15. Sandy Valley
16. Marlington
17. Malvern
18. East Canton
19. Tuslaw
20. Minerva
21. St. Thomas Aquinas

A few comments on the media landscape as we start a new season:

- Radio - Most of the players are back for another season. WHBC with their radio, stream and TV replay games. ESPN 990 as the ever present, season long home to the Massillon Tigers. Q92 has really picked it up over the last few years with their multitude of streaming games. They cover 6-8 games on any given Friday. It seems as though iHeart radio is a reluctant participant, but they continue to air a game of the week in both the Akron area (WHLO) and Stark County (Rock 106.9)

- Print - It looks like this one is going to take a hit further this year. Friday night scores won't be hitting the paper until Sunday (Rep) or Monday (Independent). This is the first year in memory that the Rep didn't print a preview insert. The Inde usually publishes a separate preview on the Tigers that either I missed or it hasn't run yet. With longtime Inde/Tigers beat writer Chris Easterling moving to the Beacon with the Browns beat, I'm not sure the Independent has a dedicated sports writer. The days of a daily story on the Tigers from the time camp opens until the end of the season appear to be over. While I believe both papers cover high school sports as well as anyone in the state, their are only so many writers to cover a lot of games on Friday night.

TV/Online - Both Big Time Sports and WHBC continue their TV replay games (check local listings). WIVM (wivmtv.com) is the over the air partner. Massillon High school continues their student run production of Tiger games on MCTV. Massillon Live (facebook) has provided their own audio coverage of Massillon games for several years. Stark Media Team is the new player this year ( https://www.facebook.com/StarkMedia1 ). I'm still not sure all of what they plan, as a lot of stuff still seems to be "coming soon", like their website. Within the last 6 weeks they have covered live the East-West game, the multi team 7 on 7 at Hall of Fame Village, and the Stark County Coaches preview from St. Haralambos. They are producing a weekly, 30 minute wrap up/preview show on WIVM and youtube. WHBC is adding a Saturday morning show on facebook only.

Thoughts, additions or corrections?

My Preseason Ranking of the Stark County Area Teams

1. Massillon
2. McKinley
3. Lake
4. Jackson
5. Perry
6. Green
7. GlenOak
8. Alliance
9. Canton South
10. Hoover
11. Central Catholic
12. Louisville
13. Fairless
14. Northwest
15. Sandy Valley
16. Marlington
17. Malvern
18. East Canton
19. Tuslaw
20. Minerva
21. St. Thomas Aquinas
Canton south should be a little higher IMO. I think they will have a solid year

- Radio - Most of the players are back for another season. WHBC with their radio, stream and TV replay games. ESPN 990 as the ever present, season long home to the Massillon Tigers. Q92 has really picked it up over the last few years with their multitude of streaming games. They cover 6-8 games on any given Friday. It seems as though iHeart radio is a reluctant participant, but they continue to air a game of the week in both the Akron area (WHLO) and Stark County (Rock 106.9)

- Print - It looks like this one is going to take a hit further this year. Friday night scores won't be hitting the paper until Sunday (Rep) or Monday (Independent). This is the first year in memory that the Rep didn't print a preview insert. The Inde usually publishes a separate preview on the Tigers that either I missed or it hasn't run yet. With longtime Inde/Tigers beat writer Chris Easterling moving to the Beacon with the Browns beat, I'm not sure the Independent has a dedicated sports writer. The days of a daily story on the Tigers from the time camp opens until the end of the season appear to be over. While I believe both papers cover high school sports as well as anyone in the state, their are only so many writers to cover a lot of games on Friday night.

