their time playing bullcrap, meaningless games on the weekends.
You act like shooting is the only thing preventing more scoring. Check out film of a game from the 80’s and compare it to now. Defenses are allowed to be much more handsy and physical now. THAT’S why scoring is down.

What I did was a comparison of two years not a full analytical analysis. Still gives you a rough idea that kids shoot better now. Besides I even said I took the stats from the top 10 kids so I doubt you would fully understand true analytics if that analysis was presented to you

You act like shooting is the only thing preventing more scoring. Check out film of a game from the 80’s and compare it to now. Defenses are allowed to be much more handsy and physical now. THAT’S why scoring is down.
Agree 100 percent with that as well.

They need to do/try something. Their basketball program is very mediocre. AAU is not the only answer.

If they’re basing it on kids getting to the state tournament, they will get even more mediocre

You are greatly over estimating the impact that high school results have on Ohio State’s (or any major program’s) recruiting. The only way coaches are showing up at high school games these days are to see a guy they’re already in on, or to show some love to a guy who is already committed.

They have a really good class coming in next year. What Holtmann does with it remains to be seen. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m not optimistic.

Last edited:
I don’t know, but the Basketball Roster they have now is very average. I’d say they’ve missed out on a few recruits for various reasons lately.
What high school players from Ohio in the last few years have made an impact at out-of-state schools?

If they’re basing it on kids getting to the state tournament, they will get even more mediocre

You are greatly over estimating the impact that high school results have on Ohio State’s (or any major program’s) recruiting. The only way coaches are showing up at high school games these days are to see a guy they’re already in on, or to show some love to a guy who is already committed.

They have a really good class coming in next year. What Holtmann does with it remains to be seen. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m not optimistic.
Ohio basketball has been down for years, except for a few top programs. The fact that THE State university in the State capital won’t host the state tournament is is a Red flag on what THE OSU thinks of basketball in general. Good central location and plenty of tradition, but it’s all gone , like plenty of other things in Ohio basketball.

Ohio State won't host because of the prospect of the basketball teams hosting that same weekend.....either the women's first round or the men's NIT. St John Arena is no longer hosting sporting events. It is home to the athletic training program and a weight room.
Ohio basketball has been down for years, except for a few top programs. The fact that THE State university in the State capital won’t host the state tournament is is a Red flag on what THE OSU thinks of basketball in general. Good central location and plenty of tradition, but it’s all gone , like plenty of other things in Ohio basketball.

Pretty sure it's because they don't want to chance having their women's basketball team getting to host the first/second round of the NCAA and not being able to because of the state tourney.

Does anyone have any feedback on how the atmosphere outside the arena is? We have a group of 20-25 guys that, since Covid last year, decided to just have it in his garage and buy the games vs giving Dayton a try. I've heard there isn't near the tailgating atmosphere that Columbus had nor is there much to do within walking distance. Can anyone give any feedback on this?

So Ohio High School basketball has been down (agreed) and your answer is for to sign MORE players from these programs? Outside of Carry, who are they missing out that was there this year? Did you want the staff on missing their NCAA games in order to watch them play?

So Ohio High School basketball has been down (agreed) and your answer is for to sign MORE players from these programs? Outside of Carry, who are they missing out that was there this year? Did you want the staff on missing their NCAA games in order to watch them play?
Really ? What a stupid question. Bottom line, OSU should get ,usually , 2-3 of the top 10 players in the state every year. Hosting the state tournament has nothing to do with this. Incredible that this program is back to a little above mediocrity. Amazing a school this big and powerful has 1 national championship to its credit. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll have a top 5 recruiting class soon and make a run to at least to a final 4.

Really ? What a stupid question. Bottom line, OSU should get ,usually , 2-3 of the top 10 players in the state every year. Hosting the state tournament has nothing to do with this. Incredible that this program is back to a little above mediocrity. Amazing a school this big and powerful has 1 national championship to its credit. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll have a top 5 recruiting class soon and make a run to at least to a final 4.

You are the one advocating for them to host the state tournament to boost recruiting. I’m saying it makes zero difference.

As of this writing they have the #5 class in the country according to 247 with 3 top 60 players. Nobody in Ohio is in the Top 100. Whether this class performs or not, is a completely different story.

You are the one advocating for them to host the state tournament to boost recruiting. I’m saying it makes zero difference.

As of this writing they have the #5 class in the country according to 247 with 3 top 60 players. Nobody in Ohio is in the Top 100. Whether this class performs or not, is a completely different story.
Ok. You win. No state tournament in Columbus. No players from Ohio going to OSU. I will not change my stance on the BS that they won’t host the tournament. Also, there basketball program is mediocre to what it should be. We’ll see if all these Great recruits can get T OSU out of the first round next year. OH - O - NO.

UD Arena was a welcomed upgrade over the Schott, plenty of parking, and no issues with tailgating. IMO, there isn't one player in the state who thinks "well, I would've gone to Ohio State but I didn't get to play my state tourney game in Columbus". OSU doesn't want the hassle, and that's more than fine with me. And I say this as a person from north-central Ohio who had to drive an extra hour to get to Dayton.

HS sports is in a bad way attendance wise. Most are not interested anymore. The smaller/ middle of the road schools draw ok in regular season and tournaments to a point. Many mid major and some major college programs have very average attendance. The days of walk-in fans are Very limited. Too much internet, too much Y-tube …..

Even NCAA Sweet 16 games struggle with attendance. Was watching the Michigan game and it was only about 20% full in the section behind their bench and all the way to 1/2 court.

Different issue but TV timeouts, video reviews and in game coach interviews are making the NCAA basketball Tournament almost unbearable to watch. Of course I am glued to the TV though ;).

Even NCAA Sweet 16 games struggle with attendance. Was watching the Michigan game and it was only about 20% full in the section behind their bench and all the way to 1/2 court.

Different issue but TV timeouts, video reviews and in game coach interviews are making the NCAA basketball Tournament almost unbearable to watch. Of course I am glued to the TV though ;).

So for the most part those games sell out. They fill in as the game goes on. Houston/Arizona fans may not necessarily be interested in being there the whole. Behind Michigan’s bench for example was the Arizona “section”

The 2nd game looked pretty crowded, and Houston was well represented (obviously it is a short drive for their fans and flights for everyone else)

Iowa St/Kansas should have Chicago fairly full tonight. In the East. Carolina always travels well and Purdue should too. St. Peter’s is a short drive.

So they can say it used to be better. Better site, better teams, Better attendance….

I’ve learned as I’ve aged that if you enjoy something go, and different people have different means of enjoying it.

I hate attending live sporting events anymore, but I don’t begrudge people who do enjoy/go. I have 2 big screens in my family room that are a bunch better experience than anything I’ll see.

There is something ironic about people complaining about technology ruining their game experience (digital tickets, people would rather watch it on their device) while expressing it on technology.

No matter how much any of us want it to come back, the days of a caravan following your team across the state to play are over (with a couple small exceptions)