Staffing shortages, watch this

I feel so strongly about Covid vaccines that it's crept into my job performance and work relationships. Oh wait, no it hasn't. So far this year I've received two performance bonuses and the maximum possible merit raise, so....
You making minimum wage yet?

Marine- “I would rather quit than be forced to get the vaccine”

government- “You already got the vaccines for malaria, dengue, chicken pox, cholera, measles, mumps and rubella in order to join the military. How is this different”?

Marine- ?
If you’d actually been reading other peoples posts along the way, at least with some measure of intellectual curiosity, you’d be able to answer that question yourself, goof.

Well to start with covid is exponentially less dangerous to this marine then malaria, dengue, chicken pox, cholera, measles, mumps and rubella.

Do the marines mandate the Shingles vaccine?

For this morning's entertainment, please explain how/why each of those are more lethal or worthy of vaccination than covid?

For this morning's entertainment, please explain how/why each of those are more lethal or worthy of vaccination than covid?

I'm glad you prefaced your dopey question with, "for this morning's entertainment."

I hope that means it wasn't serious and we're free to laugh hardily at it!

Frickin' hilarious.....

Every single one of those people should be filing a religious or medical exemption or both at every applicable office, and ride it out until the very end.

don’t blink.
My company does work for numerous health care providers across the country. Some allow an exemption, some do not. One large and prestigious one even allows a "philosophical" exemption (why have an exemption right? lol).

zeeman's 30% is about spot on. We are in the midst of a labor shortage and owners are mandating vaccines making matters worse which of course is all a reaction to the Federal policies. Taking 30% away from an already depleted labor market is not wise. Manufacturing plants to universities are mandating vaccinations because the alternative is constant quarantines. It will be interesting to see who wins out. I imagine some people will protest and collect unemployment but eventually, in order to make a living, will have to get the vax.

I've said all along that I understood the caution in the beginning but Covid needs to be treated like the flu at this point and things like quarantines and mandates need to go away.

My company does work for numerous health care providers across the country. Some allow an exemption, some do not. One large and prestigious one even allows a "philosophical" exemption (why have an exemption right? lol).

zeeman's 30% is about spot on. We are in the midst of a labor shortage and owners are mandating vaccines making matters worse which of course is all a reaction to the Federal policies. Taking 30% away from an already depleted labor market is not wise. Manufacturing plants to universities are mandating vaccinations because the alternative is constant quarantines. It will be interesting to see who wins out. I imagine some people will protest and collect unemployment but eventually, in order to make a living, will have to get the vax.

I've said all along that I understood the caution in the beginning but Covid needs to be treated like the flu at this point and things like quarantines and mandates need to go away.
I'll take it a step further and say herd immunity. Gear up hospitals with drugs to treat patients. Make treating patients a national emergency and let's get this thing done. Imo We need every single body in health care. No mandating vaccines.

IB, I respect your opinion as a moderate Democrat. I would like to ask, when you see other Dems (maybe even on this board) basically condemning nonCovid vaxxed (I don’t like to say anti vaxxers because there is a large segment that aren’t against vaccines in general, just this experimental one), does it make you shake your head about the hypocrisy of choice? Many on this board have said from the get go that it’s not about the vaccine so much, rather the right to choose.

When comparing both Pubs and Demos across the hypocrisy lines, it is very difficult. Many Pubs support the right to choose vaccine status but not abortion choice for example. Demos support the right to choose except in matters they deem a “public health emergency”. Philosophically it’s tough to grapple with.

I'm tired of hearing about political Covid IB. F the politics and let's root for each other. Individuals make decisions good and bad. Let's respect them with Covid and stop demonizing personal decisions. I can tell you without a doubt, if you chose not to be vaccinated, I would want you to have the best care possible. I would care about your recovery. I would root for you.

IB, I respect your opinion as a moderate Democrat. I would like to ask, when you see other Dems (maybe even on this board) basically condemning nonCovid vaxxed (I don’t like to say anti vaxxers because there is a large segment that aren’t against vaccines in general, just this experimental one), does it make you shake your head about the hypocrisy of choice? Many on this board have said from the get go that it’s not about the vaccine so much, rather the right to choose.

When comparing both Pubs and Demos across the hypocrisy lines, it is very difficult. Many Pubs support the right to choose vaccine status but not abortion choice for example. Demos support the right to choose except in matters they deem a “public health emergency”. Philosophically it’s tough to grapple with.
IEW nailed it. It has become so overly political. I do not think anyone should be forcing someone to do something like this. I'm actually against abortion because facts show the fetus as a living being. It is not like getting a mole removed. I also think it is a wedge issue and do not let it drive all of my political decisions and of course is apples to oranges when it comes to comparing it to the vaccine outside of the whole "choice" BS.

When it comes to the vaccination our government, or anyone for that matter, should understand that forcing people to do something against their will is never good. Figure out the best approach based on the will of the people. Americans do not trust the government and they do not like being told what to do so their answer is trust us and do as we say. Lol.

Quarantines made sense in the beginning. Not so much today and they are the #1 reason private firms are going to mandates.

There is a better approach here IMO.

The sheer callousness of the pro-vax crowd is disheartening. Whatever thread it was (they all run together now) where Slap posted a story about the clown lady that died, that’s awful humanity. Especially for the side that proclaims “to care”, except it’s with the caveat “as long as you’re doing it our way”. I’m sure there are awful conservative websites that I’m unaware of, just speaking on what I saw with this case. We’re at the point where we’re celebrating a death because one side or the other believes it proves their point? Lunacy.