TV/Online - Both Big Time Sports and WHBC continue their TV replay games (check local listings). WIVM (wivmtv.com) is the over the air partner. Massillon High school continues their student run production of Tiger games on MCTV. Massillon Live (facebook) has provided their own audio coverage of Massillon games for several years. Stark Media Team is the new player this year ( https://www.facebook.com/StarkMedia1 ). I'm still not sure all of what they plan, as a lot of stuff still seems to be "coming soon", like their website. Within the last 6 weeks they have covered live the East-West game, the multi team 7 on 7 at Hall of Fame Village, and the Stark County Coaches preview from St. Haralambos. They are producing a weekly, 30 minute wrap up/preview show on WIVM and youtube. WHBC is adding a Saturday morning show on facebook only.

I miss Fridaynightohio.com. They used to have stories every day, highlights posted hours after the game, detailed accurate team schedules+ rosters, and no one had to pay to read it. The guys who ran that site did an awesome job for years.

Who is Sam Bourquin working for? Thought he was with 92.5 but not sure.

The Rep is a shell of its former self. Sunday papers keep shrinking. The Inde is mostly a re-run of the Rep.

There are many ways to stream games now if you want to take the time to find what each school does.

Radio (streamed on phone) is still my primary source of HS football radio now. Q92 is trying hard but WHBC is still the king. I still like hearing Sammy B and I enjoyed Palmisano and Sammy together when they were together..

Last edited:
The Rep didn't have a preview section this year? What the heck is going on over there? Always a great resource to find out about all the teams in the area heading into the season.

The Rep didn't have a preview section this year? What the heck is going on over there? Always a great resource to find out about all the teams in the area heading into the season.

They did capsule previews of each team with returning players, promising newcomers, and a couple paragraphs with comments from the coach. It ran over a couple days but most in Sunday's printed paper. And the online version is behind a paywall.

Preseason
1-Massillon
2-McKinley
3-Hoover
4-Jackson
5-GlenOak
6-Lake
7-Perry
8-Louisville
9-Alliance
10-Canton South
11-CCC
12-Fairless
13-Northwest
14-Marlington
15-Sandy Valley
16-Tuslaw
17-Aquinas
18-East Canton
19-Malvern
20-Minerva

Last edited:
Drew Pasteur's Predictions for all County Teams:

Massillon by 2 over Moeller
Mentor by 17 over McKinley
Lake by 22 over Alliance
Jackson by 24 over Akron East
Hoover by 33 over Buchtel
Perry by 23 over Central
Green by 42 over Ellet
Shaker Heights by 4 over GlenOak
Stuebenville by 25 over Louisville
East Liverpool by 20 over Minerva
St Clairsville by 17 over Canton South
Tuslaw by 20 over Connoton Valley
Sandy Valley by 1 over Fairless
Norton by 4 over Northwest
Marlington by 9 over Coventry
Malvern by 44 over East Palestine
Struthers by 25 over St Thomas

I'll be at Central at Perry tomorrow night, then Jackson vs Akron East Friday. Always make an effort to get to the Thursday kickoff game of the high school football season. I hope it's as entertaining as last year's Battle of 13th Ave, a 28-26 OT victory for the Crusaders, though Perry looks to have a stronger team this year.

Drew Pasteur's Predictions for all County Teams:

Massillon by 2 over Moeller
Mentor by 17 over McKinley
Lake by 22 over Alliance
Jackson by 24 over Akron East
Hoover by 33 over Buchtel
Perry by 23 over Central
Green by 42 over Ellet
Shaker Heights by 4 over GlenOak
Stuebenville by 25 over Louisville
East Liverpool by 20 over Minerva
St Clairsville by 17 over Canton South
Tuslaw by 20 over Connoton Valley
Sandy Valley by 1 over Fairless
Norton by 4 over Northwest
Marlington by 9 over Coventry
Malvern by 44 over East Palestine
Struthers by 25 over St Thomas
A lot of bad predictions in there.

Will the Perry vs Central game be live streamed???
If you’re talking radio, Rock 106.9 and WHBC 1480. Perry will televise the game live for a fee. Go to the Perry Local Schools website and follow the instructions.

Reactions: Bud
If Buchtel's QB ever gets his passing game going, the Grifs will be a worthy opponent, they have size and speed. Hoover by 33 over Buchtel, hum?