I know you didn't ask me, but here is a problem.
This is not a political issue about taking the vaccine. PERIOD! They media and politicians are making it political.
People are revolting from mandates all over the world. I'm not getting the vaccine. I respect anyone that has. We have made it a point to have our 92 year old inlaw vaxed. My mother of 77 years is vaxed. I don't want the chemicals in My body at this point in time.

Careful....they will Nikki manaj you with this common sense.

Progress, for you, I guess. Good.

But it doesn't really matter if they "want" to accept an exemption or not. File one. Make your own form up and object on paper, ask them to sign two in your presence - one for your file and one to keep. Clog up their offices. Email them one. Do the same at National Labor Relations Board.

Make your place to be part of a class action, or maybe get lost wages later if you do it by the numbers.

This is all a bluff by Biden and his Pharma bosses. They are counting on the notion that people will give up before the cases are heard, and Gubmint will just back off after they have shoved the shot up enough of your hoo-has. Duh. I bet they even think that the 30 percent no shot blacks are poor and would give in first when the job is in jeopardy. Screw Public Health pharma b1tches.

In other news, I saw a consumer finance rag spam me with the news that booster approval means 3-4 billion more each for Pfizer and Moderna. God damn these people.

Last edited:

Fair points. As long as we're guessing, what % of would-be applicants are hesitant to join food service, high count workforce, or other close contact job environments (that are most in need), due to low vaccination rates and high case counts? Or staying home to care for or protect kids/family members?

Personally I think the correct assessment is push vax rates higher and case counts lower, than somehow convince everyone (against reality) hey it's no big deal don't worry about it. Those are the 2 options.

Another fundamental shift that has yet to be fully understood is many discovered opportunities in the work from home and/or digital/gig economy. It will take time for employers to recalibrate for the types of jobs/environments the labor pool is seeking. The most immediate attempt, and quickest to implement, we are seeing is increased wage & benefits, but there will come others.

I know you didn't ask me, but here is a problem.
This is not a political issue about taking the vaccine. PERIOD! They media and politicians are making it political.
People are revolting from mandates all over the world. I'm not getting the vaccine. I respect anyone that has. We have made it a point to have our 92 year old inlaw vaxed. My mother of 77 years is vaxed. I don't want the chemicals in My body at this point in time.
Obviously anyone can respond, I just wanted to get IBs take because he is a Demo (albeit a much more traditional one).
I completely agree with you IEW. It’s sort of nuts that there really isn’t a trusted media source on either side. Everyone can find an article supporting their stance for almost anything. Everyone can find “science” to support their stance on anything. If I want to find something to support my stance, go to Fox, if Slap wants to support his stance, he can find something. The rapid access to information has made things more confrontational and opposing. Sort of like “I can argue with anyone because I can find something to support me. 25 years ago, going to the library to find information was too tedious for everyday arguments, or finding a newspaper or magazine article to support your stance took at least a little legwork. Point being (as evidenced on this board) we are all armed with limitless information to support whatever we want to support. It’s become almost too easy to have an opinion if that makes sense.

Btw irish I also agree w/ you on no federal vaccine mandate, for non-employees. Have said so before. Despite the countless lives saved over how many decades we have never had one, and don't have one. We may disagree however whether testing is a reasonable option to mandate, in lieu of a vaccine. I think it is. As well as strongly encouraging it. And supporting the overwhelming opinion of medical community.

I think the VAST majority of private employers want it. Many have already enacted them, including Fox of all people, others are more leery of making their views known. I think providing them cover was definitely part of the admin's calculation. We all want the same thing. Full economic recovery. (well... maybe).

Btw irish I also agree w/ you on no federal vaccine mandate, for non-employees. Have said so before. Despite the countless lives saved over how many decades we have never had one, and don't have one. We may disagree however whether testing is a reasonable option to mandate, in lieu of a vaccine. I think it is. As well as strongly encouraging it. And supporting the overwhelming opinion of medical community.

I think the VAST majority of private employers want it. Many have already enacted them, including Fox of all people, others are more leery of making their views known. I think providing them cover was definitely part of the admin's calculation. We all want the same thing. Full economic recovery. (well... maybe).
as an alternative to testing weekly or proof of vaccine, you should be able to provide proof that you have had a positive test in the past. Reinfection rates are fairly low.

I'm not sure there's a good test to prove you've had covid previously if it was a while ago, antibody blood serum levels dissipate in 2-3 months from the studies I've looked at.

The sheer callousness of the pro-vax crowd is disheartening. Whatever thread it was (they all run together now) where Slap posted a story about the clown lady that died, that’s awful humanity. Especially for the side that proclaims “to care”, except it’s with the caveat “as long as you’re doing it our way”. I’m sure there are awful conservative websites that I’m unaware of, just speaking on what I saw with this case. We’re at the point where we’re celebrating a death because one side or the other believes it proves their point? Lunacy.

Alot of truth to that. But, am curious of your opinion, what is the correct emotion to feel when a prominent anti-vax conspiracist, who urges listeners against it, dies of covid? Or an strong follower dies? Anger, sorrow, pity, celebration of their stance? I mean if you're at the person's funeral that's a pretty big elephant to ignore. Awkward at best, no?

Last edited: